Game Thread | Montreal vs. Maple Leafs | 11/13/07

Spider-Man NL

The next set of games will not make or break the season, imo, but they will tell us a lot about the team. How do they handle pressure. Are they going to dominate teams, or play down to them. Are they going to sit on leads and collapse in the 3rd. etc.

It will be interesting for sure, but I agree with Wamsley, you can't project the season because teams are not consistent.

I kind of laugh at the media who keep projecting the Sens point totals and comparing them to the 70s Habs. Its like predicting a shutout based on the first 10 minutes of play. :)

I wasn't trying to look ahead, just put emphasis on the two 9 game sets we have versus division rivals to show how important they are. Every point earned by the habs in these games are points lost to the team they are fighting for a playoff spot with. 4 point games and all

Yup.. so what is interesting to me is how they handle it. Do they collapse? Do they treat these games as super important or do they come out flat all the time. Do they come out on fire and make a statement (I sure hope so).

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that these inter-divison games are highly important, but the way i see it, any game against any team who is in position to make the playoffs in the Eastern conference is a crucial game. Unlike the old playoff format where it was the top 4 teams in each division that made the playoffs, today it'S the top 8 in each conference, so a game against the Lightning in march is just as important as a game vs Ottawa, Buffalo, Toronto or Boston.

I kind of laugh at the media who keep projecting the Sens point totals and comparing them to the 70s Habs. Its like predicting a shutout based on the first 10 minutes of play. :)

Nice I think I will steal that :clap:

It's been confirmed on RDS.ca that Price will get the start tomorrow.

Huet in 4 career starts at teh ACC has a 0-3 record with a horrible 4.56GAA. Nothing to be proud of.

I like the idea of sending Price in nets. he seems to have a calming effect on his team mates...hopefully it'll lead to a win in regulaiton time!

Too bad grabs is out, he played one of his best games saturday... But I must confess I prefer Bégin than Grabs on the fourth...

I barely noticed him at all, I wish Lapiere would get a call up, but I guess there has got to be a good reason why he hasen't.

I really, really dont knwo what i will do if we lose this and go 0-3 against the Leafs. You guys living in Quebec think you hate it, if only you could live in Toronto and experience it. Last game was bad enough...

PLEASE WIN! GO PRICE! GO HABS GO

I really, really dont knwo what i will do if we lose this and go 0-3 against the Leafs. You guys living in Quebec think you hate it, if only you could live in Toronto and experience it. Last game was bad enough...

PLEASE WIN! GO PRICE! GO HABS GO

If Montreal loses tomorrow it is not the end of the world. They still are up on the Leafs and have games in hand.

Montreal is not inferior to Toronto. So probabilities dictate that the Habs begin to get some breaks.

If they are better like we think, than the Leafs will need to continue to get breaks to win. That is also not going to happen.

In the last 2 seasons they are 8-5-3 versus the Leafs. So my guess is they come up big tomorrow

Edited by Wamsley01

In the last 2 seasons they are 8-5-3 versus the Leafs. So my guess is they come up big tomorrow

Are you sure about that? I was under the impression that Toronto has had our number for the past 5 or 6 years!!??

Are you sure about that? I was under the impression that Toronto has had our number for the past 5 or 6 years!!??

Toronto owned the Habs between 1999-2004. Since the lockout it has been pretty even. Mind you because of OT/SOL the Leafs are probably 8-5-1 as well.

sigh I wish it was the simple. NOTHING WILL SHUT UP A LEAF FAN

or a leaf player !! especially when it comes to complaining about refs !!

shut out for price !!

With Vesa Toskala battling the flu, Andrew Raycroft will start in goal for the Leafs against Montreal on Tuesday. - TSN

sweet !! toskala was the reason why the laffs won the last game

Edited by marky_and_komi

sigh I wish it was the simple. NOTHING WILL SHUT UP A LEAF FAN

There are many things that will shut up leaf fans. With so many different calibres to pick from the problem lies in which one to use. :hlogo:

If Montreal loses tomorrow it is not the end of the world. They still are up on the Leafs and have games in hand.

Montreal is not inferior to Toronto.

I agree 100%. Personally I could care less if Habs go 0-8 vs Laffs this year. Let the idiots think they are great. All I care aboot is that Habs are 4-3 in playoffs against em. ;)

I guess Huet does have a crappy record in ACC, but I'm not convinced of the idea of Price playing. After Huet gets a shutout they play Price, after Sens game which Huet was huge, they play Price. Not sure how Huet feels aboot this. Seems kinda odd to bench him after playing great. What else do they want him to do? Score the winning goal too? :P

I have no clue how they decide which games Price starts. :huh:

With the Habs/Laffs dumb stupid luck history in each others rinks I semi expect Habs will get totally out played tonight big time. However Habs will walk away with 2 points. :clap:

I guess Huet does have a crappy record in ACC, but I'm not convinced of the idea of Price playing. After Huet gets a shutout they play Price, after Sens game which Huet was huge, they play Price. Not sure how Huet feels aboot this. Seems kinda odd to bench him after playing great. What else do they want him to do? Score the winning goal too?

Like I said, Huet has been HORRIBLE in the ACC, why take a chance that he has another lousy performance in Toronto? let's evaluate the kid, see what he'll do with some extra pressure?! It's not like he has disappointed us up to now this season.

Huet is a big boy, he can handle it. Carbo and the coaching staff knew 10 days ago that Price was starting tonight. Carbo said that he'd like Price to get at least one start every 4 games. You can't let the kid sit on the bench for stretches of 2 weeks between starts, it's not fair to him. Anyways, aren't the Habs supposed to be grooming Price to become the next no. 1 goalie? I believe so. Huet understands perfectly what is going on. Huet will be in nets on Friday against the Sabres, and Price will be back in nets on saturday vs the Bruins(two games in 2 nights)!

Let's not forget that huet can't handle more than 50 games in a season. He has never done it before, and I don't believe he'll start doing it at 32 years of age. Give Huet 48-50 starts and give Price 32-34 starts.

With the Habs/Laffs dumb stupid luck history in each others rinks I semi expect Habs will get totally out played tonight big time. However Habs will walk away with 2 points.

I don'T want to sound like a party pooper, but i just heard on the Team 990 that in their last 9 games in Ontario(Toronto and Ottawa) the Habs are 0-9...ouch!!! Not a nice record!

Toskala out. Raycroft in due to the flu.

Woohoo!

Raycroft isn't as good as Toskala...hopefully he won't be able to stop a beach ball from going through his legs!

Edited by Habsfan

There are many things that will shut up leaf fans. With so many different calibres to pick from the problem lies in which one to use. :hlogo:

1967. That is it. They have no comeback. Nothing else will do it.

I watched Leaf fans tell me their 58 point team was better than Montreal's 105 point team in the 80s.

I watched Leaf fans tell me that they had the better team in 93 even though Montreal won the Cup.

I watched Leaf fans tell me that they were better last season even though they were down by 14 points.

(unfortunately their ridiculous blind loyalty paid off last season)

One thing about Leaf fans. They think that if they utter a negative word about their team that they are not

true fans. They take pride in being stupid and blindly loyal. Montreal could win 9-0 tonight, Price could stop 6 shots.

The Leafs could get outshot 75-6 and a Leaf fan will tell you if Toskala had started we would have won in a shootout.

Never underestimate the ridiculousness of a Leaf fan

Never underestimate the ridiculousness of a Leaf fan

I noticed that there's alot of Leaf bashing on this board. Not that I have any problems with that! :eyes: ;) But I also noticed that most of the Bashing comes from people in Ontario.

Most Habs fans who live in Montreal will tell you that our true rivals are the pooh-bears. We've played them 31 times in the playoffs and unlike the Leaves, we've played each other twice in the past 5 years. The Leaves were last swept by the habs back in 1979. I always thought it peculiar that soo much attention(from Ontario Habs fans) went to the leaves, but I guess seeing as you guys live in "leaves land" it would be normal for you to hate them even more. (you are stuck hearing about the leaves all the time, whereas over here with RDS, we almost never hear about the leaves!

In any case, I enjoy reading all the Leaves bashing going on, and I also enjoy pooh-bear bashing, as well as Flyer bashing. I hate all three teams equally!

just a few thoughts i wanted to share with y'all!! ;) :ghg:

Edited by Habsfan

I noticed that there's alot of Leaf bashing on this board. Not that I have any problems with that! :eyes: ;) But I also noticed that most of the Bashing comes from people in Ontario.

Most Habs fans who live in Montreal will tell you that our true rivals are the pooh-bears. We've played them 31 times in the playoffs and unlike the Leaves, we've played each other twice in the past 5 years...unlike the Leaves who were last swept by the habs back in 1979. I always thought it peculiar that soo much attention went to the leaves, but I guess seeing as you guys live in "leaf land" it would be normal for you to hate them even more. (you are stcuk hearing about the leaves all the time where as over here with RDS we almost never hear about the leaves!

That's because the infestation of leaf fans in Ontario are always in our faces.

I hate the Broons, but I hate Toronto waaaaay more.

Most Habs fans who live in Montreal will tell you that our true rivals are the pooh-bears. We've played them 31 times in the playoffs and unlike the Leaves, we've played each other twice in the past 5 years. The Leaves were last swept by the habs back in 1979. I always thought it peculiar that soo much attention(from Ontario Habs fans) went to the leaves, but I guess seeing as you guys live in "leaves land" it would be normal for you to hate them even more. (you are stuck hearing about the leaves all the time, whereas over here with RDS, we almost never hear about the leaves!

In any case, I enjoy reading all the Leaves bashing going on, and I also enjoy pooh-bear bashing, as well as Flyer bashing. I hate all three teams equally!

I hated the Bruins in the Bourque, Neely and Moog heyday. But never as much as the Leafs. I could care less about the Flyers. My hate for the Leafs has always been with their fans. They are the most arrogant fan base in sports, yet they have accomplished absolutley nothing in 40 years.

Yankees, Red Wings, Lakers, Cowboys, Bulls all of these fan bases are justified in their arrogance. Their teams have all had dynasties or mini dynasties. I can take and understand their pomposity, Leaf fans. It is essentially jealousy, envy, little dick syndrome.

I hated the Bruins in the Bourque, Neely and Moog heyday. But never as much as the Leafs. I could care less about the Flyers. My hate for the Leafs has always been with their fans. They are the most arrogant fan base in sports, yet they have accomplished absolutley nothing in 40 years.

Yankees, Red Wings, Lakers, Cowboys, Bulls all of these fan bases are justified in their arrogance. Their teams have all had dynasties or mini dynasties. I can take and understand their pomposity, Leaf fans. It is essentially jealousy, envy, little dick syndrome.

You are on fire today Wamsley!

Most of everything you have posted here is what I believe as well. The Bruins in that era (when they were beating us), made me so angry...The Leafs/leaf nation is so far beyond that though. Living so close to their heart doesn't help either. The fans and the media are brutal. Have you ever watched Sportsnet Ontario? You think TSN is bad, these guys are on a whole other level. :puke:

You are on fire today Wamsley!

Most of everything you have posted here is what I believe as well. The Bruins in that era (when they were beating us), made me so angry...The Leafs/leaf nation is so far beyond that though. Living so close to their heart doesn't help either. The fans and the media are brutal. Have you ever watched Sportsnet Ontario? You think TSN is bad, these guys are on a whole other level. :puke:

It is like being bombarded by brain dead zombies in 28 days later. You can be totally logical and they keep coming...uuuuuuhhh uhhhh. Hands out, Leaf sweater on and the only thing that stops them is 1967.

I hated the Flyers for what they did to us in the mid to late 90's! I hated the bruins for exactly the reason you mentionned. Neely seemed to have Patrick's number, plus they beat us a couple of times in the playoffs back in the late 80's!