Where is the true Hockey Mecca to play in?

REV-G

There have always been comments and declarations from the Toronto Media that Toronto is the Hockey Meccca of the world. It drives all the rest of us crazy! Well there's proof that Toronto is certainly not the hockey mecca. A few weeks ago it was reported that Alex Ovechkin said that his all time favourite place to play hockey was in Montreal. Well in Tuesday nights Montreal Chicago game Bob Mackenzie said that he's not surprised that Alex Ovechkin loves to play in Montreal, because it's the best place to play in the league. Mackenzie said it's everyone's favourite place to play because the atmosphere is unique. It's a packed house even in warm-up, and the fans know their hockey. The lights, the history, the ambiance, the noise; Mackenzie said there's no place like it in the NHL. He even went further to say, it must be tough to play at home for the Habs, where every team that visits burns to win in Montreal. Matthew Barnaby, who was also on the panel of hockey experts that night, quickly supported what Mackenzie said. Barnaby added that when he played he never felt as up for a game, as when he visited the Bell Centre to play. So two hockey players from different teams plus one of the best and highly respected hockey analysts all said that Montreal is the best and most looked forward place to play hockey. Montreal is hockey Mecca! Case closed. Now would someone please inform the Toronto media of the real truth!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ti's gotta be an original 6 town.

Montreal has the lead but as long as we dont make it far in the playoffs, some players could be scared to play here.

Toronto: second best place, especially when they win...which they wont do until upper management is cleared.

I could also say new york or Detroit but theres always another sport ahead of hockey.

Leksand! If u concider how little people live there and still they manage to get 5000+ to a swedish division 2 club they have to get an honorable mentioning. Id say Leksand should be ranked over most NHL-cities.

Real mecca of hockey? No place gives me the shivers like Montreal (and thats through a tv). When we lead a game in the 3rd period and play well its extatic and Ive never heard such commitment from any other arena.

Montreal, Detroit and all the canadian teams except Ottawa are the best hockeytown in the NHL

but there is no pride to be a Mecca.

True however that some habs or leafs supporters become over enthousiastics after 1 or 2 win they

transform themselves into radical extremist.

Like i said every canadian team is a special place to be because of the support of the fans, no need to know

who's fan are the best.

There have always been comments and declarations from the Toronto Media that Toronto is the Hockey Meccca of the world. It drives all the rest of us crazy! Well there's proof that Toronto is certainly not the hockey mecca. A few weeks ago it was reported that Alex Ovechkin said that his all time favourite place to play hockey was in Montreal. Well in Tuesday nights Montreal Chicago game Bob Mackenzie said that he's not surprised that Alex Ovechkin loves to play in Montreal, because it's the best place to play in the league. Mackenzie said it's everyone's favourite place to play because the atmosphere is unique. It's a packed house even in warm-up, and the fans know their hockey. The lights, the history, the ambiance, the noise; Mackenzie said there's no place like it in the NHL. He even went further to say, it must be tough to play at home for the Habs, where every team that visits burns to win in Montreal. Matthew Barnaby, who was also on the panel of hockey experts that night, quickly supported what Mackenzie said. Barnaby added that when he played he never felt as up for a game, as when he visited the Bell Centre to play. So two hockey players from different teams plus one of the best and highly respected hockey analysts all said that Montreal is the best and most looked forward place to play hockey. Montreal is hockey Mecca! Case closed. Now would someone please inform the Toronto media of the real truth!

Mackenzie even said that Montreal was "the mecca of Hockey". Case closed! True hockey fans have known this for a long time!

Montreal, Toronto, Detroit and New York. The others pale in comparison.

I'd say in the States you'd have to go with Minnesota. Hockey is the number one sport there, you can't say the same thing about the other places.

Montreal obviosly is #1. I'll give #2 to Toronto, Ottawa and then Buffalo.

Ottawa ?? everytime I see a game on tv, it's totally quiet in the third with a 1 goal lead for the Sens. I really think Ottawa is bottom 10 of the league.

Leksand! If u concider how little people live there and still they manage to get 5000+ to a swedish division 2 club they have to get an honorable mentioning. Id say Leksand should be ranked over most NHL-cities.

Real mecca of hockey? No place gives me the shivers like Montreal (and thats through a tv). When we lead a game in the 3rd period and play well its extatic and Ive never heard such commitment from any other arena.

I thought the little people were from Lilliput?

Montreal, Halifax, Winnepeg,Toronto's outskirts, not the actual city which is comprised of 90% immigrant.

Edited by johnnyhasbeen

Montreal, end of.

Toronto, a bit, due to the blind credulence of 20 000 saps night in, night out, that passes for passion until, oh, about 5 minutes left of every game.

Chicago used to rock. So did the Arena in the Peg, and the old Boston Garden. Minnesota seems really good now. Philly when they had Lindros. Never been, but the Shark Tank looks amusing.

Always thought Calgary and the Couve are really quite quiet.

True, in NYC and Detroit other sports take precedence, but in those arenas during a game nothing else exists for those fans, especially Rags fans can get very rowdy.

The food, wine and culture are much better in Blefuscu, though.

Montreal, Halifax, Winnepeg,Toronto's outskirts, not the actual city which is comprised of 90% immigrant.

90% immigrant? City of Toronto? Not that I know of.

I live in T.O. and have been to the Gardens and the ACC. I have travelled to Montreal yearly for 10 years.

The Bell Centre is miles ahead of the ACC in atmosphere. It is not close. Buffalo has better atmosphere than the ACC.

The Gardens was great, but the $50,000 seat licensing fee destroyed that in the ACC.

But if you live in this city when the Leafs are in the playoffs it is pretty electric.

I still believe Montreal is the Mecca. Toronto is probably number 2. All the Canadian cities are the main show in town.

Toronto could care less about the Jays/Raps/Argos unless they are winning.

Toronto is a truly phenomenal hockey market. But that organization is in total disarray, and it starts at the top. There's a reason Gainey came here instead of there. He knew a bad outfit when he saw one, versus one committed to building something.

What Montreal has that TO doesn't, beyond organizational competence, is a heritage of true greatness. Jean Beliveau works for us. So does Guy Lafleur. The list of bona-fide greats is a mile long - including in the GM's office, and to a lesser degree behind the bench. There's so many Cup rings at the Bell Centre they can use them as Christmas decorations, for God's sake. Or body piercings.

Were I a UFA interested in a 'mecca,' though, I'd go to Detroit because that organization would give me the best chance of winning a Cup in an original six city. New York, I'd go for the culture, but as a hockey organization? Give me Montreal.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Toronto is a truly phenomenal hockey market. But that organization is in total disarray, and it starts at the top. There's a reason Gainey came here instead of there. He knew a bad outfit when he saw one, versus one committed to building something.

I'm pretty sure that Gainey came here because he was a former Habs player and the job was open. He had the ties, credibility and bilingualism to be the GM here. That's not to say that he would or wouldn't have gone to Toronto in a different situation.

What Montreal has that TO doesn't, beyond organizational competence, is a heritage of true greatness. Jean Beliveau works for us. So does Guy Lafleur. The list of bona-fide greats is a mile long - including in the GM's office, and to a lesser degree behind the bench. There's so many Cup rings at the Bell Centre they can use them as Christmas decorations, for God's sake. Or body piercings.

I'd say that the Leafs lack of success is actually an argument for it being the hockey Mecca. They haven't won shit in forty years and they're bigger than ever.

Montreal is of course the hockey Mecca, but people really can't argue that Toronto isn't. Both places have a rabid fanbase and you can't say one fanbase is more rabid than the other.

Ottawa ?? everytime I see a game on tv, it's totally quiet in the third with a 1 goal lead for the Sens. I really think Ottawa is bottom 10 of the league.

Yeah its a joke if they did not have such friggin loud speakers when the Habs or Leafs played they would get booed out of thier own Building.

Sens fans are quiet very quiet.

The 1st organized game in history (I believe it's March 3, 1875) was in Montreal.

I vote for Montreal but must make honourable mention of a place in my home province - Windsor, Nova Scotia. Historians have discounted Windsor as the birthplace of "shinny hockey" but if that is so would someone please explain to me where forged skates and wooden sticks dating back to the year 1800 came from?

The 1st organized game in history (I believe it's March 3, 1875) was in Montreal.

I vote for Montreal but must make honourable mention of a place in my home province - Windsor, Nova Scotia. Historians have discounted Windsor as the birthplace of "shinny hockey" but if that is so would someone please explain to me where forged skates and wooden sticks dating back to the year 1800 came from?

That would be the worlds oldest skate factory which they tore down a year or 2 ago in Dartmouth!

Edited by johnnyhasbeen

My top 5 markets...

1. The Mecca baby! Montreal.

2. Toronto, You gotta give them credit..

3. Minnesota, the only place in the US where hockey is king.

4. Philadelphia, look at their attendance figures, the comcast Centre is always full, plus the Fans are nasty!

5. Detroit, Hockleytown USA deserves to be in the top 5.

Honorable mention...Edmonton, Colorado, San José, St-Louis and Buffalo.

I'd say that the Leafs lack of success is actually an argument for it being the hockey Mecca. They haven't won shit in forty years and they're bigger than ever.

You could almost say the same about the habs. The Habs have never sucked as much as they have over the past ten years (in their entire history), yet they are bigger than ever in this city...plus they sell out the biggest(by far) building in the league!

My top 5 markets...

1. The Mecca baby! Montreal.

2. Toronto, You gotta give them credit..

3. Minnesota, the only place in the US where hockey is king.

4. Philadelphia, look at their attendance figures, the comcast Centre is always full, plus the Fans are nasty!

5. Detroit, Hockleytown USA deserves to be in the top 5.

Honorable mention...Edmonton, Colorado, San José, St-Louis and Buffalo.

You could almost say the same about the habs. The Habs have never sucked as much as they have over the past ten years (in their entire history), yet they are bigger than ever in this city...plus they sell out the biggest(by far) building in the league!

Yeah, but it's not quite the same considering we've won like 10 cups since their last one.

But I like the new generation of Habs fans. They're more knowledgeable about the business world of hockey, and they're not as hung up about having a team full of French guys (although a few more would be nice).

I'm pretty sure that Gainey came here because he was a former Habs player and the job was open. He had the ties, credibility and bilingualism to be the GM here. That's not to say that he would or wouldn't have gone to Toronto in a different situation.

Montreal is of course the hockey Mecca, but people really can't argue that Toronto isn't. Both places have a rabid fanbase and you can't say one fanbase is more rabid than the other.

Gainey was going to go to Toronto, but the mess of the Leafs upper management screwed it all up. Dryden tried to bring him in and Pat Quinn went to his boys on the board and pulled the strings to block it. Gainey saw the chaos and said no thanks.

Leaf fans and habs fans used to be polar opposites. One threw a parade after an 80 point season, one reacted in disgust for losing in the 3rd round.

But as the Habs began to lose, the fans began to drop expectations and habs fans are not much different than Leaf fans now. The only difference is that they have a great history and habs fans are able to hold that over Leaf fans heads.

The biggest thing that seperates the two franchises is the Bell Centre. The ACC is full of suits and Old white people wearing Zubaz.

The Bell Centre is affordable, full of energy and a lot of young adults who sing and blow the roof off the building with every goal.

Montreal is Head and shoulders above Toronto because of that.

Edited by Wamsley01

I know nothing about the Canadian cities. But, among U.S. cities, the loudest, most interested, most consistent crowds are in Minnesota, Detroit, Colorado, Dallas, Columbus, and San Jose.

The Shark Tank is one of the loudest arenas around, Blue Jackets fans and Stars fans show up consistently and genuinely enjoy the game (even though Dallas folks are not the most astute fans out there as far as knowing the rules and cheering accordingly).

New York doesn't make it. They don't care about hockey at all. They don't show up (especially on Long Island), and they haven't given the Rangers the time of day since 1994.

I know nothing about the Canadian cities. But, among U.S. cities, the loudest, most interested, most consistent crowds are in Minnesota, Detroit, Colorado, Dallas, Columbus, and San Jose.

The Shark Tank is one of the loudest arenas around, Blue Jackets fans and Stars fans show up consistently and genuinely enjoy the game (even though Dallas folks are not the most astute fans out there as far as knowing the rules and cheering accordingly).

New York doesn't make it. They don't care about hockey at all. They don't show up (especially on Long Island), and they haven't given the Rangers the time of day since 1994.

It's a shame what Wirtz did to the Hawks. I used to love watching big games from Chicago Stadium.

Winnipeg as well, the white out used to look great and they made a lot of noise. That was me second favourite Canadian team.

I Loved Hawerchuk

Edited by Wamsley01