I hope Bob Gainey is working to sign Huet

REV-G

Like I said, I am happy with 2 years @ 5-6M a year over 3-4 years @ 4M per year.

I am more concerned about length of term than $$.

As far as being contender's next season. Let's close out this season strong first ok :)

Hee hee, I hear that :lol: But you also have to consider good scenarios as well as bad.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hee hee, I hear that :lol: But you also have to consider good scenarios as well as bad.

Oh, I have considered it, and it allows me to sleep with a giant smile at night.

With the reports on McDonagh (Komisarekesque) and Price's future it is exactly what we dreamed about in the pre-season.

A stacked D, with a franchise goalie. That is contender status for 10 years, ala Jersey.

With the development of Pleks and the Kostitsyn brothers, I am excited as hell.

You make a good case. My own view inclines closer to where we both think Gainey is (i.e., keep Huet even if it means a worrisome contract). The thing is, our team might be ready to contend sooner than we thought - it could conceivably happen as soon as next season. I'd hate to end up in a scenario like the Wings or Sens have stupidly endured over the past few seasons, that of having a serious contender with question marks in goal. Price couldn't cut it as a starter this season; it strikes me as very chancy to anoint him the starter now, after he's put together some good AHL play. Halak has proven that he can play well for a 20-game stretch. Not exactly Jacques Plante there. Conversely, it seems safe to say that Huet can be a quality #1 for us for at least another two years. That buys Price all the time he'll likely need. If, by year three, we're stuck with an overpaid backup, well, worse things have happened than a team having two #1 goalies, especially given that Price will presumably still be a bargain at that stage. So I say, sign the man.

:clap: The most sensible poster in this thread.

To the people who think we can sign Huet for 1 year: YOU ARE ON CRACK. He's 32, finally become a UFA with a few years of starting under his belt, this is payoff time. The careers of these guys aren't too long and nothing is guaranteed, so when the money's on the table they go for it. I seriously doubt he'd go for a 2 year contract, that's what he signed last time after half a season of starting. It's very plausible that there would be people willing to offer him a 4 year contract at 18 million or even more. Now I agree that this is too much and too long, and he surely wouldn't take under three years. I think having him on the payroll for an extra year IF (and this is still an if, people) Price has established himself as the no. 1 by then is worth keeping him around next year or and the year after when the job's still his to lose. So maybe a three year 14 mil deal paying him 5.5, 5, then 3.5 could keep him for when we need him and leaves him easier to unload.

Wamsley brought up a 2-year deal worth 10-12 million. He might go for this rather than the guaranteed extra money if he feels good about his health and career (although I doubt he would), but this brings an added cap problem for the year after next when we'll be giving a whole bunch of raises out to people and probably trying to get a big name or the right pieces to make us a serious contender.

But it still bugs me that Huet is actually not WORTH this kind of money (4-5 million per year). He's just not a big athletic number one guy, and this year he's had shaky stretches along with good stretches. The thing is that his good stretches have coincided with the team playing well, keeping the shots to the outside, and getting good offense. When the team's been bad he hasn't bailed them out. He hasn't been stealing games for us. Price may be ready as soon as next season (which I think is unlikely, the year after could happen) to be that guy who steals games for us.

So it's a tough question, but judging by what's going on this year it looks like Bob will be trying to keep Huet, so I just hope it's under 4 years for something reasonable (under 5 million per). And maybe some of us can pray that Huet will pass up his payday to fit in perfectly with our plans.

Hmm, I just had a thought and I think I figured out what Bob is going to do. I bet he Ribieros him. i.e. gives him a generous contract with no intention of paying it. I strongly believe that Bob gave Ribs that contract just to trade him. Other GMs would have a higher rating for Huet because Bob must have faith in him to pay them that much, and if he is making that much then he must be good. :lol:

Also Theo was moved and his contract was even larger and longer than Ribs. The Avs believed Theo was good and his large contract probably had something to do with it.

Bob will do in the 6 mil/yr x 4 yrs = 24 mil or 5mil/yr x 5yrs range with full intention of trading him in year 1 or 2 depending on Prices progress. Bob seems to have the decency to reward his players before he is forced to get rid of them. I could even see Bob signing Huet soon and trading him at the deadline. Teams would pay a lot to get a soon to be UFA Huet so just imagine what they would give up to have him locked up under contract. 6 mil/yr isnt crazy, it just is for the Habs if its long term which it doesnt have to be. ;)

Like said this years UFA goalie list is slim so if Bob resigns Huet any would be bidder will probably still need a goalie come next seasons trade deadline. If Price & Halak look ready by then Huet and his remaining 18 mil/3yrs contract are gone.

Personally I dont think Halak is movable. Halak doesnt have much worth yet so Habs wouldnt get much in return for him. He is still unproven in the NHL and he could become the next Vokoun so its probably better to hang on to him. A Price/Halak tandem in a year or 2 isnt looking like its a bad thing. Besides after Huet is gone who will be the backup if Bob moves Halak? Why would he do that? It'd be silly.

The idea of seeing how Huet does down the strech and into the playoffs is a double edged sword. Let's say he does take us deep into the playoffs. What then? He is unsigned, proven performer both regular season and now playoffs. How hard is it to sign him then? It would be better to have him under contract now. Good goalies are never hard to move. If you can move a bum like Theo with his big contract, and he was so off and on, how could it be hard to move Huet? 4 years maybe to long considrering his age, but a 2 year deal would be a very good thing for the future of the team and goalie development.

Oh, and I am not on crack. Coffee Bailey's yes! Pot? Soon. Jager? Later.

Edited by johnnyhasbeen

Hmm, I just had a thought and I think I figured out what Bob is going to do. I bet he Ribieros him. i.e. gives him a generous contract with no intention of paying it. I strongly believe that Bob gave Ribs that contract just to trade him. Other GMs would have a higher rating for Huet because Bob must have faith in him to pay them that much, and if he is making that much then he must be good. :lol:

Also Theo was moved and his contract was even larger and longer than Ribs. The Avs believed Theo was good and his large contract probably had something to do with it.

Bob will do in the 6 mil/yr x 4 yrs = 24 mil or 5mil/yr x 5yrs range with full intention of trading him in year 1 or 2 depending on Prices progress. Bob seems to have the decency to reward his players before he is forced to get rid of them. I could even see Bob signing Huet soon and trading him at the deadline. Teams would pay a lot to get a soon to be UFA Huet so just imagine what they would give up to have him locked up under contract. 6 mil/yr isnt crazy, it just is for the Habs if its long term which it doesnt have to be. ;)

Like said this years UFA goalie list is slim so if Bob resigns Huet any would be bidder will probably still need a goalie come next seasons trade deadline. If Price & Halak look ready by then Huet and his remaining 18 mil/3yrs contract are gone.

Personally I dont think Halak is movable. Halak doesnt have much worth yet so Habs wouldnt get much in return for him. He is still unproven in the NHL and he could become the next Vokoun so its probably better to hang on to him. A Price/Halak tandem in a year or 2 isnt looking like its a bad thing. Besides after Huet is gone who will be the backup if Bob moves Halak? Why would he do that? It'd be silly.

Well I'd be hella pissed if bob gave him 5-6 million over 4 years, that is way overpaying him. The Ribeiro contract wasn't that unreasonable, if I remember correctly it was a one year deal. And you can't really compare Huet, who has won diddlysquat, not even one playoff series, to Theodore who won the Hart and Vezina and pushed a mediocre team through a few first rounds. Also, the Theo deal is kind of like the Thornton one, everyone saw it was a mistake so it's less likely to happen again.

And seriously, there would be absolutely zero takers for Huet at 6 million a year for three more years. Goalies aren't nearly as easy to move as you seem to think. If Huet has a below par season, or even a pretty ordinary one, no one will bite on him. Look at all the goalies recently who have signed a big deal, then underperformed, and now the teams are stuck with them. Khabibulin, Raycroft, Emery, Gerber, Mason, Theodore.

What type of comment is that?

A hyperbolic one.

But I don't think that is the reality of the new NHL. It was during a time when GMs did not really understand cap implications.

Plus the move was made by a GM who got the hell out of dodge 2 months later.

I will just quote Chris Higgins, for people who don't understand that Huet is this team's goalie...

"It's amazing to think that people wanted Carey Price to be the starter at the beginning of the year," said winger Christopher Higgins. "I mean, Carey's going to be an unbelievable goalie, there's no question.

"He's got the mindset and the talent. But Huet is great. We love him in the locker-room. He's got a great personality. He's very humble but he's competitive. He hates giving up even one goal. That's all you can ask of a goalie."

I will just quote Chris Higgins, for people who don't understand that Huet is this team's goalie...

"It's amazing to think that people wanted Carey Price to be the starter at the beginning of the year," said winger Christopher Higgins. "I mean, Carey's going to be an unbelievable goalie, there's no question.

"He's got the mindset and the talent. But Huet is great. We love him in the locker-room. He's got a great personality. He's very humble but he's competitive. He hates giving up even one goal. That's all you can ask of a goalie."

The discussion has nothing to do with this season. It is about cap implications which players don't give a shit about.

Huet is the number 1. Everybody understands that. but the debate is how long he will be and do you invest in a guy for 3-4 years who may

not be the starter in year 2 of the deal.

Also, I did not hear Higgins saying those things in November/December. If Huet get's injured and Price wins 8 in a row I am sure the players

will be blowing smoke up his ass as well.

Go ask the Penguins what they think of Ty Conklin right now and what they felt like when they realized that their season was in the hands

of an NHL flameout 2 months ago.

Montreal is winning. All you are going to hear from the dressing room right now is positivity. I am not going to bank a 3-4 year deal because

Higgins is happy with a good month of January.

Edited by Wamsley01

Others have said this but I'll add my concurment. Gainey should take care of Huet, give him his 5-6 Mill over 4-5 years with the understanding that when the time comes he will probably be dealt. Everybody wins. Huet gets the big money contract he's earned in the prime of his career, and the habs will probably get better trade value if if in two years they're trading a guy who comes with a solid contratc (as opposed to trying to trade a UFA rental). Hopefully Huet likes playing here enough to agree.

This is just my impression, but I do get the feeling that Huet is a low-key guy with good perspective on things, who is likely to appreciate this organization for giving him the chance to put himself in this position and for generally supporting him. And he might not welcome the pressure of being some other franchise's 'Big Acquisition', expected to carry them on his back signlehandedly. While I don't think that means he'll settle for minimum wage, it does mean that he might not play hardball - c.f. Markov.

Well Huet hasn't yet shown the durability of an elite goaltender - he's good though, no question. Should Montreal re-sign him? Hell yes, if there's any chance of contention next season and as has been pointed out earlier, if Gainey wasn't intending to re-sign him, why wouldn't Halak actually be playing?

Seems to me like they toyed with the notion by playing Price at the earlier parts of the year, but it turned out that he couldn't handle that much of a workload right now/

This is just my impression, but I do get the feeling that Huet is a low-key guy with good perspective on things, who is likely to appreciate this organization for giving him the chance to put himself in this position and for generally supporting him. And he might not welcome the pressure of being some other franchise's 'Big Acquisition', expected to carry them on his back signlehandedly. While I don't think that means he'll settle for minimum wage, it does mean that he might not play hardball - c.f. Markov.

Markov didn't need to play hardball, I bet he tripped over himself trying to put ink to paper when he heard the terms of the deal.

Markov didn't need to play hardball, I bet he tripped over himself trying to put ink to paper when he heard the terms of the deal.

I was implying that he didn't play hardball. What can I say? If you think he wouldn't have gotten at least that much elsewhere, you're not paying attention to the fevered orgy of spending that is UFA season.

I was implying that he didn't play hardball. What can I say? If you think he wouldn't have gotten at least that much elsewhere, you're not paying attention to the fevered orgy of spending that is UFA season.

I think what he got was around the top end of what he would have been offered. I don't see it as a bad overpayment, or really an overpayment at all, though I think we could have had him for closer to 5 million a season. But that's not a big deal. The Hamrlik deal was an overpayment IMO, I think he would have accepted something closer to what Hannan got.

Well ya. Bob typically tends to over sign players for aboot $500-750K more than they are worth per year. Thats why I say Huet will get 6 mil/yr. No clue why some people are he-ing and ha-ing aboot it. After all Broduer gets 5.25mil/yr. Sure Huet is no Broduer, but who is, not to mention that Broduer is grossly under paid so NJ can be competitive. It was more important to Broduer to make less so his team could remain competitive.

Dont forget that Luongo and Kabibulin get 6.75 mil/yr, DiPietro gets 4.5 mil/yr till he's like 60. Vokoun averages aboot 5.5/yr, Kipper is getting 8mil/yr and he wasnt even a UFA landing on a new team. Lundqvuist gets 4.25 and he is still a RFA. Last years cup winner Giguere gets 5.5, 5.5, 6, 7 mil in his contract. Huet at 6 mil a yr isnt completely unreasonable.

Solid proven goalies are not hard to move unless they arent under long term contract. Nobody wanted to give up any picks for a soon to be UFA Bryzgalov. Most of the goalies that have been moved in recent years werent bonified winners. i.e. Roloson, Kipper. Theo was a proven winner and his 4.5, 5.5, 6 mil contract was taken on with open arms by the Avs. Sure Huet isnt a proven as Theo was, yet. This year is far from being over. Go Habs Go!! Oui Believe!! ;)

The Habs could be the next NJ and Avs and win the Cup 3 times in 10 yrs, but unlike them the Habs could actually do it with multiple goalies as long as Bob can retain Huet.

The discussion has nothing to do with this season. It is about cap implications which players don't give a shit about.

Huet is the number 1. Everybody understands that. but the debate is how long he will be and do you invest in a guy for 3-4 years who may

not be the starter in year 2 of the deal.

Also, I did not hear Higgins saying those things in November/December. If Huet get's injured and Price wins 8 in a row I am sure the players

will be blowing smoke up his ass as well.

Go ask the Penguins what they think of Ty Conklin right now and what they felt like when they realized that their season was in the hands

of an NHL flameout 2 months ago.

Montreal is winning. All you are going to hear from the dressing room right now is positivity. I am not going to bank a 3-4 year deal because

Higgins is happy with a good month of January.

If we give Huet $4mill, for 4 years, it is peanuts. With Price being cheap, we will not have much invested in goaltending. If Price takes over, we could probably trade Huet, or waiver trade him.

The cap goes up every year. (Projected to be $53 Million next year).

I don't see us having a cap issue that requires us to be afraid of locking up a top vetern goalie. I also don't want to bet on Price taking over until he shows he can do it, and he so far has proved to me he needs time in the minors and then more time as a backup.

the worse thing they can do now that the team is improving is take a step back in goal.

If we give Huet $4mill, for 4 years, it is peanuts. With Price being cheap, we will not have much invested in goaltending. If Price takes over, we could probably trade Huet, or waiver trade him.

The cap goes up every year. (Projected to be $53 Million next year).

I don't see us having a cap issue that requires us to be afraid of locking up a top vetern goalie. I also don't want to bet on Price taking over until he shows he can do it, and he so far has proved to me he needs time in the minors and then more time as a backup.

the worse thing they can do now that the team is improving is take a step back in goal.

Like I have said before, you are more conservative than I.

Alot of people thought AK46 was not going to be ready this year.

Alot of people thought Pleks ceiling was a 2nd line centre.

These were conversations from 6 months ago. So if you believe that Price is 2-3 years away that is your opinion.

I saw the kid win a Calder Cup with 4 games professional experience by dominating.

I saw him start off strong this year and win a handful of games on his own. So I don't think he is 2-3 years away.

And I am willing to bet that he is strong on his return to the NHL this season.

So if you want to give away $$ go ahead. But $4M a year could be the difference between keeping Komisarek, or Higgins

or Pleks, or Kostitsyn. So you guys continue to believe that you can just trade a goalie no problem and piss away cap money.

I disagree, I will disagree next season, and the season after.

You do not sign a goalie for 4 years and pay starters money unless you are going to start him for 4 years.

Agree, disagree I care not. Time will tell who is right. But from studying the NBA and the NFL you do not throw away

cap money because you are afraid. The reason you are looking at a possible 19-0 NFL team is because they were

aggressive and rid themselves of players that were about to A. either decline or B. had somebody cheaper to take their place.

The habs have 2 players who are cheaper and can take his place. If it costs you next year, it wont in 2 years.

Huet is not Luongo, Brodeur etc.

IMO, nothing is going to change it except for Huet winning the Conn Smythe trophy and the Habs winning the Cup.

Edited by Wamsley01

Well ya. Bob typically tends to over sign players for aboot $500-750K more than they are worth per year. Thats why I say Huet will get 6 mil/yr. No clue why some people are he-ing and ha-ing aboot it. After all Broduer gets 5.25mil/yr. Sure Huet is no Broduer, but who is, not to mention that Broduer is grossly under paid so NJ can be competitive. It was more important to Broduer to make less so his team could remain competitive.

Just a note, Brodeur takes a big hometown discount cuz he wants to stay in Jersey. He is divorced and his ex-wife/kid is there so if he moved he would only see the kid during the summer. Otherwise I think Brodeur would be getting a lot more.

IMO, nothing is going to change it except for Huet winning the Conn Smythe trophy and the Habs winning the Cup.

You are a King among men.

Your posts in this thread are fantastic and I have loved most if not all of your contributions since you have started posting regularly.

You are a King among men.

Your posts in this thread are fantastic and I have loved most if not all of your contributions since you have started posting regularly.

I too am a huge fan of Wamsley01, even if I disagree with him on this specific point. (For instance, Kostityn has really only broken through in the last two months - but for a goalie to take 1/3 of a season to 'break through' could be enough to cost us a playoff spot; also, it's less a question of Price needing 2-3 years to be NHL-ready, and more of the value of giving him the soft landing of a platoon system of the sort enjoyed by Roy). All the same, he always makes a good case.

I too am a huge fan of Wamsley01, even if I disagree with him on this specific point. (For instance, Kostityn has really only broken through in the last two months - but for a goalie to take 1/3 of a season to 'break through' could be enough to cost us a playoff spot; also, it's less a question of Price needing 2-3 years to be NHL-ready, and more of the value of giving him the soft landing of a platoon system of the sort enjoyed by Roy). All the same, he always makes a good case.

Good points. We probably won't need Huet 3-4 years down the line, but for next year we definitely do unless Price returns this season and takes over (in which case Huet would probably want to leave). Even then, I'd doubt that Price is ready to become a full-time NHL starter, and platooning him would definitely be a safer bet not only for the season, but for Price's future. I wouldn't want to throw him out to the dogs like Pittsburgh did with Fleury.