I hope Bob Gainey is working to sign Huet

REV-G

I liked Theodore - he had that cocky swagger, that lightning-quick lateral movement, and eventually an MVP - and I found his meltdown sudden, painful and shocking. From a Habs' fan standpoint, I was relieved Bob was able to move him; from a human standpoint, I was relieved that he was able to go somewhere where he'd be less relentlessly visible. If he recovers his form, it'll be a nice story all around. He was a good-to-great goalie for us and deserves our affection for carrying the team on his back during some of the darkest moments in its entire history. Anyone who hates the guy is playing a minor variation on the theme of resenting Patrick Roy for that one game against Detroit, forgetting the Cups and great years before that.

Very nicely said and pretty much my sentiments to a tee.

Now then. Did anybody note Fisher's story in Friday's Gazette? Basically, a ringing endorsement of Huet as the only guy who can offer the Habs 'playoff quality' goaltending. Note the implied critique of Price.

http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/hockey...a01&k=73754

Not that Red knows it all, but he's a voice to be listened to.

Huet is our only choice until Price or even Halak step it up, but it still would be an error signing him for the 6 or 7 mil per he will probably be asking IMHO.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His hard partying was WELL documented, and that was his choice.

A NHL goalie's skills need to stay razor sharp, drinking heavily, doing coke, constant female distractions, not enough sleep or practice will dull that edge easily and that's clearly what happened.

Well it didn't seem to hurt Grant Fuhr during the Oilers Cup years ^_^ But point taken.

They could've put a cardboard cutout of Fuhr in nets and they would still win 10-8. Some people can handle hard partying better than others, Chelios was notorious also but look at him. Theodore obviously couldn't here in Montreal.

Huet will be looking for top 10 goaltender pay, because he is a top ten goaltender. Bob will give it to him, because as of today Price is still weak at puck tracking. He is very skilled and solid positionaly, but gets burned where Huet notmally doesn't. If Price develops well, Huet will be great trade bait next year. I hope he stays for the stability of this young team.

Huet will be looking for top 10 goaltender pay, because he is a top ten goaltender. Bob will give it to him, because as of today Price is still weak at puck tracking. He is very skilled and solid positionaly, but gets burned where Huet notmally doesn't. If Price develops well, Huet will be great trade bait next year. I hope he stays for the stability of this young team.

Huet is currently ranked 18th in wins, 16th in GAA, 25th in GP & 7th in save %, 5th worst in OTL, 40th of 54 goalies in shootout save %. I support Huet, I cheer for him when he's in our net, but I fail to see why anyone would consider him top 10 in the league. I'm thinking too many people make too big a deal of the save % stat and ignore the rest of the stats and the goalies clutch performance. Huet is a middle of the pack starter in my opinion...no disrespect meant to him or anyone, just trying to be honest. Hell, I wish he was a bonafide top 3, I really do as it would be great for the team.

I hope everybody here realizes Price is 20.

everybody has to realize that although he is judged as an elite player he is just a kid

just like Latendresse and S. Kostitsyn. I personally may want to annoint him saviour

but it is based on business alone. WJC MVP, Calder Cup MVP.

I only ask the Huet prove to me alone that he is better than what the Habs are today.

If they are a 4th seed take them to a 1st seed.

If they are an 6th seed take them to a 4th seed.

If they are an 8th seed take them to a 6th seed.

If they are a 10th seed take them to an 8th seed.

If they are an 8th seed take us to an upset win in round 1.

Otherwise, go away and thanks for the memories.

I am done with people pointing out Price's weaknesses. He is a kid.

Huet is currently ranked 18th in wins, 16th in GAA, 25th in GP & 7th in save %, 5th worst in OTL, 40th of 54 goalies in shootout save %. I support Huet, I cheer for him when he's in our net, but I fail to see why anyone would consider him top 10 in the league. I'm thinking too many people make too big a deal of the save % stat and ignore the rest of the stats and the goalies clutch performance. Huet is a middle of the pack starter in my opinion...no disrespect meant to him or anyone, just trying to be honest. Hell, I wish he was a bonafide top 3, I really do as it would be great for the team.

Save percentage is the one stat out of the mess that you just listed that can be controlled by the goalie. Are you saying that Luongo in Florida was a middle of the pack goalie. He saw more rubber than a ..well..., but his save percentage was fantastic. His wins and GAA were not top teir though. I'm not saying Huet is near Luongo, who IMO is an elite goaltender, but it's our team that is inexperienced and need to gain some character with things like OT wins and Coming from behind. You are right about shootout wins though, and considering this, I hereby retract my previous statement. Huet is now a top 15 goalie. But I'm not moving from there man. I say good day. :D

Edited by BCHabnut

Well to go back to how this thread started I do not want Huet resigned I actually would prefer him traded.

He CAN NOT STEP UP IN THE CLUTCH.

Teams he can not play against

Toronto

BUffalo

Ottawa

Days of the week he can not play

Saturday.

Well to go back to how this thread started I do not want Huet resigned I actually would prefer him traded.

He CAN NOT STEP UP IN THE CLUTCH.

Teams he can not play against

Toronto

BUffalo

Ottawa

Days of the week he can not play

Saturday.

I'm in this boat too JMMR.

He would bring more to the team by his departure (trade return) then staying.

Maybe we can swing a three way with L.A. and Florida and have Jokinen come to us.

Don't worry, I took the better odds and bought a lottery ticket :)

I don't think Price has earned criticism, but he is a rookie and there's always risks asking a rookie to carry the load for the team (See Raycroft, Carey, Ward, Fleury). Maybe him and Halak together could, but it's a lot riskier than Huet who is a veteren skilled goalie amongst the top 10 in the league. That's a tough choice for Gainey to run with the rookies who obviously have skills and potential to do the job, but maybe aren't quite up to it yet. Or give another contract to Huet and let him carry the load for a few more years. Both choices are ok, and have their pros and cons (salary saved vs consistency questions). We wouldn't be able to say which would be right except in hindsight. Either way, in Bob I Trust.

I don't think you have to ask either Halak or Price to carry the load.

If the return on Huet is right move him and platoon Halak and Price, maybe even go with the Ottawa mantra "Win and you're in"

Platooning is an easy way to keep both on their game, keep both happy and still have capable goaltending without putting the pressure on one guy.

Still, Huet is easily in the top 10 goalies of the NHL.

There are so many posts like this so I just quoted this one.

Here is a list of goalies I would rather have than Huet - tell me which ones you guys disagree with:

Brodeur, Luongo, Kiprusoff, Giguere, Nabokov, Turco, Vokoun, Hasek, Bryzgalov, Lehtonen, DiPietro, Lundqvist and possibly Ryan Miller as well. That would make Huet the 13th or 14th best goalie in the league, the exact definition of "middle-of-the-pack".

If someone is to say that Huet is "easily" a top 10 goalie, which 4-5 of the guys from the above list is he better than?

Huet should be used as trade bait. Sure he may be a top goaltender but that means that you could get a top player for him as well. A possibility would be Huet, Ryder, Bouillion to Tampa in exchange for Vinny Lecavalier. Another possibility would be shipping Huet to Edmonton for Horcoff and Stoll. Maybe we send Huet to Carolina for Cole.

Maybe these sound dumb but i'm throwing them out there. I dont think that Atlanta would be interested in Huet.

Huet should be used as trade bait. Sure he may be a top goaltender but that means that you could get a top player for him as well. A possibility would be Huet, Ryder, Bouillion to Tampa in exchange for Vinny Lecavalier. Another possibility would be shipping Huet to Edmonton for Horcoff and Stoll. Maybe we send Huet to Carolina for Cole.

Maybe these sound dumb but i'm throwing them out there. I dont think that Atlanta would be interested in Huet.

Hahahaha Tampa might want more than a middle of the pack Goalie a guy whjo cant score anymore and a 7th defenseman for the best player in the league.

Save percentage is the one stat out of the mess that you just listed that can be controlled by the goalie. Are you saying that Luongo in Florida was a middle of the pack goalie. He saw more rubber than a ..well..., but his save percentage was fantastic. His wins and GAA were not top teir though. I'm not saying Huet is near Luongo, who IMO is an elite goaltender, but it's our team that is inexperienced and need to gain some character with things like OT wins and Coming from behind. You are right about shootout wins though, and considering this, I hereby retract my previous statement. Huet is now a top 15 goalie. But I'm not moving from there man. I say good day. :D

I'll happily give you top 15 ^_^ You're right about save % being the stat the goalie controls, but, and there's always a but it's still a deceiving stat. A goalie on a great defensive team can be facing the majority of shots from the outside with a clear view of all of them. Much easier to have a high save % when you face 20 easy shots a game. Then you have the good goalie on the disaster team facing 35-40 shots game in game out with a high percentage being high quality chances from in close, screened, 2 on 1. Much harder for this goalie to have a high save % than the guy on the quality team facing MUCH more reasonable stats.

Here is a list of goalies I would rather have than Huet - tell me which ones you guys disagree with:

Brodeur, Luongo, Kiprusoff, Giguere, Nabokov, Turco, Vokoun, Hasek, Bryzgalov, Lehtonen, DiPietro, Lundqvist and possibly Ryan Miller as well. That would make Huet the 13th or 14th best goalie in the league, the exact definition of "middle-of-the-pack".

If someone is to say that Huet is "easily" a top 10 goalie, which 4-5 of the guys from the above list is he better than?

I don't agree with Hasek as he's not the goalie he used to be and I wouldn't want Lehtonen as he is more injury prone than Huet, but I like the rest of the list. Huet was a throw in guy in the Bonk trade, a nice surprise at a time that we were desperate. All things being equal, I'd rather the trade never happened and we still had the slightly younger Garon. I feel Huet's success comes from him being a great student of Melanson's butterfly block system. I feel as a goalie, he's very average but as a technician employing the butterfly block he is close to the best in the league.

Huet was as good as he'll ever get in 05/06 in my opinion. Price is just showing us the tip of the iceberg. The fans and media need to give him some time to develop at the NHL level. Right out of the gate the guy is a middle of the pack good NHL goalie. Treat him right and give him some time and there's no telling how good this KID will be. It's pointless playing Huet & Price off against each other. They are very different goalies at different ends of their careers. The one thing they have in common is the big CH on their chests. This allows me to cheer for whichever one of them is currently in the net.

Now we want to trade Huet today. What a fickle and predictable bunch.

No kidding. even though Huet had a bad 5 minutes last night, I bet he'll rebound in Florida. As much as some of us here might not like Huet, he is a stable goalie who does a pretty good job, and until Price is ready to take over(which he is not), Huet can do a fine job of holding the fort!

Well, I'm not about to hunt down stats or anything but my feeling is that Huet is better than Lehtonen, Vokoun and Bryzgalov. Although he didn't show it last night :lol:

Now we want to trade Huet today. What a fickle and predictable bunch.

I guess you'd rather the winning goalie last night? Ray "Powder Nose" Emery?

Don't count me in the fickle bunch. All along I've wanted to keep Huet for 1 or possibly 2 years at under 4 mil. Any more than that and it would likely make better business sense to trade him at the deadline and let someone else screw up and over pay him with a 6-7 mil contract for 4 years. Huet is a decent goalie, but is nowhere near the goalie those who idolize him profess him to be. I for one don't judge him based on last nights game, all goalies have the odd one of those...the team didn't help him at all, but nor did he help the team.

I'm actually quite surprised you put Lehtonen on that list. He has the potential to be a top 5 someday, but it isn't right now.

I've always liked the guy. Goalies that are both big and athletic are pretty rare. Price has the potential to be one of those guys but right now, he's big btu I don't think he has the reflexes just yet. His glove hand seems slow to me.

Anyways, I don't think we should trade Huet, I just don't consider him anything better than a middle-of-the-pack starter.

yeah not too sure about Hasek and maybe one more of that pack ... yet last years all star goalie should be ranked among 60 goalies not 30 so your number 13 goalie among 60 no longer is in the middle of the pack

yeah not too sure about Hasek and maybe one more of that pack ... yet last years all star goalie should be ranked among 60 goalies not 30 so your number 13 goalie among 60 no longer is in the middle of the pack

When you consider that theoretically there's 30 STARTING goalies, 13 is most definitely a middle of the pack STARTER. Backup goalies, the other 30 goalies, stand very little chance to be chosen as all stars...if they did, they'd be in the top 30 as starters. Damn, I think I just confused myself ^_^