I hope Bob Gainey is working to sign Huet

REV-G

You are comparing Huet from the age of 28-33 as his first 4 years to Broduer, Luongo, Dipietro, Vokoun, Giguere and Lundqvist as 20-25 year olds?????

You do realize the comparison should be when Brodeur was winning a Stanely Cup at 23 that Huet was playing for Grenoble and Lugano right.

Luongo is just entering Huet's entry level years, Lundqvist is only 26, Dipietro is only 26, Giguere is 30.

Compare Brodeur's numbers from age 28-33 to Huet's. See how that turns out for you. I don't see two Stanley Cups on Huet's resume.

Does anybody here think it is a legitimate comparison to look at Roy when he was 20, 2 years removed from his draft class and Huet as a 28 year old??

28-32 is an athlete's prime. You are comparing Huet's prime to kids who are adjusting to living on their own for the first time, growing into their bodies, adjusting to the spotlight and learning the life of a pro athlete.

I agree with that.. however, I will say that people are over emphasizing early success. What if Roy had not won in 1986? People on this board would have run him out of town. If you are old enough to remember, he had some brutal games. There were a lot of questions about his performance, but everyone simply went.. "he won the cup!!!".

Huet has had one opportunity in the playoffs. His team was not the greatest and collapsed once Koivu went down and the scoring dried up. In fact, we lost to the cup champions... I hardly think this warrants as a negative against Huet. At best, we can say that he didn't win it for us.

I think people need to give Huet a fair chance with a decent team in front of him before they write him off as "good, but can't win with him'. They should also wait until Price wins the job instead of anointing him.

I remember last year when people here claimed that Lats was so good we could dump Kovalev, Ryder, or Higgins because Lats would be a 50 goal scorer this year on the top line.. LOL

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with that.. however, I will say that people are over emphasizing early success. What if Roy had not won in 1986? People on this board would have run him out of town. If you are old enough to remember, he had some brutal games. There were a lot of questions about his performance, but everyone simply went.. "he won the cup!!!".

Huet has had one opportunity in the playoffs. His team was not the greatest and collapsed once Koivu went down and the scoring dried up. In fact, we lost to the cup champions... I hardly think this warrants as a negative against Huet. At best, we can say that he didn't win it for us.

I think people need to give Huet a fair chance with a decent team in front of him before they write him off as "good, but can't win with him'. They should also wait until Price wins the job instead of anointing him.

I remember last year when people here claimed that Lats was so good we could dump Kovalev, Ryder, or Higgins because Lats would be a 50 goal scorer this year on the top line.. LOL

I don't hold those things against Huet. I just don't think he is that good. He is to inconsistent for a 32 year old goalie for my liking. IMO.

I think he is a middle of the pack goalie who when he is hot looks like an elite goalie. But he offsets that with brutal hockey at times.

Huet could catch fire in the playoffs and run the Habs to the Finals, but so could Price. Look at Cam Ward, Steve Penney, Kolzig.

I don't want to invest in him, just like I did not want to invest in Souray. Onward and upward, thanks for bridging the gap, but I would like to

spend my money elsewhere. I think that this team is going to become defensively stingier and stingier as it grows. I think that they will be able

to protect Price. This is not the Rivet, Brisebois, Dykhuis, Traverse years.

I could be wrong, but I will cross that bridge when it comes.

I don't hold those things against Huet. I just don't think he is that good. He is to inconsistent for a 32 year old goalie for my liking. IMO.

I think he is a middle of the pack goalie who when he is hot looks like an elite goalie. But he offsets that with brutal hockey at times.

Huet could catch fire in the playoffs and run the Habs to the Finals, but so could Price. Look at Cam Ward, Steve Penney, Kolzig.

I don't want to invest in him, just like I did not want to invest in Souray. Onward and upward, thanks for bridging the gap, but I would like to

spend my money elsewhere. I think that this team is going to become defensively stingier and stingier as it grows. I think that they will be able

to protect Price. This is not the Rivet, Brisebois, Dykhuis, Traverse years.

I could be wrong, but I will cross that bridge when it comes.

Okay, I buy that. I think Huet is better then you do (I don't think he is a Luongo, Brodeur, etc) and I think Price is a hope, not a guarantee. Again, my preference is that we sign Huet for 3 years, but I suspect we won't get him for that.

I just think it is too soon to make the call on Price to let go Huet. If we don't sign Huet, we need to sign someone else, and I don't know of any other goalie you are going to get that is as good that won't want a long contract or a lot more money.

If they decide to go with Price and Halak (and they might), then imo, they are rolling the dice big time and might just be the reason we don't go anywhere for the next 2 years. I prefer to be very conservative in goal, it is the only position where one guy can completely make or break your team. In this case, Huet may not MAKE this team, but I don't think he will Break it either. Price needs to prove that to me before I hand him the reigns.

Compare Brodeur's numbers from age 28-33 to Huet's. See how that turns out for you. I don't see two Stanley Cups on Huet's resume.

Does anybody here think it is a legitimate comparison to look at Roy when he was 20, 2 years removed from his draft class and Huet as a 28 year old??

How is the reverse of that any truer though?

Obviously any veterans stats will be way more padded and better than any goalie who's beginning their NHL career. Disagreeing with that would be daft.

Besides Broduer & Roy are arguably the 2 best goalies of all time, I'm not suggesting they arent any good. Both accomplished tonnes in their careers way before Huet's NHL career started. There is no argument there, even from Neech I'd hope.

28-32 is an athlete's prime. You are comparing Huet's prime to kids who are adjusting to living on their own, growing into their bodies and adjusting to the spotlight.

For goalies though 28-32 is usually around when they start getting really good and moving up to the next level. Biron is 30, Rolo is 38 and didnt make that leap till he was 35-36. Danis is 26 and he isnt quite there yet and Garon is 30 and he is just starting to become a regular starter in Edm, same with Aubin 30, Labarbera . All 4 have had way more North American experience.

Comparing by age is silly though and here is why:

The majority of goalies we are discussing are from Hockey countries that have serious hockey programs. Huet was 22 when he started playing pro hockey and all the other goalies were playing pro in junior when they were 15-16. The best team in any of the 3 CHLs would most likely beat HC Lugano on any given night every year. Even any OHL team could probably beat the top Suis league team. Dont forget that lots of Can players who arent good enough to even get drafted play in Euro elite leagues. Huet has come along a lot faster with way less high level pro hockey competition than any of them.

My local high school hockey team could probably beat the France Junior team. Huet cant possibly have had as much high caliber hockey experience compared to the other goalies.

If Denis is going to walk Bob should trade him ASAP to LA for Yutaka Fukufuji. For the same reason Huet is good Fukufuji probably is too. He never would have been noticed in order be drafted if he's not any good being from an even more hockey obscure country.

This is a very one-sided argument; I keep making points, you keep on saying the same thing.

Brodeur - no comparison with Huet, obviously <-- Broduer is for sure better, but his 1st 4 years are indeed comparable to Huets

Luongo - not much playoff success (although more than Huet), but also clearly in another league <-- only has 4 60+ game seasons in 7 years, made playoffs once, 1st 4 yrs in NHL comparable to Huet

ONLY has four 60 game seasons? Can you guess how many more 60 game seasons that is more than Huet has?

Khabibulin - has started many seasons, has won a Cup

Dipietro - has started complete seasons and is currently better than Huet <-- 63 games max, not exactly a complete season, hasnt won a playoff series, 1st 3 years comparable to Huets

Vokoun - has started complete seasons, around Huet's level (I'd say V. is better) <--- has 3 60+ game seasons in 9 years, has never won playoff sreries, 1st 5 years comparable to Huets 4Kipprusof - has started complete seasons and has playoff success <--- 2 70+ seasons, drafted in 95 played in NHL in 01 (5 games), 1st 4 seasons didnt play over 50 games, just like Huet

Giguere - has started complete seasons and has won a Cup <-- 2 60+ game seasons, 1st 5 seasons played a lot less than Huet

Lundqvist - has started a complete season and more than Huet overall, has more playoff experience along with winning an Olympic Gold, is around Huet's level but I and most others would rate him better <-- drafted in 00, didnt play NHL until 06, Huet ascended to NHL faster

Alright, it's not worth pointing out all of them. Here is the point (and I hope you manage to respond to it directly): there is a difference between a 27-year-old rookie and a 19-year-old rookie. You can't compare their first four seasons. The 27-year-old is playing out those years IN HIS PRIME, while the rookie is still young and presumably learning. So that is why Huet's first four seasons are not at all comparable to Brodeur's, Roy's, Luongo's or even Price's. The young guy still has a ways to improve, but if Huet hasn't hit his ceiling at 32 then it's unlikely he'll get there. Kapiche?

See how ALL of them have more experience than Huet, most of them both in starting complete seasons and in playoff experience. <-- no really, the stats dont say that

Oh but they do, you just have to do away with your little four seasons idea.

Case and point that you clearly know what your talking aboot:

rotflmfao.

So you have a fat ass?

It must have been uber hard for him to get noticed by Pro scouts while playing Junior in North America. Olaf Kolzig played Junior with the Tri-City Americans in the Western Hockey League. :lol:

Kolzig is as much German as Alex Steen is Swedish. Kolzig was born in Johannesburg, South Africa. His parents are of German descent. Both Kolzig and Steen have lived basically their entire lives not residing in the countries they represent in World competitions. I'm sure both speak considerably better English than they do their own Euro language.

Alright then, my mistake, but you just managed to make it your soapbox and avoid the point. Let's take Uwe Krupp as our example then, he played his junior hockey in Germany and yet somehow was drafted at the age of 20. What snide retort do you have now, hhrrrmmmm?

Alright, I just scrolled down and saw that Wamsley made these points already and you have all but capitulated, so I'll leave it at that.

Price would have to play a lot better than he did in his last stint for there to be any real controversy.

You see I just don't buy that Price was any where near as shaky as some on here think he was. 19 games, 9 wins, 7 losses, 3 OTL is pretty damn good for a 20 year old rookie. In fact only a handful of NHL goalies can even claim a start that good at that young an age (he was eligible to play Midget 3 years ago after all) . Price beat the Leafs pretty much single handed 3 times (and you know he's in their heads) and beat Pittsburgh twice. A young goalie turns in 9 or 10 really good performances and 3 or 4 stinkers out of 19 and some people are all over him. I just don't get it. Personally I support ALL of our goalies and you know what, they seem to cheer on each other and support each other very nicely too.

You see I just don't buy that Price was any where near as shaky as some on here think he was. 19 games, 9 wins, 7 losses, 3 OTL is pretty damn good for a 20 year old rookie.

Pretty good for a 20 y.o. rooking just isn't good enough....he needs to be pretty good for a starting goaltender in his prime, which is what Huet has been during this stretch, to get any consideration for playing a significant number of games. This is about who gives us the best chance to win RIGHT NOW, period.

Pretty good for a 20 y.o. rooking just isn't good enough....he needs to be pretty good for a starting goaltender in his prime, which is what Huet has been during this stretch, to get any consideration for playing a significant number of games. This is about who gives us the best chance to win RIGHT NOW, period.

This is going to be a short discussion. Price is the BACKUP GOALIE. As such he has been a very good backup and is learning the starters job. Go ahead and search the stats for a BACKUP GOALIE with better numbers, there wont be many. Sheesh, some Habs fans baffle me with their blind loyalties. Why hate Price because you love Huet? Watch Huet & Price or Huet & Halak in the pre game warmup, they cheer each other on and actually like each other. Why would a fan feel a need to only have room for one of them on the team?!?! Oh and by the way...Price IS NOT, repeat IS NOT a starting goalie in his prime. He's a rookie who just finished high school and still has plenty of learning to do in the NHL. If all goes well, in a year or 2 you'll be praising him and keeping his backup down :eyes:

WE need to give Price some time. he had an amazing start to his career, but then he came back down to earth. Give him time(3-4 years) and he will be a top 10 starter in this league!

Edited by Habsfan

This is going to be a short discussion. Price is the BACKUP GOALIE. As such he has been a very good backup and is learning the starters job. Go ahead and search the stats for a BACKUP GOALIE with better numbers, there wont be many. Sheesh, some Habs fans baffle me with their blind loyalties. Why hate Price because you love Huet? Watch Huet & Price or Huet & Halak in the pre game warmup, they cheer each other on and actually like each other. Why would a fan feel a need to only have room for one of them on the team?!?! Oh and by the way...Price IS NOT, repeat IS NOT a starting goalie in his prime. He's a rookie who just finished high school and still has plenty of learning to do in the NHL. If all goes well, in a year or 2 you'll be praising him and keeping his backup down :eyes:

I have not seen anyone hate Price. The issue was clear... is Price ready to be the number one starter for the Habs, or do we hold onto Huet. Nobody expects Price to be less then the backup!!!!

Price has not yet shown that he can take the job, as much as many people wish he did. I find it irrational for any one to critize Huet for inconsistency and say that Price is the answer. Price was just as inconsistent if not more so then Huet. He had a great shot at the top spot and struggled when he got too many games.

In my view Price showed that he has a ton of talent and all signs point to him progressing to be a solid number one goalie in this league. The question is when. Some people are willing to risk it and just drop Huet now and go with Price. Others want to keep Huet around until Price takes the job, then either move Huet to backup or trade him away.

The only reason people bring up Price's stats is that some people seem to have this fantasy that he had better stats then Huet. He didn't.

This is a very one-sided argument; I keep making points, you keep on saying the same thing.

No kidding. Actually you keep saying the same thing and ignoring all the stats I've listed. You've drawn your own conclusion without taking into account any of the facts. I'm looking at all the stats combined, not just a select few.

Alright, it's not worth pointing out all of them.

No doubt, why bother to look up any stats to reply using correct info when you can just keep saying "your wrong" every reply.

Ya, sorry, your right. Vokoun totally has twice the playoff experience Huet has. Vokouns made it to the playoffs twice compared to Huets once.

Luogo definitely has double the playoff experience than Huet too because Luongo has made it to the 2nd round once compared to Huet who has never won a playoff series.

You say Huet isnt in the same class as Luongo and Vokouns yet he's accomplished 1/2 as much in 1/2 the time, but apparently that makes them leaps and bounds ahead of Huet based solely on Huets age alone. 1 more playoff birth in double the time doesnt make Voukon way better than Huet, nor does Luongos 1 playoff series win because it was Luongos only playoff series. Have you counted your fingers lately? 1 is close to 2 Eh, not way off and not comparable. They might have "double" the playoff experience but its only a difference of 1. 1 year and 1 round between them isnt much on Huet when you think they have been in the NHL twice as long. They arent so far ahead its not comparable. In fact they could actually easily be tied had the Cannes not grossly accosted Huet on the 2 GWG in the only series he was in the Habs would have been in the 2nd round and had the Habs not lost to the Laffs last year in the last game Huet would be tied with Vokoun. :lol:

you just managed to make it your soapbox and avoid the point. Let's take Uwe Krupp as our example then, he played his junior hockey in Germany and yet somehow was drafted at the age of 20.

umm, ya. You say its solely incredible skill that Krupp got noticed but thats not entirely true. It was more like amazing luck. If arguably the best judge of hockey talent in the last 30 years had never seen him play 1 game for Germany he would never have been drafted. If he was as uber pro core as you claim then why was he drafted 223rd overall in the 11th round with Buffalos 2nd last pick? Krupp was drafted because Scotty Bowman himself saw him play in 1 game and then took a long shot chance on him that paid off, nothing more. It was all Bowmans brilliance of taking in World Junior B pool games and then selecting the largest Dman from it in that years draft.

If a player is as awesome as you say to be drafted from non traditional hockey countries than why wasnt A) he drafted higher? or B) drafted at 18 when he became eligible?

What snide retort do you have now, hhrrrmmmm?

That I'm not going to keep arguing with your non factual bunk replies on this subject because soon you will drag me down to your level and beat me with experience.

If Huet was 6 years younger he would be at par with several of the goalies most seem to think are way better. The fact Huet didnt play at the same high level hockey as all the other golaies for 6 more years explains this. Huet started to play at almost an OHL level when he was 22!! How is that irrelevant?

You say Huet isnt in the same class as Luongo and Vokouns yet he's accomplished 1/2 as much in 1/2 the time, but apparently that makes them leaps and bounds ahead of Huet based solely on Huets age alone. 1 more playoff birth in double the time doesnt make Voukon way better than Huet, nor does Luongos 1 playoff series win because it was Luongos only playoff series. Have you counted your fingers lately? 1 is close to 2 Eh, not way off and not comparable. They might have "double" the playoff experience but its only a difference of 1. 1 year and 1 round between them isnt much on Huet when you think they have been in the NHL twice as long. They arent so far ahead its not comparable. In fact they could actually easily be tied had the Cannes not grossly accosted Huet on the 2 GWG in the only series he was in the Habs would have been in the 2nd round and had the Habs not lost to the Laffs last year in the last game Huet would be tied with Vokoun. :lol:

umm, ya. You say its solely incredible skill that Krupp got noticed but thats not entirely true. It was more like amazing luck. If arguably the best judge of hockey talent in the last 30 years had never seen him play 1 game for Germany he would never have been drafted. If he was as uber pro core as you claim then why was he drafted 223rd overall in the 11th round with Buffalos 2nd last pick? Krupp was drafted because Scotty Bowman himself saw him play in 1 game and then took a long shot chance on him that paid off, nothing more. It was all Bowmans brilliance of taking in World Junior B pool games and then selecting the largest Dman from it in that years draft.

Do you really believe that Huet is anywhere near Luongo's level? or are you just arguing for the sake of arguing?

I can create a scenario that paints Roman Cechmanek as one of the greatest goalies of the last 10 years. Using statistics, playoff wins, Awards etc.

Tim Thomas, Pascal Leclaire, Chris Osgood are all having fantastic seasons. I can paint a bunch of bullshit around that as well.

Ask Bo Gainey how long the discussion would last if Nonis offered Luongo straight up for Huet.

Huet DID NOT PLAY in the NHL at the age of 22. Huet's numbers in his prime are not better than the elite goalies of this generation.

Why aren't Huet's numbers getting better every year? He should have a higher learning curve than other 28 - 32 year olds.

Yet his numbers have declined from his first season with the Habs even though the Habs have a better team now.

:blink:

Edited by Wamsley01

I truly believe the most telling stat is results in 1 goal games.

Huet is 4-6 that stat scares me.

We all know that playoff games are usually tight and many of them decided by one goal.

Huet was 1-4 in 1 goal games against Carolina and that is why the Canes won becuase Ward was better then Huet.

I do believe Luongo is better than Huet. However I dont believe the difference between Luongo and Huet is the same as the difference between Roy and Red Light Racicot. :P

The majority seem to be over rating Luongo and under rating Huet. ;)

I dont consider Luongo to be on par with Broduer, Hasek or Roy. They are all A+ and have won multiple Cups and made non playoff teams playoff teams which is something Luongo couldnt do. Broduer, Hasek & Roy make any team they are on by at least 4 positions higher in the standings and Luongo probably only increase his teams standing by 2. Broduer, Hasek & Roy also typically get their teams 1 round father than they would go with any other goalie. In just 5 years Broduer won the Cup twice and Roy made it to the Cup twice in the time it took Luongo just to get in the playoffs.

Luongo is more like a A- goalie and Huet a B+ goalie so again they arent really that far off.

Luongo is a really good goalie but when you look right into it even he isnt exactly "proven". Personally I dont think Bob would do an even Steven trade for Luongo. I dont think I would.

If Luongo was a goalie God he would have made the playoffs more than once in 7 years. Also, like I previously said the goal that knocked Luongos Canucks out of the playoffs was almost identical to Stillmans goal on Huet that knocked out the Habs. Yet Luongo is completely solid and reliable and Huet isnt at all.

Do some of you think Florida traded Luongo for fun? Or was it that they knew for the price he wanted that he wasnt worth it or they would have made the playoffs in the 6 years he was there? In those 6 years whats the highest the Panthers ever placed? better than 10th?

Guess what? The amazing Vokoun is now in Florida and what position are they in? 13th. Florida has had enough high picks from sucking the last 6 years that with a 2 different "elite" goalies they should have no problem doing better than 10th yet they dont. Maybe their goalies arent quite as elite as most believe?

If the Habs didnt have Huet and had a different B pool goalie what position do you think the Habs would be in? still 4th? (2nd overall contending for 1st)

his numbers have declined from his first season with the Habs even though the Habs have a better team now.

Well the Habs havent made the playoffs yet. The Habs were in a similar spot at one point last year too but then failed to make the playoffs so theres no guarantee Habs will still be 4th or better than 9th for that matter when playoffs start. Last years team was way better at certain things just like this years team is way better than last years with different things. Its not like all across the board in every stat is this years team better, just like not all the other goalies stats are all better than Huets. Huet is just starting to reach his prime. Goalies peak way later than any other position.

Huet DID NOT PLAY in the NHL at the age of 22.

I know, I didnt say or mean NHL. Its not a typo, I bolded it on purpose. I said OHL = Ontario Hockey League caliber when he was 22!! Thats why he is 6 years behind all the other goalies of similar age and why he hasnt played the same amount of years in the NHL in comparison.

Edited by Sir_Boagalott

I do believe Luongo is better than Huet. However I dont believe the difference between Luongo and Huet is the same as the difference between Roy and Red Light Racicot. :P

The majority seem to be over rating Luongo and under rating Huet. ;)

I dont consider Luongo to be on par with Broduer, Hasek or Roy. They are all A+ and have won multiple Cups and made non playoff teams playoff teams which is something Luongo couldnt do. Broduer, Hasek & Roy make any team they are on by at least 4 positions higher in the standings and Luongo probably only increase his teams standing by 2. Broduer, Hasek & Roy also typically get their teams 1 round father than they would go with any other goalie. In just 5 years Broduer won the Cup twice and Roy made it to the Cup twice in the time it took Luongo just to get in the playoffs.

Personally I dont think Bob would do an even Steven trade for Luongo. I dont think I would.

If Luongo was a goalie God he would have made the playoffs more than once in 7 years. Also, like I previously said the goal that knocked Luongos Canucks out of the playoffs was almost identical to Stillmans goal on Huet that knocked out the Habs. Yet Luongo is completely solid and reliable and Huet isnt at all.

Do some of you think Florida traded Luongo for fun? Or was it that they knew for the price he wanted that he wasnt worth it or they would have made the playoffs in the 6 years he was there? In those 6 years whats the highest the Panthers ever placed? better than 10th?

If the Habs didnt have Huet and had a different B pool goalie what position do you think the Habs would be in? still 4th? (2nd overall contending for 1st)

Well the Habs havent made the playoffs yet. The Habs were in a similar spot at one point last year too but then failed to make the playoffs so theres no guarantee Habs will still be 4th or better than 9th for that matter when playoffs start. Last years team was way better at certain things just like this years team is way better than last years with different things. Its not like all across the board in every stat is this years team better, just like not all the other goalies stats are all better than Huets. Huet is just starting to reach his prime. Goalies peak way later than any other position.

I know, I didnt say or mean NHL. Its not a typo, I bolded it on purpose. I said OHL = Ontario Hockey League caliber when he was 22!! Thats why he is 6 years behind all the other goalies of similar age and why he hasnt played the same amount of years in the NHL in comparison.

What non playoff team did Roy take to the playoffs? The 86 Canadiens made the playoffs by 7 points but Soetart had a better winning percentage than Roy that season.

Plus that team was stacked with rookies and Stanley Cup veterans. Not exactly the Florida Panthers. Plus they won the Cup that year. After that his teams made the playoffs by 28, 34, 54, 62, 43, 41, 44, 20, 26, 30, 17, 26, 13, 30, 14, 27. So I fail to see the year that Roy took his non playoff team and made the playoffs. Roy is arguably the greatest goalie of all-time and Huet should not even be mentioned in the same breath as him.

What non playoff team did Brodeur take to the playoffs? The Devils only made the playoffs by 6 points in 1995, but it was a strike season and they won the Cup, so I don't think I would consider that a non playoff team. After that his teams made the playoffs by 23, 29, 33, 30, 20, 23, 10, 25, 15, 11, 16.

That statement is nothing but conjecture on your part. You are painting a picture to make Luongo look inferior without using facts. Luongo has not won a Cup, and will not ascend to that level until he has.

But Luongo has been an All-Star in the World Junior Championships, he has made Team Canada twice and would have been the starter if not for somebody named Brodeur. He put up a .931 Save percentage while facing 2300+ shots on a team that had 78 points (24th in the NHL). Huet has never faced more than 1200 shots. Luongo was a first team All-Star last season, a finalist for the Vezina and the MVP. Luongo won 47 games last season more than Huet has ever played in a season.

So you say Broduer, Hasek & Roy make any team they are on by at least 4 positions higher, Luongo 2 positions.

I would love to see the formula you used for this calculation by the way. But let's humour you and your theory.

2001 Florida Panthers - 66 points (22 points short of the playoffs)

Using your theory the Panthers would have finished 2 positions worse without Luongo. So they would have been 2nd last in the East with 59 points.

Now with Hasek, Roy etc the Panthers would have finished with 72 points 10th overall in the East. No playoffs

2002 Florida Panthers - 60 points (27 points short of the playoffs)

So the Panthers without Luongo would have finished 15th in the East with 54 points.

Now with Hasek, Roy etc the Panthers would have finished with 69 points 12th in the East. No playoffs

2003 Florida Panthers - 70 points (13 points short of the playoffs)

So the Panthers without Luongo would have finished 15th in the East with 61 points.

Now with Hasek, Roy etc the Panthers would have finished with 72 points 11th in the East. No playoffs

2004 Florida Panthers - 75 points (16 points short of the playoffs)

So the Panthers without Luongo would have finished 14th in the East with 59 points.

Now with Hasek, Roy etc the Panthers would have finished with 78 points 10th in the East. No playoffs

2006 Florida Panthers - 85 points (7 points short of the playoffs)

So the Panthers without Luongo would have finished 13th in the East with 74 points.

Now with Hasek, Roy etc the Panthers would have finished with 90 points 9th in the East. No playoffs

I don't see any playoff appearances for Roy, Belfour, Hasek etc using your theory.

You cannot compare Luongo's first 5 years to Patrick Roy's. Roy came up on a team would go on to register 90+ points in 4 of his first 5 years.

It is also an era where 90 points meant something because there were no extra points. The Devils also were ascending to a powerhouse in Brodeur's rookie

year, perfecting the trap. They were not languising on the Florida Panthers like Luongo.

Florida traded Luongo because he was not going to stay. The offered him 6+ Million and he said he wanted to assess where they were going and keep

his Free Agency options open. So they traded him to avoid losing him for nothing. It has nothing to do with what you are insinuating.

I hate to break it to you but Huet is in his prime. Just because he did not play in the NHL til he was 28 does not mean his prime is pushed back 10 years.

If I made the NHL at 38 years old does it mean I still have my prime ahead of me? Uh, no. Huet may posses a larger learning curve because he is new to the league,

but your prime does not change.

If you would not trade Huet straight up for Luongo, I think it says more about this argument than I could possibly prove otherwise.

I truly believe the most telling stat is results in 1 goal games.

Huet is 4-6 that stat scares me.

We all know that playoff games are usually tight and many of them decided by one goal.

Huet was 1-4 in 1 goal games against Carolina and that is why the Canes won becuase Ward was better then Huet.

Come on, you watch the games. You really think that stat is about Huet, or is it about the team approach?

This team has / had a bad habit of sitting on leads. They don't play like NJ with a nice trap, they play like it is a penalty kill.

The bad stat is that when this team has a one goal lead or is tied, they are always massively outshot. When NJ has a lead, you can never get a good scoring chance.

The Carolina series was about our inability to score. Huet's stats from that series are great, but once Koivu went down and they keyed in on Kovalev, our scoring dried up (plus Ward was awesome).

Putting too much weight on one playoff series, imo.

Did you know that Huet has better career stats then Brodeur for Save Percentage? Yup. if you look at the stats, Brodeur didn't often have great save percentages, he just didn't get many shots. He had an awesome team in front of him defensively. Who knows if Brodeur would be the legend he is if he played for Florida. The other thing is he always plays so well in Montreal, but I have seen many of his games and he is not always so sharp. Still, he can win a playoff series, so he is a good money goalie. Out of 12 years, NJ with Brodeur went out in the first round 4 times. He won the cup twice. He didn't win his cup the first year in the playoffs either. I would argue that the Habs are not even close to some of those NJ teams in terms of both talent and maturity. We have a very inexperienced team, so I view this year's playoffs as a learning experience. I don't think we are cup bound, yet. :)

I would like to see Huet play another playoffs for us before I decide on whether or not he is a playoff goalie or not. Unfortunately, if he is and we don't sign him until he proves it, then he will be really friggin expensive. :(

Out of 12 years, NJ with Brodeur went out in the first round 4 times. He won the cup twice.

I was under the impression that he won the cup 3 times.(95', 00', 03')

If you would not trade Huet straight up for Luongo, I think it says more about this argument than I could possibly prove otherwise.

Agreed, you'd have to be nuts not to trade huet for Luongo straight up(from a Habs perspective).

If I were a canuycks fan, there's no way i'd want my team to make this trade happen!

Edited by Habsfan

Come on, you watch the games. You really think that stat is about Huet, or is it about the team approach?

This team has / had a bad habit of sitting on leads. They don't play like NJ with a nice trap, they play like it is a penalty kill.

The bad stat is that when this team has a one goal lead or is tied, they are always massively outshot. When NJ has a lead, you can never get a good scoring chance.

The Carolina series was about our inability to score. Huet's stats from that series are great, but once Koivu went down and they keyed in on Kovalev, our scoring dried up (plus Ward was awesome).

Putting too much weight on one playoff series, imo.

Did you know that Huet has better career stats then Brodeur for Save Percentage? Yup. if you look at the stats, Brodeur didn't often have great save percentages, he just didn't get many shots. He had an awesome team in front of him defensively. Who knows if Brodeur would be the legend he is if he played for Florida. The other thing is he always plays so well in Montreal, but I have seen many of his games and he is not always so sharp. Still, he can win a playoff series, so he is a good money goalie. Out of 12 years, NJ with Brodeur went out in the first round 4 times. He won the cup twice. He didn't win his cup the first year in the playoffs either. I would argue that the Habs are not even close to some of those NJ teams in terms of both talent and maturity. We have a very inexperienced team, so I view this year's playoffs as a learning experience. I don't think we are cup bound, yet. :)

I would like to see Huet play another playoffs for us before I decide on whether or not he is a playoff goalie or not. Unfortunately, if he is and we don't sign him until he proves it, then he will be really friggin expensive. :(

I would not blame Huet for losing close games. The Habs did the same thing even when Theo was playing like a Hall of Famer.

But I do watch all the game and I don't remember Huet making the game saving save, either to keep the lead or in a tie game.

I am sure it has happened, but it is perception. You cannot change people's perception with your opinion. Huet has to do that.

Ward was spectacular in that Carolina series. He made 2-3 miraculouos saves in the 1-0 game that would have made it 3-0 in the series.

Goals that if they had been in, nobody would have blamed Ward because it would have been dismissed as him having no chance.

The glove save on Ribs on a cross ice feed stands out in my head. If the Habs win that series than Huet maybe has a different rep.

But Huet has been brutal in the shootout. That adds to the perception that he is not clutch. You cannot fight people's perceptions.

Huet has been the starter for 2 years. In 2006 he gave up a terrible back breaking goal in game 3 to Brind'amour and the series

winner was from the blueline (which I still think was tipped). It does not matter what his Save % was in the series or his GAA.

In prime time most fans feel he let them down.

In 2007 he was very average vs the Leafs as the Habs playoff hopes crashed and burned. It was not his fault, he had not played in 6 weeks.

But once again, the perception that he choked in the biggest game of the year against our biggest rival is what remains.

You can continue to fight it all you want, it will not change JMMR's opinion. Huet has to prove you right, not the other way around.

Look at Wade Dubielewicz. That guy will be viewed as clutch for what he did down the stretch last year. But the guys is a career

minor leaguer that can barely crack the NHL.

I was under the impression that he won the cup 3 times.(95', 00', 03')

Opps, you are correct. Still, my point is that he went out in the first round 3 times. If you looked at that season only, you would conclude he was not a playoff goalie (based on the logic some people are using).

Statistically, you need more then one sample before you can make a call. :)

You can continue to fight it all you want, it will not change JMMR's opinion. Huet has to prove you right, not the other way around.

Look at Wade Dubielewicz. That guy will be viewed as clutch for what he did down the stretch last year. But the guys is a career

You are once again correct.

I hope that Huet makes me eat Crow and takes this team to at least the East Finals.

I would not blame Huet for losing close games. The Habs did the same thing even when Theo was playing like a Hall of Famer.

But I do watch all the game and I don't remember Huet making the game saving save, either to keep the lead or in a tie game.

I am sure it has happened, but it is perception. You cannot change people's perception with your opinion. Huet has to do that.

Ward was spectacular in that Carolina series. He made 2-3 miraculouos saves in the 1-0 game that would have made it 3-0 in the series.

Goals that if they had been in, nobody would have blamed Ward because it would have been dismissed as him having no chance.

The glove save on Ribs on a cross ice feed stands out in my head. If the Habs win that series than Huet maybe has a different rep.

But Huet has been brutal in the shootout. That adds to the perception that he is not clutch. You cannot fight people's perceptions.

Huet has been the starter for 2 years. In 2006 he gave up a terrible back breaking goal in game 3 to Brind'amour and the series

winner was from the blueline (which I still think was tipped). It does not matter what his Save % was in the series or his GAA.

In prime time most fans feel he let them down.

In 2007 he was very average vs the Leafs as the Habs playoff hopes crashed and burned. It was not his fault, he had not played in 6 weeks.

But once again, the perception that he choked in the biggest game of the year against our biggest rival is what remains.

I find it amazing that people don't remember Huet making the big saves in games. But often what you see is based on what you are looking for. :)

Luongo totally blew the last shot of the series last year for Vancouver. He was busy being a linesman while he let in a wrist shot from the point. Yet he is considered a clutch goalie, while Huet is considered a loser because he let in a softy in a final game against Carolina. Again, I view that as people showing their bias. :)

I don't expect anyone to change their minds based on what I say. There are people here that are convinced we have all the depth down the middle we need since Koivu is the best centre in the league. :) Fortunately, Gainey knows better and has been after a top centre two years running.

I don't think Huet is the best goalie in the league, but I have yet to see any reason to dump him, nor have I seen a single proposal that results in us getting better in goal. Most people here simply want to believe that Price will be the next Brodeur based on 20 games played. I think that is nuts. :)

I find it amazing that people don't remember Huet making the big saves in games. But often what you see is based on what you are looking for. :)

Luongo totally blew the last shot of the series last year for Vancouver. He was busy being a linesman while he let in a wrist shot from the point. Yet he is considered a clutch goalie, while Huet is considered a loser because he let in a softy in a final game against Carolina. Again, I view that as people showing their bias. :)

I don't expect anyone to change their minds based on what I say. There are people here that are convinced we have all the depth down the middle we need since Koivu is the best centre in the league. :) Fortunately, Gainey knows better and has been after a top centre two years running.

I don't think Huet is the best goalie in the league, but I have yet to see any reason to dump him, nor have I seen a single proposal that results in us getting better in goal. Most people here simply want to believe that Price will be the next Brodeur based on 20 games played. I think that is nuts. :)

The reason Luongo is viewed as the best goalie in the league is based on more than 1 factor.

He was unbelievable in the Juniors and was the only reason the Canadians had a chance in the gold medal game.

He was the only reason the Panthers had a shot in every game. (I was at the Bell centre when he stopped 50+ and lost 1-0 in OT, he was unbelievable in that game)

He took a Vancouver team that had fallen apart after the Bertuzzi debacle and brought them back to the playoffs. Now wether or not he really did is one thing,

but that is what everybody in Vancouver and the NHL thinks.

He won a round with a team that could not score by outdueling another goalie with a a bad rep.

THe last goal is not counted against him because the whole fan base feels if it was not for him they would not have been there. It also goes down as a mental lapse

(like Roy against Detroit in 2002) not a technical flaw. He blew the shot because he assumed a penalty would be called. I am sure he was let off the hook because

alot of Canucks fans probably blamed the ref and not him as well.

Plus, I don't really know if he is viewed as clutch. Just the best.

I don't view Price as the next Brodeur. I hope he is, but I just feel that he does not need to be. He just has to be the next Huet. I don't gather that from 20 NHL games,

I gather it from his Junior performance, his Calder Cup run and some of the games he played early in the season. Price stepped up 3 times and beat the Leafs

which might not seem like much, but is something Huet has failed to do with any regularity. The fact that he faced 40+ in those games helps his reputation.

I do remember Huet making huge saves, but not with 3-4 minutes to go, not in OT (although that little heel save off Hossa in OT last year was unbelievable).

I like Huet, but not for another 4 years.

I don't consider Luongo clutch he has 1 playoff series win in his entire career.

Brodeur is clutch

Hasek is clutch

Ward is clutch

Giguere is clutch.

There are very few clutch goalies in the league, Huet is a good starter but I don't know if he can win more than a couple playoff games.

Wamsley has officially wiped the floor with your ridiculous arguments. I admire his tenacity, you can tell he is parent because he is so adept at laying things out in a clear and irrefutable way to someone of a smaller intellect.

:clap: