I hope Bob Gainey is working to sign Huet

REV-G

I just want to say that I can't believe people are putting Ward in the same class as Luongo. Come on, I live in Vancouver and there is one and only one reason the Canucks, when healthy, are something like contenders: and he's not named Trevor Linden, put it that way. It's impossible to prove, but I suspect that Huet could have won the Cup playing behind what was a pretty solid Carolina team. Luongo has struggled of late but the bottom line is that he's in the top 3.

You're so right. Luongo is the Heir Apparent to Brodeur and while Ward is a very good young goalie, in my eyes he does not warrant mention in the same breath as Luongo.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read the title of the thread again: "I hope Bob Gainey is working to sign Huet"

I hope Gainey isn't.

Because I hope Gainey is working on more urgent stuff. Like adding scoring, depth D and/or a big checking C.

Huet comes very far on the to-do list right now...

I am mixed on what BG should do with Huet.

There is part of me that would like him resigned, maybe for like 2-3 years at 4 million per. Not much more.

Another part of me wants Price to be the guy to lead this young and upcoming team, but not sure if he is ready yet. Maybe ride Price with Halak.

Hate to lose Huet for nothing in the offseason, but don't think there is a huge market for him. Huet shows some signs of great play, then to see moments of shakiness. Just doesn't make for feel comfy like a Luongo or Brodeur would.

If Huet could be resigned for a reasonable amount then i'm ok with it to help bring Price along with less pressure to be NO. 1 right away. He could do it on his terms.

The Rangers just signed Lundqvist for 6 years at 6.5 per.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=229527&hubname=

If this is the asking price for starting goaltenders without a deep playoff run on their resume.....OUCH!

It is the price for a starting goaltender who is 26 and has been a finalist for the Vezina in his only 2 years. And a goalie who has never missed the playoffs and won a playoff series.

Not a soon to be 33 year old who has a Roger Crozier award on his resume and 1 playoff appearance in 5 years.

Edited by Wamsley01

Not to mention Huet is very streaky and never has proven he can carry the load for 50+ games.

Huet will want around 4 i am guessing. I would spend 4 mill else where.

Yep, Huet has had two years to build off his performance in 2006. He took a 2 year deal from the Habs and really what has he proved?

Yep, Huet has had two years to build off his performance in 2006. He took a 2 year deal from the Habs and really what has he proved?

That he is an average starter who cant play long stretches>

That he is an average starter who cant play long stretches>

That seems to be the general opinion. A couple of people seem to think his 05-06 play has lasted until this season. He had an awesome half-season, Gainey was cautious - it paid off. Huet followed it off with a good half-season which he is now following up with an average half-season. If he wants 4M x 3, I would pay him that and expect/hope Price to steal the job sometime in the first or second year of that contract - that would give us the chance to trade him and get good value for him. If he wants 5 million or more then I would say let him walk - after all, we let Souray go for that money and I would rather have Souray than Huet.

I would rather have Souray than Huet.

Are you serious? AS much as Huet may have his faults you can't seriously say that the Habs would be better off with Souray instead of Huet??? Souray is gone for the year. He will have played a grand total of 26 games for the oilers. WOW, that's worth 5.75 million $ :rolleyes::rolleyes:

At least Huet does have 20 wins, a better than average save% and a better than average G.A.A.

Like I've said before, offer Huet 8 million$ over 2 years. If he wants more, make it 9 million over 2 years. If he want 5 million$ per year, say good bye. If he wants a 4 year deal, say good bye.

Are you serious? AS much as Huet may have his faults you can't seriously say that the Habs would be better off with Souray instead of Huet??? Souray is gone for the year. He will have played a grand total of 26 games for the oilers. WOW, that's worth 5.75 million $ :rolleyes::rolleyes:

At least Huet does have 20 wins, a better than average save% and a better than average G.A.A.

Like I've said before, offer Huet 8 million$ over 2 years. If he wants more, make it 9 million over 2 years. If he want 5 million$ per year, say good bye. If he wants a 4 year deal, say good bye.

Obviously, I'd rather have Huet once Souray's out for the season. But if both of them are making 5M, I'd rather we were paying it to Souray - our D would be outstanding and we'd be atleast decent in goal until Price and Halak start improving. With Huet, our goaltending is a bit above average, while our D is a bit above average.

Souray is just the type of player we are lacking (tough, stands up for his teammates, has leadership, is an intimidating presence, has a star's aura) while Huet is a pretty good goalie - almost every team in the league is happy with their goaltending so goalies have little value right now, especially unproven ones with average stats (he's 9th in save % which is pretty good, and then he's 20th in goals-against average which is pretty bad).

UMM, didn't the habs have him last year and he was the WORST defensemen in the league. Minus 30 or something.

There is a reason Rivet and Souray were moved.

I also think Souray sticking up for his team mate thing is a little overblown, he didn't even that many fights.

UMM, didn't the habs have him last year and he was the WORST defensemen in the league. Minus 30 or something.

There is a reason Rivet and Souray were moved.

I also think Souray sticking up for his team mate thing is a little overblown, he didn't even that many fights.

Didn't we have him last year when he was the most feared offensive defenceman in the league? If he played on a pairing with Hamrlik, his +/- would be about even.

Just got the new Hockey News and they have a section in the back in the Inside the Numbers section.

I thought it was relevant in that alot of posters feel that Huet is not clutch.

It is called Save Percentage in Key Minutes

Last 2 minutes of the game

1. J. LaBarbera - 0.959

1. H. Lundqvist - 0.959

1. MA Fleury - 0.959

2. D. Sabourin - 0.956

3. R. Dipietro - 0.954

4. M. Brodeur - 0.944

5. E. Nabakov - 0.938

6. M. Garon - 0.934

7. D. Ellis - 0.932

8. A. Auld - 0.931

9. P. Leclaire - 0.931

10. T. Thomas - 0.930

11. I. Bryzgalov - 0.924

12. K. Lehtonen - 0.923

13. R. Luongo - 0.921

14. T. Vokoun - 0.920

15. R. Emery - 0.918

16. P. Budaj - 0.917

17. N. Backstrom - 0.914

18. C. Ward - 0.913

19. M. Biron - 0.911

20. J. Harding - 0.909

21. C. Mason - 0.908

22. C. Osgood - 0.905

23. C. Huet - 0.904

23. N. Khabibulin - 0.904

I am not using this as proof either way. I just thought it was interesting considering what people

list as his largest fault.

Edited by Wamsley01

Just got the new Hockey News and they have a section in the back in the Inside the Numbers section.

I thought it was relevant in that alot of posters feel that Huet is not clutch.

It is called Save Percentage in Key Minutes

Last 2 minutes of the game

1. J. LaBarbera - 0.959

1. H. Lundqvist - 0.959

1. MA Fleury - 0.959

2. D. Sabourin - 0.956

3. R. Dipietro - 0.954

4. M. Brodeur - 0.944

5. E. Nabakov - 0.938

6. M. Garon - 0.934

7. D. Ellis - 0.932

8. A. Auld - 0.931

9. P. Leclaire - 0.931

10. T. Thomas - 0.930

11. I. Bryzgalov - 0.924

12. K. Lehtonen - 0.923

13. R. Luongo - 0.921

14. T. Vokoun - 0.920

15. R. Emery - 0.918

16. P. Budaj - 0.917

17. N. Backstrom - 0.914

18. C. Ward - 0.913

19. M. Biron - 0.911

20. J. Harding - 0.909

21. C. Mason - 0.908

22. C. Osgood - 0.905

23. C. Huet - 0.904

23. N. Khabibulin - 0.904

I am not using this as proof either way. I just thought it was interesting considering what people

list as his largest fault.

Interesting. I am curious to know what they defined as "key minutes". Are they just late in the game of a one goal game? Did they define their criteria?

Interesting read, but I bet on the whole, the stats are not very "statistically significant". (Any other science majors out there?)

Interesting. I am curious to know what they defined as "key minutes". Are they just late in the game of a one goal game? Did they define their criteria?

Interesting read, but I bet on the whole, the stats are not very "statistically significant". (Any other science majors out there?)

They classified it as the first 2 minutes of each period and the last 2 minutes.

I posted the last 2 minutes because alot of posters lack faith in Huet because he does not make the big saves late in games.

Seeing as the distractors claim that and the defenders use his save percentage to claim his greatness, I thought it was an

interesting stat for this topic.

I don't put much stock in Save Percentage so this is really irrelevant as far as I am concerned.

They classified it as the first 2 minutes of each period and the last 2 minutes.

I posted the last 2 minutes because alot of posters lack faith in Huet because he does not make the big saves late in games.

Seeing as the distractors claim that and the defenders use his save percentage to claim his greatness, I thought it was an

interesting stat for this topic.

I don't put much stock in Save Percentage so this is really irrelevant as far as I am concerned.

Yeh, especially since they include the first and last 2 minutes of the period in any game... close or not. I would be interested to see Huet or Price's SV% when defending a 1-goal lead in the 3rd.

Interesting stat though.

Didn't we have him last year when he was the most feared offensive defenceman in the league? If he played on a pairing with Hamrlik, his +/- would be about even.

1st of all hamrlick has done an excellent job this year. He is head and shoulders above Souray (and I like shelly) 2ndly we cannot afford 10 million dollars on 2 defence men. Did you forget about the cap?

I too liked Souray and hoped that the Habs would resign him, but there is no doubt that Hamrlik is much better all-around d-man and at this point BG made a better choice by inking Hammy. Souray had the cannon and was tough, but the Habs PP is just as good as last year, and Souray is not even in the same class as Hammy when it comes to defensive play.

Can Price really show that he is truly ready? He's been fantastice the last two games, so hopefully he can keep it up.

The good thing if Price shows he can be No. 1 is the caproom saved by not having to pay Huet as a No. 1 tender. Opening up room to spend on a star player.

Read my previous post. Instead of your conjecture I would appreciate you making a solid argument

as to why those goalies are good please. Otherwise, you are just a loudmouth who likes to hear and

read his own posts.

I have never stated Price is better, I said he will be better. I said he is the future, I said I think he is not

far from Huet's level. I also have stated a million times that if the Habs can sign Huet for 2 years or less

that I would be happy with that. Unlike you I am able to seperate all of the things that go into the situation.

This is a SALARY CAP issue for me, I have stated this a million times. But that is not what you do, you like

to pick apart the smallest thing and make fun instead of breaking down an argument in a thought provoking manner.

My best guess is instead of taking 15 minutes to form a solid rebuttal you will spend an hour going through the archives

to find the 1 occurence where I may have stated that Price was better and quote it to try to embarass me.

That is your style.

Wamsley, I could not make an argument that any of those B-list goalies are any better than Brodeur, Roy, etc. ..as you have asked OSM. Obviously that is not even a contest.

But to be the devil's advocate, who is to say that those B-list goalies are less talented goaltenders than the elite, just because they havent won what the others have? As others have stated, it is a team game. I am sure there are PLENTY of goalies out there whose potential was never realized because they played behind a bad team.

Edited by CBHabs_fan