Game Thread | Habs vs. Senators | 09/02/08

Cataclaw

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, a good time to get blown out by a top team - if there is ever such a 'good time'.

No excuses here like Rags, we just got hammered by a much better team. Perhaps Carbo can start off the next practice by blasting Public Enemy's 'Don't Believe The Hype' over the P.A. At 6-1, it's nuts to pick on individual players. It's good to show the team as well, after two sh*te losses: no looking ahead; no shifts off; no more b.s. - after all, a slump and the playoffs are less than assured.

Wonder if the Fla. trip will see new faces.

Sacrament d'esti d'tabarnaque.

Cat, may I use this as my sig? Though I think it's "d's'tie"...

We might have been better off keeping Bonk instead of smo... Bonk was at least able to shut guys down.. i am not sure what Smo brings to the team....

I'd much rather have Chipchura developing on the 4th line than Smokes, but unfortunately Smokes is going nowhere at least until after the season. Smokes has definitely lost it.

I'd much rather have Chipchura developing on the 4th line than Smokes, but unfortunately Smokes is going nowhere at least until after the season. Smokes has definitely lost it.

Yeah, Gainey won't do that to a vet with an NTC - certainly not for a rookie. Laying the foundations for the future. I think surely one of Bob's goals is to set the conditions so that a prime UFA won't say like Briere did, feel like I'm going to a team with a better chance of winning.

Smoked, Breezer, Dandy, Ryder all 100% gone. Who knows who else?

Ah well, this sucked. It'll bring us back down to Earth and help some fans realize that teams like the Sens are still in another league from us. This is really one of those games where you wish that we had some goon to send out to bash some faces and release frustration, but I get pissed when other teams do that to us in these situations. It looked like lil Teeties was really hurt from that Redden punch, but he looked like he was alright afterwards, so I hope he's ok. He probably should have had some ice on his face in the penalty box. Look at me, I feel all protective of our lil Teets :lol:

Every shot that they took seemed to find its way in. Yeah, they outplayed us, but they got ALL the bounces, and then some extra bounces too. I think we actually had more scoring chances than them but couldn't beat Emery or the posts. The Koivu line was creating some positives out there. And on the powerplay, Streit needs to realize that he's our FIFTH most dangerous threat on the ice, so stop taking hasty 45-foot slapshots and pass it to Kovy.

Like others have said, our defense is really exposed without Hamrlik. Komi looked foolish on that Heatley goal, and while I'm not trying to scapegoat Breezer, he shouldn't be on the ice.

All in all this loss is tough, but it isn't so bad for us in the long run. It'll show our young team that we still have a ways to go if we want to become an elite team. And we did come back with a flurry of scoring chances after Huet was pulled, which is a good sign. I hope we regroup and get another 4 points this week in Flow-da.

We might have been better off keeping Bonk instead of smo... Bonk was at least able to shut guys down.. i am not sure what Smo brings to the team....

Yeah, last season I was sad to lose Bonk but I thought he would command too much money so I was OK with it. But now he's making half of what he was, and we're stuck with Smolinski who is mediocre at best. Last season Bonk was one of the biggest reasons we got off to that good start.

Yeah Redden beats up the bruiser S.Kostitsyn, what a big man I bet he feels proud.

I've grown to really hate Redden, he seems like worthless heap of shit.

Their team was really targeting Lapierre, and then they go after lil Teets. :angry:

Wonder if the Fla. trip will see new faces.

Cat, may I use this as my sig? Though I think it's "d's'tie"...

Sure

(I know it's ostie but i write esti because that's how it pronounce it most of the time, although i could also write it 'sti to the same effect)

Well i'm off for the evening, gonna drink and dance my habs-loss-sorrows away ^_^

See you gentlemen tomorrow, next game thread will be up then.

Ouch

What are Bonk and Johnson earning this year? I honostly thought they brought more to the team than Kosto and Smoke.

Our youth look good from an offensive standpoint, but I wish we had a little more defensive depth that could be called up. Oh well. I missed most of the game. How did Price look?

What are Bonk and Johnson earning this year? I honostly thought they brought more to the team than Kosto and Smoke.

Bonk makes 1.475, and Johnson makes 700k, both less than Smoke and Kost respectively.

Our youth look good from an offensive standpoint, but I wish we had a little more defensive depth that could be called up. Oh well. I missed most of the game. How did Price look?

Price was alright, nothing special either way.

Bonk makes 1.475, and Johnson makes 700k, both less than Smoke and Kost respectively.

Price was alright, nothing special either way.

I thought Price looked pretty solid considering being dumped in cold to a 3-0 game less than 5 min in. I honestly can't blame him for any of the 3 goals he allowed, but for the second game in a row I found myself wishing he had one or two game breaking saves in him. Solid but not spectacular. Hey, he was tied for the Habs offensive output with the Tiitz brothers with one point :lol:

Oh did Kostitsyn get a beating.

Ok, so Ottawa can...

* Out score

* Out fight

* Out Muscle

* Out goalie us....

But we make a better poutine.

i missed most of the game. why is the smallest guy on the team fighting? Lats, Laps and Begin are on this team for one fricking reason, so guys like smurf 74 don't need to fight.

I'm tellin' ya, Hamrlik's the key. When he returns, the ship will suddenly start steaming again, or at least stop sinking.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

I think there's a team to blame for this game. People are pointing at Huet. But it's really the whole team who played horribly.

Huet was off from the start but you're right, that was a team loss all the way. The Sens were the better team and wanted it more. If Huet was on the top of his game, maybe it was a 4-1 loss.

i missed most of the game. why is the smallest guy on the team fighting? Lats, Laps and Begin are on this team for one fricking reason, so guys like smurf 74 don't need to fight.

Lats and Laps can fight?!?! When, where...I want photographic evidence. Two 6 ft 2 in guys who I'm doubting will EVER fight. Hell, I'm a 6 ft 3in pacifist who's out of shape and I'm more likely to get in an NHL fight than these two pretty boys :lol:

Lats and Laps can fight?!?! When, where...I want photographic evidence. Two 6 ft 2 in guys who I'm doubting will EVER fight. Hell, I'm a 6 ft 3in pacifist who's out of shape and I'm more likely to get in an NHL fight than these two pretty boys :lol:

hell, im not saying they can. im sayng, "why aren't they??"

i should have rephrased my question - "why are they on this team if they wont stand up?" honestly, they are both young and developing, but neither of them bring the intesnsity needed for mid tier players trying to win a spot. think these guys are going to win you playoff series like c. lemieux, mcphee, skrudland, corson etc. did. ever? ever? im not seeing it. and its bringing me down.

hell, im not saying they can. im sayng, "why aren't they??"

i should have rephrased my question - "why are they on this team if they wont stand up?" honestly, they are both young and developing, but neither of them bring the intesnsity needed for mid tier players trying to win a spot. think these guys are going to win you playoff series like c. lemieux, mcphee, skrudland, corson etc. did. ever? ever? im not seeing it. and its bringing me down.

Agreed,both of these guys should be willing to fight...yet BOTH consistently run away from fights. Funny you mention Claude Lemieux, because to me him and Lapierre are carbon copies. Both big guys and instigators who are too chicken to actually fight.

Agreed,both of these guys should be willing to fight...yet BOTH consistently run away from fights. Funny you mention Claude Lemieux, because to me him and Lapierre are carbon copies. Both big guys and instigators who are too chicken to actually fight.

If Lapierre or Lats were carbon copies of Claude Lemieux I would plan the parade route.

1986 Claude Lemieux was one of the best players I have ever seen. No BS, tough as nails.

I wish I had the link, if anybody has it please post it. but his OT winner against Hartford was

the most determined shift I have seen in my lifetime.

Anybody who has ever seen Lemieux in the playoffs would never associate him as a chicken.

The Habs got Sylvain Turgeon for him, one of the worst trades in their history.

He may have had to go, but anybody who disrespects Claude Lemieux as a player is nuts.

Well done Wamsley. I stumbled across those posts, and can only conclude that their memories of Lemieux playing for us are fuzzy at best.

The ultimate pest, yes, but great skill set and knew how to use it. I always think of that winner v. Whale when I hear his name. If only we had ONE player like him on the roster now...let's just say floaters wouldn't float as much.

Claude was a winner for us.

Edited by tokyohabs

I was at the game last night.

When Bouillon iced the puck 19 seconds in I knew it was bad.

After Spezza scored right after I said Carbo should have pulled Huet and called a time out same as after the 2nd and 3rd goals.

Huet is NOT CLUCTH and can not play in pressure situations ; such as Saturday nights or against any divisional rival excluding Boston which is not saying much.

To blame this loss on anyone but Huet is nuts becuase when you allow 3 of thr first 4 shots you face to go in the game is over confidence is gone.

I thought our skaters actually played a decent game but this is what happens when you don't get quality goaltending. Price held his own in net, I wouldn't blame any of his goals on him, but Huet made our work cut out for us and then Emery was playing great in the other net.

We also need to work on our finish. Had we potted half of our good scoring chances, we could have had 12 goals.