Improvements for Game 4

smon

Obviously, the team needs to pick up their play a bit to match the Bruins intensity starting Tuesday. We all saw that the Bruins managed to turn Sunday's game into a streetfight so to speak, and I don't think it was an exaggeration to say that the best line for Montreal was Smolinski, Begin and Kostopoulous. That definitely has to change.

Some thoughts: The Kovalev line wasn't able to get anything going because they were being pushed around. The Higgins, Ryder and S. Kostitsyn line has done nothing of note so far in the series. Ryder's been hitting and the effort is there from him, but he can't seem to play well with those guys. O'Byrne might be a better choice on D than Streit, who has really struggled with the Bruins forecheck.

What are your thoughts for Tuesday? Should Carbonneau keep the same lineup or make some changes?

Not too worried, but I wouldn't be against replacing Brisebois with O'Byrne. Breezer looked a little rundown last game (although maybe the day of rest helps him play more like games 1 and 2)

I am not sure we need much tinkering with the lineup, barring Koivu returning.

What we need is for the guys to get a little scared and realize that this is the playoffs and they have to crank up the intensity level, every game. Look no further then our grinders, who have been playing great. We need our top two lines to pick up the intensity level and start using their speed against the Bruins. They need to come in fast and chip it past the defense (who are slow) and then get the puck. Last night they came in slow and dumped the puck in all the way, allowing Boston to defeat the forecheck.

I don't think we should panic. In the overtime the Habs were by far the better team and suddenly started skating and dominating. I think they realized they had to go all out for the win, but they got burned. I hope the lesson is not lost on them.. Play that hard at the first drop and you won't need overtime, where one shot wins.

It's become quite obvious that O'Byrne should be in the line up in the next game. I would switch Streit to offence, because he obviously is a little rusty at defence right now.

Another one who is not playing is usual game is Komisarek. He tends to protect himself when he goes in the corner, which is far from being usual for him.

We've seen adjustments after every lost game and the team get back there.

It all starts at defense.

The main reason why the forwards, Higgins, Plek, Kost could't use their speed was that the first pass

was by the boards or not on the tape. Why because Boston forwards were pressing the D to move fast.

Having O'byrne play higher and check the guy who wants to enter the zone or want to dump it would give

Hammer space for a first pass.

The return of Bouillon would be great. We need the hits, the hustle. Streit his not doing the job at D.

Having Koivu back would be great but let's be realistic he hasn't skate yet.

About line 2 we have options. There has not been a steady group there.

Higgins with Sergei and Grabovski would be very fast.

Sit Dandenault place Ryder there.

The problem is we have been trying to match Boston with the hits and started playing their game thereby denegrating ours, which is speed, creativity and smarts. I agree that Boston's sole purpose to hit every Habs, especially the defense, has not allowed the passing from D to O to be effective. I got scared everytime Brisebois went to play the puck, so definitely bring O'Byrne in, plus he can hit/punish. Also, Ryder is a one-trick pony. If he stays in the line-up he needs to be where he can be effective - in the slot for a pass or rebound, not trying to stick-handle into the Bruin zone and lose it every time. Other than that, hope for Koivu and Boullion to come back, give Kostopolous plenty of ice time and forget trying to outhit Boston, that's what they want us to do.

Streit has been awful defensively, rusty is a nice way to say it., He is taking stupid penalties, 4 already if i'm not mistaken. This is the problem with him, who are you going to take out of the line up out of the forwards. The 3rd and 4th line are trhe best going right now.

Switching O'Byrne for Brisbois has plusses and minuses, tougher in 1 end, hurts the O on the other end.

My solution is simple, GC needs to start calling out and challenging the go to guys not pulling there weight.

The team would do beeter if they skated and grew some balls in the corners.

The Habs still lead the series 2-1. No time to really panic, even though the Bruins seem to be right in the series. Couple of lineup options i think Carbo should consider assuming Koivu is not ready. 75-80% Koivu could still help the team. If Bouillon is not 100%, don't rush him back into the lineup. He is not good enough to help the Habs at less than 100%.

1) Move up Streit to forward, replacing Dandy. Insert O'byrne on D.

2) Insert Grabs in for Dandy, switching the lines around a bit.

3) O'byrne in for Breezer.

4) Grabs and O'byrne in for Dandy and Ryder. Move Streit up front.

Survivor Mode needed:

OutHustle

OutHit

OutScore

Simple really....... :rolleyes:

Doubt bringing Koviu back will help when it's basically the whole team (Price and the Lats line excluded) that need to play harder/hungrier.....

And if Koviu's only at 75-80% keep him out, he's had a few rough patches throughout the year playing at 100%

Boston is playing the friggin' trap and the Habs started to adapt more in the 2nd and 3rd period of last game by spreading the Bruins' players with cross-ice dumpings and attacking with more players.

The problem is that nobody seems willing to go to the damn net except the checking guys. That and our PP who sucks.

1) I'm not really sure I'd want O'Byrne out there with a team checking as tightly as the Bruins. O'Byrne ain't exactly the speediest or better passer out there. For the D it's all about getting to the puck first and clearing out the zone. Bouillon would be very useful just about now.

2) On offense, I'd put Lats with Higgins & S-Kosty and tell him to park his ass in front of the net.

3) I'd scratch Ryder and move Streit up with Lapierre & Dandy.

4) Grabs would get killed out there. He can't win faceoffs and he's knocked off the puck way too easy.

5) I'd tell Plex to start shooting the puck. He seemed to have completely stop shooting for weeks now. He's got a good shot, he needs to use it.

Boston is playing the friggin' trap and the Habs started to adapt more in the 2nd and 3rd period of last game by spreading the Bruins' players with cross-ice dumpings and attacking with more players.

The problem is that nobody seems willing to go to the damn net except the checking guys. That and our PP who sucks.

1) I'm not really sure I'd want O'Byrne out there with a team checking as tightly as the Bruins. O'Byrne ain't exactly the speediest or better passer out there. For the D it's all about getting to the puck first and clearing out the zone. Bouillon would be very useful just about now.

2) On offense, I'd put Lats with Higgins & S-Kosty and tell him to park his ass in front of the net.

3) I'd scratch Ryder and move Streit up with Lapierre & Dandy.

4) Grabs would get killed out there. He can't win faceoffs and he's knocked off the puck way too easy.

5) I'd tell Plex to start shooting the puck. He seemed to have completely stop shooting for weeks now. He's got a good shot, he needs to use it.

I agree, Grabovski is not the answer. He would be going for a 12 minute pleasure skate, not going anywhere near the corners.

If the PP can get on any type of groove this sucker will be over in 5. And with Mr. Shakey in net for the Bs, it is not a bad idea

to just shoot the puck at the net. I think after the first the Habs realized they were in a playoff series and they began to make

the proper adjustments. It will come. They did just enough last night and it wasn't good enough.

Does anybody think the Bruins can play a better game than last night? Does anybody think the Habs have another gear?

I think they come out on Tuesday and dictate the pace and bring a 3-1 lead back to the Bell Centre

My PP solution would be

a) Lats in the crease all the time. Andrei Kostitsyn isn't the solution now.

b) Markov to pinch to the net more often to collapse the Bruins' box and freeing some room for Kovy & Streit to shoot.

c) S-Kostitsyn down low to feed the slot/Kovy/the point.

Hey, it's worth trying...

My PP solution would be

a) Lats in the crease all the time. Andrei Kostitsyn isn't the solution now.

b) Markov to pinch to the net more often to collapse the Bruins' box and freeing some room for Kovy & Streit to shoot.

c) S-Kostitsyn down low to feed the slot/Kovy/the point.

Hey, it's worth trying...

They definitely need to get a big body in front, the Bs are clogging the passing lanes and taking away the pretty

cross ice feeds. So they need to go and get dirty and do things the old fashioned way. Strong accurate point shots

followed by crashing the crease. If something opens up then take it, but otherwise they need to get their noses dirty.

All this being said, if they just work hard as a team and bring playoff intensity to every game the Bruins are screwed.

I have faith that they will because if they don't, this team regardless of the what happens in the first round will be on

the way to the golf course sooner rather than later.

I have noticed that our defense is backing in way too much instead of attacking the Boston forwards. They need to step up and force the Bruins to dump and chase instead.

Dump and chase is what the Bruins have been doing since Game 2. And they dump in the corners where Price can't go and as soon as one of our D has the puck there's a Bruins on his ass.

But we've ajusted well in the last game. It took a shitty penalty and an extra player for the Bruins to score.

I think if the Habs start Game 4 the same way they finished Game 3, Boston will have an even harder time scoring.

-Streit has to move back to forward

-Brisebois has been okay, but I'd still rather have Bouillon or O'Byrne in there

-I'd slip Stewart in over Dandenault - but the lack experience bit does worry me...

Just some ideas. Still confident Habs will win Game 4 though.

What are your thoughts for Tuesday? Should Carbonneau keep the same lineup or make some changes?

He should definitely make a lineup change. There should have been a change after our poor effort in game two, despite the fact we won. Plus, we would have gotten some fresh legs for the second game in consecutive nights.

O'Byrne should be in for sure, for the obvious reasons. I wouldn't mind seeing Grabovski, even though I doubt we'll see him, and despite his overall lack of strength. He's just another player who can beat the Bruins with skill, instead of playing their own physical game.

-Streit has to move back to forward

-Brisebois has been okay, but I'd still rather have Bouillon or O'Byrne in there

-I'd slip Stewart in over Dandenault - but the lack experience bit does worry me...

Just some ideas. Still confident Habs will win Game 4 though.

Ditto all three.

I'd also add

- Make Latendresse do the reverse-Avery (as in, dance and do that gimmicky thing, but facing away from the goalie, which makes it legal)

- Simplify the game with the dump-and-chase (we're faster, and can take the punishment)

- Don't ever get caught with your legs not moving. It'll be tiring, yes, but it has cost us already.

They just gotta WAKE UP !!! the Habs are taking it very easy after their OT win in Game 2 !!! The Bruins are for real... in GAME 3 they totally outstaked the Habs (thank god Price was there...) Hopefully this will be their last and only mistake they'll make in this series! They better not let down all those Habs Fans who drove all the way to Boston to support them !!!

Any body that thinks Boston is a pushover is not looking at the playoffs properly. Boston is in this series with nothing to lose as all the pundits caled for Habs to beat Boston. I still believe Montreal will win the series as they are the better team.

I don't think GC needs to make many changes.

Move Streit up front. Put O'Byrne on the D and sit out either Ryder or Dandenault.

Apprently the Habs will work on the PP during practise today. That is a good thing. The bruins are taking away the passing lanes during our PP. We have to find new solutions to make sure our PP clicks! It is crucial if we want to get far in the playoffs.

Stop sending the puck to Kovy along the boards, the Bruins know this play and are countering it very well. Markov and Streit need to shoot more often from the point.

Take a good look at Markov tonight. You'll notice that whenever the puck comes to him at the Blue line, he will hesistate to shoot, and that fraction of a second allows a Bruins player to cover his shooting lane! Wake up Markov! You've been our worst player out there for the past 2 games.

Not too worried, but I wouldn't be against replacing Brisebois with O'Byrne. Breezer looked a little rundown last game (although maybe the day of rest helps him play more like games 1 and 2)

agreed Breeze is too easily intimidated, saw him turn away from the body several times, we want a go-to attitude to beat the broons

otherwise i think the players know they have to step up, i mean a loss to the broons was inevitable we can't expect to go like one trillion to zero on them, not a bad thing they won now Habs have to step up and show their mettle

He should definitely make a lineup change. There should have been a change after our poor effort in game two, despite the fact we won. Plus, we would have gotten some fresh legs for the second game in consecutive nights.

O'Byrne should be in for sure, for the obvious reasons. I wouldn't mind seeing Grabovski, even though I doubt we'll see him, and despite his overall lack of strength. He's just another player who can beat the Bruins with skill, instead of playing their own physical game.

Happy that they're both in (according to that radio station).