Game Thread | Canadiens de Montréal vs Boston Bruins | 04/19/08

KoZed

We lost a few games in a row again and like in the regular season we will come back winning 4-6 games in a row now. This will be a lovely ride to the east conf finals.

This is the 'darkest before the dawn' philosophy. I agree that it's one way to intepret Game 6: a classic 'last game before you come out of a slump.' I wish i could share your optimism though.

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it should have been. But they lack the killer instinct.

They got the early goal, they responded immediately to the 1-1 goal, they responded immediately to the 2-2 goal

and they still could not dig down deep and play 7 strong minutes.

Unfortunately they don't deserve to win this series. Things that I looked upon as character strengths now look like

massive red flags that were camoflagued but Price's outstanding play.

Komi should drop the gloves with Lucic, but he won't because he knows he'll get his ass kicked and that trickles down to pretty much the confidence this team carries right now.....None. I don't think much will change on Monday so it's pretty much weathering the storm and hoping Carey can save our ass. The whole theory of Speed over toughness is not working. We are not tough enough to beat the Bruins in a seven game series. Game seven is not going to be pretty.

I hope I'm wrong but I don't think so.

This is the 'darkest before the dawn' philosophy. I agree that it's one way to intepret Game 6: a classic 'last game before you come out of a slump.' I wish i could share your optimism though.

Blow of more steam! SCREAM FOR ME MONTREAL!!! (trying to sound like Bruce Dickinson of Iron Maiden)

Well, no goalie can steal a win with that kind of defensive coverage. That was as bad as our worst game of last season, defensively speaking. I maintain that we'll live or die by improving our D and by building on tonight's improvement from some of our key forwards. (Except Kovy, who took a huge step backward tonight). If we improve our coverage by about 15%, we may well win.

The Bruins are simply playing out of their minds. In their heads this is now Czechoslovakia vs. the USSR in 1968, or the Miracle on Ice, or the Habs in 2002 - pick a Cinderella run of your choice. When a team acquires that level of manic intensity and self-belief, it doesn't matter how bad they are, they become almost impossible to beat. It's like they're possessed. In THAT sense we should keep things in perspective: the Bs are NOT as good as they're playing right now, and we're not as bad. The *real* mistake was in not having the experience or will to prevent it from getting to this point.

I said going into the series, in one of the threads, that the big danger was that we'd be 1. too inexperienced and 2. too overconfident, and wouldn't take the bruins seriously enough; and if that happened, we'd unleash a perfect storm of rattled Habs and over-excited and massively energized Bruins. Lo and behold. :angry: Now we're reaping the whirlwind and just have to ride it out.

You nailed it. But I was not going to fear a team that had not given me any reason to fear them.

My biggest disappointment has been the work ethic. I always had confidence that Price would outplay Thomas and never

ever thought that the Bruins would outchance the Habs and Price could outplay Thomas and they could still lose.

Never saw that aspect coming.

One thing is for sure though. It has exposed a ton of flaws and has shone a spotlight on what the Habs need to improve in order

to get to the next level. We all knew that this was not really a 1 seed and the only reason they were in that position was because

Ottawa collapsed. The situation is beginning to remind me of the 1997 Dallas Stars who were exposed as pretenders and

allowed Gainey to assess and address the weaknesses. The next season they went deep in the playoffs and the next 2 they

played in the Stanley Cup Finals

Kovalev is an absolute quiter and a shame :angry:

A complete pussy and lazy loser and always will be.

He doesn't want to win at all, makes me want to :puke:

Kovy your a no-good lazy ######ing russian with no heart, desire, or committment.

RETIRE please.

(No sarcasm)

Don't hold back.... say what you really mean! :rolleyes:

"Turn out the lights, the party's over." I wonder how many of you are old enough to remember Dandy Don Meredith singing that on Monday night football? Well, whether you remember it or not, the truth of the matter is... we're done, we're completely done. We've been outplayed most of the series, and Monday is almost a formality.

We have absolutely no confidence left, and the panic has now even infected our otherwise great goalie. What did you guys see out there? We score a goal, and then we give up the whole neutral zone to a FORECHECKING team?!! Sure, let's allow them to easily gain the neutral zone and dump the puck in because THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT THEY WANT TO DO. Let's play 80% of the game in our own zone because we're sure to score that way?!!

You can blame our defense if you want, but I saw a bunch of forwards hanging back, allowing the Bruins to wind up at will. This is not because we're physically afraid of them, but afraid of them we are. After all, their team is laden with such great stars, right? I mean, surely we should be afraid of this offensive juggernaut Bruins team! (Sarcasm, for those of you who don't get it.) Why do you suppose they've scored 4 goals in the last 2 third periods? Cliche time: the only thing a prevent defense prevents is victory.

And I don't blame the coaches for this. Cole said at the start of the 3rd, that Muller had told them not to hang back, not to play defensively. So how do they start off? Hanging back, trying to play defensively! A coach can only TELL players what they should be doing. They are the ones who have to DO it.

Anyway, I've played a lot of hockey, I've watched a lot of hockey, and I've coached many different sports (including hockey) at the high school level, and I can tell you, that we are DONE. I hate to say it, and come Tuesday, I would gladly accept a rain of sh*t from you guys, saying how wrong I was, but I don't think so. I may not even watch Monday's game! But the combination of our lost confidence and the huge momentum that the Bruins have built up, is simply too much to overcome.

- Jack

"Turn out the lights, the party's over." I wonder how many of you are old enough to remember Dandy Don Meredith singing that on Monday night football? Well, whether you remember it or not, the truth of the matter is... we're done, we're completely done. We've been outplayed most of the series, and Monday is almost a formality.

We have absolutely no confidence left, and the panic has now even infected our otherwise great goalie. What did you guys see out there? We score a goal, and then we give up the whole neutral zone to a FORECHECKING team?!! Sure, let's allow them to easily gain the neutral zone and dump the puck in because THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT THEY WANT TO DO. Let's play 80% of the game in our own zone because we're sure to score that way?!!

You can blame our defense if you want, but I saw a bunch of forwards hanging back, allowing the Bruins to wind up at will. This is not because we're physically afraid of them, but afraid of them we are. After all, their team is laden with such great stars, right? I mean, surely we should be afraid of this offensive juggernaut Bruins team! (Sarcasm, for those of you who don't get it.) Why do you suppose they've scored 4 goals in the last 2 third periods? Cliche time: the only thing a prevent defense prevents is victory.

And I don't blame the coaches for this. Cole said at the start of the 3rd, that Muller had told them not to hang back, not to play defensively. So how do they start off? Hanging back, trying to play defensively! A coach can only TELL players what they should be doing. They are the ones who have to DO it.

Anyway, I've played a lot of hockey, I've watched a lot of hockey, and I've coached many different sports (including hockey) at the high school level, and I can tell you, that we are DONE. I hate to say it, and come Tuesday, I would gladly accept a rain of sh*t from you guys, saying how wrong I was, but I don't think so. I may not even watch Monday's game! But the combination of our lost confidence and the huge momentum that the Bruins have built up, is simply too much to overcome.

- Jack

Good post. I agree, but where there's life there's hope, and we ARE still alive.

This has been my worry all season long. How often does a small, highly skilled team that relies on its skating and PP go deep in the playoffs?

The Bruins or Philly would eat us for lunch at this rate.

Still, I doubt we could beat Pittsburgh. They choked last season, but this year they have more depth and more experience. They don't just have skill, their skill players are strong and tough. Malkin and Crosby would not be getting pushed around by the Bruins....

- Jack

I don't think Price played panicked at all. I thought he was outstanding. I have seen Patrick Roy, Eddie Belfour, Martin Brodeur disintigrate with that coverage.

He will be strong again. I just don't know if they have anything left. I would put O'Byrne back in the lineup, he has not taken the physical pounding that the

rest of the D has.

Price has to steal one as far as I'm concerned. I don't think they can contain the Bruins forecheck any longer.

ADDENDUM:

Good tonight: Koivu, Plex, Begin line, Higgins (awesome game), Komisarek, Bouillion (despite Kessel goal), Dandenault

Bad tonight: Kovalev, Markov, Hammerlick, both Kostitsyns, Streit (truly awful).

The rest were trying but mediocre (including Price).

- Jack

Edited by jackp

This has been my worry all season long. How often does a small, highly skilled team that relies on its skating and PP go deep in the playoffs?

The Bruins or Philly would eat us for lunch at this rate.

Still, I doubt we could beat Pittsburgh. They choked last season, but this year they have more depth and more experience. They don't just have skill, their skill players are strong and tough. Malkin and Crosby would not be getting pushed around by the Bruins....

I thought they could fight through it. But they are really wearing down as the series progresses.

I know you guys are pissed but I thought I'd say one thing. Last year the Canucks were up 3-1 in the series vs Dallas and Dallas won the next two games SHUTTING OUT VANCOUVER in both games. We came home and Dallas was leading 1-0 half way through the game. We hadn't scored for eons and it looked like it was over. It wasn't and we won 4-1(2 empty net goals though).

NEVER LOSE HOPE. IT AIN'T OVER UNTIL ITS OVER! HABS NEVER SURRENDER!

ADDENDUM:

Good tonight: Koivu, Plex, Begin line, Higgins (awesome game), Komisarek, Bouillion (despite Kessel goal), Dandenault

Bad tonight: Kovalev, Markov, Hammerlick, both Kostitsyns, Streit (truly awful).

The rest were trying but mediocre.

- Jack

Koivu was great offensively but his terrible back checking cost 2 goals. I give him the benefit of the doubt

because he is not in game shape, but I can't call him good tonight.

Habs never really had to fight for their lives all season long. Monday we'll see the true mettle of this team.

Yep, and I do not feel good about it. The D looks really worn down from the Bs forecheck

Markov should be a healthy scratch.

Brutal. Another god damn euro who would rather have the summer off.

F you Markov.

######KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

I am so pis**ed off right now.

I dont blame Price but i blame the Habs. Come on guys you need to be able to clear a puck out of your own end. We shot ourselves in the foot. We had our chances and blew it. Start preparing for next year boyz if you play like sh*t again.

Also F**K the refs. That was offside. Total BS calls throughout the entire game. What a surprise not a peep from DON CHERRY.

Well, I'm sure all the media (TSN, Sportsnet, [local]papers etc...) will also be pissing all over the Habs. And it's deserved IMO

Guess we'll see what this team is REALLY made of Monday, will they step up and play [with heart and pride] as a team at both ends of the ice? Or will they implode and contine their "stellar" play of the last 4-5 games.................

Yep, and I do not feel good about it. The D looks really worn down from the Bs forecheck

Well it can go both ways. Either being pushed to the wall is the only thing the Habs needed to raise their game... or they will completely self-implode under pressure.

Seems to me that the Habs haven't played at their full potential all series long, while Boston had been playing way above their head.

Monday both teams will have to give their all, so it could be a very different game.

WEAK MINDED LOSERS

I'M GOING TO THE MOVIES MONDAY

I'm almost thinking of not watching the game as well. It painful to watch. I will probably watch it because it is still to hard for me to stay away from my Habs no matter how bad they are playing.

Well it can go both ways. Either being pushed to the wall is the only thing the Habs needed to raise their game... or they will completely self-implode under pressure.

Seems to me that the Habs haven't played at their full potential all series long, while Boston had been playing way above their head.

Monday both teams will have to give their all, so it could be a very different game.

Hey, I still have hope, but that was demoralizing.

In the 3rd it looked like the damn broke and the Habs did not know what to do to stem the tide.

I have major concerns about the D and the ability of some individuals to raise their game.

AS long as Price slaps on the jersey they have a chance.

But that is 6 times they had a chance to either put a team on the brink or eliminate them in the last 2 playoffs

It was the 5th time they entered the 3rd with a lead or tied in those 6 games and they have won ONE of those 6 games.

That to me it a very telling statistic and is not a flattering one for the core of this squad.