First half 3 stars

BCHabnut

I have been thinking about the first half of the season and decided to list my 3 stars for the first half of the year. It's been a funny year, and what many thought would be a dynamic, offensively explosive team, has turned into a defense first, 5 on 5 winning team. I prefer this team to last year's BTW, for that reason. My list may be a little odd to some, but I am listing the stars as players who were not expected to make an impact, but helped their team greatly.

3rd star: Josh Gorges.

He was not even playing the game last year, but through the end of last season and the beginning of this season, he has proven that he is a top 4 Defense. He takes the hits to make the play. Spins the check to get the puck out. His mobility has proven very valuable at the back end. He stepped up and performed very well when Komi was hurt. His camaraderie with Price is nice to see. They are BFFs. This can also be infectious. These types of personalities have a way of bringing a team together.

2nd star: Robert Lang. (Carey Price should have this spot but injuries have affected my assessment)

He took a few games off, and may not be the impact guy a lot would like to see, but he has really stabilized our Centre position. He quietly makes his impact, combining great goals with solid defensive play. He puts up points consistently, and for a guy that was expected to be a 3rd centre getting minimal ice time, he has been a welcome surprise. Returning more to his form when he was a Cap or Pen, his inconsistent days in Detroit and Chicago are behind him, and I look forward to seeing what he can do in the second half.

1st star: Maxime Lappiere!

I got a huge man crush on this guy. Carbo must beam with pride as though he is his second son. Max has been a dynamo all year. He leads the team in overall faceoff percentage. He faces the other team's top lines often, but manages to keep the play in their zone for much of the shift. I feel that Max is turning into the shutdown guy that Carbo once was. He brings energy to his team with his all out effort, game in and game out. His aggressive PK style has made him very dangerous when he is out on the kill. He distracts his opponent and has become one of the most hated opponents in the league. Carbo was an agitator and wore the "C", I wonder if Max will ever get the chance? He definitely leads by example!

Laps? He was our first star of one game, not 40.

Land and Gorges are good picks though (maybe Gorges is more of an unsung hero than a 3rd star but I love this guy).

In place of Laps, it would have to be one of Markov, Kovalev and Price but there are drawbacks on all of them (for Price, it's the injuries).

Max has centred the best line the Habs had for the month of December. He is playing way above what is expected of him, while Komi, Markov, and Kovy have played below expectation this year. IMO.

In my opinion, Carey Price is clearly the first star. During the times when this team was playing terribly, he kept us in the games and got us wins that we did not deserve. He turned losses into wins and overtime losses. If we didn't have a great goalie doing that for us, we wouldn't have closer to 46 points than 56.

After him, the choices come down to Gorges, Hamrlik, Lang, and Tanguay. Gorges stepped up big time while Komi was hurt. Hamrlik is just pure consistency where we need it. Lang isn't necessarily an impact player, but he has definitely had an impact on the team. Tanguay was our best player early in the season and was a big reason that Kovy's lack of production didn't sink the team.

Lapierre, he's probably one of the stars over the last month, but certainly not for the season. Until Koivu went down, he was a 4th liner with some PK duties. He wasn't making any real impact on games until he got bumped to the 3rd line.

Gorges, Price, Lang. In no order.

Price for played very well, Gorges for holding the fort when Komi was out, and Lang for his 16 goals!

I know it's expected of him, but Markov is still our most valuable player. Without his puckmoving abilities, this team is average or worse. Wonder why we haven't struggled in spite of our injuries? He's been healthy. He does so many subtle things that even though the PP has struggled, he's still incredibly valuable.

Gorges and Lapierre is going to be a hell of a battle for the unsung hero award, although both have gotten decent praise... how they gave that award to Streit last year is beyond me... he was considered one of the key guys all year.

Lang is our offensive star (along with Markov). Who would've thought that?

I know it's expected of him, but Markov is still our most valuable player. Without his puckmoving abilities, this team is average or worse. Wonder why we haven't struggled in spite of our injuries? He's been healthy. He does so many subtle things that even though the PP has struggled, he's still incredibly valuable.

Gorges and Lapierre is going to be a hell of a battle for the unsung hero award, although both have gotten decent praise... how they gave that award to Streit last year is beyond me... he was considered one of the key guys all year.

Lang is our offensive star (along with Markov). Who would've thought that?

You make a point that, once made, is so blazingly obvious it's irrefutable. Markov has been a bit up and down but remains absolutely key. Hamrlik only slightly less so. They haven't come up much in this thread because we take them for granted.

1. Price

2. Markov

3. Hamrlik/Lang

I think the Lang acquistion has been just tremendous. He has given us some real depth down the middle and has made a huge difference given Plekanec's bizarre vanishing act. Although he hasn't been a star, he's been steady and productive and brought an all-around strong game that we profoundly need in the absence of Koivu and the Pleks of last year. I think he's gotta be on the list.

As great at Laps has been for the last little while, don't downgrade that impressive progress of Latendresse (which has much more exciting implications for our long-term future); and also, I think Gorges has brought more over the whole season than Laps. Gorges gets my "Fourth Star" award. ^_^ His development has been truly remarkable - and it seems to be ongoing...

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

I like some of these choices. I agree with saskhab that Markov needs consideration. As for Lang; wow. Who would have thought that out of him, BGL and Tangs that Lang would be the run away winner of the best new acquisition by Gainey last summer? Not to take anything away from Tangs but there was a little inconsistency to his game for a short time and unfortunately I count injuries when making these assessments.

Price, Lang and Markov in no specific order. :clap:

GO HABS GO :hlogo:

Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

Price, Lang and Markov in no specific order. :clap:

GO HABS GO :hlogo:

That sounds about right. Markov can go unnoticed at times, but it is difficult to overestimate his value to the team. At times this season he has not been at his best, but he gives the defense corps a dynamic aspect that lets the habs compete as a top team. In past seasons when he has had to sit out games it is amazing to see how much he is missed.

Better to use the WJC format.

Goalie - Price easily has stolen 12-15 points already.

Defenseman - Tie Gorges and Markov, Gorges is top 10 +/- and Markov has this team scoring at a higher pace than last year despite the powerplay.

Forward Lang, every line he has been on has been awesome.

1. Lang - Who would've thought that he'd lead the team in scoring?

2. Lapierre - He has really impressed me this season. He seems to be developping quite well.

3. Price/Halak: Had Price been healthy, I would've given him the first star; Halak has done a decent job replacing Price.

Ze Molson's Cup Tree Starz as selected by Mister Red Fischer of de Gazette newzpaperr:

La troisieme etoile, de turd star: Mats Naslooond!

La deuxieme etoile, de segond star: Larrrrry Rrrrrobinsonnnnn!

Et la premiere etoile, de first star: Guy La Fleurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Le Canadien vous remercie pour....

Ah, the old voice of the Habs still rings true for me. :)

My picks would be:

1) Carey Price: He's been playing at a very high level all season-long with hardly any streak, and is enjoying a great season thus far. I think some people are hesitant to give him the credit he deserves because they are used to goalies standing on their head, and looking the the lone stars on mediocre teams (like Hackett and Theodore... or some look at Steve Mason right now), but it takes a great goalie to offer such consistency under the pressure of playing on a contender.

2) Andrei Markov: He controls the play, and is or best player on the ice during most games. He's enjoying another great season so far, especially during the first quarter of the season where some even talked about a possible nomination for the Norris.

3) Robert Lang: Without a doubt our most consistent player all season long, giving us the same level of play almost every game (with the possible exception of his line with Tanguay and D'Agostini that just didn't work). I mentioned this summer that under the right circumstances he may end up our best centre, and he's been in my opinion our best centre since day 1. He's finally giving us what we failed to get from Bonk and Juneau in the past.

I'm not sure why people are mentioning Maxim Lapierre, I guess he's the flavor of the month. I really like him, don't get me wrong, but he's only got points in 4 of his last 16 games, and a total of 13 for the season. His line is playing quite well, but we're not getting a whole lot of offense from them considering they're now playing 15-17 minutes per game. I never doubted that Lapierre could become a very good depth player, but he sure hasn't given us anything that remotely matches what we're getting from guys like Price, Markov, and Lang.