1. 1. here are your choices

• Star Foward
    • Star Dman
    • Depth Foward
    • Depth Dman
    • Starting goalie
    • 2nd fiddler
    • Decent draft picks

Of course Bouwmeester and Lecavalier would be awesome but to be realistic I think a Depth Dman will be in BG's priority. I,m pretty sure Mr Timmins would love to have another 1st rounder to play with as the talent pool is tremendous this year( or so I hear).

If Gainey has the chance to get to his big centerman I think he should go for it.

As well if anybody wants some of our dead wood( read begin, dandy...) you get what you can for them.

One name I would love to see back is Beauchemin. If somehow Bob could land his rights and start negociating asap with him we could see a decent Dman sign long term and would ease Komisarek's potential leave.

Well, right now it's not like we are in any position to make a trade... We have like no cap room. This next week will be imperative in determining is Kovy needs to go. If he plays well enough to stay, leave the team as is. If not, I would ship try to ship him out for a star forward or a couple of depth forwards. I think with Schneider, our D is stabilizing.

Actually... If Kovy plays well enough to stay, THAT is when we need to trade him because thats when we will actually get something valuable for him. I liked the Kovy of last year but this year hes just to unreliable.

Actually... If Kovy plays well enough to stay, THAT is when we need to trade him because thats when we will actually get something valuable for him. I liked the Kovy of last year but this year hes just to unreliable.

His value won't go up even if he scores 15+ points between now and the trade deadline.

His value won't go up even if he scores 15+ points between now and the trade deadline.

Yes it will. Same thing if he plays his worse games of the year, his value will drop.

We have many UFAs that will not be back next season - I hope!

Trade them for what you can get in the form of draft picks. Including Kovalev.

If there is a possibility of a star forward then I am all for it. We have needed one for ages. I love Koivu and mean no disrespect but he never was and never will be a "star forward".

Winning this year is a pipe dream. Start looking forward and do what helps us then.

We have many UFAs that will not be back next season - I hope!

Trade them for what you can get in the form of draft picks. Including Kovalev.

If there is a possibility of a star forward then I am all for it. We have needed one for ages. I love Koivu and mean no disrespect but he never was and never will be a "star forward".

Winning this year is a pipe dream. Start looking forward and do what helps us then.

Ya and he will probably take "not star money as well!" Koivu is a good little centre with great work ethic and strong faceoff prowess, If he can be signed for the right money, he he should be signed. Unless the Habs can pick up a superstar centre.

:hlogo: I would go into the play-offs with the 4 centre's we now have as Metropolit is a decent centre good on face offs, & hopefully Lang will return. What we really need is more toughness to get by Philly & Boston also we need another D-man with Bouillon out as I would only use Briseboise to give Schneider a rest once in awhile. I would go after R.Smyth, I. Laperriere & J. Leoplod from Colorado. Offer Tanguay, Dandenault, D'Agostini, Chipchura & O'Byrne. We would be giving up 2 UFA's & receiving 2 UFA's but Tangauy's salary would have to be moved to bring in Smyth. Our line up would look like this: Halak/Price D- Schneider/Markov, Komisarek/Hamrlik, Leopold/Gorges depth Briseboise. Up front Kostitsyn/Plecanek/Kovalev, Higgins/Koivu/Smyth, Latendresse/Lapeirre/Kostopolous, Pacioretty/Metropolit/Laperriere. Play Pac's on third line until Lat's is back and Stewart on the fourth line. (depth with Lat's back Stewart & Laraque)

I posted this in the Permanent Rumour Thread, but there is still a chance for Jokinen and if I were Bob, I'd go for it. Ideally, the package would include Higgins and Chipchura. I don't hate these players, they just have some value and trading them is probably a necessity for this type of deal. After that, it's pure prospects (as in guys that aren't on our team) that we can deal to sweeten the pot, likely a d-man. I don't know how big we'd have to go on this, and I'm not sure how big we should go. But there's a shot at a deal here and I like how Jokinen fits for now and next year (and possibly beyond if the relationship is a positive). Having a Jokinen-Plekanec punch down the middle would be great.

We'd have to either get Phoenix to take Dandy as part of it or deal him for a non-roster asset (prospect/draft pick) to create the cap space. But there is just enough cap space to do all this, call up/acquire a d-man to replace Dandy/Bouillon (who is on IR) and keep all our important pieces that are currently on the roster. Since we've got Metropolit and Jokinen signed through next year, the idea of Chipchura cracking the roster seems less anyways, and it gives Maxwell and then Fortier time to develop in Hamilton.

I don't know how our lines would break out, but with Tanguay returning he'll fill in for Higgins' spot immediately, so there isn't a real drop off from moving him in that regard.

I have a makeshift lineup looking like this:

Kosty - Plexo - Kovy

Tanguay - Jokinen - D'Ago

Pacioretty - Koivu - Metro

Stewart - Lapierre - Kostopo

Laraque

Guillaume would likely slide in on Koivu's wing eventually or something. That would get figured out later.

Markov - Schneid

Hamrlik - Komi

Gorges - Breeze

Janik?

Apparently O'Byrne suffered a concussion so a secondary move might need to be made to acquire a cheap depth d-man with NHL experience in the interim, unless Janik is indeed good enough. We'll have to see.

In that lineup, there are 4 UFA forwards and 3 UFA d-men (4 with Janik, I guess). Tanguay and Komisarek are key re-signings, as is Plekanec as a RFA. After that, it's about possibly short term contracts and in house promotion to fill out the rest of the roster.

Please Bob don't bring Jokinen to Montreal...the habs are not contenders if we continue to give up 40+ shots a game...

Give up some players and go get Boumeister (if they can sign him)...I love Higgins, but he has not had the same offensive since the ankle injury last year...Chips is totally expendible and throw in a pick...

Boumeister is a franchise player whose young and healthy...with all of the UFAs we've got we can sign him long term and build an insane defense with solid goaltending...that's what wins cups!

I'm not sure we can afford to invest any more top dollars in our defense. The problem is that Komi should be playing better. If all of our guys are playing up to out potential, we would have a defense as good as almost anyone in the league.

I would NOT trade any of these prospects.

PK Subban

Ryan Mcdo

Carey Price

Max Pac

S Kost

Ben Maxwell

Kristo

These players are too valuable for Habs future to be traded for a player who will fill a hole

in the line up that players and coaches had 82 games to build for 2009 playoffs.

There is way to may question on who's gonna be there next year to unload the prospect pool

right now.

All UFA'S should have a tag sale if the offer is right. Like it or not it's gambling the future to completely

close your mind to trust a player who can turn his back to you at the end of the year.

All the players with a contract for next year are out of the question deal. Except Metropoly t.

Elevating Kristo to that level already is kind of odd, but good list of prospects. That being said, I'll add "for a rental" to that list... if it's for a long term asset, I could be twisted into including a couple of people on that list for the right fit. But I wouldn't be too happy about it, that's for sure.

Yes it will. Same thing if he plays his worse games of the year, his value will drop.

I disagree. Teams know what they'll get with Kovalev. Regardless.

If he totally bombed this season, maybe his value will drop a bit. The reverse is also true, that even if he plays well, his value wouldn't rise that much. Teams know they'll be getting a potential game breaker whenever Kovalev feels like it.

But he isn't playing that badly. He's on pace for roughly 60 pts this season.

I'm not sure we can afford to invest any more top dollars in our defense. The problem is that Komi should be playing better. If all of our guys are playing up to out potential, we would have a defense as good as almost anyone in the league.

+1, add Hammer to the "play better" list.

What do y'all think of Tkachuk? He's a big tough cventre that the Habs have needed for the longest time. Added bonus, he's an UFA next year, so if it doesn't work out, you let him walk. Also, at 4.5 million$, he's not tooo expensive...not only doesn he toughen up our forwards, but he has lots of experience!

As for Gainey not talking to players during this season, that could end up being a very smart move. If the cap drops significantly, then free agent prices are going to go down. If we handed out big, long term deals before knowing about the cap, they could be constricting themselves prematurely.

As for Gainey not talking to players during this season, that could end up being a very smart move. If the cap drops significantly, then free agent prices are going to go down. If we handed out big, long term deals before knowing about the cap, they could be constricting themselves prematurely.

on the other hand if his plan fails he will look really stupid and people( me for one) will call for his head.

I don't think tha Bg is that interested in many of our UFAs but rather at Detroit's and maybe will pitch for Lecavalier at the entry draft in june.

on the other hand if his plan fails he will look really stupid and people( me for one) will call for his head.

I don't think tha Bg is that interested in many of our UFAs but rather at Detroit's and maybe will pitch for Lecavalier at the entry draft in june.

How much more likely, though, is a guy like Komi re-signing in January vs. June? Would there be any savings? We don't know that. We assume there would be, but we don't know. Maybe their UFAs want fair markey value no matter what. And do we even know if Bob follows this "mandate." Maybe it's all just done behind the scenes and he doesn't make it publicly known that he's talked to guys. Remember, he did resign Koivu mid-season.

So you think Bob really wants Hossa?

How much more likely, though, is a guy like Komi re-signing in January vs. June? Would there be any savings? We don't know that. We assume there would be, but we don't know. Maybe their UFAs want fair markey value no matter what. And do we even know if Bob follows this "mandate." Maybe it's all just done behind the scenes and he doesn't make it publicly known that he's talked to guys. Remember, he did resign Koivu mid-season.

So you think Bob really wants Hossa?

Hossa or Franzen... why wouldn't he? They're both have a good package of skills and are incredilby knowledgable about the game... which makes them easy to coach, too.

We need a first line player for sure moving forward.

Hossa or Franzen... why wouldn't he? They're both have a good package of skills and are incredilby knowledgable about the game... which makes them easy to coach, too.

We need a first line player for sure moving forward.

Hossa was just the only big UFA I noticed, I wasn't sure if you realize Zetterberg was locked up already. I'd be up for going after Hossa, but I think Franzen is gonna get way overpaid. His playoff performance really raised his value. He's a 2nd line player who is going to get 1st line money in my opinion. At the right price I would love his front-of-the-net toughness, but I just see him getting a bigger contract than he's worth. He reminds of Ryan Smyth. You love what he brings to a team and is a productive player, but ended up with a contract about 1.5-2 million too much a year.

Also, if I were Bob, I would do everything I could to convince TB that Hamrlik is the top pairing D-man they want in a deal for Vinny. The bozos running that team might actually go for it. Send them Hamrlik, the rights to Koivu and Kovalev, Maxwell, a D prospect, and they might actually go for it. Remember how cheaply they gave away Richards.