Habs vs. Leafs | Game Thread

Fanpuck33

Can Edison speak French? It might be interesting to conduct a few AC/DC experiments on most of the roster.

Lapierre, Latendresse, Tanguay, Kostopolous, rooks and the recent (last 3 games) Higgins are excused. Markov on the bubble. Rest of you, line up.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After we all cool down from another loss, do you really want Koivu's career to end on the waiver-wire??

Would a firing squad be better???? :lol:

they should just admit that we don't have the horses. We needed to get Sundin to push Koivu way down the depth chart, but we didn't. Lang did a decent job, but once he went down we were screwed at centre. Add to that poor goaltending and Kovy being out to lunch, and this team in the 2nd half is playing to potential.

If Bob Gainey seriously thinks this is a top team, then he needs to go.

Anybody seeing us signing Khabibulin this summer? We are actually lucky that we dont have these players stuck with us for 7 more years like all other teams deal out their contracts. That is one thing that Gainey has done well. We can actually start a rebuild this summer and use the youngsters we already have signed. Maybe we could sign one or two good UFA's this season from other teams.

Thanks, Brian! I was just lamenting that you weren't on YIM to answer this question for me, haha.

Sorry if I came off like a dick, nyckdkool. I thought the playoff roster stuff was more common knowledge, but given how it was so hard to track down info about it, I guess that assumption was incorrect.

They were actually discussing this during the game. They had mentioned bringing up Denis, and they also mentioned waivers, and that if Denis were claimed, he would be ineligible to play for the claiming team, although Florida attempting to block him would be a possibility.

Anybody seeing us signing Khabibulin this summer? We are actually lucky that we dont have these players stuck with us for 7 more years like all other teams deal out their contracts. That is one thing that Gainey has done well. We can actually start a rebuild this summer and use the youngsters we already have signed. Maybe we could sign one or two good UFA's this season from other teams.

Damn, I hate the "R" word...but I guess we have no choice. :puke:

Holy crap, Khabibulin would be a great idea ! I like it.

Can Edison speak French? It might be interesting to conduct a few AC/DC experiments on most of the roster.

Lapierre, Latendresse, Tanguay, Kostopolous, rooks and the recent (last 3 games) Higgins are excused. Markov on the bubble. Rest of you, line up.

I know where the electrodes should be attached, that is if the technician can locate them . .

I actually think u must reach rock-bottom before u can get a topteam for years to come, unless u are lucky like detroit and find Zetterberg and Datsyuk late in the drafts. We need to draft one or two franchise players and build around them, we can still hope Price is one with a sophmoreyear. (PLS dont be a new Jim Carey/Jose Theodore).

I though this was our rebuild coming to fruition. Maybe instead of Gainey's five year plan, next time we need a 20-year plan. A secret project involving the DNA of Maurice Richard, Jacques Plante and Newsey Lalonde and a team of surrogate teens from Jonquière.

Khabibulin, nope. We have goaltenders. Put out any goalie who has to face 40+ shots every night; who sees guys crashing into him with no fear of retaliation every night; whose d-men back in and team allows possession on our own zone for 40 minutes every night; whose team sinks and hangs their heads after the opening goal, and wait until 5 minutes to go in the 2nd to get going every night; whose forwards play soft and lazy up at their blue line, allowing booming point shots every night; who has guys camped out in his crease every night; whose team allows 10-15 fantastic chances from the slot every night; and they will make mistakes. Brodeur included.

We have to completely change not only our d personnel, but our whole philosophy as a team. Though it is hard to call what they do now a 'philosophy', or anything resembling structure. D should be aggressive, pressuring, hitting, standing up at the blueline, conceding nothing; forwards should be looking to hit in the neutral zone, clamping down on the points, diving in front of shots, diving to clear the zone; the two have to work as an integrated unit defensively, not two separate groups, one panicked into clearouts, the other waiting idly above the blueline for passes that don't come. So if this means the team becomes d-first, then so be it; this other stuff is not working at all.

We have to change up a lot of the forward personnel too; can't afford to have guys take 3-4 games off and show up once in a while with a tease of a game.

We have to give the mantle of Captain to someone (Lapierre, obviously) who leads by example on the ice, no matter his role, who says 'Elle va etre difficile a digerer' after a loss, not platitudes and pablum.

We need a star o-player who is a threat every game, not pushing a 36-year-old body to do things it can no longer do, and only once in a while. We need someone who is more or less irreproachable to grab underperformers by the scruff and say 'I'm not having this on my team: unacceptable.'

We need guys who hate and detest losing, not guys who are afraid of losing...or, even worse, used to losing.

We need change.

We need Obama.

We have to give the mantle of Captain to someone (Lapierre, obviously) who leads by example on the ice, no matter his role, who says 'Elle va etre difficile a digerer' after a loss, not platitudes and pablum.

Hell, we've tried everything else...why not rip the C off of Koivu before the next game and give it to someone like Lapierre...someone who actually gives a shit?

The only reason not to do it is if Koivu is indeed sitting on a contract extension...which would be sheer stupidity given how he's playing, and will be enough to make me take a sabbatical from this team until he's gone.

Edited by sbhatt

They were actually discussing this during the game. They had mentioned bringing up Denis, and they also mentioned waivers, and that if Denis were claimed, he would be ineligible to play for the claiming team, although Florida attempting to block him would be a possibility.

what happens if a goalie is injured? cant they call up Denis without fuss?

I though this was our rebuild coming to fruition. Maybe instead of Gainey's five year plan, next time we need a 20-year plan. A secret project involving the DNA of Maurice Richard, Jacques Plante and Newsey Lalonde and a team of surrogate teens from Jonquière.

OMG that made me pee :lol:

Wouldnt expect this team to peak until a couple more years. Koivu, Kovy, Hamrlik... they're just fillers. The real foundation of the team has only been drafted a couple years ago.

Anybody seeing us signing Khabibulin this summer?

Khabibulin? No!

We need a veteran backup for Price, but the funny thing is, we already have him in the system, playing in Hamilton.

We should have traded Halak. Already failed twice there.

If we don't make the playoffs this year, the one responsable has to go. Our GM. *sigh*

Last nights' game was unaccaptable.

what happens if a goalie is injured? cant they call up Denis without fuss?

Yep, if he's an emergency callup (as he's been in his 3 callups this year), he can avoid both types of waivers. The interesting thing is all the information I have doesn't have Denis requiring re-entry waivers like was discussed last night - his AHL salary is $100,000 CDN and anyone making more than $100,000 US requires re-entry. Considering the Canadian dollar hasn't been over the USD at any time lately, I personally don't think he'd require re-entry waivers to begin with.

Yep, if he's an emergency callup (as he's been in his 3 callups this year), he can avoid both types of waivers. The interesting thing is all the information I have doesn't have Denis requiring re-entry waivers like was discussed last night - his AHL salary is $100,000 CDN and anyone making more than $100,000 US requires re-entry. Considering the Canadian dollar hasn't been over the USD at any time lately, I personally don't think he'd require re-entry waivers to begin with.

I thought I had read somewhere that he signed for less money in the AHL so that he would have a better chance of playing in the NHL because he would not have to go thru waivers to get there. I can't remember where I read it but will try to find it.

1. They give the zone

2. They don't hit along the board

3. The space between the dmen and the forwards is amazing

Correct 2 of these 3 things and we make the playoffs easily.

Did they do that yesterday ? Didn't watch the game...

Man these guys really suck. I know if Price didn't play and Halak did they would have have won. Oh wait a minute, you can't blame Price for that one, Halak did play. It's the 18 players on the ice that suck ass that is the problem. Goaltending is like problem #15.

Tokyo habs, well said. I have been saying the same thing for a few years.

It's funny, the worst players on this team this year are wearing the C, A, A. Unfortunately when your best and highest paid players area complete no show for the year your not going anywhere. Christ Lapierre is almost outscoring Kovalev and Koivu.

Naa Naa Naa Naa, Naa Naa Naa, hey hey hey, good bye to the playoffs. I doubt the habs win two more games the rest of the year.

The good news is the slump will move them up the draft board.

The other good news is when know one is resigned they'll have 30 mill to try again.

Why the heck did they cancel practice yesterday? It's not like they don't need it.

Well, I was at the game Saturday night, and Boy was I ashamed to be wearing my Habs jersey!

A truly pathetic performance. once again, we only had one line out there that was playing hard(Lapierre's line) and the rest were nowhere to be found.

I am disgusted with this team! :puke: