I can't believe we traded Leclair!

Colin

What were they thinking!

Even that Bulis/Zednik/Perezhogin deal...none of them are even on the roster anymore! Meanwhile, Zubrus is kicking ass everywhere he plays!

Edited by huzer

Losing Eric Deardins in the deal was the real killer

Desjardins was the prize, leclaire was the bonus.

Serge Savard tried to pass the brisebois but the flyers did take the bait.

:huh:

Are we doing this now? Visiting bad old trades?

Claude Lemieux for Sylvain "14 goals over 2 seasons" Turgeon.

Guy Carbonneau for Jim "5 games and gone" Montgomery

Valeri Bure for Jonas *But he's big!" Hoglund

Pierre Turgeon, Craig Conroy and Rory Fitzpatrick for Shayne "Overrated" Corson and Murray "Can't turn right, won't even try left" Baron

Patrick Roy & Mike Keae for Jocelyn "Beau petit bonhomme" Thibault, Andrei "1 season and gone" Kovalenko and Martin "Lindros broke me" Rucinsky.

Donald Brashear for Jassen "6-5 220 lbs of softness" Cullimore

Stephane Richer, Darcy Tucker and David Wilkie for Patrick "Oh noes, an open net!" Poulin, Mick "Dont wanna fight anymore" Vukota and Igor "Let see how fast I can injury myself" Ulanov.

Desjardins was the prize, leclaire was the bonus.

Serge Savard tried to pass the brisebois but the flyers did take the bait.

I thought Gilbert Dionne was the price.  ^_^

Only as a joke/response to the AK thread of revisiting past drafts. :wacko:

I thought so much.

I almost started revisiting every draft in reversed chronological order... but I got depressed and stopped after Chouinard < Gagne in 98.

Pierre Turgeon, Craig Conroy and Rory Fitzpatrick for Shayne "Overrated" Corson and Murray "Can't turn right, won't even try left" Baron

Patrick Roy & Mike Keae for Jocelyn "Beau petit bonhomme" Thibault, Andrei "1 season and gone" Kovalenko and Martin "Lindros broke me" Rucinsky.

Stephane Richer, Darcy Tucker and David Wilkie for Patrick "Oh noes, an open net!" Poulin, Mick "Dont wanna fight anymore" Vukota and Igor "Let see how fast I can injury myself" Ulanov.

this post makes me so very, very sad

:(

After the patrick Roy trade, this has got to be the second worst trade in habs History! Third worst has to be the Chelios for a washed up Denis Savard. 4th worse trade in Habs history..."Sneaky Pete" Turgeon, Craig Conroy, Rory Fitzpatrick for Shayne Corson and Murray Baron!

Just goes tyo show how Horrible the reggie houle era was!

:huh:

Are we doing this now? Visiting bad old trades?

1st shift !!! :lol:

I thought Gilbert Dionne was the price. ^_^

no he was a condition for montreal to accept the trade !!

Yep. The Houle era really was THAT bad. Unspeakably, unimaginably bad beyond all infinite dimensions of cosmic badness. Of course, the Leclair trade was Serge Savard's handiwork, but it's worth noting that he did get a bona-fide elite player back (Recchi) and that Leclair benefitted enormously from being centred with Eric Lindros (certainly he had never come anywhere close to producing consistently for us). So that trade at least made a modicum of rational sense. Also Savard had a track record of swinging some damned canny deals (the Chelios trade notwithstanding). What distinguishes Houle is that his trades were just patently idiotic.

Now I know that the Roy trade is the worst in Habs' history, and that the Turgeon trade might be the outright *stupidest* of these deals ('we just had no room for Turgeon on the top two lines!' - duh, because you *moved* Damphousse from his natural wing position to centre, you jackasses!). But the trade on that list that I found the most sheerly infuritating was actually the Odelein-for-Richer trade. Odelein was no superstar, but he *was* by far our toughest and most reliable defenceman and a real leader in the room. We had no replacement for him on our top-4. Any fool could see he was a key cog to that defence corps. Yet they dealt him away for a notorious head-case and anti-leader who for his entire career - except for two early seasons - refused to produce at anything like his talent level would imply. What made it worse was that the French media went all ga-ga over Richer ('Bienvenue Stéphane!!' blared the headlines), only to be (predictably) disappointed by the results, and then experssing surprise that Odelein went on to be such a strong contributor to the Devils. Just an appalling act of circle-jerking in collective ignorance. I still smoulder when I think about it. :angry:

Mario Tremblay, if you ever read this post, YOU are on my ALL TIME TOP 5 MOST HATED PEOPLE ON EARTH !!!!

:puke: on your shoes :puke:

Now I know that the Roy trade is the worst in Habs' history, and that the Turgeon trade might be the outright *stupidest* of these deals ('we just had no room for Turgeon on the top two lines!' - duh, because you *moved* Damphousse from his natural wing position to centre, you jackasses!). But the trade on that list that I found the most sheerly infuritating was actually the Odelein-for-Richer trade. Odelein was no superstar, but he *was* by far our toughest and most reliable defenceman and a real leader in the room. We had no replacement for him on our top-4. Any fool could see he was a key cog to that defence corps. Yet they dealt him away for a notorious head-case and anti-leader who for his entire career - except for two early seasons - refused to produce at anything like his talent level would imply. What made it worse was that the French media went all ga-ga over Richer ('Bienvenue Stéphane!!' blared the headlines), only to be (predictably) disappointed by the results, and then experssing surprise that Odelein went on to be such a strong contributor to the Devils. Just an appalling act of circle-jerking in collective ignorance. I still smoulder when I think about it. :angry:

The problem with the Houle era is that he had no good pro scout to advise him. GMs dont make decisions alone, they dont know all the players, they need to be well-surrounded. Houle was a n00b left without supervision. He got better as time went on, but the damage was already made and the team was depleted of any talent. 

As for Richer, it looked like a good deal at the time. Richer lead the Devils in 94-95 with 23 goals and 39 pts in 45 games and then 21 pts in 19 games as the Devils went on to win the Cup; and Odelein wasnt really tough anymore. He had that hat-trick game and that 5 assists game not far appart and from then on he started to believe he was Bobby Orr. The problem with Richer was his injured ankles. He could barely skate anymore. 

Well, as far as failed attempts at humor goes, this is right up there. I only mentioned Leclair because people always bitched when we played against him. Quite the Habs killer... Of course there are numerous other lopsided, boneheaded trades out there.

Why did you guys have to bring up the Houle rein of error again? I spent a lot of time and effort to repress those memories :puke:

About S. Savard.

yes he drafted like a puke in the 90s

and yes he did trade away Leclair and Desjardins (for still a good player: Recchi) and a greater one in Chellios...

however, he did some magical moves that led us to the cup.

do you think that by having Corson and Richer instead of Damphousse and Muller, we'd won the cup?

Savard made out like bandit on both of those trades.

what he wasn't good at, was keeping his key LEADER veteran instead of trading them until retirement. I mean, he traded some of our biggest leader for "songs"

Keane, Carbo, Skrudland, Bobby Smith for a 4th, Mcphee for a 5th. etc. those guys should have retired with us instead of trading them for nothing.

also, in 89, both Lafleur and Robinson were signed as FA by Qc and LA... don't you think they could have been given small roles here? yes! :( sad sad.

About S. Savard.

yes he drafted like a puke in the 90s

and yes he did trade away Leclair and Desjardins (for still a good player: Recchi) and a greater one in Chellios...

however, he did some magical moves that led us to the cup.

do you think that by having Corson and Richer instead of Damphousse and Muller, we'd won the cup?

Savard made out like bandit on both of those trades.

what he wasn't good at, was keeping his key LEADER veteran instead of trading them until retirement. I mean, he traded some of our biggest leader for "songs"

Keane, Carbo, Skrudland, Bobby Smith for a 4th, Mcphee for a 5th. etc. those guys should have retired with us instead of trading them for nothing.

also, in 89, both Lafleur and Robinson were signed as FA by Qc and LA... don't you think they could have been given small roles here? yes! :( sad sad.

Houle is the one who traded Keane with Roy. :puke: :puke: :puke:

Well, as far as failed attempts at humor goes, this is right up there.

You should have known better than to expect Habs fans to be light-hearted about past trade blunders. :P

I'm still waiting for someone to bitch about how we trade Doug Harvey to NYR for nothing...

Don't forget Langway, Engblom, Jarvis and Laughlin for Green and Walter.

Langway and Jarvis for Green and Walter would have been OK. Green and Walter were young and good players. What I can't figure out about that on was throwing in Engblom???