April 16th, 2009 | Canadiens @ Bruins | Game 1 Thread

Cataclaw

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Entertaining game though. The refs you can't blame, even if you want to, I felt Bruins got away with a lot, but we only need a split, we matched the Bruins hit for hit, despite what that idiot announcer Millian was saying.

I am proud of the way the Habs battled tonight. This is going to be a long series and the Habs will come back. I wonder why some of the people posting on this board call themselves fans. If you dont like the team F88k off. Go cheer for Detroit--IMHO

And the fat lady sings... we played pretty good.. and still it was not enough.

Its like our loss in OT.. everyone was impressed? How about we win a few before we start getting excited.

That is a defeatist attitude. You take small things from each game, build upon them.

The Bruins got demolished in game 1 last year. THey played their best game in 2 and 3 and were on the verge of

going down 3-0.

The playoffs are about adjustments. We'll see who makes the better ones, and who can create a spark from their bench.

I hate the Boston carebears. I hate Zdeno "Frankensteins monster" Chara. I hate Milan "Its a soccer town and a swedish soccer player" Lucic.

Another free day ruined by staying up all night getting dissapointed. /CRY

An adjustment the habs have to make, re-confirm the forwards commitment to getting the puck from the defense near their own blue line, you can't make the D do long bomb 2 line passes all game.

well definitely disappointed with the way that ended up. This game was definitely there for the taking.

I really felt most of the guys played good games, Price in particular.

But man oh man, if Briesbois is in the lineup on Saturday night I'm going to puke. Man was he God awful tonight.

PLeks is just SOFT.

You can't win with players who will not commit to getting killed in the playoffs. Taking a hit can

create scoring chances. You can't win playoff games from the perimeter.

That is a defeatist attitude. You take small things from each game, build upon them.

The Bruins got demolished in game 1 last year. THey played their best game in 2 and 3 and were on the verge of

going down 3-0.

The playoffs are about adjustments. We'll see who makes the better ones, and who can create a spark from their bench.

Well, I guess you are right.. I see no way we win. Less then 10% chance. Anything is possible, but I didn't see Montreal play any different then any other night. The 3rd period when we were tied, we were outshot. Our guys can't get shots on the net. We had entire lines that were in a fog. We took stupid penalties.

I hope I am wrong, but I just can't see how Gainey pulls this off. It is depressing for sure.

Really, really disappointing. The game I saw was *exactly* the one I wanted to see - the Habs playing an all-around committed game, matching the Bruins physically, going into the final 10 minutes tied - you couldn't have written a better script for a road-game in the playoffs. All the while, though, I had a feeling it wasn't going to materialize...and that's because this team has consistently found ways to drop the ball all season. Lo and behold, Gorges gets penalized and the Prunes score.

After that, the absence of Markov to facilitate a rapid-fire transition game and the DISGUSTING no-show of our so-called secondary scorers did us in. (God, could we have used Lang and Markov tonight! With those guys playing and that effort turned in, we win).

It was there to be had, but wasn't had. Can the Habs gather themselves for another effort? Can we catch the Bruins off-guard again, as we seemed to do this game? I dunno. We should all remember game 2 last year, when the Prunes lost but deserved to win. They didn`t roll over but took heart from the realization that they could match us shift for shift. I hope our players use this game arrive at the same realization.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Leave Chara wide open ?

Sure :puke:

As much as people are blaming Gorges, it was Kostopolo who left Chara too much space. It seems to me that lately Kosto has not been doing too much positive. He's trying to play with grit, but with the puck pretty useless. And gave Chara way too much room to shoot.

Well, I guess you are right.. I see no way we win. Less then 10% chance. Anything is possible, but I didn't see Montreal play any different then any other night. The 3rd period when we were tied, we were outshot. Our guys can't get shots on the net. We had entire lines that were in a fog. We took stupid penalties.

I hope I am wrong, but I just can't see how Gainey pulls this off. It is depressing for sure.

You thought that was the same effort they showed against Pit?

They controlled the game from the middle of the 2nd to the middle of the 3rd. Boston pushed back

and Gorges took a dumb penalty, after the go ahead goal is when the Bruins got the majority of their

shots. Maybe I am being biased, but that is what I saw.

It certainly wasn't your typical 8 against 1.

My thoughts on the game:

You can really notice Markov's absence. The transition was just not there. Hopefully he will be back for Saturday. The only player that really let us down this game was Pleks. He had a ton of turnovers, 2 bad penalties and overall poor play. Not only do we need him to score and set up plays, but if he's not going, Kostitsyn has no one to play with. It's a shame because 46 was looking good tonight, but he can't carry the whole line.

Koivu had a fantastic game, winning battles and creative offense. Loved him getting in Savard's face at the end.

The Gorges penalty was unfortunate, but that's hockey. The refs didn't seem to be giving us any breaks whereas Boston got a bunch. Laraque played well also, he did everything you could ask of him.

A big concern is that in a game against a team that has no problems taking dirty hits and runs at players, you need to protect guys like Koivu and Kovy. It makes sense that Laraque is on that line, but it really forces you to play combinations you really wouldn't wanna play. Laraque played well, be obviously he was the weak link in the top line. That's why a series against Washington would have suited us better. We wouldn't have to worry about protecting players and just focus on our gameplan.

Finally, Price played well tonight. The first goal was not his fault (it was poked from his glove, it was a BS goal and he had a right to be pissed). The second goal would have required a miracle save. The last goal was savable, but he was screened so you can't really fault him for that.

All in all, it was a good game that we were in right until the end. Satisfied with the way we played, just a shame we couldn't get a couple lucky bounces or more consistent reffing.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

It was there to be had, but wasn't had. Can the Habs gather themselves for another effort? Can we catch the Bruins off-guard again, as we seemed to do this game? I dunno. We should all remember game 2 last year, when the Prunes lost but deserved to win. They didn`t roll over but took heart from the realization that they could match us shift for shift. I hope our players use this game arrive at the same realization.

I think the Habs know they can win, and if they can get Markov it will give them a HUUUGE boost.

Thoughts on the game

1) BGL needs to drop the mits...and gtf off the first line..he's not helping it at all

2) Gainey needs to juggle lines..maybe put higgins with andrei and pleks and hope higgins game inspires the other 2

3) Gorges should sit and Weber goes in next game

4) Maybe Scratch Plex and put Stewart in for a physical presence

5) We will NOT win this series unless we capitalize on PP advantages...thus meaning that we have to play harder next game to get those chances

:puke: :puke: Ok first game...but not enough tenacity

Not enough tenacity from Pleks and Kostitsyn mainly. Everyone else more or less delivered, I thought. Unfortunately those guys HAVE to do better.

We played well. Anyone who thinks otherwise wasn`t watching the same game as me. It`s well to remember that this is a ROAD game in the playoffs. You`re not going to dominate. The point is to compete and match them shift for shift, and push them when you can, which we did.

The fundamental problems were the lack of secondary scoring and the lack of really good transition game. Lang and Markov are our two best contributors on each front respectively. That`s what`s so damned frustrating about these injuries: they knock out two key pillars of our lineup.

I expected Brisebois to do better. He was so good last season in the playoffs. I`d give him one more game, then try Weber if the results aren`t there.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

I think the Habs know they can win, and if they can get Markov it will give them a HUUUGE boost.

This is true, but it's what makes tonight's loss so frustrating. We were tied in the third period, outplaying Boston, in their rink, without Markov! That one was ours and they let it get away. Imagine had they won! It would have changed everything. But now that it's over, it doesn't matter if we lost 10-0 or if we lost outplaying them, it's still 1-0 after 1 and we've got a mountain to climb.

I hate the Boston carebears. I hate Zdeno "Frankensteins monster" Chara. I hate Milan "Its a soccer town and a swedish soccer player" Lucic.

Another free day ruined by staying up all night getting dissapointed. /CRY

I agree with all of them, especially the last one.. but strangely enough I'm optimistic that the Habs will run this to 6-7 and pull out a win. I mean they have Koivu taking on Chara and getting the job done--that's leadership. Thomas had a horseshoe up his ass and our 2nd line was doing their Houdini act again and we came within a bounce or two of winning.

If anyone thinks I'm being overly optimistic uh, isnt that what fans do ? Live and die with their team and never give up hope? I'm thinking that there are two widely variant types of Habs fan: one, is intensely critical and is only happy when the Habs are dominant and playing a near perfect game-- and since that has not really happened with regularity since the 1970's this group tends to be an unhappy lot. The other group is optimistic, wants the team to put in a heart and soul effort every night but realizes that this wont happen and is happy when the team wins no matter what the circumstances.

Am I happy? No, I'm pissed they lost, but they proved that they can put themselves in a position to win despite some serious disadvantages. With a stronger contributon from Pleks and goals from AKOst and we can win. To illustrate my point: take Chara away from the Bruins and damage one of their significant PP Dman and see what happends.

Edited by PMAC

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Why are you cheering that? What is there to cheer about in a 'Habs- lost- we- suck- may- as- well -forfeit- the -series post that doesnt even consider the many positive things the team can build on going forward?

Edited by PMAC

You thought that was the same effort they showed against Pit?

They controlled the game from the middle of the 2nd to the middle of the 3rd. Boston pushed back

and Gorges took a dumb penalty, after the go ahead goal is when the Bruins got the majority of their

shots. Maybe I am being biased, but that is what I saw.

It certainly wasn't your typical 8 against 1.

well, the effort was there and it was not one of their terrible effort games by any means. I mean that it was a typical "solid effort" game we play against good teams and typically come up short. I agree with Cherry, the Bruins did not bring their A game, we did, and they still won.

I bet Boston comes out flying on Sat. and just get better. Now if we had won tonight.. maybe they keep playing tight.

PJ is an idiot (side note).