Pacioretty

Neech

We should give Pacioretty more than 2 games before we decide he's better off in Hamilton. We honestly don't have a better top 6 option at this point. If and when he gets going we might be able to get the same kind of production and excitement we got from Sergei a two seasons ago.

We should give Pacioretty more than 2 games before we decide he's better off in Hamilton. We honestly don't have a better top 6 option at this point. If and when he gets going we might be able to get the same kind of production and excitement we got from Sergei a two seasons ago.

Agreed. Pacioretty deserves more than just 2 games on the top line!

I wonder how if he'd fare better on a line with lapierre and moen and move latendresse to the top 6. I'd hate to break up the chemistry Lats and Laps seem to have, but maybe Gui is ready to take that jump in his game.

I wonder how if he'd fare better on a line with lapierre and moen and move latendresse to the top 6. I'd hate to break up the chemistry Lats and Laps seem to have, but maybe Gui is ready to take that jump in his game.

I say try Max Pac for at least 10 games on the top line. If things dont work out, send him with Lapierre and moen and Move Gui to the top line for 10 games!

None of these guys is ready to play on the first line, but someone has to. I wouldn't break up Gui and Laps if they have good chemistry.

To compare apples with apples and Pacioretty with Higgins,

He is FAR FAR FAR less ready than when Higgins played his 2 games (2003-2004) and then was sent back down for the rest of the season + the lockout.

I was at Higgins' first NHL game and Higgins was more advanced, yet they sent him back and he benefitted from two AHL seasons (inc. lockout). when he came back up again, he got 38 pts in 80 games, playing mostly with Ryder and Koivu I believe (i.e. 1st line)

I'm not saying "he's crap" or "he's hopeless"... but I would prefer to see him play 25 minutes in Hamilton and try to dominate... than get crushed by Chara during his "poor" 6 minutes of icetime at NHL level.

Yeah, this early in the season, I think you have to give people at least 10 games to get something going.

Especially since the everything is a work in progress. You can't expect a kid to learn a new system, build chemistry with new linemates and learn more of the NHL game in the span of 2 games.

Well it's been more than 2 games if you consider that Pax is playing the same way he did in preseason. He looked better last year than he does now. I'm thinking it might just be the new system he has trouble assimilating. He looks very green: lost, not sure where to go on the ice, rushes his decisions, etc.

Dont forget, the kid's still young and only has 1 season in the pros. I would give him maybe a couple of games more to see if he calms down but he's getting closer and closer to deserve a demotion in my books. Not necessarily a demotion to AHL, but perhaps to the 4th line in place of Stewart, just to remember that he needs to play a tough, physical brand of hockey. If Maxwell does well in Hamilton, I could see him get called up to try to help out the 2nd line get going.

As for Lats, he had his chance in preseason and didnt really proved he belonged on the top 2 lines, and hasnt generated any real offense from the 3rd line yet. So he needs to show something before getting another shot at a top 6 role.

I was mulling over possible line stuff the other day knowing there really isn't a pure replacement for Pacioretty - the good wingers in Hamilton are veterans and they have more injuries than we do already. Provided he's healthy, why not move Metropolit up to the 2nd line wing in the short term? Chipchura's ready to go and can center the 4th line. Metropolit looked comfortable on the 2nd PP unit vs Toronto and would allow Pacioretty to go down and play some serious minutes in Hamilton (and save some cap space in the process).

If you think about it, he was a 2nd/3rd liner in Hamilton last year and the Habs are asking him to be more than that at a higher level - he's not accustomed to it. It's not his fault and he's trying out there, but I think he needs to take a step back for a bit. His head sounds like it's screwed on right so there shouldn't be any moaning/unfounded trade demands like a certain Kostitsyn last week.

It's certainly not a long-term solution, but one that could work for a few weeks (a month maybe) and allow Pacioretty to get some confidence - then bring him back and see if he's closer to being ready to contribute at the NHL level.

I was mulling over possible line stuff the other day knowing there really isn't a pure replacement for Pacioretty - the good wingers in Hamilton are veterans and they have more injuries than we do already. Provided he's healthy, why not move Metropolit up to the 2nd line wing in the short term? Chipchura's ready to go and can center the 4th line. Metropolit looked comfortable on the 2nd PP unit vs Toronto and would allow Pacioretty to go down and play some serious minutes in Hamilton (and save some cap space in the process).

Metro looked good when he was centering big guys. I'm not sure having him on the wing would work as well.

Moen played well enough in the first two games to justify a promotion, he'd certainly open up space for Plex and AKost, which Pax can't do right now. Reinsert Dago on the right of Lats & Laps and have Stewart-Chips-Laraque on the 4th.

Well it's been more than 2 games if you consider that Pax is playing the same way he did in preseason. He looked better last year than he does now. I'm thinking it might just be the new system he has trouble assimilating. He looks very green: lost, not sure where to go on the ice, rushes his decisions, etc.

Dont forget, the kid's still young and only has 1 season in the pros. I would give him maybe a couple of games more to see if he calms down but he's getting closer and closer to deserve a demotion in my books. Not necessarily a demotion to AHL, but perhaps to the 4th line in place of Stewart, just to remember that he needs to play a tough, physical brand of hockey. If Maxwell does well in Hamilton, I could see him get called up to try to help out the 2nd line get going.

As for Lats, he had his chance in preseason and didnt really proved he belonged on the top 2 lines, and hasnt generated any real offense from the 3rd line yet. So he needs to show something before getting another shot at a top 6 role.

Martin is hot on duos.

I'd still try A.Kost and Lats together.

Lats gets it in the corner, does a nice pass in the crease to AKost.

Lats screen the goalie while A.Kost receive a pass from "X" and shoots it in.

Actually, I've said it : ANY 2nd line would be hot with our current quality of Wingers IF IF IF IF IF we had a better center.

IMO, it all starts at center.

Plekanec is adequate. He is giving it all in. But his limited talent makes it so that he cannot carry the line. He can however follow a guy like Kovalev.

We don't have that.

We need a center who can carry his wingers... and with that center, my bet is EVEN Matt frikkin D'Agostini will look good with his soft mustache.

Plekanec is adequate. He is giving it all in. But his limited talent makes it so that he cannot carry the line. He can however follow a guy like Kovalev.

We don't have that

Bleah.

Plekanec is ALONE on the 2nd line. Alone on the forecheck, alone on the backcheck, alone passing, alone shooting. Nobody could carry AKost and MaxPac right now, not even Crosby. As soon as Plex find himself on the PP with Gionta, things starts happening instantly.

Lats and Kost seems to make something happen everytime they're together. Happened in preseason when Laps was C and the other night when Gomez was C.

I am one of those who believe that a player (let's say Max Pac or Guillaume) has to play top 2 lines minutes to develop top 2 lines skills. I don't think Guillaume will improve that much playing on the 3rd with Laps and Moen for 25 games before "earning a spot/showing something" and get another shot on the top 2 lines.

Put Cammalleri back on line 2 and maybe try Kostitsyn with Gomez-Gio if we're hell bent on shifting the top lines to bump Max Pac off. Then either try the Metropolit suggestion (if he's healthy) or maybe D'Agostini on the RW.

No matter what combo you put together you're not getting what you desire out of one or two (with Kosty not up to par) of the top 6 positions.

Metropolit isn't a horrid suggestion. He did centre Boston's second line a couple years back after Bergeron went down and Krejci wasn't quite ready for the job, and they held water enough to finish 8th. He gave enough defensive responsibility with occasional offence to generally settle the lines out a bit. I think he was voted the Bruins' unsung hero or something along those lines for his unexpected contributions given the circumstances.

Yes and no, Lats has more experience and should maybe get some time there. Pacioretty should switch spots, learn the game for a year, no big expectations, he is very young, the 2 players from college who were first rounders are still in the AHL, Potter and i forgot he other guy but they both are down on the farm and they are 2 years older then Pacioretty.

He needs 10-15 minutes a night playing a simple, physical game, he has been put on more lines in his limited games then almost anyone else. Just put him somewhere, give him a role, expand his role next year.

I am not sure I completely agree with Kozed on Pleks carrying the line, yes he has been hustling, winning faceoffs doing what he can. His wingers do indeed suck currently, AK46 is simply out to lunch, maybe put Lats there, D'Agi and AK46, i don't know what the answer is but the have 4 forwards who understand the offensive game right now. The big 3 and Moen. I don't think anyone else looks dangerous out there.

We have a quiet crisis unfolding on the wings. With the loss of Higgins and the de facto disappearance of both Kostitsyns, this team has overnight gone from having seeming surplus talent on the wings to having only two top-6 wingers. This thread is a symptom of this underlying problem.

IF Kosty pulls his head out of his ass the situation improves considerably. But I wouldn't count on that.

Interesting to see how Bob will address this problem. But a problem it is, and it (incidentally) could cost us Pleks, who presumably will go elsewhere rather than renew with a team that's not giving him any wingers to work with.

I think Lats is the top 6 guy. He has never been given an honest shot. I know he has chemistry with Lapierre, but he is the one that should move up. He has great hands, and everytime he was asked to move up, he scored goals and put up points. Moen and Lapierre look good together. Let them play with Chipchura on the third. Max can play with Metro and BGL, and move Lats up to play on one of the top two.

Gio Gomer Lats

AK Plek Cammy

Moen Lapierre Chipchura

BGL Metro Max

Speaking of BGL, I have liked the way he is playing so far. This is what we are paying for.

Also I can't fathom the Plek hating right now. He has two points playing with tweedle dumb and tweedle dumber. He looks awesome. Better than Gomez has in the first two games. Face offs, speed, hands, grit, everything is improved. He traded his pink thong for asbestos underwear and it's paying off.

Edited by BCHabnut

I don't think there's any need to panic right now, like I said, Max Pac hasn't done much in his first 2 games... let's give him another 7-8 games to see what he can do, and then make a decision. There's no use in trying all kinds of line combinations right now...if you keep switching things around, guys won't have time to adapt to one another! They won't be able to create some chemistry between linemates!

Edited by Habsfan

No panic but,

Paccioretti has not score a goal even in preseason this year.

In two games he has no shot on goal yet.Same for D'Agostini.

1 shot on goal from Andrei Kostitsyn.

This is 1 shot on goal for three players in 75 minutes on ice.

After a tasteless camp from them,to 5 NHL games with no production even lasyness

these players are NOT what the team needs to win it's share of games in a Markov less season.

Solutions ? Ship Sergei K anywhere, get this out of Andrei head, there not the Sedin's they can

be separated. And tell them to shoot the net.

The boat is not sinking.

We're 2-0.

Relax! Lots of superstars have done nothing so far... let alone the rest of the league.

Yeah, I think Datsyuk, with his 4 shots on goal in 2 games, is NOT what the Wings need to win their share of games. :P

Bleah.

Plekanec is ALONE on the 2nd line. Alone on the forecheck, alone on the backcheck, alone passing, alone shooting. Nobody could carry AKost and MaxPac right now, not even Crosby. As soon as Plex find himself on the PP with Gionta, things starts happening instantly.

Lats and Kost seems to make something happen everytime they're together. Happened in preseason when Laps was C and the other night when Gomez was C.

for a long while, Patrick Marleau was alone on the 2nd line. ;)

that's what I mean.