Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Ryan Smyth would be grossly over-paid at $5M. He's a consistent 60 point guy and over-rated leader. Woop-de-doo. Let some other team take him. There's a reason Edmonton was mired in mediocrity for years... Pronger was the boy who led them to the Finals, not Smyth.

Ryan Smyth would be grossly over-paid at $5M. He's a consistent 60 point guy and over-rated leader. Woop-de-doo. Let some other team take him. There's a reason Edmonton was mired in mediocrity for years... Pronger was the boy who led them to the Finals, not Smyth.

Totally disagree with your oiler obervations. Smyth is one of those players that constantly drives the net and gets under other teams defenceman's skin. He does not pussy foot around the net like most of the Habs smurfs. Having an OVERPAID Smyth might just be the answer to Montreals weak play at driving the net. Where I totally agree is the overpaid part as he will get some BIG$$$$.

This gets to an interesting point about the NHL right now - despite the cap, we're back in a situation where pretty much everyone who becomes a UFA is overpaid: Smyth, Hartnell, Markov, Koivu, Kubina, Souray almost certainly, the list goes on and on. It's getting to the point that talking about 'overpaying' doesn't make sense, it's par for the course.

As long as a player will be a bona fide part of your core for years to come, I guess it's worth overpaying. C.f. markov.

But Smyth worries me, I can't see his body holding out for the duration of a long-term contract. My fear is you end up with a Mike Peca-type signing. Hartnell, now THERE was a player that was worth overpaying.

Hartnell, now THERE was a player that was worth overpaying.

Yeah, let's pay 4.3 million for 40-45 points a year. :rolleyes:

Latest Ecklund rumor has Higgins in the Marleau deal. I almost always hope he's wrong about stuff, this time I really, really, really hope he's way off base.

Latest Ecklund rumor has Higgins in the Marleau deal. I almost always hope he's wrong about stuff, this time I really, really, really hope he's way off base.

agreed 100%. Especially after Higgins and Komisarek signed the quasi package deal.

Higgins isn't going anywhere. He may be the future captain. He is when healthy probably better then Marleua.

Please Remember Ek is 0% when talking about rumors with the Habs. BG never let's anything out.

Just read on HFBoards That Enrico Ciccone said during '110%' that François Allaire could be coaching another team next season. He added that Giguere could join that same team. Anyone have some more on this?

Thanks

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=211460&hubname=nhl

This might be good for the Canadiens - Lang is not a bad fallback option if Gainey can't get a better centre. Besides, maybe Kovalev would shut up and play well with his old linemate.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind Lang. He wouldn't be my first choice, but if all else fails and he's willing to serve as a temporary stopgap, I'm all for it.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=211462&hubname=nhl

GAAAGGGHHHH! There goes the Shanny option :angry:

Disappointing, but not entirely shocking. However, we can still pray that Sather doesn't want him back. :P

Lang? Didn't he have like 60 points or something last year? I would take Pleks over Lang any day. Pleks had 48 points, and had to play with Kovalev for half the year.

May i remind everyone that the Pleks Hiigins Kosty line was the only one that showed up down the stretch.

What is everyone's obsession with getting old washed up soft players? This team is NOT 1 player away from making the playoffs.

BG took a gamble and probably lost with Souray. He did get a #1 for Rivet. SOuray will most likely walk which is fine. You can't keep over paying players. BG falsely assumed his team may decide to show up down the stretch and Souray would help in the playoffs didn't happen.

You win some and you lose some, name any GM (Burke excluded) who doesn't make misteakes. It happens.

If Gainey moves Higgins for anyone short of Crosby, Lecavalier or Ovechkin he better be a damn fast runner. :angry:

I agree. Higgins should be untradeable. Id rather send one of our goalie prospects (Halak or Danis, NOT PRICE!).

No way would I trade Higgins, not even for Marleau. BTW Ek is now saying the Habs may trade with Washington today which will set-up a larger trade tomorrow.