Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

It baffles me that people still don't consider us a potential contender after last season. Why can't we be? Maybe not on paper, but has no one figured out guessing based on names means absolutely nothing?

Anyways, for the record, Hemsky is 27. He would be an upgrade on Kostistyn overall, but not in the goal-scoring category. He's tied with AK at 13, and has never cracked more than 23, and has only reached 20+ in one other season of his 7 season career.

Edited by ForumGhost

It baffles me that people still don't consider us a potential contender after last season. Why can't we be? Maybe not on paper, but has no one figured out guessing based on names means absolutely nothing?

Anyways, for the record, Hemsky is 27. He would be an upgrade on Kostistyn overall, but not in the goal-scoring category. He's tied with AK at 13, and has never cracked more than 23, and has only reached 20+ in one other season of his 7 season career.

Hemsky still has about 100 more pts than Plekanec, our best forward. And Hemsky is younger than Plekanec and has missed many games with injuries. I know Plekanec was a late bloomer, but still.

Hemsky still has about 100 more pts than Plekanec, our best forward. And Hemsky is younger than Plekanec and has missed many games with injuries. I know Plekanec was a late bloomer, but still.

Hemsky was highly touted and though to have the potential to be a top ten league leader (at least that was how he was marketed by the oilers). However he has lacked consistency and has a long history of injuries. Do we really need another injury player who makes up our core???

Pleks may be a late bloomer, but even before he started putting up the numbers, he was never a guy you could say lacked in putting in a solid effort. You can't say the same about Hemsksy.

Lastly, we have a lot of setup guys, we need a finisher. Hemsky doesn't fit that need. If we could dump Gomez plus for Hemsky, i'd be all over that, otherwise, if we are going to go for a forward, we need a finisher - preferably a big guy who can create some mayhem in front of the oppositions goalie.

Hemsky was highly touted and though to have the potential to be a top ten league leader (at least that was how he was marketed by the oilers). However he has lacked consistency and has a long history of injuries. Do we really need another injury player who makes up our core???

Pleks may be a late bloomer, but even before he started putting up the numbers, he was never a guy you could say lacked in putting in a solid effort. You can't say the same about Hemsksy.

Lastly, we have a lot of setup guys, we need a finisher. Hemsky doesn't fit that need. If we could dump Gomez plus for Hemsky, i'd be all over that, otherwise, if we are going to go for a forward, we need a finisher - preferably a big guy who can create some mayhem in front of the oppositions goalie.

Well, I'm not a Hemsky fanatic or anything, but it seems as though he would be a damned nice acquisition if he could be had at something other than a crippling price. Injuries are certainly a concern, but Hemsky is a PPG player. We must be a pretty good team if we can dismiss a PPG player as redundant! While he may not be a finisher, his career goal-scoring numbers are still as good or better than Kostityn's, while his overall hockey smarts must be light years ahead of the Boy from Belarus, whose lack of imagination and ability to read the play are an albatross that drags down his talent. (I'm increasingly of the view that Kosty is basically Sylvain Turgeon on steroids). Assuming Kosty ends up moved out to make room for Hemsky, that'd be a significant upgrade. If we keep Kosty *and* Hemsky, then it helps even more. In any case, we do have Gionta and Cammy - both 'finishers' - as well as the emerging MaxPac, who fits precisely the profile you describe of a big body who can score.

You're right that we could use more players like that. But Hemsky's name has probably come up because other teams aren't exactly dangling Milan Lucics or Bobby Ryans at us. If somehow Hemsky is in play, I don't think we should pooh-pooh him because he's not John LeClair.

In any case - it's a long shot. Fun to think about, though.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Well, I'm not a Hemsky fanatic or anything, but it seems as though he would be a damned nice acquisition if he could be had at something other than a crippling price. Injuries are certainly a concern, but Hemsky is a PPG player. We must be a pretty good team if we can dismiss a PPG player as redundant! While he may not be a finisher, his career goal-scoring numbers are still as good or better than Kostityn's, while his overall hockey smarts must be light years ahead of the Boy from Belarus, whose lack of imagination and ability to read the play are an albatross that drags down his talent. (I'm increasingly of the view that Kosty is basically Sylvain Turgeon on steroids). Assuming Kosty ends up moved out to make room for Hemsky, that'd be a significant upgrade. If we keep Kosty *and* Hemsky, then it helps even more. In any case, we do have Gionta and Cammy - both 'finishers' - as well as the emerging MaxPac, who fits precisely the profile you describe of a big body who can score.

You're right that we could use more players like that. But Hemsky's name has probably come up because other teams aren't exactly dangling Milan Lucics or Bobby Ryans at us. If somehow Hemsky is in play, I don't think we should pooh-pooh him because he's not John LeClair.

In any case - it's a long shot. Fun to think about, though.

I'm not saying I wouldn't want him either, but we need to move then just AK46's cap room to get him and I just don't see how we can afford a $4.2m cap hit AND resign Marko, Wiz, Gorges and another dman. This year we have extra room due to the LTIR from Markov and Gorges, that isn't going to exist next year.

I'd rather see what Desharnais can do - I felt he should have been given a shot much earlier and IMO if Gomez can be dumped, i'd like to give him a shot at the #2 centre position while some of our prospects develop.

If Edmonton was interested, I'd dump Gomez for Hemsky faster then you can say $7.2M, and i've also held the belief for a LONG time now that Edmonton MAY be one of the few times that we can actually dump Gomez's salary on since they need a centre to play with their young stud wingers they have, as well as the difficulty they have signing free agents. To me a deal like Hemsky+Souray for Gomez+Ak46 would be a viable option (assuming we leave Souray in the minors). I'm not really ready to give up on Ak46 yet - I think he is a guy who WILL flourish outside of Montreal and I consider him light years ahead of Pierre's big sister Sylvie Turgeon.

Long term though, I really think this team needs more finishers. Gionta's a shooter, but looking at his career shooting percentage stats, I'd hardly call him a finisher. Cammy obviously is one (albiet a snake-bitten one this year) and MaxPacs looks to be a guy who MAY be one, but we need to have a longer look at him. We have got a lot of shots this year, but really, the lack of finish has made a lot of goalie's look better then they are. We also need someone with a heck of a lot more skill then Darche to be the guy selected to screen on the PP.

I'm not saying I wouldn't want him either, but we need to move then just AK46's cap room to get him and I just don't see how we can afford a $4.2m cap hit AND resign Marko, Wiz, Gorges and another dman. This year we have extra room due to the LTIR from Markov and Gorges, that isn't going to exist next year.

I'd rather see what Desharnais can do - I felt he should have been given a shot much earlier and IMO if Gomez can be dumped, i'd like to give him a shot at the #2 centre position while some of our prospects develop.

If Edmonton was interested, I'd dump Gomez for Hemsky faster then you can say $7.2M, and i've also held the belief for a LONG time now that Edmonton MAY be one of the few times that we can actually dump Gomez's salary on since they need a centre to play with their young stud wingers they have, as well as the difficulty they have signing free agents. To me a deal like Hemsky+Souray for Gomez+Ak46 would be a viable option (assuming we leave Souray in the minors). I'm not really ready to give up on Ak46 yet - I think he is a guy who WILL flourish outside of Montreal and I consider him light years ahead of Pierre's big sister Sylvie Turgeon.

Long term though, I really think this team needs more finishers. Gionta's a shooter, but looking at his career shooting percentage stats, I'd hardly call him a finisher. Cammy obviously is one (albiet a snake-bitten one this year) and MaxPacs looks to be a guy who MAY be one, but we need to have a longer look at him. We have got a lot of shots this year, but really, the lack of finish has made a lot of goalie's look better then they are. We also need someone with a heck of a lot more skill then Darche to be the guy selected to screen on the PP.

I've given up on AK ever being more than he is. Of course, what he is isn't exactly terrible. But Hemsky = giant upgrade.

Gomez for Hemsky is a no brainer. If only! :rolleyes: And in fairness, Gomer really could flourish in freewheeling Edmonton. We'd have to sweeten the deal with picks and whatnot, but it's something worth investigating.

I thought Mara was a lousy pickup as it was. Seeing the price that was required for Brewer, I can't believe PG wouldn't have tried to pick him up from the Blues rather then get a guy who was pretty useless when he was a healthy here last year and was pretty much a healthy scratch on the ducks.

I thought Mara was a lousy pickup as it was. Seeing the price that was required for Brewer, I can't believe PG wouldn't have tried to pick him up from the Blues rather then get a guy who was pretty useless when he was a healthy here last year and was pretty much a healthy scratch on the ducks.

Beukeboom's a decent prospect, a 3rd is a 3rd, Brewer had a NTC and was only willing to waive it for a couple teams, and the Habs, with or without Mara, didn't have the cap space to pick him up outright. That, coupled with the fact Brewer is a shadow of the player he once was, and it makes an awful lot of sense.

Beukeboom's a decent prospect, a 3rd is a 3rd, Brewer had a NTC and was only willing to waive it for a couple teams, and the Habs, with or without Mara, didn't have the cap space to pick him up outright. That, coupled with the fact Brewer is a shadow of the player he once was, and it makes an awful lot of sense.

I don't know, I guess if he wasn't willing to come to Montreal, not much you can do about that. This is not the same Brewer as the one who was on Team Canada, but, he still would probably be #3 or no worse then #4 here, given our injuries to Markov/Gorges. I know most people here have been hoping the habs add more offensive help, but I really think we need to add a Dman. GIven the injuries ad the number of UFA's we have on Dman and that Spacek is among the 3 dman we have signed for next year, I'd rather have the habs to pick up some help on defense. Ideally, I'd like the habs to pick up a young dman signed for a couple of years, but failing that I'd rather have a guy like Brewer over Mara.

Can't say I know much about Beukaboom, but heck, is he really better then some of the guys we have in Hamilton??? I thought the whole point of the deal of Laps to Anaheim was to get us some defensive depth. Yet we call up Nash and then trade for Mara when we have more injuries???

Beukeboom was just drafted, I don't think he's AHL age yet. Yes, Brewer would have probably been a #4 guy but knowing you don't have the cap space, are you going to send out another roster player (to make the space) plus a prospect, plus a draft pick for a player to help your 2nd pairing? As I said with Hemsky, if this was the 'put the team over the top move,' perhaps but this team isn't a player away. I'm also pretty sure the Mara deal was a short-term stopgap to give the team another NHL body since Nash wasn't ready while also allocating most of their remaining cap space to try and bring in another forward.

dlbalr posted a really interesting list of forwards on the front page.

I'd prefer if they acquired somebody that is under contract for next season because I don't think the Canadiens are in a position to pay too much for a rental. I don't think Gauthier will want a player signed through next season though, because we need to have money free to deal with our D.

Apparently (and I stress this, it's from another forum), Bob "Big Head" McKenzie (boy, I miss Air Farce...) was on the Team 990 in Montreal this morning and said the Habs were considering claiming Souray, who is on re-entry waivers for one more hour. The cap hit would be $2.7 million, pro-rated this year obviously. One would think that if they did so, a guy like Picard would immediately be on the move to keep at least a smidgen of cap space available for a forward.

Sounding like Souray cleared so the Habs thought better of it evidently. Can't say I blame them.

I have to say that they're better off without him. He brings a lot to the table, but when I think back to his stint with the team, there are as many negatives as positives. His attitude in EDM just adds to those negatives.

I disagree about Sourays attitude, his play aside, his attitude was what the habs have been missing. He was a player who would rough up the opposing teams players for running the goalies, always stood up for his team mates. I'm not saying it's good or bad the habs passed on him, but his attitude would be great for this team.

Beukeboom plays for my hometown Soo Greyhounds. He has been sidelined with 4 separate concussions this season, definitely hindering any progress that he made from last season. Tampa got Brewer on the cheap.

Beukeboom plays for my hometown Soo Greyhounds. He has been sidelined with 4 separate concussions this season, definitely hindering any progress that he made from last season. Tampa got Brewer on the cheap.

Ouch, I was unaware of that. I knew he was a solid prospect, but 4 concussions aren't pretty. Thanks for the note on him.

Watching RDS this morning i almost strangled myself hearing them rambling on Rivet cak to CH.

Ruff sidelined him since jan 11 for a good reason, he stinks.

Only talk habs should have with Buffalo is Connelly. To replace Gomez on top 6 and confine him to a third line.

Pierre MacGuire said on Team 990 that Gauthier is trying to trade Kostitsyn to free up space for a replacement. I'm happy as long as we're getting a non-rental replacement.

You know who's latest:

I have now talked to three sources in the last few hours who are convinced Chris Phillips will not only waive his No Trade, he will do so to accept a trade to the neighboring Canadiens after which he will return to Ottawa this summer.

How much would you give up for a rental who you know you have no shot at re-signing, and knowing whatever return is directly going to help a division rival?

In what round? Or what are the multiple conditions? A conditional 3rd that becomes a 2nd in 2012 if the Habs re-sign him, something to that effect?

yeah, something like a conditional 5th that becomes 3rd if Habs make it to the 2nd round or if are able to re-sign him