Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

I can't see any reason it won't be a bridge deal with Galchenyuk, either way so long as he gets signed and is happy.

Sure dislike the growing skepticism, at least on this board, and the suggestions to trade him, like the delusional Malkin deals peeps dream of.

I say turn the kid loose from the MT reigns a bit, and we will start to see what he can really do.

He had a very good season in plenty of ways, a great kid, and I want to see him flourish as a Hab, not in another uniform.

Maybe get him some skill on his line would be the answer, at wing or center, makes no difference to me, instead of the cast of characters that can't bury that he has been playing with.

Jeezuz. :wall:

I can't see any reason it won't be a bridge deal with Galchenyuk, either way so long as he gets signed and is happy.

Sure dislike the growing skepticism, at least on this board, and the suggestions to trade him, like the delusional Malkin deals peeps dream of.

I say turn the kid loose from the MT reigns a bit, and we will start to see what he can really do.

He had a very good season in plenty of ways, a great kid, and I want to see him flourish as a Hab, not in another uniform.

Maybe get him some skill on his line would be the answer, at wing or center, makes no difference to me, instead of the cast of characters that can't bury that he has been playing with.

Jeezuz. :wall:

frankly, i;d like to try rolling the dice and try and sign him longer term for around the $4m range and try dumping some of our over priced (emelin, Prust) or simply bad contracts (PAP). After his bridge deal, Galchenyuk is going to command $6M+, even if he only becomes a 25-30 goal, 60 point player, which is what i think his lower ceiling is.

If we also move one of Eller, DD and Pleks, we still should have money for another scoring winger.

frankly, i;d like to try rolling the dice and try and sign him longer term for around the $4m range and try dumping some of our over priced (emelin, Prust) or simply bad contracts (PAP). After his bridge deal, Galchenyuk is going to command $6M+, even if he only becomes a 25-30 goal, 60 point player, which is what i think his lower ceiling is.

If it only took around $4 M on a long-term deal, you'd have to think it'd already be done by now... The bridge deal is going to start with a 3 (I ran the numbers in this thread), they'd gladly pay a million more (if not less than that) to get him signed for several more years.

If you want a 6 year deal for him, it's at least $5 M per, probably more. If you want the max 8 years, it starts with a 6.

If it only took around $4 M on a long-term deal, you'd have to think it'd already be done by now...

Pretty much. He knows he has higher value than Gallagher but lesser value than Johansen. Johansen accepted the bridge with Columbus for three years at $4M per season with $6M on the third year for a high qualifying offer. Galchenyuk will likely look to something similar. If we want him on a long term deal it'll be like the Edmonton kids, which were 5-7 year deals at $6M per season.

Has Galchenyuk shown anyone that he is worth over 6 mill per year for 8 years? I like the kid but he hasn't exactly blown anyone away. Now if you are positive that he is going to be the next Lafleur then go for it. But if he stagnates at 40 to 50 points per year? What then? How much do we pay and for how long do we pay for unrealized potential? I can see both sides to this argument, but MB is a cautious guy, and I think you will see a 2 year 3.5 million bridge deal. Show us what you got and earn the next contract. So far we are paying for potential, when do we get value for the contract?

Exact. Galchenyuk is not in Subban's position. Didn't "achieve" the same, didn't ye give the impression that he is future perennial all-star player.

The bridge is what he should look for. If he settles for a mid to long term with mid salary deal, I, for one, will doubt his confidence or willingness to be that top tier player.

Signing a bridge deal, in his case, means more like "I know I'm better than that and will prove it within the end of this bridge".

Exact. Galchenyuk is not in Subban's position. Didn't "achieve" the same, didn't ye give the impression that he is future perennial all-star player.

The bridge is what he should look for. If he settles for a mid to long term with mid salary deal, I, for one, will doubt his confidence or willingness to be that top tier player.

Signing a bridge deal, in his case, means more like "I know I'm better than that and will prove it within the end of this bridge".

Yeah, there is a case to be made for inspiring the kid to max his potential, probably the way to go with Chucky.

3rd hand rumour;

Bergevin has asked Plekanec and Emelin for list of teams they would waive NTC for (Hockey30 supposedly noted this).

(I assume they would want to avoid the whole, Gorges refusing to accept Leafs fool-up, but I still would think would be kept under tight wraps?)

3rd hand rumour;

Bergevin has asked Plekanec and Emelin for list of teams they would waive NTC for (Hockey30 supposedly noted this).

(I assume they would want to avoid the whole, Gorges refusing to accept Leafs fool-up, but I still would think would be kept under tight wraps?)

Plekanec has a modified (read: limited) NTC so them asking about which teams he'd accept a trade to is just ordinary at this time of the year. Many deals specify that an acceptable trade list is submitted by July 1st. Emelin having a full NTC means that tidbit could be interesting.

I keep on hearing rumblings out of Minny about a potential Mikko Koivu for Pleks and change...

Is Mikko Koivu, idk, good enough?

You look at his numbers from last year - at age 32, five years removed from his last 20-goal season, that's a bit concerning. If the Habs acquire him for Pleks, they had better be damned sure that they have an explanation for his lame-assed 48 points in 82 games and 4 points in 10 playoff games other than that he's just a player in decline. Otherwise, assuming no other added pieces, we will probably regret the deal.

I wouldn't trade him. If he goes to another team he will be a 3rd line centre and put up better numbers. Plekanec should be a 3rd line centre on our team and his numbers in the playoffs will go up.

Ufa

Galchenyuk

Plekanec

Dd

That's how our centre's should look like going into next year.

Plekanec leaving the team is a fantasy every summer. However, there's been no rumors about a new deal. Wouldn't they want to get something in place before the season? Bergevin's administration doesn't leak rumors, either.

Nothing can be signed extension-wise until July 1st. Right when free agency begins, there's usually an extension or two that gets officially announced.

So, who screwed up last year with Gorges to Leafs deal?

Did Bergevin assume Gorges would agree to become a Leaf and not check with him/agent before discussed/arranged deal with Nonis and was leaked/made public?

So, who screwed up last year with Gorges to Leafs deal?

Did Bergevin assume Gorges would agree to become a Leaf and not check with him/agent before discussed/arranged deal with Nonis and was leaked/made public?

What actually happened is somewhat common - you only go to the player for consent when the deal is agreed upon. If you can't agree on a deal, there's no need to tip off the player that you might be trading him, especially to a team not on his trade list. Most of the time though, if the player vetoes, it stays private.

I seem to remember at the time that Bergevin and Canadiens' management were furious that it had been leaked. It was speculated that someone from the Leafs leaked it in an effort to pressure Gorges to change his mind.

Saw where was said Bergevin had been interested before in; Lupol, Marleau, Cam Atkinson and Oshie (maybe one other player was mentioned?) .

Seems hard to believe any GM would risk taking on Glassboy Lupol, but when he actually does play he seems productive.

Doubt Atkinson would be popular pick-up to many, being such a small player, but a young 20+g RWer couldn't hurt.

However, a possibly DD for Atkinson deal would be swap of 5'8" $3.5m/yr guys.

dlbalr mentioned him.

He may fill a 3rd pairing role as a rookie, but unlikely to see Habs as a roster he can crack and get most ice time (or any), without a trade or two by Habs.

Reily played at world championship for USA and supposedly looked fine.

dlbalr mentioned him.

He may fill a 3rd pairing role as a rookie, but unlikely to see Habs as a roster he can crack and get most ice time (or any), without a trade or two by Habs.

Reily played at world championship for USA and supposedly looked fine.

I should tack on that he technically becomes a free agent tomorrow although he can't officially sign until July 1st. (He can, however, announce a deal in principle before then.)