Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

I wouldn't mind seeing Parros/Halpern swapping spots depending on the team needs. Parros only adds one dimension, and all-around Halpern is the better player, with great faceoffs to boot. If we could re-sign Halpern, I think it would be great for us.

I'm sure some would think Edler given their reported interest before. For the sake of guessing, I'll go another route - Chris Tanev. The Habs could stand to get another stay-at-home guy to take some of the heavy workload off of Gorges and he's only 23. Contract talks haven't gone too well so far so perhaps the Canucks would move him.

Van is one team that might not turn its nose up as Desharnais, especially if they thought he could do time as a winger. Their forward corps, frankly, is a real dog's breakfast of oft-injured and increasingly elderly high-end talent and a whole bunch of junk. Not saying a Tanev-for-Desharnais trade makes sense, but the "fit" factor is intriguing.

Guest Stogey24

I wouldn't mind seeing Parros/Halpern swapping spots depending on the team needs. Parros only adds one dimension, and all-around Halpern is the better player, with great faceoffs to boot. If we could re-sign Halpern, I think it would be great for us.

You gotta think Halpern would sign for at most a mill. Can't go wrong with that.

Van is one team that might not turn its nose up as Desharnais, especially if they thought he could do time as a winger. Their forward corps, frankly, is a real dog's breakfast of oft-injured and increasingly elderly high-end talent and a whole bunch of junk. Not saying a Tanev-for-Desharnais trade makes sense, but the "fit" factor is intriguing.

I would think Canucks might want a Moan, Plekanec, Gionta, or Bourque for Edler or Bieksa. Habs would be looking more for top 4 d-man and not another #5-6-7 d-man that Tanev is, got lots of those.

But Tanev for DD might be part of a good deal also.

I'm still hoping for a resolution of to-Morrow.

Where does he play?

Habs forwards who should play in the top 9 and are under contract (no particular order).... Plekanec, Gallagher, Bourque, Pacioretty, Desharnais, Briere, Eller, Galchenyuk, Gionta, Prust.

Thats 10 guys.... Prust is on the 4th line with everyone healthy, and on the thrid line if one guy is hurt. So where does Morrow fit?

Where does he play?

Habs forwards who should play in the top 9 and are under contract (no particular order).... Plekanec, Gallagher, Bourque, Pacioretty, Desharnais, Briere, Eller, Galchenyuk, Gionta, Prust.

Thats 10 guys.... Prust is on the 4th line with everyone healthy, and on the thrid line if one guy is hurt. So where does Morrow fit?

Ok, lolEklund reported twice since the draft that we are in talks with Vancouver for a defenceman. So let's take this and roll with it and make some assumptions.

Edler was on the block for Vancouver for awhile, and was only taken off because of Ballard being bought out. So we can assume safely that out of Vancouver's defensive core, we're not after Tanev(RFA) or Weber(we just let him go). That leaves Hamuis, Garrison, Edler and Bieksa. Since Edler was the one they were willing to part with prior to the draft, we'll assume it's Edler.

lolEklund's last report was defenceman to Montreal for a forward and a prospect.

I have a feeling thet Beaulieu is on the block, because of his assault charges. A player doesn't want to be in the spotlight in Montreal for issues outside of hockey. Lots of debate will flair up over this, but I believe if we are moving a top prospect, it will be Beaulieu because of the charges.

On to the roster player. We have 5 top-9 centers, Pleks, Briere, Desharnais, Galchenyuk, Eller. With the signing of Briere I felt there was room to move Pleks if needed but Desharnais would be preferred. Also Vancouver lost Roy and still would like a 3rd/2nd line center as Kesler's health is sketchy at best the last few seasons.

To Montreal:

Edler

To Vancouver:

Desharnais + Beaulieu + 1.5m in cap

This evens the caps hit for both teams, Montreal is still left with 3.3m in cap space. We offer Morrow 2.5m-3m per for 1-2 years. I don't think Vancouver will attemnt to get Pleks as he will probably be playing on the 3rd line when Kesler's healthy. Possible, but I doubt it.

This also leaves us with our lines looking something like:

Pacioretty - Pleks - Gionta

Galchenyuk - Briere - Gallagher

Bourque - Eller - Morrow

Prust - White - Parros

Ok, lolEklund reported twice since the draft that we are in talks with Vancouver for a defenceman. So let's take this and roll with it and make some assumptions.

Edler was on the block for Vancouver for awhile, and was only taken off because of Ballard being bought out. So we can assume safely that out of Vancouver's defensive core, we're not after Tanev(RFA) or Weber(we just let him go). That leaves Hamuis, Garrison, Edler and Bieksa. Since Edler was the one they were willing to part with prior to the draft, we'll assume it's Edler.

lolEklund's last report was defenceman to Montreal for a forward and a prospect.

I have a feeling thet Beaulieu is on the block, because of his assault charges. A player doesn't want to be in the spotlight in Montreal for issues outside of hockey. Lots of debate will flair up over this, but I believe if we are moving a top prospect, it will be Beaulieu because of the charges.

On to the roster player. We have 5 top-9 centers, Pleks, Briere, Desharnais, Galchenyuk, Eller. With the signing of Briere I felt there was room to move Pleks if needed but Desharnais would be preferred. Also Vancouver lost Roy and still would like a 3rd/2nd line center as Kesler's health is sketchy at best the last few seasons.

To Montreal:

Edler

To Vancouver:

Desharnais + Beaulieu + 1.5m in cap

This evens the caps hit for both teams, Montreal is still left with 3.3m in cap space. We offer Morrow 2.5m-3m per for 1-2 years. I don't think Vancouver will attemnt to get Pleks as he will probably be playing on the 3rd line when Kesler's healthy. Possible, but I doubt it.

This also leaves us with our lines looking something like:

Pacioretty - Pleks - Gionta

Galchenyuk - Briere - Gallagher

Bourque - Eller - Morrow

Prust - White - Parros

Interesting, thoughtful post.

Van would be foolish not to push for Pleks. Kesler is always hurt, and there is a valid case to be made that Pleks would make an ideal 3rd-line C on a contender. (This is NOT to claim that he is not a valid top-6 C - he is. It's just to say that he wouldn't be miscast in that other role either; that's the kind of complete player he is). That said, Montreal cannot afford to lose Plekanec, and if I'm Bergevin I keep him out of this hypothetical conversation.

I HATE, HATE, HATE the idea of trading a prospect because of non-hockey-related issues. However, Edler is good enough and still young enough that the proposed trade here makes a fair bit of sense for Montreal. What I have trouble seeing is why Vancouver - which wants to win now - would make a deal that deprives them of Edler while giving them only Desharnais back in terms of ready NHL talent. Then again, Van also needs a serious infusion of young talent. Beaulieu gives them that. I can see the proposal floundering on the fact that the Canuckleheads are trapped in a managerial limbo ("win now, but also rebuild for the future!") that would stop them from making a trade that is arguably in their long-term best interest.

I would imagine Plekanec would be the target of Vancouver as well, but if it's indeed a forward + prospect, Plekanec + Beaulieu is way too steep for Edler. Also if it's Plekanec, we wouldn't need the caps hit transferred as well because Edler is 5m per and Plekanec is 5m per. So even swap on cap hit. Beaulieu is also on the fringe of NHL ready, he could prove next season he is, so he's less of a future prospect and more of a prospect/possible roster player. He's better than Weber for sure.

If I were to have my way the trade would be for Bieska instead of Edler, but the rumors were pointing to Edler on the move.

I would imagine that its august and eklunds hits are down and he magically comes up with a rumor between the habs and the biggest fanbase in the western conference. Boom hits.

Agreed, but as scenarios go, this is one of the more plausible ones I've seen. That in no way makes it a credible rumour, it just makes it something at least sensible to talk about.

It would be foolish to ship out Pleks unless we have another legit top 6 center coming back. Eller still has to prove he can play at a high level consistently, Desharnais is too one-dimensional, Galchenyuk isn't ready and Briere is also one-dimensional and declining in his older age. No one can step in and replace Pleks as a 2-way, top 6 workhorse.

I know Cucumber said he thought Plek was a top six center but I see a lot of people say he isn't. What they really mean is he isn't a top 10 center. Plek's numbers are:

12-13: 33 points (22nd for all centers)

11-12: 52 points 28th for all centers, NHL.com lists Seguin as a center that season when he played wing)

10-11: 57 point s(24th for all centers)

09-10: 70 points (14th for all centers)

That is by every definition a top six center in point scoring. Especially when you consider how many team duplicates can appear on that list (Pittsburgh has Crosby/Malkin, LA has Kopitar, Richards and Carter, SJ has Couture/Thornton, etc.). In 09-10 there were only 13 centers better than him for scoring and they represented 11 teams.

So just saying that when it comes to Plek, he's a lot more valuable than some might consider at first glance. He's undeniably a top six center in this league and can easily be a first line center for the right team. Is that team a contender? Boston's best center last season was Krejci and he had the same amount of points as Plekanec (to be fair they have two centers who score like Plek).

It's interesting going to other team boards. Right now Blues fans want Plekanec bad. If Bergevin was to trade Plek to the Blues, I want a first line center haul coming back.

Guest Stogey24

Interesting, thoughtful post.

Van would be foolish not to push for Pleks. Kesler is always hurt, and there is a valid case to be made that Pleks would make an ideal 3rd-line C on a contender. (This is NOT to claim that he is not a valid top-6 C - he is. It's just to say that he wouldn't be miscast in that other role either; that's the kind of complete player he is). That said, Montreal cannot afford to lose Plekanec, and if I'm Bergevin I keep him out of this hypothetical conversation.

I HATE, HATE, HATE the idea of trading a prospect because of non-hockey-related issues. However, Edler is good enough and still young enough that the proposed trade here makes a fair bit of sense for Montreal. What I have trouble seeing is why Vancouver - which wants to win now - would make a deal that deprives them of Edler while giving them only Desharnais back in terms of ready NHL talent. Then again, Van also needs a serious infusion of young talent. Beaulieu gives them that. I can see the proposal floundering on the fact that the Canuckleheads are trapped in a managerial limbo ("win now, but also rebuild for the future!") that would stop them from making a trade that is arguably in their long-term best interest.

How does trading Desharnais and Beaulieu for Edler make sense? Edler hasn't even broke the 50 point mark. Desharnais has scored more points than Edler in the past two season and he is capable of first line minutes. Beaulieu is a well sized D-man who will probably be a roster player for Montreal this year. Edler does bring size, but he he is more of a play maker than a scoring threat. With Bealieu, subban, and markov on the back end we're looking very dangerous.

I'm not sure why everyone is so ready to toss away Beaulieu. He's projected to be a very complete defenseman, size, speed and great offensive instinct. He's a keeper.

My 'don't touch' list:

- Price

- Subban

- Pacioretty

- Galchenyuk

- Tinordi

- Beaulieu

- Gallagher (although a sideways move to help alleviate size issues for the team could work)

In my book, these are the guys you want to build your team around. Obviously Tinordi and Beaulieu are unproven at this point and it;s possible they may not live up to expectations, but at this point there's no reason to doubt they won't be top-4 guys based on what we've seen.

Also, this idea of trading Beaulieu away because of an assault charge in ridiculous. The guy can play hockey. You know who else was charged with assault? Patrick Kane, AKA that guys who just won the Conn Smythe.

How does trading Desharnais and Beaulieu for Edler make sense? Edler hasn't even broke the 50 point mark. Desharnais has scored more points than Edler in the past two season and he is capable of first line minutes. Beaulieu is a well sized D-man who will probably be a roster player for Montreal this year. Edler does bring size, but he he is more of a play maker than a scoring threat. With Bealieu, subban, and markov on the back end we're looking very dangerous.

Your comparing a forward's point production to a defenceman's point production when assessing value? Think about that.

We are stocked at center, Vancouver is hurting at center. They are willing to part with a defenceman, we are in need of a defenceman. This is a team that when Emelin went down, the defence imploded. I see nothing wrong with adding another top-4 defenceman, actually he's on the top pair in Vancouver and he is only 27. With the addition of Edler it gives Therrian more freedom to manage Markov's minutes so he doesn't run out fo gas like he didi last season.

Edler - Subban

Gorges - Markov

Emelin - Diaz

Roll 3 pairs even, unless one is struggling. Gorges give Markov more stability. Markov, Subban, Elder, Diaz for PP. Subban, Gorges, Emelin, Edler for PK, also cutting down on Markov's minutes. Plus you can mix and match any 5 of our 6 and still be trustworthy in our own zone. Until Emelin is healthy Tinordi can get his 9 games or less, then Boullion can fill in. While Beaulieu is projected to be good, we would have Edler could have edler in top form for at least 5 years. With all prospects there is no guarantee he will ever be a top-4 defenceman, at least this way we have another top-4.

P.S. Patrick Kane isn't playing in a city that everything revolves around hockey. Players with off ice problems have problems in cities with heavy media coverage of hockey.

Guest Stogey24

Your comparing a forward's point production to a defenceman's point production when assessing value? Think about that.

We are stocked at center, Vancouver is hurting at center. They are willing to part with a defenceman, we are in need of a defenceman. This is a team that when Emelin went down, the defence imploded. I see nothing wrong with adding another top-4 defenceman, actually he's on the top pair in Vancouver and he is only 27. With the addition of Edler it gives Therrian more freedom to manage Markov's minutes so he doesn't run out fo gas like he didi last season.

Edler - Subban

Gorges - Markov

Emelin - Diaz

Roll 3 pairs even, unless one is struggling. Gorges give Markov more stability. Markov, Subban, Elder, Diaz for PP. Subban, Gorges, Emelin, Edler for PK, also cutting down on Markov's minutes. Plus you can mix and match any 5 of our 6 and still be trustworthy in our own zone. Until Emelin is healthy Tinordi can get his 9 games or less, then Boullion can fill in. While Beaulieu is projected to be good, we would have Edler could have edler in top form for at least 5 years. With all prospects there is no guarantee he will ever be a top-4 defenceman, at least this way we have another top-4.

P.S. Patrick Kane isn't playing in a city that everything revolves around hockey. Players with off ice problems have problems in cities with heavy media coverage of hockey.

Comparing D-man to a forward in stats is nonsense, I dont really know why I threw that out there. I do feel like Desharnais is an asset and comimg off a mediocre season I don't feel like we'd get full value. Beaulieu is going to be star and is damn close to being NHL ready. I think its all a waiting game nnow for M.B. There are a few players in Hamilton that are close to being NHL ready. Let the young guys come up and see if they can hold down a roster spot. Then you start looking at your roster and who can be traded.

I just think that Edler is massively overrated. Watching Cancucks games I really do not see what he brings to the table. What he does bring is normally outweighed by a brain numing AWFUL play each game. And I don't just mean that pathetic fumble in Game 7 or the hack on Staal. Most the time he is on the ice nothing seems safe.

Didn't Edler just sign a 6-year extension? I have trouble believing Vancouver would move him right after signing him (ditto with Desharnais).

Not to mention he has a cap hit of 5 million, which is considerable. Subban needs to be resigned this season.

Edler is erratic. He goes through spells where he looks like a bona-fide top-2 defender (he's big, he's capable of laying on the body now and then, and he is reliably a 45+-point defenceman). Yet he also goes through extended spells where he looks like a confused rookie; to make matters worse, his playoffs have not been regarded as especially good. The debate in Vancouver is whether he's just taking a rather long time to put it all together (he turned 27 last spring, 6 year NHL vet) or whether what you see is what you get. The latter may prove to be the case, but then again it's this thread of doubt about him that makes him potential trade-bait in the first place. He could be one of these guys who would most fully realize his potential with another organization.

Guest Stogey24

Montreal should have went after Lappierre. Solid fourth line centre that would have came cheap and helped out our P.K a bit too. I would take Lappierre over White any day.

Montreal should have went after Lappierre. Solid fourth line centre that would have came cheap and helped out our P.K a bit too. I would take Lappierre over White any day.

Really? Max was 41% on PK faceofffs, White was 57% and better overall faceoff guy and if White stays healthy he should be fine 4th line centre.

White and Dumont were both fine on faceoffs in limited duty. And I would prefer to see both on roster before Max again.

Canucks didn't seem keen on resigning Max?

Habs already must have 9 guys for bottom six and Bournival, Leblanc or some other Bulldog will likely get injury call up and I would go with youth over goofball type.

LaPierre showed up to play only 1/2 the time and the other half he added nothing.

Guest Stogey24

Yeah, really. White played half the amount of games that Lappiere did. In the regular season Max was almost 51% on the draw and averaging over 2 hits a game(without the game costing penalties).Lappiere may not have the best track record, but knows his role and brings some added scoring deeper in the line up. I'm honestly surprised White was offered another contract.

Lol. Don, I just noticed your favourite player. Things are starting to make a lot.more sense now.

Yeah, really. White played half the amount of games that Lappiere did. In the regular season Max was almost 51% on the draw and averaging over 2 hits a game(without the game costing penalties).Lappiere may not have the best track record, but knows his role and brings some added scoring deeper in the line up. I'm honestly surprised White was offered another contract.

Lol. Don, I just noticed your favourite player. Things are starting to make a lot.more sense now.

Odd statement, considering he didn't know his role in Montreal and was traded because of it.