Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

i think recent history shows that Jagr and Morrow are in fact tradeable, very easily i might add.

I'm referring to where you said to trade DD, Moen and/or Gionta.

I'm wondering, if Morrow was French and Briere wasn't, who would we have gone after first in free agency?

Morrow would look great as a middle-six guy, but as has been mentioned it would probably necessitate moving a LW. And I don't know if we'd want to give him multiple years. Anyways, it doesn't look likely that we'll sign him.

I'm wondering, if Morrow was French and Briere wasn't, who would we have gone after first in free agency?

I'd still guess Briere. They were looking for a legit top six guy and Briere is more of that than Morrow at this stage. Morrow's a perfect 3rd liner but I'm not sure I'd trust him as a legit top six guy for a lengthy period of time. If injuries arise, he's a passable replacement but not over the long haul.

I'd still guess Briere. They were looking for a legit top six guy and Briere is more of that than Morrow at this stage. Morrow's a perfect 3rd liner but I'm not sure I'd trust him as a legit top six guy for a lengthy period of time. If injuries arise, he's a passable replacement but not over the long haul.

Does anyone know if MB is still interested in Morrow? Would likely have to make a trade to fit him but he could be a good character guy which Bergevin likes. My attempt at lines so far:

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Gallagher

Bourque - Plekanec - Gionta

Galchenyuk - Eller - Briere

Moen - White - Prust

x - Parros, Leblanc

Would love to see Morrow push Moen out of the starting lineup but it'll likely take $3M to sign Morrow which may be too much for a 4th line depth player. I don't know.

I'm more worried about defence:

Subban - Markov

Gorges - Diaz

Bouillon - Tinordi

x - Drewiske, Emelin (hurt)

Beaulieu could push Bouillon out of the starting lineup but I think the Habs need a more physical dman to offset the rest. Where's Hamrlik these days? LOL!

Does anyone know if MB is still interested in Morrow? Would likely have to make a trade to fit him but he could be a good character guy which Bergevin likes. My attempt at lines so far:

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Gallagher

Bourque - Plekanec - Gionta

Galchenyuk - Eller - Briere

Moen - White - Prust

x - Parros, Leblanc

Would love to see Morrow push Moen out of the starting lineup but it'll likely take $3M to sign Morrow which may be too much for a 4th line depth player. I don't know.

I'm more worried about defence:

Subban - Markov

Gorges - Diaz

Bouillon - Tinordi

x - Drewiske, Emelin (hurt)

Beaulieu could push Bouillon out of the starting lineup but I think the Habs need a more physical dman to offset the rest. Where's Hamrlik these days? LOL!

Beaulieu is actually probably the closest we have to a Hamrlik replacement (though I suppose Subban took that title and surpassed it). Everyone seems to hear "offensive defenseman" and think he isn't physical. Beaulieu is 6'2" and can throw and take a check. Subban, Emelin, Tinordi and Beaulieu will be a very physical back-end (assuming, of course, the two prospects continue to develop, and Emelin signs long term.)

Briere's ability as a top-6 guy is in question at this point, judging from his past two seasons. I hope he'll be healthy and motivated, but if he continues his current trend a declining Briere is not as valuable as a declining Morrow, because he doesn't have much use outside of his top-6 offensive game. Morrow fills the more obvious need for physicality up front, but Briere has the higher ceiling.

I really do think it's likely that a French Morrow would be management's target over an English Briere, and for some reasons I can get behind. Having a proven homegrown leader - a high profile former Quebec star - on the team at the very least shuts up a particular portion of the fanbase for the duration of his contact. And a player of such a stature is a better beacon for media attention than say, a young and inexperienced guy (i.e. Lapierre and Latendresse) or a marginal scrub (Begin or Bouillon). Perhaps this will give more leeway for guys like Price, Subban and Galchenyuk to mature, while also providing an important guy in the room who can help them learn how to deal with this particular cultural environment.

Guest Stogey24

Would have been nice to see Moen get traded for cap space and get Morrow squeezed into the roster. Moen was soft as butter last year. There is no way he will finish his contract out in Montreal. Why not try and dump him when there is an opportunity for an upgrade.

Would have been nice to see Moen get traded for cap space and get Morrow squeezed into the roster. Moen was soft as butter last year. There is no way he will finish his contract out in Montreal. Why not try and dump him when there is an opportunity for an upgrade.

Moen has been rock solid for Montreal every single season until last season. People are over-exaggerating how bad he was due to the fact he paled in comparison to Prust. But that's why Prust pushed him down into a fourth line winger role. He was still strong for us in the playoffs, which is why Moen gets paid what he does. Losing long term playoff performers for short term veteran support isn't really a good idea.

If he's as bad as some are making him out to be (and he's not that bad), there won't exactly be teams lining up to get him.

Moen has been rock solid for Montreal every single season until last season. People are over-exaggerating how bad he was due to the fact he paled in comparison to Prust. But that's why Prust pushed him down into a fourth line winger role. He was still strong for us in the playoffs, which is why Moen gets paid what he does. Losing long term playoff performers for short term veteran support isn't really a good idea.

Moen played 4th line minutes and was still 3rd amongst forwards in hits.... somehow that is soft as butter though.

He also fought 4 times in 45 games, plus 1 in 5 games in the postseason, for 5 in 50 games.

This is right on his career average of a fight every 10 games, (and what he was in Anaheim too).

I don't get the complaints that Moen went soft.... he really didn't change much, just played less minutes as our overall depth was better.

Good analysis, Commandant. Probably the issue with Moen is less his actual game than with paying almost $2 mil for a guy who has gone from seeming like a real key part of our bottom 6 to little more than an OK 4th liner. As is so often the case in the cap era, fans' assessment of player performance is heavily coloured by awareness of the contract.

Guest Stogey24

Moen played 4th line minutes and was still 3rd amongst forwards in hits.... somehow that is soft as butter though.

He also fought 4 times in 45 games, plus 1 in 5 games in the postseason, for 5 in 50 games.

This is right on his career average of a fight every 10 games, (and what he was in Anaheim too).

I don't get the complaints that Moen went soft.... he really didn't change much, just played less minutes as our overall depth was better.

lol third amongst forwards in hits. Yeah, that really says a lot. Moen gets ragged dolled in half of his fights and the other fights aren't even notable. 4 fights is nothing write home about. Lecavalier had 3 fights this year.. When you have fourth line minutes you should be on the ice fired up. He was not there this year.

3rd on the team in hits is pretty impressive when you consider he's playing so many less minutes than the other forwards. I don't see what there is to laugh about there.

And which fights did he get ragdolled in?

Postseason

He fought Chris Neil ---- okay that is a clear loss, and may qualify for ragdoll status.

Regular season

Chris Thorburn... 66.2% voted draw on Hockeyfights. 18.3% voted Moen.... 15.5% voted Thorburn

B.J. Crombeen... 66.2% voted draw.... 28.4% Moen..... 5.4% Crombeen

Greg Campell.... 48.8% voted Win for Moen.... 39.4% Draw.... 11.8% Campbell

Simmonds.... 59.8% voted Simmonds... 37.3% Draw.... 2.9% Moen

Okay so he's either 1-2-2 on the season, or 3-2 on the season... depending on how you score the two draws (if you give him a minority decision or call it a draw).

The numbers still don't add up to the perceptions.

I'm with Stogey on this one.

Last season, I clearly didn't see the Moen I was used to see.

Did you ?

I saw the exact same Moen from the season before. The perception out there is that he should be another Prust, hitting anything that moves and fighting frequently. He hasn't been that player for a long time and I'm certain the Habs knew that when they signed him long-term given that he hadn't played like that in 2011-12. His role is and has been that of a bottom six checker - someone that can log regular minutes and play the penalty kill while hitting and fighting when necessary. If that's the standard you hold him against, it's not quite as bad. Did he have a great year? Not really. But he's still a serviceable forward.

Guest Stogey24

Easy Stats Can. Those stats are based on random people voting. Hopefully the ghost we call Moen shows up this year.

I saw the exact same Moen from the season before. The perception out there is that he should be another Prust, hitting anything that moves and fighting frequently. He hasn't been that player for a long time and I'm certain the Habs knew that when they signed him long-term given that he hadn't played like that in 2011-12. His role is and has been that of a bottom six checker - someone that can log regular minutes and play the penalty kill while hitting and fighting when necessary. If that's the standard you hold him against, it's not quite as bad. Did he have a great year? Not really. But he's still a serviceable forward.

Exactly. He's playing the same game he has in Montreal for 5 years. There really is no difference in his play other than the fact he isn't in the top 6 and is getting less minutes. Other than that, he's the same guy he was.

He was never as good as Prust, and never fought at the rate Prust does, or hit at the rate Prust does. Thats never been his game. His numbers haven't changed. Just the reference point has, because we are now expecting him to be Prust.

Its like us signing a 50 goal scorer, and then Max Pac going out and getting 30 again, and us being disappointed in Max Pac because he didn't match what the other guy did. No one would do that silliness with a top forward, but with a bottom 6 guy, its exactly what is happening.

Easy Stats Can. Those stats are based on random people voting. Hopefully the ghost we call Moen shows up this year.

Do you have a better way to judge the fight than a large random sample of voters. I don't.

If you want to go to Hockeyfights and watch the videos yourself, you can do that.... but I think you'll see the same thing. 2 clear losses, 1 clear win.... and 2 close fights which can really be called either a draw or a close win for Moen.

http://www.hockeyfights.com/players/806/fightcard/reg2013

Honestly I find the same people who claim Moen sucks now are usually the same people who blamed him for Martin putting him in the top six. They have never liked him and nothing he does will change that.

I can see him getting traded because other teams value him. At the trade deadline Lebrun reported that teams called Bergevin about him. I could see eventually the value seeming worth it but I never like the idea of giving up guys who turn it on in the playoffs consistently, regardless of their position on the team.

Eklund saying trade talks are heating up between Montreal and LA. Only reason I bring it up is, looking over LA's roster and our roster, I don't see what they have that we would want compared to what we would have to give up for it.

Only thing I see that might make a sliver of sense would be Pleks for Carter?

If Ek is right, I could see Matt Greene as the target.

Maybe Greene and Frattin for Diaz and Bourque. ( not saying I love this trade, just guessing on the price)

Despite the amount of hits he gave, I just didn't think that Moen was a factor last season for MANY MANY games.

I believed he was a regular contributor and time to time game changer in every other seasons that he played with us.

But you are right guys, maybe I was seeing this in Prust now and was wishing to see it in both Prust and Moen.

Things are slow so just a general question--- Would you be comfortable going into next season without any further moves? Has MB done enough?

I think we need to replace Gionta/Desharnais with a winger with some size that plays in the dirty areas. Would also like to see a top-6 defenseman that can hold his own defensively and play physical. That being said that is what every team wants.

I'm comfortable with the team we have right now, but would like to see some more moves made and still believe this isn't the roster we will be starting next season with. I do believe with the Briere signing it means one of our previous centers is going somewhere. I also believe if Galchenyuk isn't play center this season he needs to work hard all season on his faceoffs to be ready for next year at center. Waiting too long with him on the wing is taking our future star center away.