Jump to content

Permanent Rumour Thread


Fanpuck33
 Share

Recommended Posts

Vigneault has been a terrific coach IMHO - the best francophone coach of his era, I’d reckon. The question is whether he still is. His tenure in PHIL suggests a guy who maybe has gotten out of step with the new generation - although, of course, he wasn’t exactly handed the 1987 Edmonton Oilers. 

 

Anyway, you have to love what St Louis has done and Marty deserves an extension for sure. I was definitely wrong to be so skeptical about him initially. I do hope, though, that we don’t go crazy and give him 5 years or something. The real test for Coach Marty will be when he is no longer the exciting new voice, the great contrast with his inept and plodding predecessor(s). A 2-3 year extension is perfectly in order.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

... The real test for Coach Marty will be when he is no longer the exciting new voice, the great contrast with his inept and plodding predecessor(s) ...

AND, there are expectations to win

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

AND, there are expectations to win

 

No question, I totally agree that he deserves an extension but he will be expected to duplicate what he was able to accomplish the last part of this year. Expectations will be high.

 

Having said that, I really like what he has done and I think  it is pretty obvious that he is the right choice to lead and develop the young talent the Habs have. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

... I think  it is pretty obvious that he is the right choice to lead and develop the young talent the Habs have. 

Seems that way, but with zero pro coaching experience, being head coach of Habs seems a big leap. I hope he stays and does great. Just isnt a lot of pressure on team at moment, so might be having bit of easy start to coaching career.:spamafote:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

 

No question, I totally agree that he deserves an extension but he will be expected to duplicate what he was able to accomplish the last part of this year. Expectations will be high.

 

Having said that, I really like what he has done and I think  it is pretty obvious that he is the right choice to lead and develop the young talent the Habs have. 

Gorton and Hughes have also changed the habs approach towards dealing with young players. Simmons (who I’ve never been a fan of) wrote; “When Marc Bergevin was in charge of the Montreal Canadiens, rookie star Cole Caufield was instructed to be as bland as possible and hide his personality when doing interviews. Now that Bergevin is gone and Caufield is back scoring, the Habs have encouraged him to share his thoughts and emotions and share his infectious personality.”

Hardly surprising based on how MB and MT dealt with Subban.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Now that Bergevin is gone and Caufield is back scoring, the Habs have encouraged him to share his thoughts and emotions and share his infectious personality.”

Hardly surprising based on how MB and MT dealt with Subban.

 

Somehow I wouldn't expect MT to understand "infectious personality" types. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Somehow I wouldn't expect MT to understand "infectious personality" types. 

Well, he might consider it an infectious disease…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

hockeywriters:

 

"One such player that Hughes can pursue that fits a desperate need for top-six centers is Pierre-Luc Dubois. In a recent 32 Thoughts during a Hockey Night in Canada broadcast, Elliotte Friedman reports that the Winnipeg Jets may trade Dubois. Montreal would benefit from acquiring the 6-foot-3, 218-pound center, as he’d be an excellent fit in a tandem with Suzuki. Dubois’ two-way power forward style not only fills a need at center but also the need for more offense and size in the forward gro..."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, DON said:

hockeywriters:

 

"One such player that Hughes can pursue that fits a desperate need for top-six centers is Pierre-Luc Dubois. In a recent 32 Thoughts during a Hockey Night in Canada broadcast, Elliotte Friedman reports that the Winnipeg Jets may trade Dubois. Montreal would benefit from acquiring the 6-foot-3, 218-pound center, as he’d be an excellent fit in a tandem with Suzuki. Dubois’ two-way power forward style not only fills a need at center but also the need for more offense and size in the forward gro..."

 

I wonder why the Jets would trade him and he wouldn't be cheap nor should he be. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I wonder why the Jets would trade him and he wouldn't be cheap nor should he be. 

Apparently in Winnipeg there is "talk" they need at least a serious re-tool.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Apparently in Winnipeg there is "talk" they need at least a serious re-tool.

 

Perhaps, to me a "re-tool" shouldn't include trading a big, strong and talented 23 year old center as those are hard to find. That doesn't make sense to me. 
 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I hope they simply draft Cooley or Wright as a future #2 and if adding a 23yr old, swap a young RH d in trade for Petry in July.

But, x-large french kid at centre would be a hit in Montreal, but would be very costly i assume and how would you fit in his salary (assuming he is getting more than $5m on his new contract)?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, DON said:

I hope they simply draft Cooley or Wright as a future #2 and if adding a 23yr old, swap a young RH d in trade for Petry in July.

But, x-large french kid at centre would be a hit in Montreal, but would be very costly i assume and how would you fit in his salary (assuming he is getting more than $5m on his new contract)?

 

He is certainly getting more than $5M in his next contract, likely 7.5-8 at least on a long term deal.  I agree about drafting Cooley or Wright and then being a little patient and let them develop. The only way I could see adding someone like Dubois is if they were able to get a contract like Gallagher or Price off the books and I don't see that happening. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The whole idea of trading Laine and Roslovic for Dubois was to give them a high-end 2C behind Scheifele.  To turn around and go back on that after a year and a half doesn't make much sense.  If they want to shake things up, hire a coach that isn't currently in the organization (they promoted an assistant when Maurice resigned).  That might be all they really need to do, get a new system/structure and then the talent they have should be good enough.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Perhaps, to me a "re-tool" shouldn't include trading a big, strong and talented 23 year old center as those are hard to find. That doesn't make sense to me. 

I agree ... but it is all fans/media speculation ... and any possible decision to trade him will also be impacted by what the return would be in terms of meeting their needs if they decide to re-tool.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I agree ... but it is all fans/media speculation ... and any possible decision to trade him will also be impacted by what the return would be in terms of meeting their needs if they decide to re-tool.

Well, maybe they'd be really happy if we gave them Petry, Wideman, Gallagher and Armia for Dubois? 🤣 🤣 🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

 

Perhaps, to me a "re-tool" shouldn't include trading a big, strong and talented 23 year old center as those are hard to find. That doesn't make sense to me. 
 

I think the reason Winnipeg is considering trading him, is if they don’t think they can resign him. When they traded for him, I had said, why would he want to sign long-term in Winnipeg (with apologies to those of you from Winnipeg), and I had thought someone had said his dad or someone close to him was working for the jets, so it wouldn’t be an issue.

 
if they move him, they’d probably want a first (ours not Calgary), this year or next year, and I wouldn’t want to give up either, Or Caufield, Suzuki, Romanov to be part of the deal. I wouldn’t want to do that. Hell, I don’t think we. Like even trade our D prospects (ie Guhle), because we lake depth.

 

getting him would be a first step in fast tracking the rebuild, but it only works if we were sending say Gallagher, Savard and our first from Calgary, and Winnipeg would be dumb to do that. I also doubt if Gallagher would approve the deal (unsure about Savard).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I think the reason Winnipeg is considering trading him, is if they don’t think they can resign him.

 

That might be the reason. You would think they would want very good young center in return as that would leave a big hole up the middle and Scheifele is 29, not a young buck anymore. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I think the reason Winnipeg is considering trading him, is if they don’t think they can resign him. When they traded for him, I had said, why would he want to sign long-term in Winnipeg (with apologies to those of you from Winnipeg), and I had thought someone had said his dad or someone close to him was working for the jets, so it wouldn’t be an issue.

 
if they move him, they’d probably want a first (ours not Calgary), this year or next year, and I wouldn’t want to give up either, Or Caufield, Suzuki, Romanov to be part of the deal. I wouldn’t want to do that. Hell, I don’t think we. Like even trade our D prospects (ie Guhle), because we lake depth.

 

getting him would be a first step in fast tracking the rebuild, but it only works if we were sending say Gallagher, Savard and our first from Calgary, and Winnipeg would be dumb to do that. I also doubt if Gallagher would approve the deal (unsure about Savard).

 

Yep, I'd be happy getting him - and I notice that he is no longer regarded as a sure-fire #1C, which is how he was thought of when Columbus traded him. So his trade value is probably more realistic now. The problem is, it is really hard to see a package that makes sense for both teams. I dunno, maybe Josh Anderson could be a key part of the return - ? Him and Dvorak plus a high pick? But even that is probably not realistic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

 

Yep, I'd be happy getting him - and I notice that he is no longer regarded as a sure-fire #1C, which is how he was thought of when Columbus traded him. So his trade value is probably more realistic now. The problem is, it is really hard to see a package that makes sense for both teams. I dunno, maybe Josh Anderson could be a key part of the return - ? Him and Dvorak plus a high pick? But even that is probably not realistic.

 

I think he would be a great addition but it comes down to what you would be willing to give up and what can you sign him for.  I don't think Suzuki/Caulfield are going anywhere. 

 

I think the Habs #1 pick would be a big component in any deal.  A trade like that would signal that HuGo wants to accelerate the rebuild process and that Winnipeg want to do a major rebuild. I don't think I want to trade the #1 pick but Dubois won't come cheap, he is only 23 and he and Suzuki would be a formidable 1-2 punch up the middle for a long time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

 

Yep, I'd be happy getting him - and I notice that he is no longer regarded as a sure-fire #1C, which is how he was thought of when Columbus traded him. So his trade value is probably more realistic now. The problem is, it is really hard to see a package that makes sense for both teams. I dunno, maybe Josh Anderson could be a key part of the return - ? Him and Dvorak plus a high pick? But even that is probably not realistic.

I’d do Dvorak and Anderson in a heartbeat, but I’d doubt if that would get it done. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's one of those things...a big, physical 60-70 point C is a pretty satisfactory outcome for a top-level pick. The question is, do we get #1 overall, and if we do, what is a reasonable projection for Wright? Franchise C? Then we would be damned stupid to trade that away.

 

If we slide down to #3 or worse, then I'd incline to make that trade. Otherwise put, unless we are pretty confident that our pick will yield a #1 defenceman or a #1 C, why not trade it for a sure-fire 23-year-old 60-70 point pivot with size? If that's what KK had become, we'd have been more than happy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

 

I think he would be a great addition but it comes down to what you would be willing to give up and what can you sign him for.  I don't think Suzuki/Caulfield are going anywhere. 

 

I think the Habs #1 pick would be a big component in any deal.  A trade like that would signal that HuGo wants to accelerate the rebuild process and that Winnipeg want to do a major rebuild. I don't think I want to trade the #1 pick but Dubois won't come cheap, he is only 23 and he and Suzuki would be a formidable 1-2 punch up the middle for a long time. 

There’s no way is trade our #1 pick, maybe the puck from a Calgary, depending on what else we have to give up. I’d want to love some salary out though - preferably they guys we don’t want/need like Petry (doubt he’d be willing to go), Gallagher (doubt if he’d want to go, or if Winnipeg would want him), Savard (unsure what type of NTC/NMC he has), Hoffman (doubt if Winnipeg wants him), Byron (damaged goods - doubt if they want him, or if he’s even tradeable).

 

I like CC’s proposal Svorak/Anderson), just can’t seeing the jets going for it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It's one of those things...a big, physical 60-70 point C is a pretty satisfactory outcome for a top-level pick. The question is, do we get #1 overall, and if we do, what is a reasonable projection for Wright? Franchise C? Then we would be damned stupid to trade that away.

 

If we slide down to #3 or worse, then I'd incline to make that trade. Otherwise put, unless we are pretty confident that our pick will yield a #1 defenceman or a #1 C, why not trade it for a sure-fire 23-year-old 60-70 point pivot with size? If that's what KK had become, we'd have been more than happy.

It depend on the ceiling for the guys available. Do they have a higher ceiling than PLD?  Than their is the salery cap consideration; we already have a lot of bottom pairing dmen/bottom half forwards making a lot of money. How do you upgrade the D with those on the books, and having to resign PLD?  Caufield will be coming up for a new contract next year as well.  
 

From a salary cap perspective I’d even be hesitant to make a trade centered around our pick from Calgary. We still need to add pieces where salary is going out - preferably guys we don’t want, and I can’t see Winnipeg wanting them either.

 

I had also read that Winnipeg may want to blow thing up and move even Scheifele. If they are doing that, can’t see them wanting to guys like Anderson Dvorak, Savard, or Gallagher. They already traded away Armia, won’t want back an older more expensive version.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...