Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I suspect the Habs will be prioritizing a prospect/young player rather than a pick for Monahan. You can't keep rebuilding forever and Suzuki is entering his prime years. Look for an already-marinading prospect or a Newhook type to come back the other way IMHO...someone in the 20-23 age range.

In counterpoint to this, the Habs have made trades for Dach and Newhook at the last two drafts.  In both cases, they included a first round pick acquired earlier from another team.  They seem to be on board with you, in targetting young NHL players over picks in some cases.  The issue is that at the trade deadline there aren't a lot of young NHL players available, and they may not even be from the team that trades for Monahan.  So sure, if you can get someone who is NHL ready back and you like, that's great.  But if you get a first round pick, that is currency that you can use to try and trade with another team for the NHL ready player you want on that date.  The end result of a first round pick may not be an 18 year old on Draft Day, it might be part of a second trade. 

35 minutes ago, Commandant said:

In counterpoint to this, the Habs have made trades for Dach and Newhook at the last two drafts.  In both cases, they included a first round pick acquired earlier from another team.  They seem to be on board with you, in targetting young NHL players over picks in some cases.  The issue is that at the trade deadline there aren't a lot of young NHL players available, and they may not even be from the team that trades for Monahan.  So sure, if you can get someone who is NHL ready back and you like, that's great.  But if you get a first round pick, that is currency that you can use to try and trade with another team for the NHL ready player you want on that date.  The end result of a first round pick may not be an 18 year old on Draft Day, it might be part of a second trade. 

Great point.

It'll be fun to see, now that the market has been set "high" for rentals, how this plays out :thumbs_up:

14 minutes ago, huzer said:

With all the talk about retention on Monahan as a sweetener, what does that mean for a potential deal for Pearson. Or is there one to be had, there?

My own personal opinion is that if a team did want him for depth Pearson would be worth anything from a fifth rounder to future considerations. 

6 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

My own personal opinion is that if a team did want him for depth Pearson would be worth anything from a fifth rounder to future considerations. 

I don't expect anything significant for Pearson, I guess from my standpoint, is there any value in retention there vs retention on Monahan. Probably not, but we do know that there are GMs out there that value the playoff experience and Cup rings.

47 minutes ago, huzer said:

With all the talk about retention on Monahan as a sweetener, what does that mean for a potential deal for Pearson. Or is there one to be had, there?

He seems like a 2:59 trade for futures, unless he gets incredibly hot in the next few weeks ... but still wouldn't expect a big return.

1 hour ago, huzer said:

We only have one retention spot left right now.  Surely it will be used (if used at all) on Monahan (most likely since its just this year) or as a sweetner on Allen or Savard (both would tie up the spot for next season too).  I can't see wanting to use the last spot on Pearson, who is unlikely to get much return at all, even with the sweetner.  I think 5th round pick or later is max considering he's barely scored since October (even when he's played, which has been sparingly).  I mean if its 2:45 and the deadline is 3:00 pm and you use it to make your Pearson deal, I get that, but I wouldn't use this bargaining chip on his contract if there is a chance I need it for someone else. 

If that means no one wants Pearson, oh well, it wasn't a huge return anyway.

7 hours ago, Commandant said:

was about to respond to Cuccumber but you saved me a lot of typing. 

This. 

Exactly. 

Would avoid the risk of SM getting injured but would also avoid the desperation that drives up prices at the deadline.

3 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Would avoid the risk of SM getting injured but would also avoid the desperation that drives up prices at the deadline.

Don’t overthink. If Winnipeg makes a compelling offer, you take it.

1 minute ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Don’t overthink. If Winnipeg makes a compelling offer, you take it.

Agreed

Over the next three years the Jets are only missing their 2024 2nd rounder so they have "draft capital".

Amongst their best prospects (excluding defencemen) are:

• Colby Barlow
    Left Wing, LHS, 18 yrs-old, 6.01, 195, #18 overall 2023
  • Brad Lambert
    Center, RHS, 20 yrs-ago, 6.01, 173, #30 overall 2022
  • Chaz Lucius
    Center, RHS, 20 yrs-old, 6.01, 185, #18 overall 2021 
  • Rutger McGroarty
    Right Wing, LHS, 19 yrs-old, 6.01, 200, #14 overall 2022

And all that irrelevant because it is now reported:

After seeing what was brought in for Lindolm... this seems like it's not enough. Considering they are the same age, Monahan is healthy and out performing Lindolmbthis season. As well as outperformed throughout  their career

This may be important ... could still use the remaining slot this season (and, unfortunately, one next year) to move Allen or Savard

1 minute ago, GHT120 said:

This may be important ... could still use the remaining slot this season (and, unfortunately, one next year) to move Allen or Savard

Do not overlook this fact. 

Shrewd move by Hughes 

13 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

After seeing what was brought in for Lindolm... this seems like it's not enough. Considering they are the same age, Monahan is healthy and out performing Lindolmbthis season. As well as outperformed throughout  their career

League wide, Lindholm is seen as a better player and one without the injury risk.  That's important. 

2 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Injury risk... 100% get it. 

But league wide considered better player? Not so sure that's a league wide opinion, or your opinion unless we are factoring in recent injuries.

Yes it is a considerable difference 

46 minutes ago, Commandant said:

The Avs have placed their backup goalie on waivers.  If he is claimed or sent to the AHL, they will only have one goalie.

Allen, 50% retained for .................. ?

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

The Avs have placed their backup goalie on waivers.  If he is claimed or sent to the AHL, they will only have one goalie.

Sounds like Annunen will be recalled tomorrow and they'll give him a look.  If he doesn't pan out, then they'll look for a goalie closer to the deadline.  I think there's a good chance Prosvetov will be claimed as well, Arizona for starters to try to get him back in their system.

Not a rumour just speculation by Sportsnet that Harris is on the market. I think we would all agree that we are deep in that area. 

But what is a guy like Harris worth? Considering the return on Emelin was pretty good I would think that Harris is more valuable. 

Is Harris worth a first and a second?

IMG_0300.jpeg

24 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Not a rumour just speculation by Sportsnet that Harris is on the market. I think we would all agree that we are deep in that area. 

But what is a guy like Harris worth? Considering the return on Emelin was pretty good I would think that Harris is more valuable. 

Is Harris worth a first and a second?

I would be absolutely stunned if Harris yielded a first-round pick let alone a first-plus.  I don't think he's viewed as someone whose ceiling is much higher than his current level of play.  Even with a few years of team control, is a #5 that maybe possibly could be a #4 down the road worth that much?  If the Habs were buying and had an opening on D, I wouldn't want them paying that much for a Harris-type player.

Interestingly enough, the screenshot you posted cut off one team that's speculated to be a landing spot, Calgary.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I would be absolutely stunned if Harris yielded a first-round pick let alone a first-plus.  I don't think he's viewed as someone whose ceiling is much higher than his current level of play.  Even with a few years of team control, is a #5 that maybe possibly could be a #4 down the road worth that much?  If the Habs were buying and had an opening on D, I wouldn't want them paying that much for a Harris-type player.

Interestingly enough, the screenshot you posted cut off one team that's speculated to be a landing spot, Calgary.

Hmmmm so Harris might be a second round pick. Was hoping for more but your analogy about the Habs trading for a Harris type is true