Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

11 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

The goalie market is weird this year.  Multiple teams are looking for goalie and there's some interesting names out there that may or may not be available.

Saros is listed there too and I'm pretty sure Nashville still wants to resign him.

Markstrom may or may not be available.

Swayman may or may not be available.

With 3 good goalies potentially available, teams don't want to commit until they know the status of at least those 3.  Allen won't get traded until the deadline.

11 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

With 3 good goalies potentially available, teams don't want to commit until they know the status of at least those 3.  Allen won't get traded until the deadline.

I think it depends on whether a team is looking for a #1 goalie or a solid back up. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

The goalie market is weird this year.  Multiple teams are looking for goalie and there's some interesting names out there that may or may not be available.

Saros is listed there too and I'm pretty sure Nashville still wants to resign him.

Markstrom may or may not be available.

Swayman may or may not be available.

"Talk" I've read/heard is that Saros is available to an OUTSTANDSING offer, but they are not trying to trade him.

Bruins are in the mix for the conference title and are 4th in GAA in the NHL ... I expect it would take one heck of an offer for them to move Swayman. 

Markstrom has a reasonable (I-M-O) $6M AAV, the third best GAA and 7th best Sv% in the league, but two more seasons on his contract, so some teams may have to manipulate their cap to take him on in both the short and long term ... he also has a NMC, so he isn't available to everyone.

It will be an interesting few weeks.

An interesting tidbit from Pierre LeBrun (for The Athletic) checking in with Don Waddell:

“Yeah we’re not big on rental types,” Waddell said. “We’ve done a couple over the years, but the only (deadline deals) we’ve paid big prices, like giving up a first-round pick for Skjei, we were going to have him for four years.

“Our first priority, if we’re giving up premium picks or top prospects, we want to make sure that we get a player for more than a few months. 

Might not impact the Habs ... but an interesting perspective none-the-less.

14 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

An interesting tidbit from Pierre LeBrun (for The Athletic) checking in with Don Waddell:

“Yeah we’re not big on rental types,” Waddell said. “We’ve done a couple over the years, but the only (deadline deals) we’ve paid big prices, like giving up a first-round pick for Skjei, we were going to have him for four years.

“Our first priority, if we’re giving up premium picks or top prospects, we want to make sure that we get a player for more than a few months. 

Might not impact the Habs ... but an interesting perspective none-the-less.

I can hope and hope strongly that He is talking about Josh Anderson. 

• Like 1

Throw Armia into the mix too.

25 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

The other thing of some note in there is that they're no longer looking for goalies which takes one of the more viable speculative landing spots for Allen off the table.

I can't see Habs getting much for Allen. I think 3rd RD is best case, but even that is a reach. 

11 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Or maybe Brendan Gallagher as he can have him for several years. 

Oh yes Gallagher would be freaking wonderful to trade away🎉

Just now, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

I can't see Habs getting much for Allen. I think 3rd RD is best case, but even that is a reach. 

I bet Allen gets put on waivers next season if Hughes can’t trade him. I don’t think anyone wants him. 

2 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Allen has almost zero value without retention or taking back a bad contract. I think one thing working in the Habs favour this year at the deadline is that there is no clear cup favourite, many teams have a legitimate shot and it looks like the races for the last playoff spot will go down to the wire. Many teams are still in contention so there could be fewer sellers this year. 

58 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I bet Allen gets put on waivers next season if Hughes can’t trade him. I don’t think anyone wants him.

Or Primeau goes somewhere in the off-season as apart of a package.

Read that Buffalo may look for a goalie in the off-season in free agency or trade for a goalie with a year left so Levi could spend a full season in the AHL.  Allen with retention is about what Buffalo would be spending in free agency.

7 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I'd be shocked if that happens.  Hughes has gone out of his way to be respectful to veterans so I don't see him embarrassing Allen like that.  That's one of those things where the reputational hit to the organization would make that a risky proposition.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I'd be shocked if that happens.  Hughes has gone out of his way to be respectful to veterans so I don't see him embarrassing Allen like that.  That's one of those things where the reputational hit to the organization would make that a risky proposition.

Perhaps the Habs trade Primeau instead but if there isn’t a market for Allen, do you think the Habs roll with three goalies again?

I don’t think they want that either. 

I don’t think Allen gets sent to Laval in any scenario but would waiving him be a bad PR move if the intention is to offer him to other teams for free? 

1 minute ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I don’t think Allen gets sent to Laval in any scenario but would waiving him be a bad PR move if the intention is to offer him to other teams for free? 

I think it would be easier to move him if the Habs retain 50% and collect some modest draft pick in trade.

14 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Perhaps the Habs trade Primeau instead but if there isn’t a market for Allen, do you think the Habs roll with three goalies again?

I don’t think they want that either. 

If faced with waiving Allen or carrying three goalies to start next season, I think they'll believe that three goalies is the lesser evil.

If the intention is to give him away, there's a way to do it without waivers, it's the trade for future considerations approach.  That would reflect better on the organization who could then say they sent him to place of his choosing rather than running the risk of one of the teams on his no-trade list putting in a claim.  If they waived him and a NTC team claimed him, that wouldn't be pretty; the Habs would be accused of bypassing his trade protection which wouldn't sit well with players and agents.

50 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

If faced with waiving Allen or carrying three goalies to start next season, I think they'll believe that three goalies is the lesser evil.

If the intention is to give him away, there's a way to do it without waivers, it's the trade for future considerations approach.  That would reflect better on the organization who could then say they sent him to place of his choosing rather than running the risk of one of the teams on his no-trade list putting in a claim.  If they waived him and a NTC team claimed him, that wouldn't be pretty; the Habs would be accused of bypassing his trade protection which wouldn't sit well with players and agents.

I certainly hadn’t considered the bypassing of trade protections. What an astute observation. 

I guess I can hope Allen gets traded then because I don’t want Primeau to sit as much next season too. 

49 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I certainly hadn’t considered the bypassing of trade protections. What an astute observation. 

I guess I can hope Allen gets traded then because I don’t want Primeau to sit as much next season too. 

They ***** MAY ***** also consider a buyout ... which gives him the freedom to pursue his career elsewhere, saves them $600K if Primeau is the backup and resolves the Gidorah Goalie problem. 

30 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

They ***** MAY ***** also consider a buyout ... which gives him the freedom to pursue his career elsewhere, saves them $600K if Primeau is the backup and resolves the Gidorah Goalie problem. 

That is another option for the summer.  Not sure what is cheaper or better, retain 50% and then maybe you get something for him or a buyout. I guess it depends on the goalie market. 

30 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

That is another option for the summer.  Not sure what is cheaper or better, retain 50% and then maybe you get something for him or a buyout. I guess it depends on the goalie market. 

From Capfriendly's buyout calculator:

A Jake Allen buyout spans 2 years, has a cost of $1,533,333 and savings of $766,667. Allen is 33 years of age at the time of the buyout; therefore, the buyout ratio is 2/3. With $2,300,000 in salary remaining, the cost is $1,533,333, and the savings are $766,667. Buyouts span twice the length of the remaining years and because there is 1 year remaining in the contract, the buyout length is 2 years. The buyout cap hit is displayed in the Cap Hit Calculations table below.

(below is abbreviated)

Cap hits

24-25 - $2,316,667

25-26 - $766,667

By those calculations, trading Allen with 50% retained for futures is better cap wise, but does use a retention slot.

2 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

From Capfriendly's buyout calculator:

A Jake Allen buyout spans 2 years, has a cost of $1,533,333 and savings of $766,667. Allen is 33 years of age at the time of the buyout; therefore, the buyout ratio is 2/3. With $2,300,000 in salary remaining, the cost is $1,533,333, and the savings are $766,667. Buyouts span twice the length of the remaining years and because there is 1 year remaining in the contract, the buyout length is 2 years. The buyout cap hit is displayed in the Cap Hit Calculations table below.

(below is abbreviated)

Cap hits

24-25 - $2,316,667

25-26 - $766,667

By those calculations, trading Allen with 50% retained for futures is better cap wise, but does use a retention slot.

The $776,667 is the 25/26 cap-hit for the second year of the buyout period ... a buyout saves the $1,533,337 on the 24/25 cap, and costs $766,667 in 25/26.

Using the last retention slot at this years' deadline blocks any other salary retention this season, uses the 2nd of 3 slots for 24/25 and costs $1.925 on the 24/25 cap (saving $391,670 against next years' cap compared to a buyout) ... the cap impact is the same if the retain salary in a summer 2024 trade.

I suspect HuGo might just prefer to take the extra cap-hit in 24/25 and give Allen (a) more money and (b) complete freedom to sign anywhere but Montréal) ... I have no doubt Allen could at least get a $1.15M "buriable" contract ($3.46667M total) somewhere.

49 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

The $776,667 is the 25/26 cap-hit for the second year of the buyout period ... a buyout saves the $1,533,337 on the 24/25 cap, and costs $766,667 in 25/26.

The cap hit numbers were the numbers Capfriendly had listed at Montreal's cap hit for those 2 years.

jakeallenbuyout.png

22 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

The cap hit numbers were the numbers Capfriendly had listed at Montreal's cap hit for those 2 years.

True ... apologies ... I read your post as ignoring the cap cost of the second year, which happens to the same as the TOTAL savings ... total savings may matter to teams but I-M-O has little value when looking at buyouts and cap impacts.

• Like 1