Anti-Maple Leafs Thread

Cataclaw

just wanted to be the 200th reply saying how bad the leafs suck !!

now I can carry on and do greater things in life...like going to work in 10 mins :puke:

Edited by marky_and_komi

just wanted to be the 200th reply saying how bad the leafs suck !!

now I can carry on and do greater things in life...like going to work in 10 mins :puke:

That sucks the mid night shift. Well I am usually a night hawk so I guess it is not all that bad.

Wamsley, you echo my experiences and sentiments with TO and leafs fans.. and I dont even live in Toronto!!

God help us all if the worst occurs this weekend. It will be ammo for YEARS.

True, but let's think positive. If the best occurs, we'll have 2 consecutive years of ammo to draw on, not to mention the 24 Cups, or the 10 Cups since the Leafs last won it, etc., etc.

Wamsley, you echo my experiences and sentiments with TO and leafs fans.. and I dont even live in Toronto!!

God help us all if the worst occurs this weekend. It will be ammo for YEARS.

I just wish we could make it all easy...

We win tonight... The leafs lose a long slow game tonight, with tonnes of fights, stupidity, and, and, and...

Saturday, we hit the ice in TO and just tear them apart...

...just because we are the better hockey club...

...just because we love hockey and the habs...

...just because we want good teams in the playoffs, and always have wanted the best to win...

...this late in the year, an OT win against last place Philly is truly not playoff worthy... Mats played, Kyle played, Tucker played, Kaberle played and the game was that tight, when it should have been a KO in the 2nd... so what is the excuse? I don't care who's in nets... there is no excuse... but leaf fans can't see that...

...coming down the stretch on the other hand, since March 8th, the habs have marked 18 of a possible 24 points (.750 hockey) and in the same stretch TO has played 26 possible points for 16 points of which 5 points where gained via overtime? (.615 hockey). Old points system(.538), leafs are already golfing... meaning the leafs are worse than we even realize...

...time to say your prayers...

GO :hlogo: GO!

Cheers,

J

Every October they plan a parade route through the city..... and that is not an exaggeration :wacko:

Uh, actually it is. Especially for the last few years. The only time I've ever heard people say that is in frustrated self-mockery.

Sorry guys I don't get this thread. Turning off lurker-mode..

The Habs are becoming the Vancouver Canucks of the East. Well, only in the sense that they have no "real" rivalry. (Nothing to do with long term suckage and questionable uniform design). Canucks fans like to hate on Edmonton and Calgary from time to time but the hate never gets returned as Calgary and Edm are laser-focused on each other. It looked like maybe Colorado.. but no.. due to the Luongo trade the situation settled down quickly. Poor no-rival Vancouver.

The sad fact is the blood has been slowly draining from the Leafs-Habs rivalry for decades and now its on its death bed. From the anti-leafs tone of habsworld, maybe more so on the Leafs side. We once had a good thing going with Boston but that fell apart too. We should remember what a real rivalry is like since the Nordiques were the real deal.

I've never seen a Leafs fan truly lose it over the Habs. Anti-Habs sentiment is reflex for some but lacking in passion. The proof is countless Leafs fans will talk to you, knowing you're a Montreal fan, endlessly about the perceived shortcomings of their team. However if there is even the hint of a Sens fan in the room not a single word of criticism will be heard and the only talk is about how much the sens suck. Future humiliations the sens will suffer etc etc

Toronto fans hate #1 the Sens #2 the Sens #3 Philadelphia. the Habs are #4 for many but for others there's just a grudging respect. Mostly b/c the Habs have had and are what the Leafs believe should have been theirs. And its hard to really hate what you idealize. The Borje Salming thing and the 40 yr cup anniversary thing were just sad reflections of real celebrations teams with prouder histories put on.

Living in Toronto is like living in the hockey version of the 40-year old virgin. While Montreal is the guy who has always had the success. You are jealous. But secretly you want to be that guy.

With that said, the leafs forum has a thread like this every year:

http://www.tmlfans.ca/forums/index.php/topic,49851.0.html

While habsworld, the site of the, by far, classiest team in hockey has just this thread???

Why can't we have a thread that discusses the leafs - beyond worn out clichés - but from a Montreal perspective?

By far the best thing for a real Leafs Habs rivalry to reemerge would be the Habs eliminating the Leafs on Saturday with some overblown pseudo-questionable reason thrown in. Something leafs radio show callers will bring up for years. (Also if the Habs picked up Daniel Alfredsson it would help)

Don't be throwing a wet blanket on a perfectly good hate-on, st hat trick!

:P

Seriously, you have some valid points. I agree that the rivalry is more 'heated' on Montreal's side. In addition to their battles with Ottawa, it may also have something to do with Montreal's relative inadequacy compared to the Leafs for a number of years until last season. Since last year, though, I think it's been ascending, and as you suggest, beating them on Saturday with controversy will go a long way toward continuing that. Last year's dual beatings were too lopsided to get Leaf fans to hate anything except their own team.

As far as Habs fans posting about the Leafs in a rational manner, it could probably be done, but it may not be as much fun. ^_^ I believe the media coverage also goes a long way in shaping our opinions. While both teams are under intense scrutiny, coverage of the Habs tends to be much more critical of the team (a sign perhaps of higher expectations, ... or just more journalists willing to overstep reasonable boundaries), while Leafs' coverage (with a couple exceptions - e.g. Howard Berger) placate the hordes with a more sacharrine view. This just feeds the 'centre of the universe' attitude of its fans, which I've seen all too often.

Edited by Mont Royale

We need some jokes regarding the leefy's on here. Here's one:

Back in 1992 when the NHL was investigating new franchises, the board of governors ruled against the Senators in Ottawa because Toronto might want an NHL franchise as a result.

:P

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

so far, it's 0 - 0 in the islanders game...

GO ISLANDERS!

Uh, actually it is. Especially for the last few years. The only time I've ever heard people say that is in frustrated self-mockery.

Not referring to the City or Leafs management in this case - but I hear it every year from a ton of Laff fans and see it from posters on an assortment of hockey boards every bloody fall.....

islanders / leafs - onesies...

Canucks fans like to hate on Edmonton and Calgary from time to time but the hate never gets returned as Calgary and Edm are laser-focused on each other. It looked like maybe Colorado.. but no.. due to the Luongo trade the situation settled down quickly. Poor no-rival Vancouver.

You might want to check your facts. I can't speak for Edmonton fans but Flames fans hate the Canucks just as much as the Oilers, moreso out of outright hatred. Theres atleast a tiny bit of underlying respect in the Oilers/Flames rivalry but with the Canucks it's "You suck, we hate you, you'll never do anything. ###### you"

And yeah, theres still a rivalry with my boys. We still hate the Canucks, our #1 rival now that the Red Wings rivalry has died down.

I cannot speak for the people of BC, but why would they dislike the Habs? They have played in the playoffs what once? They meet 1 time a year now. And not more than twice a year in the last 25 years. They play in the Eastern Conference. Out of all the Canadian teams left I probably like the Nucks the best.

It usually seems to be one of two reasons: politics and/or French (Quebec) bias, although you could argue that the two are intertwined. I think there's also a bit of jealousy involved, seeing that Vancouver's won jack.

Sorry guys I don't get this thread. Turning off lurker-mode..

The Habs are becoming the Vancouver Canucks of the East. Well, only in the sense that they have no "real" rivalry. (Nothing to do with long term suckage and questionable uniform design). Canucks fans like to hate on Edmonton and Calgary from time to time but the hate never gets returned as Calgary and Edm are laser-focused on each other. It looked like maybe Colorado.. but no.. due to the Luongo trade the situation settled down quickly. Poor no-rival Vancouver.

The sad fact is the blood has been slowly draining from the Leafs-Habs rivalry for decades and now its on its death bed. From the anti-leafs tone of habsworld, maybe more so on the Leafs side. We once had a good thing going with Boston but that fell apart too. We should remember what a real rivalry is like since the Nordiques were the real deal.

I've never seen a Leafs fan truly lose it over the Habs. Anti-Habs sentiment is reflex for some but lacking in passion. The proof is countless Leafs fans will talk to you, knowing you're a Montreal fan, endlessly about the perceived shortcomings of their team. However if there is even the hint of a Sens fan in the room not a single word of criticism will be heard and the only talk is about how much the sens suck. Future humiliations the sens will suffer etc etc

Toronto fans hate #1 the Sens #2 the Sens #3 Philadelphia. the Habs are #4 for many but for others there's just a grudging respect. Mostly b/c the Habs have had and are what the Leafs believe should have been theirs. And its hard to really hate what you idealize. The Borje Salming thing and the 40 yr cup anniversary thing were just sad reflections of real celebrations teams with prouder histories put on.

Living in Toronto is like living in the hockey version of the 40-year old virgin. While Montreal is the guy who has always had the success. You are jealous. But secretly you want to be that guy.

With that said, the leafs forum has a thread like this every year:

http://www.tmlfans.ca/forums/index.php/topic,49851.0.html

While habsworld, the site of the, by far, classiest team in hockey has just this thread???

Why can't we have a thread that discusses the leafs - beyond worn out clichés - but from a Montreal perspective?

By far the best thing for a real Leafs Habs rivalry to reemerge would be the Habs eliminating the Leafs on Saturday with some overblown pseudo-questionable reason thrown in. Something leafs radio show callers will bring up for years. (Also if the Habs picked up Daniel Alfredsson it would help)

I cannot disagree with you more.

Fairweather Leaf fans and fans who are 20 years old and less hate the Sens more than the Habs. habs hatred runs deep. Anybody who is 30 or older and a Leaf fan hates the Habs.

I am 33 and anybody who grew up in the 80s in Toronto hated Montreal because Montreal fans were arrogant...and they should have been. 6 Cups in the 70s...and essentially 100 pt years every year in the 80s made for a painful time for Leaf fans. Added to the fact that the greatest Leaf team of the last 30 years still could not shove it in habs fans faces because the Habs won the Cup in 93!

They hate the Sens right now because they played them essentially every year for 5 years.

Leaf fans HAAAAAATE having Cups thrown in their face because they have no comeback! Sens fans do not hold an upper hand on Toronto in anyway and Leaf fans love to rub their face in it.

So the answer is...if you ask anybody 25 and under who they hate the most and they will say Philly/Ottawa etc. You ask older fans and the majority will be the Habs. You cannot remove history. And the Habs/Leafs have it in spades.

You may disagree, but I have lived in Toronto as a habs fan my whole life and before 99 Leaf fans didn't even know the Sens existed and had not played Philly since the mid 70s in the playoffs....but every habs/Leaf game was a circus at the Gardens and the ACC.

It is Montreal, and any Leaf fan that says otherwise is either way to young, or is not a hardcore Leaf fan. Because they just don't understand!

Edited by Wamsley01

I cannot disagree with you more.

Fairweather Leaf fans and fans who are 20 years old and less hate the Sens more than the Habs. habs hatred runs deep. Anybody who is 30 or older and a Leaf fan hates the Habs.

I am 33 and anybody who grew up in the 80s in Toronto hated Montreal because Montreal fans were arrogant...and they should have been. 6 Cups in the 70s...and essentially 100 pt years every year in the 80s made for a painful time for Leaf fans. Added to the fact that the greatest Leaf team of the last 30 years still could not shove it in habs fans faces because the Habs won the Cup in 93!

They hate the Sens right now because they played them essentially every year for 5 years.

Leaf fans HAAAAAATE having Cups thrown in their face because they have no comeback! Sens fans do not hold an upper hand on Toronto in anyway and Leaf fans love to rub their face in it.

So the answer is...if you ask anybody 25 and under who they hate the most and they will say Philly/Ottawa etc. You ask older fans and the majority will be the Habs. You cannot remove history. And the Habs/Leafs have it in spades.

You may disagree, but I have lived in Toronto as a habs fan my whole life and before 99 Leaf fans didn't even know the Sens existed and had not played Philly since the mid 70s in the playoffs....but every habs/Leaf game was a circus at the Gardens and the ACC.

It is Montreal, and any Leaf fan that says otherwise is either way to young, or is not a hardcore Leaf fan. Because they just don't understand!

Well I don't think you totally disagree. I would say the age cut-off would be closer to 40 than 30 but if an age cut-off is even needed it goes towards my point which is the rivalry is fading away. I'm not saying you can remove history and it is the history that will keep the rivalry from ever dying completely. Obviously it was once the greatest rivalry in hockey. Now it is a bit of a museum display sort of thing. Fun b/c of the great history not b/c of the present.

None of the great incidents or periods of real blood-and-guts rivalry took place involving any of the current players on either team or even close. And sport rivalries - involving some real hate - cool off without being renewed with new fresh outrages. You mention the pre-99 sens and that is my point: the 99-2007 period is full of stuff that makes the fans blood boil in Toronto and Ottawa/Kanata. That's almost a decade. Habs-Leafs not so much.

If the Leafs had been defeated by the habs in 93 that would have been awesome. But instead Leaf fans hate Kelly Fraser and Gretzky.

Leafs fans may get annoyed by a rehash of the Montreal cup total but also it might secretly cheer them up a little since if cup total = awesomeness they don't look so bad (unlike in any other comparison). Every other teams fans tell them their cup total is meaningless. An earlier era might have found this more upsetting (as you mentioned. Right now Toronto fans have 0 hope of ever catching Montreal. The idea is ridiculous.

Anyway... blah blah blah... I am not disputing the rivalry that was. It was once huge. Of course. As big as it gets. Part of a long history. But its fading away. Leaf fans still have someone to hate. I'm in my 30s too and live in Toronto now. I've played rec hockey for 6 yrs here plus some coaching, pick-up, Bulldogs games, marlies.

Anyway, I've been mostly a lurker so what right do I have to complain? I love the game day threads here - esp when working late - but I just found this thread disappointing. "leafs fans think they'll win every year" etc etc um... no

My real concern is with habs fans. There should be a better thread on the habs board about the leafs than the other way around.

Actually pls excuse this incoherent post. And excuse the party pooping. I'm kind of down with no playoffs to be honest. This thread wasn't meant to be an equivalent to the tmlfans habs thread I realize that. And if I want to see a different kind of thread why don't I get off my ass and do some writing?

Well I don't think you totally disagree. I would say the age cut-off would be closer to 40 than 30 but if an age cut-off is even needed it goes towards my point which is the rivalry is fading away. I'm not saying you can remove history and it is the history that will keep the rivalry from ever dying completely. Obviously it was once the greatest rivalry in hockey. Now it is a bit of a museum display sort of thing. Fun b/c of the great history not b/c of the present.

None of the great incidents or periods of real blood-and-guts rivalry took place involving any of the current players on either team or even close. And sport rivalries - involving some real hate - cool off without being renewed with new fresh outrages. You mention the pre-99 sens and that is my point: the 99-2007 period is full of stuff that makes the fans blood boil in Toronto and Ottawa/Kanata. That's almost a decade. Habs-Leafs not so much.

If the Leafs had been defeated by the habs in 93 that would have been awesome. But instead Leaf fans hate Kelly Fraser and Gretzky.

Leafs fans may get annoyed by a rehash of the Montreal cup total but also it might secretly cheer them up a little since if cup total = awesomeness they don't look so bad (unlike in any other comparison). Every other teams fans tell them their cup total is meaningless. An earlier era might have found this more upsetting (as you mentioned. Right now Toronto fans have 0 hope of ever catching Montreal. The idea is ridiculous.

Anyway... blah blah blah... I am not disputing the rivalry that was. It was once huge. Of course. As big as it gets. Part of a long history. But its fading away. Leaf fans still have someone to hate. I'm in my 30s too and live in Toronto now. I've played rec hockey for 6 yrs here plus some coaching, pick-up, Bulldogs games, marlies.

Anyway, I've been mostly a lurker so what right do I have to complain? I love the game day threads here - esp when working late - but I just found this thread disappointing. "leafs fans think they'll win every year" etc etc um... no

My real concern is with habs fans. There should be a better thread on the habs board about the leafs than the other way around.

Actually pls excuse this incoherent post. And excuse the party pooping. I'm kind of down with no playoffs to be honest. This thread wasn't meant to be an equivalent to the tmlfans habs thread I realize that. And if I want to see a different kind of thread why don't I get off my ass and do some writing?

The Leaf fans enjoy the Sens rivalry because they hold the upper hand. They look at the Sens like we look at them. They do not want to see the Sen win the Cup because then it gives the Sens the hammer in any disagreements. Just like habs fans have the hammer when Leaf fans talk shit.

I am 33 and every Leaf fan I know my age who is a diehard....80's tough times.....HATES THE HABS. They may be distracted but it is because Montreal has done nothing the last 10 years. Wait til Montreal beats them 6 or 7 times in a season or becomes a league power...they will resent the success. The rivalry is not dead and it never will be. Look at the big deal that was made over a game for 18th place...WTF would happen if that game was a game 7 in the first round?

Red Sox and Blue Jays had a rivalry from 86 to 91 because the Yankees stunk....Sox fans could have cared less about the Yankees during that time. But guess when the rivalty got heated again. When the Yankees fans got their JAM back when they won in 1996...add 3 more titles to that success and the Red Sox fan began to hate the success rubbed in their faces and Yankee fans loved every minute of it.

Sox fans now wanted everybody but the Yanks to win so they did not have to listen to the Yankee fans and the Yankee fans did not want the Sox to win because it removed the greatest hammer....1918! What ensued? A Blood Fued that we have not seen since the Hatfields and McCoys.

The rivalry is laying dormant right now, but it has flashes of where it is going. Stay tuned in the next couple of years if the habs get good and habs fans get their sense of entitlement back.

The Leaf fans enjoy the Sens rivalry because they hold the upper hand. They look at the Sens like we look at them. They do not want to see the Sen win the Cup because then it gives the Sens the hammer in any disagreements. Just like habs fans have the hammer when Leaf fans talk shit.

I am 33 and every Leaf fan I know my age who is a diehard....80's tough times.....HATES THE HABS. They may be distracted but it is because Montreal has done nothing the last 10 years. Wait til Montreal beats them 6 or 7 times in a season or becomes a league power...they will resent the success. The rivalry is not dead and it never will be. Look at the big deal that was made over a game for 18th place...WTF would happen if that game was a game 7 in the first round?

Red Sox and Blue Jays had a rivalry from 86 to 91 because the Yankees stunk....Sox fans could have cared less about the Yankees during that time. But guess when the rivalty got heated again. When the Yankees fans got their JAM back when they won in 1996...add 3 more titles to that success and the Red Sox fan began to hate the success rubbed in their faces and Yankee fans loved every minute of it.

Sox fans now wanted everybody but the Yanks to win so they did not have to listen to the Yankee fans and the Yankee fans did not want the Sox to win because it removed the greatest hammer....1918! What ensued? A Blood Fued that we have not seen since the Hatfields and McCoys.

The rivalry is laying dormant right now, but it has flashes of where it is going. Stay tuned in the next couple of years if the habs get good and habs fans get their sense of entitlement back.

Wow wamsley - that was the best post in the thread. Coherent, insightful, useful analogies. Thanks for taking the time.

you've given me new hope! :-D well, not really.. but I like your thoughts

I have seen it before but it always puts a little smile on my face.

I love when Sutton gives tucker a taste of the glass. He is a UFA this summer and a Kingston boy!

we'll have to send muller with beautyfull women and a suitcase full of $$

• 1 month later...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VUI4mJ9TLTY

Time in to video when Domi elbows Niedermayer is 1:57

Good job, "Me Idiot"

Me Idiot is an anagram for Tie Domi.

Thought the ol' Anti-maple Leafs Season Thread should be resurrected

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

Thought the ol' Anti-maple Leafs Season Thread should be resurrected

Should be in the forum as a featured topic on the top along with the posting tips :lol:

Last week in a little store in Montréal, I saw a t-shirt with a picture of Kovalev hitting Tucker. The picture was in black/white and under the pick there was written : This picture is actually in black and white just to remind you Leafs fans, that the last time you won the Cup, that's how it was playing on tv screen. :clap: