Chara non-suspension talk

dlbalr

18 members have voted

1. 1. How many games, if any, will Chara get?

• 5+

Hopefully Air Canada and Via Rail follow through on their threats then.

I wouldn't be shocked to learn the wind has been taken out of their sails as well.

It's become painfully clear that change will only occur with death.

Sure, a couple arenas might get their boards retro fitted and stanchions padded, but the problems don't seem to be going away anytime soon.

Edited by BrenDittero

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully Air Canada and Via Rail follow through on their threats then.

This is going to go away regardless of what we want. Swept under a bulging rug for now.

The NHL will think they have done it again and within the next 3-4 years somebody is going to be injured worse than MaxPac and the focus will fly right back to the NHL's dealing with Cooke, Richards, Chara etc and they will be crucified with hindsight. It is the way the media works. They attempt to connect things in hindsight to create a narrative of a villain.

Bettman, Campbell, Murphy etc will be that villain with the power of this hindsight.

We see this play out over and over again in sports. The Broad Street Bullies weren't banned, they were copied until the majority of NHL teams were running around like maniacs trying to beat you with fists. The Habs put an end to that chapter and in hindsight people look back at it like everybody was a troglodyte, unfortunately at the time the troglodytes had no mirrors.

Eagleson used smoke and mirrors for 20 years before he had to pay the piper.

Baseball used steroid abuse to bounce back from the lockout and nobody questioned how 165 lb. guys guys were going from 35 career home runs to 50 in a season. They didn't question Barry Bonds hat size growing 5 sizes, they didn't question 70+ HRs or the miraculous 16 year primes of it's stars. When a guy like Ken Griffey Jr. regressed to the normal career arc, his legacy was tarnished because the other 35 year olds were juiced out of their brains. Then when it all comes out the writers start to connect all the dots that existed at the time but were conveniently ignored for profit. Then a villain emerges.

Unfortunately we will not get our pound of flesh today, but it will come some day and at the expense of an unknown victim.

Edited by Wamsley01

From the article:

"Listen, I don't want to get into any controversy," he said. "But if that was Hal Gill that hit David Krejci, I don't think there'd be a protest going on here tonight."

Well I'm certainly glad he said he didn't want to get into any controversy. Hope it works out for ya bud.

We should all keep this in mind for the next time Hal fractures someone's neck.

Edited by BrenDittero

He is right. Gill would have been suspended.

From the article:

"Listen, I don't want to get into any controversy," he said. "But if that was Hall Gill that hit David Krejci, I don't think there'd be a protest going on here tonight."

Well I'm certainly glad he said he didn't want to get into any controversy. Hope it works out for ya bud.

We should all keep this in mind for the next time Hal fractures someone's neck.

Well, the league took a hard look in the mirror, and did nothing. Decided against a ban on head hits.

Keep your head up boys.... This is a man's game. We need fewer rules then football.

Tooting my own horn here, but:

- Crosby on head hits: "I mean, if a guy has enough time to line someone up, then he’s got enough time to decide whether he can hit him in the head or not."

- Me on the Chara hit: "Yet, night in, night out, we watch these players take precise shots, make clean hits and realize amazing dekes with very little time or space afforded to them. But, all of a sudden, we are supposed to accept that such an action was purely in the realm of accidental or incidental contact. It seems unfathomable that an elite player would not be aware of his aggression level and position on the ice."

Tooting my own horn here, but:

- Crosby on head hits: "I mean, if a guy has enough time to line someone up, then he's got enough time to decide whether he can hit him in the head or not."

- Me on the Chara hit: "Yet, night in, night out, we watch these players take precise shots, make clean hits and realize amazing dekes with very little time or space afforded to them. But, all of a sudden, we are supposed to accept that such an action was purely in the realm of accidental or incidental contact. It seems unfathomable that an elite player would not be aware of his aggression level and position on the ice."

Repost your Chara hit comment all you like. Defiantly one of the most concise and insightful of the week.

More Bettman spin control

"By the time the season is over, there will be 55,000 hits, and a small percentage are resulting in concussions,"

How about we go into that 55,000 number, take out only the "headshots" and "blindside" hits and then churn me out a number NHL President douchebag.

And Mr. Big Mouth gets in on the cheap shot action

Edited by Wamsley01

Man, that stuff is tough to watch.

I'm sure many players are involved in stupid moves like this but it's especially anger inducing because it's Boston.

It's anger inducing because the guy was shooting off his mouth about the Canadiens being lippy and "dirty".

It's anger inducing because the guy was shooting off his mouth about the Canadiens being lippy and "dirty".

I'm ok with Marchand shooting off his mouth. It makes him look like a whiner and it's not actually hurting anyone.

The Bruins, as a whole, play dirty and act like 26 year old children when they don't get their way or have a hard time winning.

See you in the first round Marchand, have fun playing golf the first week of May.

I'm ok with Marchand shooting off his mouth. It makes him look like a whiner and it's not actually hurting anyone.

The Bruins, as a whole, play dirty and act like 26 year old children when they don't get their way or have a hard time winning.

See you in the first round Marchand, have fun playing golf the first week of May.

The Bruins love to talk tough about the Habs. Remember, way back when Glen Murray said, prior to a first-round matchup with Montreal, that the Bruins had 'more important things to worry about then the Canadiens' (paraphrasing, but that is esentially what he said).

How did that work out again?

So let me get this straight.. Marchand goes into columbus and elbows a guy in the back of the head, in open ice, with lots of time to react.. no puck..

Why am I not reading about his suspension this morning?

So let me get this straight.. Marchand goes into columbus and elbows a guy in the back of the head, in open ice, with lots of time to react.. no puck..

He plays for the Bruins?

Another hit that Bettman terms "legal" I am sure.

It's a hockey play. No review necesarry.

Yep, elbowing is a penalty, if he was at a different part of the ice it might have been dangerous.

This is never going to get old :lol:

I suspect Jeremy Jacobs took one significant look at the drying ink on Bettman's shiny new 5-year contract, raised his eyebrow, then walked away.

So Heatley gets suspended for a cheap shot on one of this biggest goons in the game Steve Ott.

And Ott has the audacity to say something needs to be done?

I swear you couldn't write this stuff...

In the video from the Marchand hit, Andy Brinkley of NESN describes the hit as "From behind a little bit".

Okay, what then would "From behind a lot" look like? I mean, how could you possibly be more behind a player?

Then the commentators go on to discuss the play as legal because the opposing player had the puck, so it wasn't interference. The league takes about fining players, owners, coaches. I say we should also fine the NESN broadcast team.

P.S For those of you who wish to hear this scintillating description:

In the video from the Marchand hit, Andy Brinkley of NESN describes the hit as "From behind a little bit".

Okay, what then would "From behind a lot" look like? I mean, how could you possibly be more behind a player?

Then the commentators go on to discuss the play as legal because the opposing player had the puck, so it wasn't interference. The league takes about fining players, owners, coaches. I say we should also fine the NESN broadcast team.

P.S For those of you who wish to hear this scintillating description:

Agreed. It's either a hit from in front, side on or behind.

A hit " a little bit from behind " is like rear ending someone in your car but claiming nothing bad happened because you only hit them a little bit.

When you listen to the clip I think it's pretty easy to tell he knows he's grasping at straws.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=358396

Marchand ended up getting a two game suspension for the hit on Umburger.

Though he did have this to say:

"I did get him in the head," he said. "That wasn't my intention. I was just trying to make contact. That stuff happens in hockey. It's a rough sport.