Chara non-suspension talk

dlbalr

18 members have voted

1. 1. How many games, if any, will Chara get?

• 5+

It's only foolish if nobody else joins the cause. If it mushrooms then Air Canada becomes the catalyst for change and gets credit for saving the NHL. That is why leadership is harder than it looks. Leadership requires you to take chances and stand for what you believe in even in the midst of criticism or stress. Sitting it out is easy.

Anybody can sit there and complain and do nothing. Look at this messageboard for proof.

Bettman nailed it : we're gonna find another airline carrier. If Air Canada protest along with some kind of North America Airlines Association (don't know if anything like this exists), then you have some power, but alone, it weights very little.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard in an interview that Chara get's his suits here in Montreal, as we're known for fashion. I know, off topic, but what else can be said? Also, I'll quote Bobby Dollas for a second time on Habsworld, in case you didn't hear. He said yesterday that he's directed players into the turnbuckle many times in his career. Of course Chara knew what he was doing. In my opinion it's like Chara hit the jackpot, the player he was gunning for was perfectly lined up to nail. You hit to hurt. Not injure, but hurt.

Edited by Habsy

Just out of curiosity, what should the people of this message board do?

What have you done?

This is not meant to be a smart ass comment.

In fairness, I think insightful articles, comments, discussions (like we have here) can only help further the cause of modifying this culture of acceptable violence. I have spent the better part of the week debating with those who found the Chara hit to be nothing more than a 'hockey play' and if my words can sway a mind ever so slightly, good. I suspect many here have done the same.

I realize we are all here because we are passionate Habs fans, but I will also venture a guess that we love the sport of Hockey just as much. We are concerned about the well-being of our favourite sport, an integral part of Canadian culture and something I hope my (future) kids will be able to play. We must continue to intelligently express our discontent with a culture that has allowed Pacioretty to get damn-near killed, Don Sanderson to die in a hockey fight, the game to lose its best player to a concussion.

Bettman nailed it : we're gonna find another airline carrier. If Air Canada protest along with some kind of North America Airlines Association (don't know if anything like this exists), then you have some power, but alone, it weights very little.

Bettman is being far too arrogant. He has managed to tick off the city of Montreal, Parliament, Air Canada and Molson in a matter of not even seven days. Good business...

In fairness, I think insightful articles, comments, discussions (like we have here) can only help further the cause of modifying this culture of acceptable violence. I have spent the better part of the week debating with those who found the Chara hit to be nothing more than a 'hockey play' and if my words can sway a mind ever so slightly, good. I suspect many here have done the same.

I realize we are all here because we are passionate Habs fans, but I will also venture a guess that we love the sport of Hockey just as much. We are concerned about the well-being of our favourite sport, an integral part of Canadian culture and something I hope my (future) kids will be able to play. We must continue to intelligently express our discontent with a culture that has allowed Pacioretty to get damn-near killed, Don Sanderson to die in a hockey fight, the game to lose its best player to a concussion.

I'm in complete agreement with you. We must continue to express our discontent with the way the game is being run. With fans, friends and business that has a stake in the NHL.

The contributors to this forum have have written some of the most thoughtful and well stated pieces I have seen so far in regard to the Pacioretty hit and the decline of the NHL as a business.

What I was originally responding to was a post that, to me, suggested that we need to take action. It's possible that I've misinterpreted the language used, but I will say that I found the statement hard to swallow.

I was, and stlll am, curious about what the OP suggests we do.

I love the game and have my made position on that clear in the " do you find yourself not caring" thread.

Edited by BrenDittero

From the game thread I originally posted too... Ron Wilson made comments at the intermission of the habs/pens games... on the Chara hit..

Wow.. Ron wilson.. what a moron.. he is comparing what happen to Pacs to getting hit by a puck.. just wow...

I agree with one thing, we don't need to change the rules for this. Just start suspending guys for taking cheap shots on guys that end up in injuries. Chara did not rub out a player with a body check, he shoved a guy not in the play from behind into the available hard object...

The whole discussion of this hit really comes down to that.. the apologist keep saying this was a clean check, while the video clearly shows it was A) interference, B) completely unnecessary due to the way the play was, and C) not a check ,but a shove with arm extension to the back of the player.

I don't think I am even going to watch the CBC tonight.. they are lining up that this was some kind of unpreventable accident on a good play.:(

From the game thread I originally posted too... Ron Wilson made comments at the intermission of the habs/pens games... on the Chara hit..

Wow.. Ron wilson.. what a moron.. he is comparing what happen to Pacs to getting hit by a puck.. just wow...

I agree with one thing, we don't need to change the rules for this. Just start suspending guys for taking cheap shots on guys that end up in injuries. Chara did not rub out a player with a body check, he shoved a guy not in the play from behind into the available hard object...

The whole discussion of this hit really comes down to that.. the apologist keep saying this was a clean check, while the video clearly shows it was A) interference, B) completely unnecessary due to the way the play was, and C) not a check ,but a shove with arm extension to the back of the player.

I don't think I am even going to watch the CBC tonight.. they are lining up that this was some kind of unpreventable accident on a good play.:(

It was also a head shot. It seems most people saying it was a hockey play don't realize that Chara drove Max into the post by the head, not by the shoulder.

In short, during the 2010-11 NHL season, here is what I have learned.

This is disrespectful:

This is a hockey play: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1enycgSIWJ4

Of course. Makes perfect sense.

It does make perferct sense for those that subscribe to the "hockey code".

Could you send me a copy of the "Code"? I put mine in the drier by accident.

I lent my copy to Georges Laraque. He never gave it back. :(

Could you send me a copy of the "Code"? I put mine in the drier by accident.

I don't subscribe, but i think it probably has a picture of Cherry, Milbury and Burke on the cover :D

As a citizen of the metro-Montreal area, and a proud Quebecer and Canadian, I wish the law hadn't got involved. There, I said it. It might not be a popular opinion on this board, but wow, this province has more imprtant issues to waste tax payer dollars on.

I agree. I don't think the law should have come into this, and they haven't yet. They were looking into it.

The league is the one who has to step up and police this. They won't, but the police are not going to help. The sponsors will do more to put pressure on then anyone, no matter what Butthead says in public.

As a citizen of the metro-Montreal area, and a proud Quebecer and Canadian, I wish the law hadn't got involved. There, I said it. It might not be a popular opinion on this board, but wow, this province has more imprtant issues to waste tax payer dollars on.

In short, during the 2010-11 NHL season, here is what I have learned.

This is disrespectful:

This is a hockey play: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=1enycgSIWJ4

Of course. Makes perfect sense.

JoeLassister's Post of the Year 2011 , candidate # 1 !!! :clap:

Tell you the truth, it doubt that the law will do anything about it.

Well, Don Cherry was as predictable as ever.. Outraged at the damn francophones trying to villianize poor Chara.. it was the crappy rink.

Meanwhile, Crosby's hit was by a guy who "knew exactly what he was doing".

Did we really expect him to come out and say "Chara knew what he was doing, should have been suspended."

Well, Don Cherry was as predictable as ever.. Outraged at the damn francophones trying to villianize poor Chara.. it was the crappy rink.

Did we really expect him to come out and say "Chara knew what he was doing, should have been suspended."

In all honesty, how can you blame Don? His two favourite teams are the bruins and leafs, two teams that have been irrelevant for 40 years. Two teams that the worlds most famous hockey team, The Montreal Canadiens, have dominated for basically my entire 39 years of living. Just imagine selecting those two pathetic franchises as your faves. I feel sorry for that old man.

In all honesty, how can you blame Don? His two favourite teams are the bruins and leafs, two teams that have been irrelevant for 40 years. Two teams that the worlds most famous hockey team, The Montreal Canadiens, have dominated for basically my entire 39 years of living. Just imagine selecting those two pathetic franchises as your faves. I feel sorry for that old man.

What pisses me off about the CBC, is that there is ABSOLUTELY NO discussion on past history regarding possible intent to give context to the hit.

I loved comparing the hit to taking a shot to the head. Well, i guess i was right to ask the habs to take a friggin slap shot to Chara and Lucic's head - nothing wrong with that!!

I guess that should be our game plan for March 24 - take slap shot at Lucic's and Chara's head - why not that is an acceptable hockey play!!

Edited by hab29RETIRED

I didn't catch the segment, but this sounds as a pathetic comment from the CBC crew.

The francophone thing is nonsense. So everything we say is because we're francophone biased and dumb? wow

First off, Pax is an American from Connecticut. He is not even an established Habs star. And yet, we care and we won't let this go.