Non-Rocket Habs Prospect tracker

Commandant

Bit on Euro kids and Bogdan's play in his KHL playoff game 2OT loss.

Euro Habs Prospects: Filip Eriksson “a smart pick by Montreal” (habseyesontheprize.com)

"Bogdan was part of the build-up to the first goal, and he got a secondary assist on the second. He was on the ice for the late equalizer, but wasn’t at all to blame for the goal. However, he was turned inside out by Vasily Glotov for the overtime winner. There are mitigating factors though, he had played over 37-and-a-half minutes when the goal happened, second only to Alexander Nikishin of SKA among all skaters on the ice. Still, it wasn’t Connor McDavid putting on the afterburners. Again it was his skating that caused a problem. He extended too far out on his backhand side and couldn’t accelerate in order to recover his position."

Vinzenz Rohrer talks about his season and future - Habs Eyes on the Prize

Scott Wheeler of the Athletic ranked Fowler as third-best goalie prospect in the NHL, behind only Wallstedt and Askarov (and ahead of Knight and Levi).

Fowler has established himself as one of the top goalie prospects in the sport with his play over the last three seasons. That started when he was named to the USHL’s All-Rookie Second Team two years ago and its First All-Star Team last year after leading the league in both save percentage and goals-against average. It has been stamped this year with a stellar freshman year at BC that has seen him play virtually every minute behind arguably the best team in the country (and while the team in front of him helps, their strength is most pronounced at forward and he has stolen some games). (I should note that I’ve seen him look just OK with Team USA both in Gothenburg at the world juniors and Plymouth at the World Junior Summer Showcase, but he was also excellent at the World Jr. A Challenge.)

He’s the kind of goalie who if he can see a shot and move to it, he’s going to stop it.

He’s got work to do on some other things (conditioning/fitness, less business on scrambles, losing his posts at times) but he worked hard to cut some weight last summer, seems committed to staying in better shape, and has so many clear tools, highlighted by good hands, an ability to take space away through square angles and sound positioning, great tracking/reads, legitimate power/movement and a knack for making huge pad saves/stopping high-danger chances. He’s got a legitimate shot not just to be an NHL goaltender but to be a very good one, and there aren’t many goalies his age (or even a little older) I’m comfortable saying that about.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Scott Wheeler of the Athletic ranked Fowler as third-best goalie prospect in the NHL, behind only Wallstedt and Askarov (and ahead of Knight and Levi).

Dont get too excited, Primeau had similar NCAA numbers and we all know goalies are an odd bunch. I still remember Craig Button going all GaGa over Zach Fucale; who played all of 4 NHL games.

37 minutes ago, DON said:

Dont get too excited, Primeau had similar NCAA numbers and we all know goalies are an odd bunch. I still remember Craig Button going all GaGa over Zach Fucale; who played all of 4 NHL games.

yeap! I remember that

1 hour ago, DON said:

Definitely voodoo. And no one expected Lindgren to play 90+ games in the NHL, either.

That said, having Fowler ranked third is still encouraging. Hopefully this time the voodoo is on our side.

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Definitely voodoo. And no one expected Lindgren to play 90+ games in the NHL, either.

That said, having Fowler ranked third is still encouraging. Hopefully this time the voodoo is on our side.

Yeah being 3rd is a hell of a lot better than being 47th 🤔

And just way too early to tell much, Primeau's numbers were slightly better and now we are hoping he will become a capable NHL back-up, but is great to see Fowler 26-5-1 and hope he finishes season strong. 

image.png

Fowler

image.png

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, DON said:

2023-24 HabsWorld Prospect Rankings – HabsWorld.net

Some risers, with Smilanic being biggest faller (from Chiarot trade, didnt pan out).

image.png

Mesar 2a vs Guindon 0pts

Beck/Xhekaj 0pts

Kapanen 1a

Riley Kidney ahead of Jayden Struble?  Really? 

4 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Riley Kidney ahead of Jayden Struble?  Really? 

I believe Brian wrote these in the fall, before Struble was called up.

14 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I believe Brian wrote these in the fall, before Struble was called up.

Yes, as was noted in the article.  Obviously, it would be different now.   I was still hoping as of a few weeks ago to get the full write-ups done like normal but realized it wasn't going to happen.  So rather than sit on them any longer, I figured I'd get them up before the deadline.  I'm going to have to figure out a different way to do these moving forward.

I had hopes that Kidney would be able to contribute fairly quickly this season which factored into that rating.  I've been higher on Struble than other sites in the past but since he was coming off a tough senior year, I didn't see cause to move him up but didn't want to drop him either which is how he wound up staying where he was.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Yes, as was noted in the article.  Obviously, it would be different now.   I was still hoping as of a few weeks ago to get the full write-ups done like normal but realized it wasn't going to happen.  So rather than sit on them any longer, I figured I'd get them up before the deadline.  I'm going to have to figure out a different way to do these moving forward.

I had hopes that Kidney would be able to contribute fairly quickly this season which factored into that rating.  I've been higher on Struble than other sites in the past but since he was coming off a tough senior year, I didn't see cause to move him up but didn't want to drop him either which is how he wound up staying where he was.

Thanks for the clarification, I didn't realize it was from before the season started. Certainly Struble would be higher today. 

Hutson 2a

Engstrom 1g (4g 20pts 18:25 46gms)

Bogdan 0pts 22:17, down 3-1 in KHL playoff series

Volokhin 1g 23shot SO loss MHL playoffs

On 3/6/2024 at 7:20 AM, DON said:

And just way too early to tell much, Primeau's numbers were slightly better and now we are hoping he will become a capable NHL back-up, but is great to see Fowler 26-5-1 and hope he finishes season strong. 

image.png

Fowler

image.png

Yevgeni Dmitrievich Volokhin - Habs Prospects

Kuznetskie Medvedi at Mamonty Ugry 7:00 am - MHL First Round (best-of-5) (Medvedi leads series 1-0) - Watch online

Yevgeni Volokhin -

Volokhin had nice season in the MHL, not sure quality of that league but nice numbers;

MHL Total:
31 48 1837:47 774 22-4-4 1,57

Bulldogs lose in Xhekaj's 1st game of his suspension. Sobolev 1a

Mesar 1a 1 shot 6/13 in a 9-5 win.

Beck 1g 6 shots 3/8

Kapanen 1a 20:03

Eriksson 1g1a 17:33

Bogdan 0pts 24:33, end of KHL playoffs for him & Torpedo. 5gms 1pt.

Engstrom 1a 16:55; 21pts in 50gms SHL

Kapanen 1a 23:15; 34pts in 50gms Liiga 

Fowler 'didnt play'; injured, sick or just back-up?

9 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

He is the fourth NCAA defenceman since 2005-06 to have multiple 40-point seasons.  Of the four, he's the only one to do it in his first two seasons.

When is the earliest Hutson and Reinbacher can come over? Can either also be loaned to Laval?

4 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

When is the earliest Hutson and Reinbacher can come over? Can either also be loaned to Laval?

They can both come when their seasons end.  Reinbacher's fate is tied to whether his team needs to play in a relegation series.  If not, I think it could be late this week.  If they do, closer to the end of the month.  Hutson's will be dependent on when his team finishes in the Frozen Four tournament.  It starts March 28th and ends April 13th.

Reinbacher can (and almost certainly will) be loaned to Laval.  If Hutson signs a contract that begins next season, he can also go to Laval.  If he signs and burns the first year now, he won't be able to go to the Rocket, similar to Farrell last season.

Two others to watch for prospect-wise to come over somewhat soon are Adam Engstrom and Oliver Kapanen, players who I expect will sign ELC's for next season.  Their regular seasons end soon (SHL on Monday, Liiga on Tuesday) so it'll be dependent on their playoffs as well.

Will Tuch be signed?

Guindon 2g1a 1st star of game

Sobolev 1g/Xhekaj missed the 2nd game of suspension

12 minutes ago, DON said:

Will Tuch be signed?

Guindon 2g1a 1st star of game

Sobolev 1g/Xhekaj missed the 2nd game of suspension

AHL try-out for now?

2 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

AHL try-out for now?

Not much reason for him to take an AHL ATO and risk injury when he can hit free agency in August and have several teams offer him an entry-level contract.  It'll take an NHL deal, perhaps one starting this year, to get him to sign.  And I'd give it to him.

9 hours ago, dlbalr said:

They can both come when their seasons end.  Reinbacher's fate is tied to whether his team needs to play in a relegation series.  If not, I think it could be late this week.  If they do, closer to the end of the month.  Hutson's will be dependent on when his team finishes in the Frozen Four tournament.  It starts March 28th and ends April 13th.

Reinbacher can (and almost certainly will) be loaned to Laval.  If Hutson signs a contract that begins next season, he can also go to Laval.  If he signs and burns the first year now, he won't be able to go to the Rocket, similar to Farrell last season.

Two others to watch for prospect-wise to come over somewhat soon are Adam Engstrom and Oliver Kapanen, players who I expect will sign ELC's for next season.  Their regular seasons end soon (SHL on Monday, Liiga on Tuesday) so it'll be dependent on their playoffs as well.

Thanks!

Tuch isnt much of a prospect, is he?

He seems like he can forecheck and be physical, but thats about it isnt it?