Non-Rocket Habs Prospect tracker

Commandant

Journal de Montreal article on which draft picks the Habs will be signing:

SOON:

Adam Engstrom
But may not make it to Laval this season, depending on how his SHL team (Rögle) does in the playoffs

Lane Hutson
Even if BU makes it to the Championship game, Hutson could sign and play in one or both of the final two games of the season with the Habs. 

Luke Tuch
This one surprises me slightly in that his offensive progression has been modest but he his size/physicality may translate well to the pros, albeit in a grinder role, that the Habs may see as a need.

SOON... or ... NEXT SEASON (i.e., not using a 23/24 contract slot)
The contract slot could a factor to allow freedom to make trades before July 1st ... the Habs currently have 5 available ... for that reason, I would slide Tuch into this category ... if Engstrom can't join Laval for their playoff run/playoffs I wudl slide him in this group as well.

Oliver Kapanen
Habs could wait until June 2025, but his production as a 20-yr-old in a mens league has been solid (tied for 50th in scoring), he has also shown a strong all-round game ... he has had a strong playoff thus far (9pts, 4g in 6 games) ... but another year in the SM-liiga might fit both his and the organization's needs.

MAYBE

Cédrick Guindon
Habs have until June 1st to sign him or lose his rights ... his stats didn't take a big jump from his draft year and have now regressed slightly from last year ... may be a candidate for an AHL contact.

Jared Davidson
Also needs to be signed by June 1st ... his occasional flashes in Laval this season may not be enough for an NHL contract but they may extend another AHL offer.

Miguël Tourigny
Another June 1st deadline ... spent the season in Trois Rivieres ... likely at most an AHL contract

LIKELY BYE-BYE-BYE

Petteri Nurmi
Another June 1st deadline ... 2022 7th rounder (194th) 

Blake Biondi
As an NCAA player, Habs have until August 15th to sign him ... 2020 4th rounder (109th) out of high-school ... his second/sophomore season was promising, but his production has regressed ... last season he played through a left shoulder injury until mid-season when a right-shoulder injury ended his year and he had surgery on both ... slight uptake in production this season ... how much was recovery from the surgeries a factor ... but with the Habs depth in D-prospects there seems little urgency to sign him ... but RHD depth might be a factor in offering an AHL contract

NOTE: Italicized text taken from Journal article, non-italicized my comments

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Luke Tuch
This one surprises me slightly in that his offensive progression has been modest but he his size/physicality may translate well to the pros, albeit in a grinder role, that the Habs may see as a need.

SOON... or ... NEXT SEASON (i.e., not using a 23/24 contract slot)
The contract slot could a factor to allow freedom to make trades before July 1st ... the Habs currently have 5 available ... for that reason, I would slide Tuch into this category ... if Engstrom can't join Laval for their playoff run/playoffs I wudl slide him in this group as well.

Oliver Kapanen
Habs could wait until June 2025, but his production as a 20-yr-old in a mens league has been solid (tied for 50th in scoring), he has also shown a strong all-round game ... he has had a strong playoff thus far (9pts, 4g in 6 games) ... but another year in the SM-liiga might fit both his and the organization's needs.

Blake Biondi
As an NCAA player, Habs have until August 15th to sign him ... 2020 4th rounder (109th) out of high-school ... his second/sophomore season was promising, but his production has regressed ... last season he played through a left shoulder injury until mid-season when a right-shoulder injury ended his year and he had surgery on both ... slight uptake in production this season ... how much was recovery from the surgeries a factor ... but with the Habs depth in D-prospects there seems little urgency to sign him ... but RHD depth might be a factor in offering an AHL contract

NOTE: Italicized text taken from Journal article, non-italicized my comments

Tuch is a player whose style is better for the pros than college.  They'd be crazy not to try to sign him.  He's a legitimate NHL prospect, albeit a low ceiling.

Kapanen - I don't think he'll be in Finland.  He'll either go to the SHL (one team is believed to be ready to make an offer) which is a bit of a stronger league or North America.

Biondi is a forward, not a d-man.  Also, while it wasn't mentioned in the article, he opted for a fifth college season last week so the deadline doesn't apply to him.

Mid 2nd period - Lane Hutson 1g1a , up 3-1 

Sam Harris 0pts 3 shots in Denver's 2-1 win

7 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Tuch is a player whose style is better for the pros than college.  They'd be crazy not to try to sign him.  He's a legitimate NHL prospect, albeit a low ceiling.

My surprise with Tuch was more so with the "sign him soon" if they have any plan(s) for the contract slots before July 1st ... I agree he is a player who may well be better suited to the pros ... my guess is 3rd liner is his ceiling, solid 4th liner a decent likelihood.

Beck 3a 2 shots 14/26 2nd star of game (FWIW- Parekh 3a 5shots also); Win 6-4

Guindon 1g 1 shot 14/28

No. 2 Terriers Double Up No. 17/18 RIT, 6-3, in NCAA Regionals - Boston University Athletics (goterriers.com)

"The Terriers, now 27-9-2 on the year, move on to Saturday's regional final for a spot in the Frozen Four. They will face second-seeded and seventh-ranked Minnesota at 6:30 on ESPNU.

Hobey Baker finalists Lane Hutson and Macklin Celebrini each tallied a goal and an assist for the Terriers,...

Hutson gave the Terriers the relief they needed after the uneasy start when he took a cross-slot pass and deked a pair of Tigers, giving him a wide-open backhand chance in front of the net that he buried 11:56 into the contest."

Habs Prospects

KalPa Kuopio at Ilves Tampere 12:30 pm - Liiga Quarter Final (best-of-7) (KalPa leads series 3-1)

Oliver Kapanen -

Ottawa 67's at Brantford Bulldogs 7:00 pm - OHL First Round (best-of-7)

Daniil Sobolev -
Florian Xhekaj -

Erie Otters at Kitchener Rangers 7:00 pm - OHL First Round (best-of-7)

Filip Mešár -

Michigan Technological University vs Boston College 2:00 pm - NCAA East Regional Semi Final (single-elimination game) - Providence, Rhode Island

Jacob Fowler -

Fowler 1g 24 shot Win

Kapanen 1g 13:42 in win; series over 4-1

Xhekaj 0pts 5 shots 5/10 end of 2nd

Sobolev 1a

Mesar 1a 6/11 end of 2nd

Beck vs Guindon again today.

A Hab prospect filled NCAA game also.

University of Minnesota vs Boston University 6:30 pm - NCAA West Regional Final (single-elimination game) - Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Luke Mittelstadt -
Rhett Pitlick -
Lane Hutson -
Luke Tuch -

Hutson gets the winner as Boston University moves to the Frozen Four.  That means the earliest they'll be eliminated is now April 11th since they don't want to go up against the NCAA Final Four. 

Hutson 1g 3 shots in 6-3 win (Celebrini 3a); Mittelstadt/Pitlick 1a

Harris 1g GWG, Denver knocks off Cornell

Beck 1g2a 4shots 6/13; Guindon 1a 6/10,  end of 2nd period

Beck 1st star of game,  6 points in 1st 2 games of series.

Hutson, with similar stats to last year, other than 7 of 15g was on the PP (Celebrini effect?).

As dlbalr mentioned, he dosent play again till April 11th.

image.png

On 3/30/2024 at 8:54 PM, dlbalr said:

Hutson gets the winner as Boston University moves to the Frozen Four.  That means the earliest they'll be eliminated is now April 11th since they don't want to go up against the NCAA Final Four. 

The final four is Saturday/Monday

I dont understand why they dont play Friday/Sunday.

5 hours ago, Commandant said:

The final four is Saturday/Monday

I dont understand why they dont play Friday/Sunday.

My guess is because of the overlap with NCAA Men’s basketball. 

Still pissed Quinnipiac lost in OT. 

3 hours ago, Helmethead said:

My guess is because of the overlap with NCAA Men’s basketball. 

Still pissed Quinnipiac lost in OT. 

Again... the basketball games will be Saturday (semis) and Monday (final)

There js no overlap if they played Friday (semis) and Sunday (final)

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

I expect the ESPN just wants a "weekend to its own" ... Frozen Four would get overshadowed by Final Four amongst the more casual viewers.

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

It's early but look who is leading the OHL in playoff scoring. Maybe that will put a certain "ticked off" poster in a better mood. 

OHL 2024 Playoffs Official Statistics (chl.ca)

that made my day :)

Thanks, buddy!

9 hours ago, Commandant said:

Or start the season a week earlier and have this past weekend be the actual Frozen Four.  That makes plenty of sense to me as well.

10 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

that made my day :)

Thanks, buddy!

I didn't know you were a Mesar fan! 😂😂😂