Injury news

Commandant

Is it starting to look like MB has to make a deal soon? Unless, by some stroke of luck, the two young D-men step in and deliver? Our D are dropping like flies and this could be trouble

Not yet. If anything, this will provide them with a look to see where Tinordi/Pateryn are to see if they need to add more depth for the playoffs.

Gonchar has been placed on IR. This rules him out for not only tonight's game but Saturday's as well.

I think maybe Bergevin is looking to upgrade the defense, but not necessarily the depth defense, he's looking for a top 4...

Hoping Tinordi comes up and seizes the day!

Emelin reportedly will not require surgery but may miss up to 6 weeks with a right shoulder injury. Still unofficial but that seems to be what's floating around.

Sportsnet is saying 6 weeks...

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/report-canadiens-emelin-miss-six-weeks/

I would bet money that emelin is an ac separation. 6 weeks is about right.

Semantics, but separation is when then ligament is torn = surgery. Dislocation is more likely what he has. Severe dislocation is still surgery because it quite often also means separation, but more likely he's just stretched and pulled and damaged all the ligaments, tendons and muscles. I know this because I did it last Wednesday night.

Semantics, but separation is when then ligament is torn = surgery. Dislocation is more likely what he has. Severe dislocation is still surgery because it quite often also means separation, but more likely he's just stretched and pulled and damaged all the ligaments, tendons and muscles. I know this because I did it last Wednesday night.

And very painfull

I had a separation. No surgery. Healed in about 6 weeks.

This is the biggest chance of Tinordi's career so far. I hope he capitalizes on it.

More likely, MB will make a deal for a veteran defenceman to plug the hole, leaving Tinordi to fight for the spot. This will be met by howls of outrage from fans who think rookies should automatically have spots handed to them and believe that it's a grand idea to hand key roster spots to rookies in the playoffs.

This is the biggest chance of Tinordi's career so far. I hope he capitalizes on it.

More likely, MB will make a deal for a veteran defenceman to plug the hole, leaving Tinordi to fight for the spot. This will be met by howls of outrage from fans who think rookies should automatically have spots handed to them and believe that it's a grand idea to hand key roster spots to rookies in the playoffs.

I have no knowledge of it but I think Bergevin might have looked at Tinordi's game last night and took his finger off the trigger for a defenceman deal. I think he's gonna wait for the Western conference swing to see how Tinordi looks and if it's not enough? A trade will happen. If it's enough? We can focus on sprucing up the offence.

I have no knowledge of it but I think Bergevin might have looked at Tinordi's game last night and took his finger off the trigger for a defenceman deal. I think he's gonna wait for the Western conference swing to see how Tinordi looks and if it's not enough? A trade will happen. If it's enough? We can focus on sprucing up the offence.

I may be exaggerating MB's conservatism. Certainly, if Tinordi is rock-solid for game after game, that would be fantastic; but it would need to be measured against MB's overall assessment of Tinordi's readiness, an assessment that is informed by observing the player for months prior to the call-up. If MB was skeptical before the call-up, I doubt the small sample size prior to the trade deadline will be sufficient to change his mind. After all, this team has a legitimate chance to make the Finals. You don't want that put at risk because Tinordi looked good for four games.

That said, it'd also depend on the cost of acquiring an Emelin replacement. If I'm Zoot Suit, I'm not giving up a high pick or a valuable prospect to paper over an injury, just because I have doubts about Tinordi. So, lots of variables. But I would not be a bit surprised if a modest-cost veteran defensive defenceman is added at the deadline; think in terms of an upgrade on Allen, who will then give the team options should Tinordi falter.

I think MB's trigger won't change no matter what Tinordi, Pateryn or Beaulieu do. If they work themselves into the lineup, then fantastic. If not, we have cover. I don't think the upgrade is on them - they are what they are: rookies continually (hopefully) improving their craft. Now, Weaver and Gilbert on the other hand..... That's where the upgrade will really be seen.

I think MB's trigger won't change no matter what Tinordi, Pateryn or Beaulieu do. If they work themselves into the lineup, then fantastic. If not, we have cover. I don't think the upgrade is on them - they are what they are: rookies continually (hopefully) improving their craft. Now, Weaver and Gilbert on the other hand..... That's where the upgrade will really be seen.

Bergevin is clearly working the phones. I just feel once Gonchar and Emelin went down he would have been ready to make a big deal for a guy like Mike Green (who would eat away any available cap for a forward upgrade) instead of a smaller deal for depth that might just sit and not bump a younger D (like, random name, Colaiacovo).

Doubt his play last night changed anything in the least, he had some good stuff and also some bad miscues with puck. He did 'fine' against a relatively weak team (with awesome goalie).

agree

Guest Stogey24

exactly, a rookie coming up and have a couple good games isn't going to change things. Gilbert is so unreliable with Puck and to me Markov has looked a litttle sluggish the past couple games. They need a guy who can come in and pick up some decent minutes

exactly, a rookie coming up and have a couple good games isn't going to change things. Gilbert is so unreliable with Puck and to me Markov has looked a litttle sluggish the past couple games. They need a guy who can come in and pick up some decent minutes

Yep, Bergevin is looking for a top 4 D if possible, and that would push all current Habs defensemen down the depth chart, except of course the top two, and maybe Beaulieu...

chris phillips anyone?

He's fallen to the fringes of the lineup in Ottawa and has another year at $2.5 M after this. That's an expensive #7 for next year (unless he jumps over two of Markov, Emelin, Beaulieu, or Tinordi which isn't going to happen). I'd stay away.