Injury news

Commandant

Oh, I agree that he has stunk out the joint this season. But I also think that it's silly to throw away a player based on one bad season, let alone 35 games. It reminds me of when Habs fans were happy to ride Recchi out of town (which Houle proceeded to do) because he had foolishly tried to play through pnuemonia and consequently had a horrific half-season in 1998-99. You have to look at the bigger picture. Cammy has proven that he can produce at an elite level in the NHL. If you look at his career stats, you see that when he has been healthy, as he was in 06-07 and 08-09, he is easily a 30-goal scorer and a PPG player. He does struggle with injuries, though his first year with us had him again on a pace for 30+ goals. He is also deadly playoff performer.

I think Cammalleri's time with us has been marred by his obvious dislike of Jacques Martin's system. It's telling that the gung-ho positive energy he projected in his first season here evaporated after the pro-Martin camp led by Gill and Gorges had clearly carried the day. He has also been hurt by injuries, as noted above, and also by the loss of Markov, whose power-play skills were a major reason he came here in the first place. He himself says his game thrives on a good puck-distributor on the PP (although now that Kaberle is here that excuse has run out).

True, his defensive game is questionable and his physical play non-existent. But that is fairly typical of goal-scorers. If you're looking for a complementary player of the 'sniper' variety, Cammy remains an elite player of his type. If you can't get more than a lower first-rounder for him then you're probably better off keeping him around. He is certainly as good or better than a 20th-overall pick is likely to be.

You are right and I would just hate seeing him score in bunches somewhere else.

I just hope this is injury related and does not have anything to do with attitude.

He is the best goal scorer the Habs have had since Kovalev and it would be easy to argue he is better.

With a healthy team who knows how they do this year but those excuses are for losers. Great teams have guys step up when others are hurt, the problem with the Habs is they are only a very good team when everyone is healthy not a GREAT team all the time.

Pacioretty missed practice with the flu.

Gomez is fully practicing and to keep the lines together they just threw Gomez on LW on Patches line.

Cunneyworth says Gomez should return "soon".

He also said that Gomez was a top 6 forward...

Gomez if he pays like last year is a top 6 forward on a bottom 5 team.

Gomez can't go further down than he is now. It's impossible. He should be replenished by now and ready to make an impact. With Plekanec and Cammy not performing as they should, Gomez's return can only be benefitial, especially if Gionta returns as well and they put an energic winger (healthy Pax) with them.

Gomez can't go further down than he is now. It's impossible. He should be replenished by now and ready to make an impact. With Plekanec and Cammy not performing as they should, Gomez's return can only be benefitial, especially if Gionta returns as well and they put an energic winger (healthy Pax) with them.

Gionta played last game.

Agree though I was just messing around I like to pretend to pick on Gomez.

Fact is if he can play like 2 years ago the team is a LOT better with him than without him.

Gionta played last game.

Agree though I was just messing around I like to pretend to pick on Gomez.

Fact is if he can play like 2 years ago the team is a LOT better with him than without him.

+1. Like I always say, there are TWO Scott Gomezes - the guy from last year, and the guy from every year before that. The haters sometimes like to obscure the difference, just as they like to pretend that he is supposed to be a goal scorer, then use his tiny goals-scored totals as proof of his worthlessness. But the Gomez prior to 2010-11 is a bloody good playmaker and rushing forward, a real asset, even if his salary is ridiculous.

you want gomez to get going? i said it since game#1.... put that beast on his wing (cole) and that pint sized energy bug (gionta) on the other side and ride the wave my friends.... the all american line

gionta-gomez -cole

(DD)- plex- pacioretty

(camm)- eller- kosty

moen- white- blunden

you want gomez to get going? i said it since game#1.... put that beast on his wing (cole) and that pint sized energy bug (gionta) on the other side and ride the wave my friends.... the all american line

gionta-gomez -cole

(DD)- plex- pacioretty

(camm)- eller- kosty

moen- noki- white

Break up Eller, AK and Moen with the way they have been playing?

No, but he's right about Cole/Gomez/Gio. Just imagining the speed on that line makes me dizzy!

Cole and Gio are both more effective at RW though.. the way Cole protects the puck on his off wing is a huge strength of his.

No, but he's right about Cole/Gomez/Gio. Just imagining the speed on that line makes me dizzy!

Cole and Gio both own right wing. Who plays left wing?

Edit. Oops didnt see the comandent post saying the exact same ting

It's actually a really interesting question: what line do you break up when Gomez is healthy?

If the Moen - Eller - Kostitsyn line is untouchable, and Gionta is finally moved away from Plekanec, then someone skilled is dropping to the 4th line...

Is it Gomez (maybe at least initially)?

Cammalleri - Plekanec - Cole

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Gionta

Moen - Eller - Kostitsyn

Darche - Gomez - Nokelainen

Blunden

Make him earn a better line.

It's actually a really interesting question: what line do you break up when Gomez is healthy?

If the Moen - Eller - Kostitsyn line is untouchable, and Gionta is finally moved away from Plekanec, then someone skilled is dropping to the 4th line...

Is it Gomez (maybe at least initially)?

Cammalleri - Plekanec - Cole

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Gionta

Moen - Eller - Kostitsyn

Darche - Gomez - Nokelainen

Blunden

Make him earn a better line.

Moen really is doing a good job of keeping himself in the top six.

cole.... the way he's going right now can play any where even D lol!!!

fact: erik cole shoots left and plays on the right

brian gionta shoots right and plays on the right

they can both play there off wing gio gomez cole

or play there proper wing cole gomez gio

**dont tell me it cant happen... their NHL hockey players and this is not defence

either way i believe it will work

moen eller kosty are playing great. my opinion is that anybody can go into that spot and play well. AK is running over guys as well as dangling people with the puck and setting up goal chances. eller is shutting down lines and turning up the notch offensively. moen has filled in well in this spot but so did a rookie (leBlanc) albeit for a short stint.

i think as all players return. he will be pushed down to play with white cause gomez will not get going with blunden and darche.

speaking of blunden. upon white's return what happens with darche? does randy pull the plug on him and really send the french media into cardiac a rest!

id put white back to center and flank him with blunden and moen

those are my lines and what id do...

cole.... the way he's going right now can play any where even D lol!!!

fact: erik cole shoots left and plays on the right

brian gionta shoots right and plays on the right

they can both play there off wing gio gomez cole

or play there proper wing cole gomez gio

**dont tell me it cant happen... their NHL hockey players and this is not defence

either way i believe it will work

moen eller kosty are playing great. my opinion is that anybody can go into that spot and play well. AK is running over guys as well as dangling people with the puck and setting up goal chances. eller is shutting down lines and turning up the notch offensively. moen has filled in well in this spot but so did a rookie (leBlanc) albeit for a short stint.

i think as all players return. he will be pushed down to play with white cause gomez will not get going with blunden and darche.

speaking of blunden. upon white's return what happens with darche? does randy pull the plug on him and really send the french media into cardiac a rest!

id put white back to center and flank him with blunden and moen

those are my lines and what id do...

Darche will be the first to drop, maybe even before Blunden, who has done very well under Cunneyworth's command.

Why even put gomez in? he brings nothing to the table that we need. on the 4th line? he doesn't hit and is he better suited there then blunden or nokes ? nope even darche is a better 4th liner then him our fourth is doing the job leave them alone. White is the only one that can take a fourth line spot of our bottom tier forwards. If someone gets hurt on our top lines then he goes in. all of our c men are doing there jobs, he goes in when someone needs to sit thats it. And show case him? We are not going to fool anyone even if he has a eller night every gm knows what he is.

I woudn't exactly say all of the centers are doing well.

Pleks is playing like a school girl from the playoffs a few years ago.

DD is good offensively, his size makes him a liability in his own end.

the habs need gomez if we want to make the playoffs as much as the gomez bashers hate to admit! everyone wants to rip on him because of points and what not... but as far as wins and loses?? he has missed significant time for the first time in 3 seasons and look where were situated in the standings. Obviously, other factors need to be considered when assessing our win column. But when gomez is ready he needs to be inserted in the line up and on a top pairing line. Randy has already eluded to this by saying he's a top 6 player. i think randy is building him up and will put him in a situation that will suit him.. putting him with a north south guy like cole is exactly what he needs... gomez is at his best when he rushes the puck up the gut rather then veering off to the boards and pulling up..

I read or heard somewhere that randy is a big media video guy when coaching! maybe he's shown scotty some youtube clips of himself at NJ going up the center of the ice trying to split the d and dishing off to gionta or elias down the wing.... thats what we need from gomez. just this simple tweak to his game and you'll see a mountain of difference

cole gomez gionta

DD plex patches (DD can play make from the left wing)

camm eller AK

moen white blunden

(noki darche)

the habs need gomez if we want to make the playoffs as much as the gomez bashers hate to admit! everyone wants to rip on him because of points and what not... but as far as wins and loses?? he has missed significant time for the first time in 3 seasons and look where were situated in the standings. Obviously, other factors need to be considered when assessing our win column. But when gomez is ready he needs to be inserted in the line up and on a top pairing line. Randy has already eluded to this by saying he's a top 6 player. i think randy is building him up and will put him in a situation that will suit him.. putting him with a north south guy like cole is exactly what he needs... gomez is at his best when he rushes the puck up the gut rather then veering off to the boards and pulling up..

I read or heard somewhere that randy is a big media video guy when coaching! maybe he's shown scotty some youtube clips of himself at NJ going up the center of the ice trying to split the d and dishing off to gionta or elias down the wing.... thats what we need from gomez. just this simple tweak to his game and you'll see a mountain of difference

cole gomez gionta

DD plex patches (DD can play make from the left wing)

camm eller AK

moen white blunden

(noki darche)

the only red white and blue he should wear is with a bulldog on the shirt!!!! Ya plex is slumping a bit but at least he will snap out of it. dd is playing awesome eller as well. Gomez has had his chances and for 7.5 mil playing great d is not cutting or carrying the puck to the blue line to do nothing we should just bring back higgins he did the same.

the only red white and blue he should wear is with a bulldog on the shirt!!!! Ya plex is slumping a bit but at least he will snap out of it. dd is playing awesome eller as well. Gomez has had his chances and for 7.5 mil playing great d is not cutting or carrying the puck to the blue line to do nothing we should just bring back higgins he did the same.

Money a side if u had to pick one DD or gomez who would u pick? DD is getting better in the circle and if you put him on the wing does it help him?

maybe im wrong.... but i think the habs are better with gomez in the line up not out of it!

that 7.5 million is tied to the cap no matter what so get over it! he's not going to the bulldogs so forget that one to.. this isnt fantasy hockey here. gomez outside of a trade is not going anywhere. and ya we are a way better team with him in the line up then out of the line up! thats my opinion though....

Money a side if u had to pick one DD or gomez who would u pick? DD is getting better in the circle and if you put him on the wing does it help him?

DD will not have a place in the NHL as a scoring center long term.... i'm sorry! he's been very good but i think at some point he will be moved to the wing. if not by us then by the next team he plays for! he's also been given patches or cole all season to compensate the size issue. i think putting him on the wing with plex who's a defensive center and giving him familiarity with patches can ease that transition. right now we need to find a way to get all of cammallerri, gionta, gomez, plex and patches firing again! we cant just run with the eller line and who ever cole's playing with!

BTW anyone still think cough cough TSN's McGuire that cole needs staal to be good??

maybe im wrong.... but i think the habs are better with gomez in the line up not out of it!

that 7.5 million is tied to the cap no matter what so get over it! he's not going to the bulldogs so forget that one to.. this isnt fantasy hockey here. gomez outside of a trade is not going anywhere. and ya we are a way better team with him in the line up then out of the line up! thats my opinion though....

For this season I agree 100%.

In the offseason, maybe things change... but there is no advantage to leaving Gomez out of the lineup today.