Injury news

Commandant

Get Briere out and slot Chuck in. Right meow!

Yeah, not. Through 2 rounds, Briere/Weise/[doesn'tmatter] have been on has been our best two-way line on the team. At this point, we need to be giving Briere more ice time, not benching him.

Honestly though if Chuck is ready he has to play.

Who comes out?

Bournival, probably. With 1 assist and a -1, he's been the least effective forward on the team, at both ends of the ice.

Easy choice, Bourque.

He was a bit invisible against Boston. I'm not a "What have you done for me lately" kind of guy though. Bourque has already elevated his game in the playoffs. Bournival has not yet had a single shift that made me glad to have him on the ice.

He was a bit invisible against Boston. I'm not a "What have you done for me lately" kind of guy though. Bourque has already elevated his game in the playoffs. Bournival has not yet had a single shift that made me glad to have him on the ice.

Not even when his hard rim around the boards created the opening goal in game 3 against boston?

Sorry.

I should say.

Or the penalty he drew in the final minute of game 4 against Tampa which allowed Patch to score the GWG?

or the penalty he drew to allow Briere to score the nail in the coffin?

Bournival has played good but he isn't Galchenyuk.

Bournival is a part of Hab future, Bourque isn't and he hasn't added anything in last 6 games of Bruin series.

Bournival works hard every game and will only get better over next few years, Rene wont.

Bournival is a part of Hab future, Bourque isn't and he hasn't added anything in last 6 games of Bruin series.

Bournival works hard every game and will only get better over next few years, Rene wont.

I don't disagree with anything here.

What I'm concerned about, however, is not the future. Bournival will be a regular in the lineup next season, I've got no issues with that.

I'm concerned about giving us the best opportunity to keep going in this playoff run right now.

@Stogey24:

Oh, a bit more on Briere's performance this playoff run.

Briere has played 10 games and has 2 goals, 4 assists, and is a +3. That's good, though not spectacular, compared to his career point-per-game average in the playoffs.

However, Therien has been afraid to put him on the ice. (Considering Briere's stellar defensive play every time he's been on, I am not sure why.)

Briere's averaging 10:09 of ice time per game, which is the lowest of all forwards who have played at least one game this playoff run. (Amazingly, Dale Weise has the next lowest, at 10:10.)

If you extrapolate Danny Briere's stats if getting Plekanec's ice time (Plekanec is averaging 20:58, has 3 goals, 4 assists, and is a -4) without being benched for a game, Brier would have 5 goals, 9 assists, and be a +7, and would lead the team in playoff points. Of course, no guarantee he'd actually perform that way with the extended ice time, but let's not pretend he is in some way underperforming. And no disrespect to Dale Weise (I love the guy!) or Brandon Prust/Travis Moen, but Briere is doing all that on the least talented line on the team! Galchenyuk would be lucky to have half that if he had been playing.

There's a huge difference having to play against Bergeron or krejki's lines, versus playing against the Thornton's line. If we had flipped pleks and Briere's minutes and match ups , we would have lost against Boston.

I don't disagree with anything here.

What I'm concerned about, however, is not the future. Bournival will be a regular in the lineup next season, I've got no issues with that.

I'm concerned about giving us the best opportunity to keep going in this playoff run right now.

@Stogey24:

Oh, a bit more on Briere's performance this playoff run.

Briere has played 10 games and has 2 goals, 4 assists, and is a +3. That's good, though not spectacular, compared to his career point-per-game average in the playoffs.

However, Therien has been afraid to put him on the ice. (Considering Briere's stellar defensive play every time he's been on, I am not sure why.)

Briere's averaging 10:09 of ice time per game, which is the lowest of all forwards who have played at least one game this playoff run. (Amazingly, Dale Weise has the next lowest, at 10:10.)

If you extrapolate Danny Briere's stats if getting Plekanec's ice time (Plekanec is averaging 20:58, has 3 goals, 4 assists, and is a -4) without being benched for a game, Brier would have 5 goals, 9 assists, and be a +7, and would lead the team in playoff points. Of course, no guarantee he'd actually perform that way with the extended ice time, but let's not pretend he is in some way underperforming. And no disrespect to Dale Weise (I love the guy!) or Brandon Prust/Travis Moen, but Briere is doing all that on the least talented line on the team! Galchenyuk would be lucky to have half that if he had been playing.

If Galchenyuk's ready, I'd sit Prust first.

I wouldn't sit him against New York. Gotta see how he plays against his former boys.

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Gallagher

Galchenyuk - Plekanec - Vanek

Bourque - Eller - Gionta

Prust - Briere - Weise

The scoring potential in those four lines is absolutely insane. There's also no way I'd break up the third line yet. See how they play against New York first.

It should be noted that just because he is cleared for contact, they're not going to throw him in right away. I'd say there's no chance he plays tomorrow and not much more of one for Game 2 on Monday. That will give him a couple of full practices (today and Tuesday/Wednesday, there won't be a practice tomorrow and only an optional Sunday most likely) to see how he feels.

It should be noted that just because he is cleared for contact, they're not going to throw him in right away. I'd say there's no chance he plays tomorrow and not much more of one for Game 2 on Monday. That will give him a couple of full practices (today and Tuesday/Wednesday, there won't be a practice tomorrow and only an optional Sunday most likely) to see how he feels.

I don't see him playing unless we lose a game and the roster needs a shakeup.

I don't see him playing unless we lose a game and the roster needs a shakeup.

Therrien noted that he'll get a chance at some point though like you, I don't see them rushing to throw him in there until they lose or someone gets hurt.

Guest Stogey24

Therrien noted that he'll get a chance at some point though like you, I don't see them rushing to throw him in there until they lose or someone gets hurt.

Pretty exciting though that we have an elite player who has yet to play in the playoffs this year.... secrete weapon

Elite? He may be elite down the road, he certainly isn't now.

How bout a very skilled youngster, who may be like Eller and crank it up in post season?

Don't you guys appreciate the fact that we are actually having discussion about Danny Briere is going to play? There are not very many teams in the NHL that have that kind of depth. Go forking Habs Go. And no it was not all created on MB and MT's time on the controls. But I am loving it.

How bout a very skilled youngster, who may be like Eller and crank it up in post season?

That's one way to put it. Another is that he's a young player who had a terrible second half to the year and now needs to shake off 6+ weeks of rust on top of things so expectations should be low. He's not going to come in and give this team another huge boost offensively.

Guest Stogey24

That's one way to put it. Another is that he's a young player who had a terrible second half to the year and now needs to shake off 6+ weeks of rust on top of things so expectations should be low. He's not going to come in and give this team another huge boost offensively.

Elite is a little over the top I guess. His name was tossed around a bit by Byslma though for the American Olympic team... He's a threat out there for sure.