Injury news

Commandant

That one I don't understand how he wasn't called for a penalty, very little attempt to avoid Price and he friggin smoked him skates first?

I don't think he's injured. With hid history, they would have pulled him right out of the game if it was his knee.

I'm sure he's a little shook up, so it makes sense for him to take the option. Therrien saying he's "uncertain" could be nothing more than distracting the media's field day over the game 1 stink-fest.

He'll be in the lineup.

You tossin in the towel?

I'll toss in the towel in the playoff pool (I have Price as my goalie) but the Habs still have a chance. It's lower than what it was just a few days ago but you never know.

Let's just say it don't look good.

Doesn't look good?? This is going to a gunfight with a knife! We aren't the wild or ducks with multiple goalies to throw out there. That being said, this is probably the biggest character test for this team. They really need to limit the chances against and take full advantage of any chance we get.

What I'm really tired if is the Habs losing critical guys for the playoffs, by "accidental" plays! We've list:

-Zednik almost decapitated by the bruins

-koivu almost blinded by the canes

-Markov taken out out during our last final 4 run

-in a breakout year, Maxpac almost dexapitated by the Bruins

-Eller and Price taken out last year by the Hens

Some people here we're talking about the lack of going after Kreider. I say we send Bourque and Prust to go hard accidentally on lundquist

Doesn't look good?? This is going to a gunfight with a knife! We aren't the wild or ducks with multiple goalies to throw out there. That being said, this is probably the biggest character test for this team. They really need to limit the chances against and take full advantage of any chance we get.

What I'm really tired if is the Habs losing critical guys for the playoffs, by "accidental" plays! We've list:

-Zednik almost decapitated by the bruins

-koivu almost blinded by the canes

-Markov taken out out during our last final 4 run

-in a breakout year, Maxpac almost dexapitated by the Bruins

-Eller and Price taken out last year by the Hens

Some people here we're talking about the lack of going after Kreider. I say we send Bourque and Prust to go hard accidentally on lundquist

Great post. I agree that the Habs seem to have disproportionately suffered from injuries to really key players over the past decade and that it is incredibly frustrating. I also agree that the answer is not to attack Kreider but to run Lundqvist. That's a politically incorrect view, of course. But that's how the NHL wants it, so I'm happy to see us give it to them. We won't, of course.

Great post. I agree that the Habs seem to have disproportionately suffered from injuries to really key players over the past decade and that it is incredibly frustrating. I also agree that the answer is not to attack Kreider but to run Lundqvist. That's a politically incorrect view, of course. But that's how the NHL wants it, so I'm happy to see us give it to them. We won't, of course.

We aren't that type of team. That would be Boston.

We aren't that type of team. That would be Boston.

Agree, would be childish (Lucic-like) reaction to situation, much more important things to focus on.

But what you guys are saying is that the other team can deliberately destroy our key guys at will, and our response will just be to "play fair." I can't recall the last time I saw a player plough into a guy skates-first. It simply isn't done.

My advocacy of deliberately injuring Lundqvist is NOT about petty revenge, it's about leveling a playing-field that has been unfairly tilted against us by the NHL's idiotic refusal to protect star players. And I guarantee you that the Kreiders of the world would stop doing what they're doing if they knew that it ensured that their own teammates would be wiped out.

I said the same thing about head-hunters. If the NHL refuses to put a stop to head-shots, then you are a fool if you don't carry one or two Matt Cookes on your roster, because you are putting yourself at a competitive disadvantage, in effect allowing the other team to decapitate your best players without any fear of the same thing happening to their own. It gives me no pleasure to say these things. But what other solution is there when the entity that is supposed to protect players - the league - completely neglects its duty?

But what you guys are saying is that the other team can deliberately destroy our key guys at will, and our response will just be to "play fair." I can't recall the last time I saw a player plough into a guy skates-first. It simply isn't done.

My advocacy of deliberately injuring Lundqvist is NOT about petty revenge, it's about leveling a playing-field that has been unfairly tilted against us by the NHL's idiotic refusal to protect star players. And I guarantee you that the Kreiders of the world would stop doing what they're doing if they knew that it ensured that their own teammates would be wiped out.

I said the same thing about head-hunters. If the NHL refuses to put a stop to head-shots, then you are a fool if you don't carry one or two Matt Cookes on your roster, because you are putting yourself at a competitive disadvantage, in effect allowing the other team to decapitate your best players without any fear of the same thing happening to their own.

Deliberately injuring opposing player has no part in sports, it is just entertainment and crippling someone, possibly for the last 60-80 years of their life, is as unsportsmen-like as it gets and I would want no part in it period.

Don't care how you might spin-it to justify or advocate for it, I am opposed.

If he happened to get run through the boards, smoked with open ice hit or Gallagher accidently bumps NY goalie, that I can get behind, but to win is more important goal.

We likely won't hear anything about this today since there's no practice but will Emelin be available on Thursday? He left last night's game after being hit by Pouliot and didn't return. Of course, they were trying to score and rolling really only 3 D in the final few minutes so he probably wouldn't have played anyways but nonetheless, his status is questionable right now.

We likely won't hear anything about this today since there's no practice but will Emelin be available on Thursday? He left last night's game after being hit by Pouliot and didn't return. Of course, they were trying to score and rolling really only 3 D in the final few minutes so he probably wouldn't have played anyways but nonetheless, his status is questionable right now.

Emelin seemed content to sit on the bench until the trainers made him leave. I'm hoping it was just something along the lines of the Quiet Room protocol, and nothing more.

Deliberately injuring opposing player has no part in sports, it is just entertainment and crippling someone, possibly for the last 60-80 years of their life, is as unsportsmen-like as it gets and I would want no part in it period.

Don't care how you might spin-it to justify or advocate for it, I am opposed.

If he happened to get run through the boards, smoked with open ice hit or Gallagher accidently bumps NY goalie, that I can get behind, but to win is more important goal.

Oh, I totally agree that deliberate injuries should have no place in the game. I find the whole business contemptible. What I'm saying is that, thanks to the NHL's negligence, they DO (factually) have a place in the game, and we are about the lose the semi-finals because of this. Deliberately crashing Lundqvist would serve two purposes in this context:

1. It would return the teams to a level playing field after the NYR artificially tilted it by removing our best player from competition.

2. It would serve as a powerful deterrent to any future attempt to injure our players; and, if the practice became universally adopted, would likely put an end to deliberate attempts to injure altogether.

In the absence of either retaliation OR adequate NHL disciplinary policy, we are completely dependent upon the good will of other teams - but those teams have shown themselves too irresponsible, or else downright vicious, to be relied on to play the game like minimally responsible and decent human beings.

I respect the idea that we should take the high road. But it looks to me like we will never, ever win the Stanley Cup doing that so long as the league chooses to reward players who recklessly injure league stars.

Emelin seemed content to sit on the bench until the trainers made him leave. I'm hoping it was just something along the lines of the Quiet Room protocol, and nothing more.

Of course some were saying he played up the hit and was faking.

Oh, I totally agree that deliberate injuries should have no place in the game. I find the whole business contemptible. What I'm saying is that, thanks to the NHL's negligence, they DO (factually) have a place in the game, and we are about the lose the semi-finals because of this. Deliberately crashing Lundqvist would serve two purposes in this context:

1. It would return the teams to a level playing field after the NYR artificially tilted it by removing our best player from competition.

2. It would serve as a powerful deterrent to any future attempt to injure our players; and, if the practice became universally adopted, would likely put an end to deliberate attempts to injure altogether.

In the absence of either retaliation OR adequate NHL disciplinary policy, we are completely dependent upon the good will of other teams - but those teams have shown themselves too irresponsible, or else downright vicious, to be relied on to play the game like minimally responsible and decent human beings.

I respect the idea that we should take the high road. But it looks to me like we will never, ever win the Stanley Cup doing that so long as the league chooses to reward players who recklessly injure league stars.

I know it does seem 'unfair', but Habs have done similar, Gallagher took out one goalie and Gionta concussed Leaf goalie.

And majority still see Price injury as accidental hockey play, which is debatable, but I still would argue to take high road and be like Sedin and let a Marchand act like a little troll and be mature about that stuff.

I don't think turning other cheek has held Habs back from a cup, but could be wrong?

Kreider's hit on Price is questionable, and I'm not sure the proper response to it.

The issue is, I really don't think he meant to HURT Carey. He skated fast to the net on a legitimate hockey play. Was he careless? Absolutely. Should he have been penalized? I think so. You can't use "I didn't have time to stop" as an excuse. That just meant you were skating too hard toward the net to begin with. But 99.99% of the time, that doesn't injure the goalie. In fact, it's more likely to injure Kreider. He was trying to rattle Price, not injure him.

What complicates it for me and makes it even more infuriating is that you KNOW that, while he didn't expect the result he got, he'll certainly take it. If the Rangers hold on to win, Kreider single-handedly won them this series.

Kreider made an irresponsibly reckless play. All he had to do was try to twist his body so as to make an honest effort to avoid smashing into Price with his skate blades pointed outwards. How often do you see any player crashing into another player in that position? Never, because skates are effectively knives and therefore hockey has a massive taboo against using them as weapons. He can't be blamed for making contact with Price on the play - it's the way he allowed it to happen that is so condemnable.

As for Don's ethical stance, I can only quote Hesiod: "it is bad to be an honest man where felons rule." Why should we lose playoff series because of such contemptible play? Even it up and then play on. And like I say, if every team did that, pretty soon we'd see an end to such plays altogether, because deliberately inflicting injury would make you the most hated guy on your own team.