Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

38 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

The concern, on my part anyway, is the impact on the cap going forward and how that could impact the roster coming out of the rebuild.

WELL, if he wasnt so good, they wouldnt have to pay him so much, pretty easy.

Do you want more cheaper less skilled players in the lineup instead?

Or want a screaming hometown discount deal to be made, or else are concerned?

Sorry, i dont get it.

50 minutes ago, DON said:

Sorry, i dont get it.

I get that you don't see my concern ... which is fine.

1 minute ago, Commandant said:

Is there any reporting at all about a bridge deal?

Everything I've seen has been about 7 or 8 year deals.

I haven't seen anything that isn't just media "experts" opining ... no reputable reports of leaks from HuGo or Brisson.

1 hour ago, DON said:

Sorry, i dont get it.

I guess it all depends on how much "so much" is.  If it's a 7-8 year deal in the 7.5-8.5/M range then I can live with that. If it's more dollars than that then I get a little concerned as there is only so much to go around in a salary cap world. 

27 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I guess it all depends on how much "so much" is.  If it's a 7-8 year deal in the 7.5-8.5/M range then I can live with that. If it's more dollars than that then I get a little concerned as there is only so much to go around in a salary cap world. 

I dont know contracts or cap stuff (boring stuff), if projecting long term contract, i will defer to dlbalr/commandant for what contract should be, or pro-cons of short vs long term.

I plead ignorance and will not going worry what it will be.

Hughes and mgmt will debate it no doubt and hammer out some deal that likley makes sense and some fans/talking heads will hate it no matter what it is.

8 hours ago, Plutarch said:

What are you thinking d wise? Obviously Edmonston moved for anything... Wideman is likely not relevant unless injuries pile up

Mattheson LD Savard rd

Guhle LD  Barron rd

Harris LD Kovacevic rd

Xhejak ld

With so many young d are you thinking some sort of idea where we improve on Savard? Flip a young d for an older better guy?

I’d like to get a guy who is a legit 1st line dman. Savard is best suited for an 3rd line role on an good team.

And no - I don’t actually think  there is any chance at all that Gallagher could bring back anything of value.

I don’t want to be giving up any quality assets for a winger. We need to improve our D and shouldn’t be counting on our young dmen to magically fill that need.

On 5/25/2023 at 3:56 AM, Plutarch said:

Question... What are people's thoughts on getting Connor Garland or Brock Boeser out of Vancouver for our RW?

Likely cheap given caphits.

I used to like Boeser, and Garland is quietly better than people realize, but I am hard pressed to think of any Habs assets I would send back in order to acquire either. Of the two, I might actually prefer Garland. Boeser used to play like a 40-goal guy, but I don’t understand what has happened to his game. Maybe injuries have slowed him. He also does not seem very resilient. He’s one of those guys where, a bit like Drouin, “it’s always something.”

Unlike some around here, though, I’m not sure the habs won’t need W. Clearly, on the big team, there is a lack; only Anderson (LW) and Caufield (RW) are bona-ride top-6 options. LW is especially bad. But I would expect that next season will see the Habs doing at wing what they did on D last year, i.e., throwing prospects into the fire to see how they fare. And since we do have cruddy veterans and semi-veterans at W to shelter them if necessary, that probably is the right move in this case.

So if we’re going to move assets to strengthen at wing, I imagine it would be at the deadline, or the following off-season - only after management has lost a belief in the AHL talent at that position.

Habs29 is right that the big concern is D. Heck, with Monty stepping up, our G may be better than everyone thought.

12 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I’d like to get a guy who is a legit 1st line dman. Savard is best suited for an 3rd line role on an good team...

So start with the upcoming 5th overall first-rounder and add Guhle or Hutson and then more ... legit first pairing defencemen, perhaps especially RHD - which is the most obvious need, are not cheap ... especially since HuGo would be looking for someone no more than 30 (ideally 25-27) with term on their contract.

32 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

... Heck, with Monty stepping up, our G may be better than everyone thought.

That is a very dangerous "may" ... one decent season with the team having no playoff expectations is a very small sample size ... I'd hate to have HuGo pass on possible trades for high-potential young goaltenders this off-season and then see Monty regress to his previous norm (or even close to it).

5 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

So start with the upcoming 5th overall first-rounder and add Guhle or Hutson and then more ... legit first pairing defencemen, perhaps especially RHD - which is the most obvious need, are not cheap ... especially since HuGo would be looking for someone no more than 30 (ideally 25-27) with term on their contract.

How often do you see a team trade a legitimate 1st pairing defenseman that still has a lot of miles left? You pretty much have to draft and develop them. 

2 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

That is a very dangerous "may" ... one decent season with the team having no playoff expectations is a very small sample size ... I'd hate to have HuGo pass on possible trades for high-potential young goaltenders this off-season and then see Monty regress to his previous norm (or even close to it).

He’s also doing well at the WC. 

I agree it’s a small sample, but I always liked Monty and see this as cause for cautious optimism. Big goalies can sometimes be late bloomers.

5 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I don’t see us taking a D at #5, and don’t see any potential dman who is ready to step into that role. Hutson is going back to college and while I’m excited of his potential. I would t want to even pencil him into being a #1 D the following year. Guhle is going to his second year. Will he regress like a lot of sophomores, or take another step forward? We don’t know.

I’m more comfortable with us at centre on the wing. On D we have a lot of “What-if” kids. I’m not sold on our goalies either, but than I don’t want to pay a lot for a goalie YET, and I hope we never sign another goalie to a $10m contract - unless the cap goes up by over $10m.

4 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

How often do you see a team trade a legitimate 1st pairing defenseman that still has a lot of miles left? You pretty much have to draft and develop them. 

Agree ... which is why one would be VERY, VERY expensive to even try to acquire.

3 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I don’t see us taking a D at #5, and don’t see any potential dman who is ready to step into that role. Hutson is going back to college and while I’m excited of his potential. I would t want to even pencil him into being a #1 D the following year. Guhle is going to his second year. Will he regress like a lot of sophomores, or take another step forward? We don’t know.

I’m more comfortable with us at centre on the wing. On D we have a lot of “What-if” kids. I’m not sold on our goalies either, but than I don’t want to pay a lot for a goalie YET, and I hope we never sign another goalie to a $10m contract - unless the cap goes up by over $10m.

I was referring to what would have to offered to even start trade talks for the elusive legit first pairing defenceman. 

2 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I agree that d is the big weakness as a team but the young guys need to play. Kova is older so maybe he can be a bit more out of rotation. But Barron, Xhajek, Guhle and Harris need game time.

Guhle is in the NHL now permanently. Harris won't accept a demotion well. Leaves Barron and X. We have the spot on RD for Barron so... maybe Xhajek starts in AHL and Kova is a in and out 7th?

something like

mattheson-???

Guhle-Savard

Harris-Barron

kova

then AHL is a a lot of guys... Maybe this?

Trudeau-Xhejak

Norlinder-Mailloux

Struble-Fairbrother

@dlbalrwhat's the AHL Blueline like next year?

1 hour ago, Plutarch said:

then AHL is a a lot of guys... Maybe this?

Trudeau-Xhejak

Norlinder-Mailloux

Struble-Fairbrother

@dlbalrwhat's the AHL Blueline like next year?

Among the ones not on your list, add Miguel Tourigny as he has already signed.  Nicolas Beaudin is an RFA and could be back.  I think they'll want one veteran guy there at least (Corey Schueneman and Madison Bowey are UFAs) and I could see them trying to re-sign Tory Dello as well.

6 hours ago, GHT120 said:

There is no defenceman I would draft at 5th overall. 

That said, I think in Mattheson and Guhle we have two top pair defencemen (though both are LH)

Mattheson is the #1 LHD now.  When he ages into a second pair guy, Guhle should be ready to take over and they flip spots. 

The question mark is on the RH side. 

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

There is no defenceman I would draft at 5th overall. 

That said, I think in Mattheson and Guhle we have two top pair defencemen (though both are LH)

Mattheson is the #1 LHD now.  When he ages into a second pair guy, Guhle should be ready to take over and they flip spots. 

The question mark is on the RH side. 

I am confused by this, and hab29RETIRED's similar post.

I was responding to hab29RETIRED's hope of trading for a legit first pairing defenceman and proposed that any package would have to start with the upcoming 5th overall first-rounder and add Guhle or Hutson and then more.

Not certain how drafting a defenceman at #5 is relevant.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

I was responding to hab29RETIRED's hope of trading for a legit first pairing defenceman and proposed that any package would have to start with the upcoming 5th overall first-rounder and add Guhle or Hutson and then more.

A rebuilding team shouldn’t be moving a top 5 pick. I don’t hi on you need to trade for a dman that is already a top line dman on their team - they should just be a lot further along on their progression than our young dmen. Having said that, I’d rather have an experienced legit first pairing guy to mentor our young dmen, rather than have them play with a guy like Savard that far up the lineup.

if you look at some deals that have been made. Ottawa got chyckrun for a 12th pick and a second rounder. There is a big difference between a top 5 and a #12 pick.

Ekholm was a mid to late first and a 4th rounder.

Lindholm was a late first and two late seconds (although he was a pending free agent).

21 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

A rebuilding team shouldn’t be moving a top 5 pick. I don’t hi on you need to trade for a dman that is already a top line dman on their team - they should just be a lot further along on their progression than our young dmen. Having said that, I’d rather have an experienced legit first pairing guy to mentor our young dmen, rather than have them play with a guy like Savard that far up the lineup.

if you look at some deals that have been made. Ottawa got chyckrun for a 12th pick and a second rounder. There is a big difference between a top 5 and a #12 pick.

Ekholm was a mid to late first and a 4th rounder.

Lindholm was a late first and two late seconds (although he was a pending free agent).

I agree ... was laying out what I expect another team would want for a LEGIT top-pairing D, especially a RHD ... Chyckrun was a bit of a unique case as (a) he wanted out and (b) 'Yotes spent over a year looking to get a HUGE return and lost all their leverage ... also I am not certain whether he is a top-pairing D on a good team.

20 hours ago, GHT120 said:

There are very few defencemen id trade #5 for as well.  Age and contract would have me out on many, especially since the Habs need more than 1 defenceman to become a contender.  Id rather have an 18 year old than someone say 28...

4 hours ago, Commandant said:

There are very few defencemen id trade #5 for as well.  Age and contract would have me out on many, especially since the Habs need more than 1 defenceman to become a contender.  Id rather have an 18 year old than someone say 28...

I agree ... I was discussing the potential trade for an IDEAL legit first pairing defencemen, RHD, 25-27 with term on their contract ... I am not certain he even exists.

I'd be willing to move the players not highlighted to upgrade the right side. The answer is not in the UFA market

Matheson Barron

Guhle  Savard

Harris Kovacevic

Edmundson Wideman

Xhekaj Mailloux

Engstrom

However, Im content to watch the prospects evolve and just play with a young d core again next season. I think Wideman gets waived before opening roster

9 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

I'd be willing to move the players not highlighted to upgrade the right side. The answer is not in the UFA market

Matheson Barron

Guhle  Savard

Harris Kovacevic

Edmundson Wideman

Xhekaj Mailloux

Engstrom

However, Im content to watch the prospects evolve and just play with a young d core again next season. I think Wideman gets waived before opening roster

I not certain that all those players together (ignoring any cap issues) get a legit RHD upgrade, especially one that fits the rebuild (i.e., 28 or younger with at least 3 years on their contract).