Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

The thing with Semin is, he's at best a one-year stop-gap anyway.

If he plays great - no matter how great - then you still can't sign him to the longer-term deal he'll want, because he is a proven bum who is only in it for the money; and any team that locks him up is going to be saddled with a cap millstone. So, after one good season, he will leave us for whichever team is dumb-assed enough to sign him.

If he plays badly, then he is no help to us - and possibly a hindrance to our efforts to sustain a winning team culture and a 'great room.'

Besides which, his playoff totals are iffy at best. Not a guy who shows up for the clutch games when we need offensive help the most.

So...maybe we should assume that Bergevin is interested, not in wasting $1-2 million signing a proven loser as a one-year patch-up job who probably won't help us in the playoffs anyway, but rather in trying to fix the hole in a convincing way on a longer-term basis?

I heard those same comments about Jagr a few years back. Guess we know how that turned out.

I heard those same comments about Jagr a few years back. Guess we know how that turned out.

Right. Jagr worked out. So it is an iron law of nature than Semin will too. That's probably what Anaheim thought about Rene Bourque.

http://onegoodmove.org/fallacy/falsean.htm

Now for something completely different. Vancouver sports radio this morning, desperate for chatter in the summer doldrums, was kicking around the idea of trading the Sedins. Montreal was a team they named as being an ideal fit.

It's one of those 'so crazy it just might work' ideas. Van is desperate for a reboot. The Habs are desperate for scoring up front. Given that they turn 35 in September, the Sedins can probably be relied on for another 3 years of quality offence. In one fell swoop this move would solve our FW issues and give time for the next wave to get here. Of course, there are the small questions of

1. The return. Pleks + Tinordi + 1st rounder(s)? (Canucks would angle for Gallagher for sure)

2. The cap hit. Van might have to take back Pleks and Emelin even to make this trade within the realm of the conceivable.

I'm not saying this is a no-brainer or even realistically feasible. But it's a fun outside-the-box idea to kick around, maybe.

Right. Jagr worked out. So it is an iron law of nature than Semin will too. That's probably what Anaheim thought about Rene Bourque.

http://onegoodmove.org/fallacy/falsean.htm

What are you grumpy today? I never said anything about any guarantee. But the situations a are very similar.

Sedin's have said they want to stay in Vancouver and then move back to Sweden to finish their pro hockey careers. I don't think they'd accept a trade if asked.

That said the Sedin's are somehow underrated in the NHL. Top skill their entire careers. Would love to see them as Habs but I see the chances of them being traded, let alone to Montreal, at around 0.1%

Sedin's have said they want to stay in Vancouver and then move back to Sweden to finish their pro hockey careers. I don't think they'd accept a trade if asked.

That said the Sedin's are somehow underrated in the NHL. Top skill their entire careers. Would love to see them as Habs but I see the chances of them being traded, let alone to Montreal, at around 0.1%

And that is .1% more than I can see. It is the summer doldrums when rumors abound . When talks of signings are crazy and talks of trades are flights of fancy. Translation: we are all bored waiting for something to happen. Hell I may have to drag out the Le Genius firing thing to have something to talk about.

And that is .1% more than I can see. It is the summer doldrums when rumors abound . When talks of signings are crazy and talks of trades are flights of fancy. Translation: we are all bored waiting for something to happen. Hell I may have to drag out the Le Genius firing thing to have something to talk about.

Lo f'n L !

Hey, it's a 'trade proposal' thread! I wasn't advancing a rumour, just spittin' in the wind.

That said, I do think it would likely be in the best interests of the Canucks to trade the Sedins - not because they're not great players, but because they're 35 and that team really needs to think longer-term. I agree that the twins give every sign of having their values in good order and therefore not being interested in moving from a city where they've built their families' lives. Still...Van is likely to miss the playoffs and they're not exactly overflowing with elite prospects. Do the Sedins really want to play out the string on a bottom-tier team? You never know.

As for the Sedins being underrated: if their names were Johnny and Gordon Mackenzie from Kingston, they would be absolute hockey icons of their generation. Instead, because they're Swedes, not physical, and unerringly decent human beings who engage their community and play with unfailing class, even their own fan-base has had a significant element that's lukewarm about them ('the Sedin sisters'). It kinda makes me puke, actually.

If we're going to throw trade proposal out, here is one trade I think would work out for both teams.

To Edmonton

1st round pick +fucale +Galchenyuk

To habs

Hopkins

We get a number 1 center, and this deal helps save Edmonton money for when they are going to have to resign McDavid after his rookie deal is done, and also reunites gal with yak.

We then deal emelin to a team for a pick to save some money.

I'd support a Sedin twin trade. They are definitely underrated and have been a fixture in top ten league scoring for what seems like a decade. I had hopes of Montreal signing them when they became UFA but I believe Van locked them up before they became available. I agree that the Canucks are going nowhere fast and having the Sedins on their roster only prolongs their mediocrity. I also agree the chances of it happening are slim to none because of their loyalty and matching up a deal that works for both sides

To Devils

- David Desharnais

- Alexei Emelin

To Canadiens

- Mike Cammalleri

I'm bored. Why not?

Sounds good to me. The guy can still tickle the twine for sure. As for Desharnais, sign Mike Santorelli to replace him. Lo and behold, not only have you added significant offence but you've brought us back to the glory days of Team Smurf! :halm:

(No, seriously, Cammy would be a good addition, in theory).

Guest Stogey24

To Devils

- David Desharnais

- Alexei Emelin

To Canadiens

- Mike Cammalleri

I'm bored. Why not?

definitely not against that.

To Devils

- David Desharnais

- Alexei Emelin

To Canadiens

- Mike Cammalleri

I'm bored. Why not?

Uh we already went the Cammy route, do not see any reason to revisit that.

Uh we already went the Cammy route, do not see any reason to revisit that.

How about the fact that he led the team in playoff points for two years running? 27 goals last season, nothing to sneeze at.

How about the fact that he led the team in playoff points for two years running? 27 goals last season, nothing to sneeze at.

This + I still own a Cammy jersey.

I have 45 mins to blow.

Unfortunately Hub has only won 18 faceoffs in 3 seasons lol

Statistically a worse option at center.

So, are there any worthy RFAs to swap Chucky for?

Why are we swapping Galchenyuk though?

Conceptual. If he isn't going to be the big #1 center. FLA has Bjugstad & Barkov, too. Huberdeau has been exclusively at the wing.

I'd hang onto AG for at least 3 more years. That way we'll know exactly what he's worth, and can get somebody of full value in return. I'd hate to trade him now, for say joe blow that can get 24 goals, and then have AG explode for 8-9 years of 40+ goal seasons. I may be exaggerating somewhat, but you get the gist

aaaaachoo. :) Yeah he has some good numbers, however he is 33, 5ft 9 and hasn't played a complete season since 08/09. I also think he probably has a bad taste in his mouth after the way he was treated here. I am not giving up any assets for him, I predict he has 1 maybe 2 years left. Then he will be almost useless. I don't hate the guy, but really that ship has sailed.