Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

Get the point

Iginla for emelin/ Eller tinordi and a 1st isn't happening as MB won't trade all those assets for a player off the books after a single season. Just my thoughts!

Iginla is not a UFA after this season. He is not a rental player like Vanek was.

Just a little observation-- on what MB might do--- When he first arrived he stated clearly that he would not trade the future for the present. He has since stated repeated that he has no intention from veering from what he believes in. I don't think it is a coincidence that he is never brought in anyone at the deadline over 30? I have no reason to believe that he will alter his self imposed parameters.

Just a little observation-- on what MB might do--- When he first arrived he stated clearly that he would not trade the future for the present. He has since stated repeated that he has no intention from veering from what he believes in. I don't think it is a coincidence that he is never brought in anyone at the deadline over 30? I have no reason to believe that he will alter his self imposed parameters.

Mike Weaver?

Vanek and Mitchell were 30 when we acquired them.

Weaver the only one then? Just trying to establish a pattern.

Bergevin's trade deadline history

2013: Davis Drewiske for a 5th

2014: Mike Weaver for a 5th, Tomas Vanek/conditional 5th for a conditional 2nd/Collberg, Devan Dubnyk for future considerations

2015: Torrey Mitchell for Jack Nevins/7th, Brian Flynn for a 5th, Jeff Petry for 2nd/conditional 5th

Bergevin's trades close to the deadline

2013: Michael Ryder/3rd for Cole (5 weeks prior to deadline)

2014: Dale Weise for Raph Diaz, Czarnik for Quailer (1 month prior to deadline)

2015: Devante Smith-Pelly for Jiri Sekac (one week prior to deadline)

So the only patterns one can really see are:

- Bergevin is fine with trading 2nd round picks for big players (Vanek, Petry)

- Bergevin is fine with trading 5th round picks for depth (Drewiske, Weaver, Flynn)

- Bergevin likes to make a deal prior to the deadline (Ryder/Cole, Weise/Diaz, DSP/Sekac)

There's nothing really there about age restrictions or not trading prospects or not moving salaries or any of that. He has once traded an old guy for an old guy close to the deadline and he once traded for Weaver. He has also traded Collberg and Sekac.

I can see Emelin being traded, but not Eller.

We have good NHL depth at D to be able to trade an Emelin, you can't convince me that Pateryn can't bring what Emelin does, or that Tinordi can't bring what Emelin does if given the chance... experts the lot of ya. :rastapop:

At forward, trading Eller in on a forward is at this point a sideways move, and leaves a hole for a winger with size and speed and decent possession skills in Eller..

We have possibilities at forward with Semin and Kassian, for offensive help(and size)whether some of you believe it or not, that is indeed the case, prove it's not or just shut up until we all see what they can do... :monkey:

If Bergevin can aquire a top 6, younger "core" type player, then he will move assets and roster players to do that I'm sure, that's where Eller could go in a trade.

But I'm also sure he isn't going to mortgage the future for a guy like Iginla, for an "all in one year thing".

It doesn't make sense according to his plan, as stated by him over, and over and over.. :bonk:

2014: Mike Weaver for a 5th, Tomas Vanek/conditional 5th for a conditional 2nd/Collberg, Devan Dubnyk for future considerations

2015: Torrey Mitchell for Jack Nevins/7th, Brian Flynn for a 5th, Jeff Petry for 2nd/conditional 5th

- Bergevin is fine with trading 5th round picks for depth (Drewiske, Weaver, Flynn)

- Bergevin likes to make a deal prior to the deadline (Ryder/Cole, Weise/Diaz, DSP/Sekac)

There's nothing really there about age restrictions or not trading prospects or not moving salaries or any of that. He has once traded an old guy for an old guy close to the deadline and he once traded for Weaver. He has also traded Collberg and Sekac.

Ryder and Cole was a lateral move, the rest are young-- and only Weaver was over 30 who he traded for a pick, so no biggy and also dropped the next year---I still believe age is a factor. Secondly the thread is looking for a high end addition not all this minor stuff. You have hit a bulleyes on what types of players he has brought in-- Petry and Vanek the biggest names in value

Looking at age factor three years ago and looking at age factor now is different.

This is truly the first time i have felt we are one player away from the cup.... in the past I've been like we could win the cup, but we need a miracle out of price... now i think we can win the cup even if Price is just his regular self... we just need to fix the Chucky line, cause the goaltending, the defence, and the other lines are all clicking.

Bergevin's thought processes in the past, and his thought process today may not be the same.

Every GM comes in with a 5 year plan to make the franchise a contender.... Guess what, we have started Year 4, and we are a contender. Now may be time. And Now might be when Bergevin starts to think a little differently than he did in previous years.

Great post.

Now, I'd find it really great if someone (most likely a mod/admin) would create a sticky thread where all Marc Bergevin's moves would be listed since he took over... How great would that be.

(shame on me if this already exists somewhere...)

Looking at age factor three years ago and looking at age factor now is different.

This is truly the first time i have felt we are one player away from the cup.... in the past I've been like we could win the cup, but we need a miracle out of price... now i think we can win the cup even if Price is just his regular self... we just need to fix the Chucky line, cause the goaltending, the defence, and the other lines are all clicking.

Bergevin's thought processes in the past, and his thought process today may not be the same.

Every GM comes in with a 5 year plan to make the franchise a contender.... Guess what, we have started Year 4, and we are a contender. Now may be time. And Now might be when Bergevin starts to think a little differently than he did in previous years.

Bergevin wants to win. And if current trends continue, then you are absolutely right - we literally are one player away. Doesn't have to be a superstar, just a legitimate top-6 winger who can score.

We have a legit shot even without that guy. But adding him would mean we no longer have any identifiable holes in the lineup except for the mythical Stud Centreman.

So I'm wih you. Bergevin will pull the trigger if he has to.

As for Emelin, I'm not nearly so confident that he won't be an integral part of a Cup run. He's our only D-man who adds serious physicality. Unless we think Tinordi is ready, I wouldn't be in a hurry to move him.

Great post.

Now, I'd find it really great if someone (most likely a mod/admin) would create a sticky thread where all Marc Bergevin's moves would be listed since he took over... How great would that be.

(shame on me if this already exists somewhere...)

This website is great for trades.

ESPN is great for team transactions (trades, call ups, send downs, free agency, etc.)

Did you have to go that far back - I'd like to block those out

• Upvote 1

So again he has traded for a single rental and that was vanek. Every other player was signed and therefore not a rental! Dubnyk was signed for the AHL.

As good as we are I don't think MB sways from what he's building here. Not saying he won't make a smart move, just saying he wont give up multiple assets for the short term. If last years trade deadline is an indicator of how the market is moving with free agents the cost of doing business has dropped significantly. As pointed out earlier, iginla is signed on for one more season so his cost in particular will go up.

Our habs seem to have regained their status as a perennial powerhouse year over year. We have finally returned after close to 2 decades my friends!

Let's not f this team up... stay the course and let's be saavy players in the market! We are dealing from strength.

Let's not f this team up... stay the course and let's be saavy players in the market! We are dealing from strength.

Some might say... we are a contender, lets not f this opportunity up... don't let the moment pass us by as we are in a good situation with Max Pac, Price, and Galchenyuk signed to below market value deals, and while we pay subban market value he is also a core piece. Our core is in its prime, lets win, now.

The east is up for grabs. Expectations are higher than ever for this club. Best goalie/player in the league. Two Norris Trophy caliber D. All star scoring winger. Gally improved to be just as big a threat as Max. Fourth line added and succeeding. Deep enough to drop DD and hide him from top pairs.

The Pens are a bad hockey team with a few stars, they have played brutal all season (according to everyone including themselves)....and just they went 10-2 while playing poorly!

Plain and simple guys..............if the habs don't at least make it to the finals this year....the season is a complete failure.

AH, nice to finally be back to the way it should be in Montreal. Stanley or bust !

Sounds like Iginla wants no part in agreeing to any trade, due to family reasons, so can likely cross him off.

What other teams are sucking? Columbus have any real targets that might realistically be pried away? ...Philly, Ducks, San Jose?

Brent Burns - UFA 2017. 5.76 cap hit.

Might be a real force on our 2nd line not to mention being able to play D. This may come into play depending on Marleau. If PM moves, is it a rebuild in SJ? Does BB become available?

The last time we dealt with San Jose to my knowledge we landed max pacioretty and to lesser extent gorges so I'm sure SJ has that in the back of their minds for sure...

Think kovalev to MTl for squat and then gainey returning the favour by giving up McDonough....

The last time we dealt with San Jose to my knowledge we landed max pacioretty and to lesser extent gorges so I'm sure SJ has that in the back of their minds for sure...

Think kovalev to MTl for squat and then gainey returning the favour by giving up McDonough....

Don't remind me