Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

Might be a real force on our 2nd line not to mention being able to play D. This may come into play depending on Marleau. If PM moves, is it a rebuild in SJ? Does BB become available?

Burns is a d-man at the moment and I believe prefers that to playing the wing.

Burns is a d-man at the moment and I believe prefers that to playing the wing.

I'll give you that. But he also plays on a team going nowhere and is UFA'd for next year.

I think the Habs have a pretty good carrot to dangle, RW or not. He's 30 now and a Stanley Cup run would be good for his perceived legacy as a player.

Ryan Johansen

Desharnais Andrighetto Reway Beaulieu 1st 2016

Pacioretty Plekanec Gallagher

Fleischmann Galchenyuk Johansen

De la Rose Eller Weise

Byron Mitchell Smith-Pelly

Read this quote from a Hockey News story about defensemen being a commodity and some deals are out there to be made, including this quote...

"NJ.com’s Rich Chere recently speculated over Eric Gelinas’s future with the New Jersey Devils. Trade rumors are growing over Montreal Canadiens press-box resident Jarred Tinordi."

Hmmm...

Read this quote from a Hockey News story about defensemen being a commodity and some deals are out there to be made, including this quote...

"NJ.com’s Rich Chere recently speculated over Eric Gelinas’s future with the New Jersey Devils. Trade rumors are growing over Montreal Canadiens press-box resident Jarred Tinordi."

Hmmm...

It'd be a swap of one-trick ponies with highly contrasting styles. Size/defence but no offence vs lots of offence and little defence. There's a reason NJ has used Gelinas as a winger before, they don't trust him much in his own end. But no matter who you deal Tinordi for (assuming it's a player), there are going to be issues/flaws.

No, think of a prospect you don't want to trade...maybe McCarron or Scherbak, 1st pick, toss in a Beaulieu and then you might get Columbus's attention.

Don is absolutely right. You can't just offer players that we don't think have much value for a bonafide NHL star player (to be) and expect the other team to accept your proposal!

I can't believe i'm gonna say this, but with what I've seen from Pateryn this year (and last year) I think the Habs have to make THE move (to become a real S.C. contender) and trade Tinordi. I think it's safe to say that Gilbert won't be back next year, so that would leave us with Subban, Markov, Petry, Emelin, Beaulieu and Pateryn!! Now that's what I call a solid d-core!! It pains me to say it, but I don't think we have enough room for Tinner!

If we trade Tinordi, a 1st round pick and someone else (ie: Desharnais or Plex) I think we could get a decent return. Our most glaring need is for a right winger...

And if you trade DD or Plek our most glaring need will be a centre

Exactly,Although I have suggested it in the past, I would trade neither DD or Plex now. Very happy with DD when he isn't our #1, and he's been producing so well. Plex is playing as a #1. Besides, this team is as good as it is because it's a TEAM. Trading DD or Plex wouldn't help the chemistry at all. There have been enough leadership shakeups. The only people who make sense to trade while the team is performing so well are those such as Tinordi who is sitting in the box, or prospects we can afford to lose IMO.

Guest Stogey24

Ya, it's so hard to add without subtracting though. I have no idea what's going to take place, but wouldn't be surprised if Eller and Emelin are involved in some way

UFA Right Wingers on bad teams

Michael Grabner $3M

P.A. Parenteau $1M

Sam Gagner $3.25M

Kris Versteeg $2.2M

Ted Purcell $4.5M

David Jones $4M

RW under-performing right now

Marian Gaborik $4.8M for five more years

Jakob Silfverberg $3.75M for three more years

Dustin Brown $5.78M for six more years

T.J. Oshie $4.5M for one more year

Craig Smith $4.25M for four more years

RW on bad teams

Joffrey Lupul $5.25M for two more years

Cam Atkinson $3.5M for two more years

Wayne Simmonds $3.9M for three more years

Jarome Iginla $5.3M for one more year

Matt Read $3.6M for two more years

Jordan Eberle $6M for three more years

Wayne Simmonds is an interesting one

Eberle and Simmonds fall under the under-performing this month category. Both haven't been that good.

Philly is known to hold onto guys they believe in, as they held on to Couturier during his rough period.

If Habs could get Simmonds, boy I'd jump at it.

And if you trade DD or Plek our most glaring need will be a centre

All right then, throw in Eller instead of Plex. All i'm saying is that you're gonna have to give something if you want to get something respectable in return!

UFA Right Wingers on bad teams

Michael Grabner $3M

P.A. Parenteau $1M

Kris Versteeg $2.2M

RW under-performing right now

Jakob Silfverberg $3.75M for three more years

The Habs can't reacquire Parenteau until next July, that's a CBA rule for buyouts.

The other three I could see there being some interest in. Grabner is a speedy winger that might fit in with Montreal better than Toronto and can be a streaky scorer when he gets going. I also don't think he'll cost a whole lot to get. Versteeg is someone they apparently had interest in near the draft. Carolina didn't pay much for him and again, I don't think the acquisition cost would be too high. These wouldn't be long-term adds but someone to help out a bit in the short-term and perhaps replace what Semin was supposed to bring.

Silfverberg is someone I could see the Habs targeting. Bergevin has talked about getting 'guys that get you through the playoffs' and Silfverberg has had some playoff success. He's also 6'2 and a right hand shot, attributes that the top six could use. Bergevin also seems to have a good relationship with Bob Murray as they've done a few deals already. Given that Anaheim is a win-now team, a futures return probably won't cut it. I could see something involving Eller for Silfverberg though (not straight up). They're only a year and a bit apart age wise and Eller has one less year on his contract. Of course this fills one hole and creates another but at this stage of the season, I don't think the trade they can make now will net them that true 'final piece'. But perhaps the deal that's out there this early is a swap of better-fit players which something along these lines could be.

Simmonds would be a nice addition, but what would the Habs give up for him? Flyers aren't interested in defenseman. They are currently trying to trade one (Luke Schenn) to make room for Andrew MacDonald. They also have some solid defense prospects so Tinordi is unlikely to be very attractive to them. Also to acquire Simmonds, Canadiens would likely have to shed some salary (Semin seems like the only real option that doesn't hurt the team and he doesn't have much trade value). They only have about 3 million in cap space right now. So no prospects and draft picks alone for Simmonds.

Hearing a lot of rumors on several rumor sites regarding Eller as a trade chip. Doesn't make much sense to me. Trade Galchenyuk's left winger to acquire him a right winger? Still leaves a hole on his line. I suppose if it was an upgrade it's fine, but otherwise it doesn't work.

The Habs best bet is to trade from an area of depth (their defense) for a forward to play with Galchenyuk and Eller. Boston, Carolina, Colorado, Columbus, Edmonton, Los Angeles, and Pittsburgh are looking rumored to be looking to add a defenseman or two. Anaheim is looking to shake things up, Chicago, Ottawa, Toronto, and Vancouver are rumored to be looking for upgrades for their bluelines. Finally, the Islanders are looking for a defenseman in exchange for Hamonic. Perhaps there's a three way deal that could be worked out and the Habs could flip Hamonic for a forward. Not sure if Montreal has the pieces to trade for Hamonic, but maybe something could be worked out.

There was a rumor that Bergevin had interest in Vrbata about a week ago. Why not go after Higgins instead? Maybe the bridge between Higgins and Montreal has been burnt though? He has one more year at 2.5 mil. He's a solid all situation player with leadership qualities and can play any forward position.

Tinordi and Semin to Vancouver for Higgins? Canucks are trying to get younger, so Tinordi fits in with that. They also lack a big physical defenseman since trading away Bieksa. Tinordi likely gets a top 6 spot, likely playing ahead of Yannick Weber and probably Ben Hutton. Semin could be intriguing with the Sedins.

Edited by John B

In the last month... Eller and Galchenyuk have both gotten a point on all of 1 goal (and just 4 goals on the season)... I'm not worried about trading Galchenyuk's LW when his LW isn't clicking with him.

Again, 1 month and just 1 goal where they both have a point.

Also Ben Hutton is injured now, but he's been absolutely fantastic for the Canucks, and is playing good hockey on their first pairing. Tinordi is not playing ahead of Hutton, no chance on that. And Yanick Weber is a RD, don't see how Tinordi is ahead of him either.... (even if he was LD, I'm not sure he's better).