Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

I still think a solid 3rd pair LD that can play top-4 minutes for short stints like Oleksiak is a better option, or even Jokiharju in Buffalo (I know he plays RD, but could be a good pair with Romanov, solidifying the D core for years to come)

The demand for Ekholm is going to be too high

Edited by alfredoh2009

11 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I still think a solid 3rd pair LD that can play top-4 minutes for short stints like Oleksiak is a better option, or even Jokiharju in Buffalo (I know he plays RD, but could be a good pair with Romanov, solidifying the D core for years to come)

The demand for Ekholm is going to be too high

I agree it is a better option if you have to give up too much for Ekholm. The Habs have to think about what their defence will look like in 3 years as Weber is likely done, Petry will be getting toward the end and Chiarot is probably not here. They have a pretty good core of prospects (Brooks, Guhle, Norlinder, Struble, Harris and I guess you could still call Romanov a prospect), not all of them will turn out but they will need at least a couple to come through so trading one or two of these guys could really come back to bite them. It takes young defenceman time to develop. 

The Athletic had nine team exec proposals for deadline trades -- that they claimed made good sense. One of them was Eklund to Winnipeg, for Perreault, Heinola and a 1st.

That would match up fairly well with Armia, Brook and a 1st, I think.

34 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

The Athletic had nine team exec proposals for deadline trades -- that they claimed made good sense. One of them was Eklund to Winnipeg, for Perreault, Heinola and a 1st.

I think that's a pretty close comparable. Not a cheap price for Winnipeg, basically 2  1st round picks and a very useful 2 way forward.  I assume you meant Ekholm and not Eklund.

50 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I would do that no hesitation 

29 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I think that's a pretty close comparable. Not a cheap price for Winnipeg, basically 2  1st round picks and a very useful 2 way forward.  I assume you meant Ekholm and not Eklund.

Useful forward -- but UFA at the end of the season. Just like Armia.

And, yes, Ekholm. :(

4 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I just saw that. Hopefully the price isn't too steep for a 36 year old having a bad year that is about to become a UFA.

Indeed. However, we have to face the fact that our current C configuration is not acceptable for a team with pretensions to contending. A veteran C in the bottom-6 who can take draws is a must.

2 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Indeed. However, we have to face the fact that our current C configuration is not acceptable for a team with pretensions to contending. A veteran C in the bottom-6 who can take draws is a must.

Agreed.  He would help. It would take a little pressure off the kids. 

1 minute ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I can live with this. It’s the kind of deal you make when you’re all in on a playoff run.

And we are not giving up any significant futures.

5 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Perhaps but the Habs had 3 x 3rd round picks 3 x 5th round picks in this draft so it's an efficient use of resources. 

Yes, they had 14 picks, so I'd rather give 2 lower ones, than 1 higher one.

Still have 12 picks.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

And only seven days' quarantine now, right? So, Staal and Caufield would potentially only miss a few games.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Yup

Has it been officially announced?   All I could find were reports that it would be announced, not that it had been.

4 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

... The Habs have to think about what their defence will look like in 3 years as Weber is likely done, Petry will be getting toward the end and Chiarot is probably not here ...

Per Waite's comments that MB allegedly told him that Marc felt he had to do something or he would be next, I think that MB is thinking about this year's playoffs, not beyond ... if they don't go deep, MB could well be gone 

And if a team is constantly looking at what their lineup will look like in three years they would be handcuffing themselves in the present

14 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Per Waite's comments that MB allegedly told him that Marc felt he had to do something or he would be next, I think that MB is thinking about this year's playoffs, not beyond ... if they don't go deep, MB could well be gone 

And if a team is constantly looking at what their lineup will look like in three years they would be handcuffing themselves in the present

I am not saying that you focus totally on the future but I would be concerned if a GM wasn't somewhat forward looking especially in today's salary cap world.  Today's move getting Staal was a great move for the present without sacrificing much of the future, 

6 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I am not saying that you focus totally on the future but I would be concerned if a GM wasn't somewhat forward looking especially in today's salary cap world.  Today's move getting Staal was a great move for the present without sacrificing much of the future, 

Don't disagree that they should ... but when a GM is looking at a years' paid vacation then unemployment their vision tends to get VERY short-term