Mar. 3, Canadiens vs Bruins, 7:30 PM

dlbalr

I gotta say I was surprised when Subban, PK freaking Subban, diffused the situation when he was hit into the net. Shows the kids buys in and believes in the system and more importantly, his team. He saw they migh have gotten called and they didn't need to take a penalty right then. Great seeing PK making a mature decision.

I don't know what MT told Kaberle, but he's done something no coach has done before. Kaberle is actually shooting the puck and being semi-reliable defensively. I was actually getting frustrated at Kaberle for not passing at point of last night's game. If he's going to be in the lineup much longer, it's going to make him a tad more unpredictable with the puck as well. Gotta say, I had doubts in MT, but he's sure stomping all of those doubts.

Now I have a question. Nearly half way through the season, we're sitting at 1st in the conference. At what point do we start to seriously consider us contenders if this play continues?

We're contenders now. This is the halfway point of the season basically. Until we fall out of the 1-5 position, we'll continue to be contenders.

I think we need to look at Julien's comments as sheer tactics. He is looking down a longer road and knows his Bruins will have to beat us, quite possibly in the playoffs. If he can get the refs on high alert for Habs 'diving,' he gives his team a major edge going forward. If he can get the whole league on high alert to Habs' 'diving,' he gets us off our game more systematically, and also decreases the odds of punitive suspensions in the event that one of his players injures one of ours. Unless the refs and league push back by turning the microscope onto the Bruins, it's a can't-miss strategy. The only real risk is that he has also given the Bruins an excuse to lose to us (which is what Dryden wrote about Harry Sinden's endless mewling about league favouritism vis-à-vis the Habs).

In a perverse way, it's a compliment to the Canadiens. He's doing this because he sees us as a threat.

I just want to point one thing out.

In the second period, when the Habs played the Bruins game, and got caught up in their B.S. Thuggery, the Bruins outscored us and took the lead.

In the third period, when we played hockey and didn't fall for their tricks. We scored 2 goals and won the game.

Thats how you beat Boston. Don't get caught playing their game. Play our game, Speed and Skill over thuggery.

The best revenge for Chara acting like a gorilla, is to beat them on the scoreboard. This loss hurts Chara more than any punch can. We are in first place and he can cry on his mom's shoulder, I wonder how crying on bigfoot's shoulder is.

Yeah, i'm starting to come around to seeing the viewpoint as being correct. The Bruin's thug like behavior can't be matched and shouldn't. Having a goon isn't going to help this situation, and I don't want to see a John Scott eating up four minutes of ice time for the three games where he can actually make a diffence. I would like to see someone like Staubitz on the team to play 40 games however. He wasn't that much of a liability, and it's nice to actually win some fights. Overall, this is a very tough team for the skill level we have. I would like to see Michael Ryder's spot next year filled with Ryan Clowe, to continue the overall toughness. Then we will have the following players who can play, and play tough- White, Moen, Prust, Tinordi, Clowe. That's enough. The best thing to do is not get sucked into the nonsense. This is the way the Bruins play, they are a disgrace, and we have to get them while they are in the box.

It's really something...When did the Bruins become noble warriors like William Wallace? You know? Braveheart...I guess Claude Julien's father never sat him down and gave him the act like you've been there before talk.

We can gloat but they have 3 games at hand, so I won't yet. Jullien can cry all he wants and the media can say all they want. The facts will speak for themselves.

The B's have a helluva schedule this month too. I don't see them maintaining their current pace with such a packed schedule.

Man, there really isn't a team I hate more than the Bs. Buncha dirty, whining, cheap shot...argh! In the could, shoulda, woulda category, Montreal's record would be even more impressive had that not blown leads, in any of the 6 one goal games that they've lost. They've only posted real stinkaroos against the Sens (5-1) and, well, that other blowout. I'd say being "in" every game, save for 2, this season means we've definitely got a good team on our hands.

Sadly, the Bruins are on a campaign to tarnish the habs as Cheap divers and it might work in upcoming games. The whining from Julien and many Bruin broadcasters is about the next game, not this one.

You know,its bad when Milbury is calling out their BS...

http://www.csnne.com/blog/bruins-talk/milbury-felger-debate-if-canadiens-were-embellishing

Note they never mentioned the high sticks not called against the Bruins...

Holy crap! Who was that guy acting and sounding like Mike Milbury?? He actually gave it to the Boston reporters pretty good. He came up with good arguments and totally shut them up!! Unbelievable! Why isn't milbury like this when he's on teh CBC???

Very impressed my Milbury's view of the game. He obviously watched it from a non-biased view. That is the kind of journalism that has been missing from pro sports. Funny how jullien didn't think the refs like Montreal when he was coaching them. Maybe they don't like him? They missed the crosscheck, it happened. The missed the boarding on PK, some high sticks and a few other calls both ways. Chara lost it. He lost his head and hurt his team. At least this time he didn't break someone's neck although he went after a guy he knew had head issues and pummelled it. The league better watch that lummox. That is wrong on so many levels. He has real anger management issues that will one day lead to him permanently crippling someone. That is what should be focussed on. Not supposed dives they were really just more missed calls. Now if the refs had called penalties to the Bruins on the so called dives and it was a one way parade to the box I can see a coach being pissed. A pro hockey player has to be able to rise above the missed calls. A good coach doesn't blame the officials, he was without saying so. Piss poor coaching tactic. Poor form Claude. Mr Chara please go have your head examined. You need help.

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure how Chara didn't get called for instigating as well as interference on Emelin. He skated from the blue line to Emelin, hit him, then started throwing punches. The one guy on Montreal we don't want fighting is Emelin, could get seriously injured with the plate in his face. Bruins fans can say what they want, Emelin stood up against a 6'9 mammoth of a man and fought even though he risked serious injury again.

I'm not sure how Chara didn't get called for instigating as well as interference on Emelin. He skated from the blue line to Emelin, hit him, then started throwing punches. The one guy on Montreal we don't want fighting is Emelin, could get seriously injured with the plate in his face. Bruins fans can say what they want, Emelin stood up against a 6'9 mammoth of a man and fought even though he risked serious injury again.

A player isn't often penalized twice for the same play. If a player without the puck gets hit with a high stick, does the player who highsticked him also get interference because it happened away from the puck?

EDIT: What was said above.

Julien is such a whiner. When you lose a game because you're captain lost his cool, don't blame the other team for embellishing so refs take their side. That's weak. I'm starting to think Julien is an idiot coach and really had nothing to do with Boston winning the Stanley Cup. He just happened to be standing behind the bench when the Bruins gooned their way to a Championship.

Tool.

A player isn't often penalized twice for the same play. If a player without the puck gets hit with a high stick, does the player who highsticked him also get interference because it happened away from the puck?

Why not? Ryan White has the roughing/unsporstmanlike It's not like instigator is in any way related to interference. Once could argue that High Stick OR interference could be called on a play. I fully expected Chara to get tossed on that play, however, his reputation as a good guy held again. Had it been Ryan White (or a similar 4th line scrub), for instance, it would've been a game misconduct.

It's just priceless to see the Bruins whine about the Habs. That's when you know the Canadiens have established themselves and are becoming the #1 target in the East. Go Habs!

Last game was another example of how a monster Chara is. I wish Emelin would keep his full cage on.

• Upvote 1

I just watched the Mike Millbury interview, whos is that guy and what did they do with the real mad mike? He sounded very logical and sensible. I can count on one hand (and i don't need the thumb) how many times I have agreed with Mike. But this time he made sense, absolutely amazing. Those other two idiots need to be put out of the public's misery. Homerism is one thing but that was incredible. Ever since The Ape know as Chara hit patches, I have been advocating someone break his ankle. I recall he did not get suspended because he is "clean" player. Well after last night we can put that piece of bs in the garbage. I understand sticking up for your team mates but that was way over the top. The 6 ft 9 Ape who Skates needs a broken ankle, it is only fair.

Last game was another example of how a monster Chara is. I wish Emelin would keep his full cage on.

I believe (although I'm not 100% sure) that no player can wear a full cage permanently as you see at the NCAA level. It is permissible for facial injuries sustained but that's it to the best of my knowledge. In Emelin's case, he didn't need one last season nor did he need one in the KHL so now that whatever happened before the lockout has healed, he had to get rid of it (provided I'm interpreting it correctly).

The league rules on this are rather vague though (Sec. 9.6): http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26285

Oh, and fresh off of yesterday's odd combination of lines, the Habs have new lines today that make more sense:

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gallagher

Prust-Plekanec-Ryder

Galchenyuk-Eller-Gionta

Moen-White-Armstrong

I believe (although I'm not 100% sure) that no player can wear a full cage permanently as you see at the NCAA level. It is permissible for facial injuries sustained but that's it to the best of my knowledge. In Emelin's case, he didn't need one last season nor did he need one in the KHL so now that whatever happened before the lockout has healed, he had to get rid of it (provided I'm interpreting it correctly).

The league rules on this are rather vague though (Sec. 9.6): http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26285

Oh, and fresh off of yesterday's odd combination of lines, the Habs have new lines today that make more sense:

Prust-Plekanec-Ryder

Galchenyuk-Eller-Gionta

Moen-White-Armstrong

Thanks Brian for the note about the rules. Didn't know that.

When I look at our lines, it's difficult to believe we're first in the East. Habs are playing great. Trailing but never down. And that streak we're on, after a brutal loss against the Leafs. Love the resilience and attitude.

While your right that you can't be called for 2 penalties on the same hit, the first penalty was already called when Chara started throwing punches at a downed Emelin. They were 2 separate incidents on the same play. A highstick away from the play is a single incident that falls under 2 penalty rules. What Chara did was first interfere by hitting Emelin, penalty was being called, then he proceeded to punch Emelin when he was down. Your example would be the same if Chara started punching Emelin to knock him down.

The instigator is always called if a player travels a distance to start a fight. Chara traveled from the blue line to below the red line and showed by him punching Emelin while he was down, that it was the intention to fight.

Chara has been a goon (and someone who has taken advantage of a pituitary condition) since I first saw him play with the Kentucky Thoroughblades of the AHL in 1997). www.hockeydb.com doesn't lie re the penalty minutes

Prust-Plekanec-Ryder

Galchenyuk-Eller-Gionta

Moen-White-Armstrong

That's more like it. Those are the lines I suggested on Sunday. I think Ryder will benefit playing with Prust/Plex.

I gotta say I was surprised when Subban, PK freaking Subban, diffused the situation when he was hit into the net. Shows the kids buys in and believes in the system and more importantly, his team. He saw they migh have gotten called and they didn't need to take a penalty right then. Great seeing PK making a mature decision.

I don't know what MT told Kaberle, but he's done something no coach has done before. Kaberle is actually shooting the puck and being semi-reliable defensively. I was actually getting frustrated at Kaberle for not passing at point of last night's game. If he's going to be in the lineup much longer, it's going to make him a tad more unpredictable with the puck as well. Gotta say, I had doubts in MT, but he's sure stomping all of those doubts.

Now I have a question. Nearly half way through the season, we're sitting at 1st in the conference. At what point do we start to seriously consider us contenders if this play continues?

Contenders when they clinch home ice in the 1st round and win that first series in 5 or less,

We're contenders now. This is the halfway point of the season basically. Until we fall out of the 1-5 position, we'll continue to be contenders.

Pretenders can fluke half a shortened season, lets see how this road trip treats them.

I believe they can do well and 11 more wins should virtually look up a playoff spot.

Holy crap! Who was that guy acting and sounding like Mike Milbury?? He actually gave it to the Boston reporters pretty good. He came up with good arguments and totally shut them up!! Unbelievable! Why isn't milbury like this when he's on teh CBC???

my mind is literally blown

Best video.

I can't see it?