2012-13 NHL Playoffs Thread

Here's the thing. If the Bruins could absolutely dominate a team as offensively stacked as the Pens, is there any reason for thinking that Chicago - another high-skill, up-tempo team - will be different?

Just curious as to what folks think.

Here's the thing. If the Bruins could absolutely dominate a team as offensively stacked as the Pens, is there any reason for thinking that Chicago - another high-skill, up-tempo team - will be different?

Just curious as to what folks think.

Yes.

1) Chicago can score on the Powerplay which is one thing that killed pittsburgh

2) Chicago in Keith and Seabrook have 2 defencemen better than any one on Pitt.

3) Crawford is better than Vokoun.

4) Chicago dismantled an LA team that is certainly bigger than the Bruins, and might be tougher.

Chicago can win this, no guarantees, but they have some things going for them.

If you can beat Boston in a puck race and neutralize them low, you can beat them.

Montreal has been doing it for years and it's only when they stop doing it that they lose.

Chicago tends to beat teams in the West doing exactly that.

If the Stache keeps to strategy, I see this a five game series for the Hawks, six at worst.

Remember how Crosby Lost it with Chara during game one? Here is why...

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/06/15/zdeno-chara-punched-sidney-crosby-in-the-jaw

Naturally, Chara denies the incident based on not getting a penalty. Ah Chara... Watch the video.

Of course, Chara isn't a dirty player who would intentionally punch the best player in the league on his healing jaw, just like he would never direct an unsuspecting players head into a stanchion. :)

You'd be hard pressed to find a clean player in the league. I agree people acting like Chara is a clean player is silly. What bugs me is the obsession with a player being clean. Richard wasn't clean. Howe wasn't clean. Clark wasn't clean. Lindros at one point was the most dominant player in the league and he was anything but clean. Someone actually voted David Backes for the Lady Byng trophy. When people say they don't want to see Subban slewfooting players, I just don't want to see him penalized for it. Take every advantage you can, just don't get caught.

I'm not too appalled by what looked like a pretty standard hockey-scrum action on Chara's part. Still, I think there's a difference - or should be - between playing "dirty" and deliberately choosing actions that can end guys' careers or even their lives. Plekanec is notorious for hacking guys up with his stick. Not cool, but he's not inflicting anything life-changing, just a few welts. But Bertuzzi on Moore, McSorely on Brashear, Chara on Patches , or even Weber on Zetterberg - these go way beyond stickwork or cheap-shots or elbows or shots taken behind the ref's back. Crosby has a concussion history and any player who intentionally sets out to aggravate this condition (and I don't mean Crosby shouldn't be hit or treated like any other player) is betraying the game and anyone who cares - not to mention basic human decency. Similarly, deliberately ramming a kid's face into a steel stanchion at high speed is not "playing dirty;" it's absolutely unconscionable, criminally negligent; scarcely different from lying in wait in the parking lot and hitting him in the face with a lead pipe.

You're right that many of the greats were dirty players. And many of them also acted in ways that cross the line into the inexcusable. Richard on Lacoe and the ref was unacceptable, Clark on Kharlamov was a disgrace. Howe ended guys' careers for the simple sin of deking him out. All that stuff should be neither tolerated nor excused.

What makes matters more frustrating is that Chara was universally exonerated for his attempted murder of Pacioretty on the grounds that he's some kind of saint: "not that kind of player." In fact he is that kind of player, he's just selective about when he shows it.

I can hardly bear to watch because I want the Bruins to lose so badly. And I'm pessimistic than when they bring their "A" game, nobody can beat them. :cry_smile:

Same here haha

I can't get anyone to go watch at the pub either.. I'm in Vancouver and no one wants to see a Chicago-Boston final :P

What a colossal embarrassment for the NHL, in my opinion. Oh sure, the drama was great, but the quality of hockey was just terrible. And forget the refs, what I'm referring to is the quality of play the guys on the ice were able to offer. They were dead tired, and the hockey was worse than brutal. If this is the kind of product the NHL has to offer for its signature series, then I think the whole product needs a major re-think. Watching that abysmal mess was proof positive that the season is far, far too long. Hockey needs to end when May rolls around, not shortly after summer hits. No one could skate anymore out there!

I realize the drama and the ref watch is compelling stuff in and of itself - and for some I guess that's enough, but any objective appraisal of the quality of hockey can only conclude that there's something severely wrong with the NHL when it lets a farce like this last so long.

I love the way the Bruins lost this game. Couldnt have ended any better way. Looking forward to a game seven with a chance at the cup and then BAM BAM... you are down one goal with less than a minute remaining. Makes me forget our chokegames earlier this season. HAH!

Jagr with no goals in the playoffs and some people here still wish he signed ;)

I believe it's the first time since the 1992 postseason that a player had double digit playoff assists without scoring a single goal.

• Upvote 1

This was an exciting nail-biter, I'm not sure what Colin is on about.

AWESOME to see the Bruins lose, especially in such dramatic fashion. Not only us Habs fans are grinning with schadenfreuden, but I'd imagine Leafs fans as well.

Nice to see the small, speedy Blackhawks take the prize too. They knocked out the two toughest teams in the league, both with elite goaltending - conclusive proof that mobility and guile can beat size and strength. I thought that Crawford or Keith should have won the Conne Smythe.

This was an exciting nail-biter, I'm not sure what Colin is on about.

AWESOME to see the Bruins lose, especially in such dramatic fashion. Not only us Habs fans are grinning with schadenfreuden, but I'd imagine Leafs fans as well.

Nice to see the small, speedy Blackhawks take the prize too. They knocked out the two toughest teams in the league, both with elite goaltending - conclusive proof that mobility and guile can beat size and strength. I thought that Crawford or Keith should have won the Conne Smythe.

Colin will occasionally try his hand at sarcasm.

Although I was disappointed in the Habs fate, I thought the playoffs were great and the final epic. Great, tight games. Yes, I hate the lack of reffing in the playoffs, but there was still some intense games.

To be honest, didnt think the Habs would have beat either of these teams in a seven game series. They just are not there yet.