Lecavalier bought out...

TheDriveFor25

I'd imaging Vinny will still be looking for $4m+ per season, he could easily get $5m+.

Holy shit!!?? I guess I could offer him 4 million per year, but a maximum of 3 years. I certainly wouldn't offer 5 million$ per year for 5 years..that would be ridiculous! I don't think he's worth that much!

I've got nothing against Vinny, I kinda like him, but he's 33 years old, and will probably never score 40 goals a season again!

I think between $4--5 mil is defensible for a huge 60-70 point C and proven playoff producer. More than that becomes insane.

He's averaged 65 games a year over the past 3 seasons...and averaged about 50 points a season over that span. I'm not so sure he's worth 5 million per year!

I'd take vinny over all of them. Horton would be great, but he will want $6m+ and is injury prone

We don't need him and he doesn't want us. I'd rather go for a bigger winger like Horton, Iginla ,Morrow or Clarkson.

He will easily get $5m+

I'd offer him $5.5m for 1 year, $10m/ 2 years or $13m/3 years

I imagine someone will give him $5.5m/yr for 5 years

I think between $4--5 mil is defensible for a huge 60-70 point C and proven playoff producer. More than that becomes insane.

Wow, I was sure that Tampa wouldn't buy him out.

Of course we will go after him, but so will everyone else. Bergevin will be crucified if he doesn't try, even though centre isn't our most pressing need. The thing about dumping Desharnais is that his value would be low, and he may actually be the one with more 60 point seasons left in the tank. But there's no question about who will be more valuable come playoff time (if Vinny stays healthy).

I just don't want to see him on the Leafs or Sens.

Lecavalier didn't waste much time quashing my theory of a one year deal. He'd like a deal that takes him into retirement. That's probably 5 years at a minimum.

So 5 years @ $5.5M/year is what it's going to take to sign him?

Galchenyuk will be our #1 centre in 2-3 years, then Eller, then probably Plekanec if he signs an extension. Not sure whe DD fits in. In a dream world, it'd be nice to have Lecavalier. But on paper, it makes no sense with the money he's probably looking for.

Top three teams I think will go after Lecavalier and give him the deal he wants:

- Detroit. They have $10M free and will be calling up Tatar. Can easily pay him $6M on a long term deal.

- Nashville. Around $12M free and even more free with Sergei Kostitsyn leaving. Really badly need a scoring forward up front. Allows Vinny to get out of the East and stay anonymous.

- Dallas. $13M free. Veteran friendly. Would be treated as the top star of the team. Gets out of the East.

Any team that gets him has to remember you will rarely see a full season of Vinny.

So 5 years @ $5.5M/year is what it's going to take to sign him?

Galchenyuk will be our #1 centre in 2-3 years, then Eller, then probably Plekanec if he signs an extension. Not sure whe DD fits in. In a dream world, it'd be nice to have Lecavalier. But on paper, it makes no sense with the money he's probably looking for.

I would ask how he feels about the possibility of playing wing in the later years of the contract. If he's open to the idea, then I seriously consider taking out the chequebook.

Conversely, there's also something to be said for dealing with the glut, when it happens, via trade or other mechanisms. E.g., if in three years something has to give, you could trade Vinny or Pleks at the deadline. I'll admit to having a history of being a bit too enthusiastic about hypothetical player acquisitions or retentions, but I also have a sneaking admiration for teams like Philly or the Rangers that go full-bore after the player they want and sort out the implications later (notwithstanding the trouble they sometimes get into as a result).

I'm really curious about whether Vancouver makes a big push for Vinny. They need him desperately, but they're capped out - but may be less so after they buyout Luongo, Ballard, or whoever - and most intriguingly, Lecavalier and Tortellini have a chequered history. A lot of potential intrigue there.

Lecavalier will get $7 Million or more per season for atleast 3 to 4 years. Centres are the most sough after commodity in the NHL right now. Toronto easily has the cap room to make a dumbass move like that.

Lecavalier will get $7 Million or more per season for atleast 3 to 4 years. Centres are the most sough after commodity in the NHL right now. Toronto easily has the cap room to make a dumbass move like that.

Leafs have $19M free but only 11 players on contract.

Lecavalier didn't waste much time quashing my theory of a one year deal. He'd like a deal that takes him into retirement. That's probably 5 years at a minimum.

I am ok with that, 5 years at 5 mill and 3 years at 3 mill. More than that i cannot in good conscience pay. :habslogo:

Jeeez..

I'd actively be trying to package DD 25th and 1 of Markov, Weber or even Diaz to move up into the top 10 and sign Vinny in a heart beat.

Jeeez..

I'd actively be trying to package DD 25th and 1 of Markov, Weber or even Diaz to move up into the top 10 and sign Vinny in a heart beat.

It can't really work that way though. Lecavalier can't sign until July 5th, or 5 days after the draft. There's always a verbal commitment I suppose but there probably isn't enough time to get something done before Sunday - I can't see him agreeing to terms until sometime inside the early July free agent negotiation window.

I think he might go to Washington.

-It's warm, which he likes.

-He gets to play with Ovechkin and they badly need a center.

-Oates and his system freeing up the offense.

I really don't think it's in the cards for Montreal. I think Bergevin is set in his ways with his plan, and that doesn't include over paying on an aging asset. I do think he will do a deadline victory lap here in 4-5 years.

I think he might go to Washington.

-It's warm, which he likes.

-He gets to play with Ovechkin and they badly need a center.

-Oates and his system freeing up the offense.

I really don't think it's in the cards for Montreal. I think Bergevin is set in his ways with his plan, and that doesn't include over paying on an aging asset. I do think he will do a deadline victory lap here in 4-5 years.

Aren't the Caps letting Ribs go because of $$$ already ?

Picking up Laich would actually be the first good move for Feaster. The flames aren't going to be anywhere near the playoffs, but Laich would be a good guy to have around kids during the year and then can be moved at the trade deadline next year for some picks.

They have a lot of potential buyouts, Brooks Laich and Jeff Schultz are good candidates. Maybe Jay Feaster will pick him up off waivers, to see if it's impossible for him to get fired.

Lecavalier is better at 70% than most of names I've seen come forward. I put him in a category along with Ryder, he is top six and free, all you have to do is sign him. I suspect that amount and term will send MB away. If MB stays consistant to the plan and doesn't yield to the pressure, he will pass on Vinny like he did with Ryder.

You have to try and get him.. Remember, the NHL is a business and bringing in Lecavalier would be huge for merchandise sales. I would order a jersey the day he signed...