Playoffs Round 1 Montreal vs Tampa Bay

johnnyhasbeen

How did people feel about the "shoot from anywhere" approach to Lindback last night? I understand the strategy of pressuring a goalie who isn't known for great control, but I also wonder whether such a strategy takes players off their game, in the sense that they keep taking low-percentage shots instead of creating a higher-percentage play like they normally would. Given our domination in the TB zone, it's possible we might have scored more goals had we done the "normal" thing. In a weird way this might be showing the kid too much respect. If he isn't a great goalie, then don't alter your game plan because of him. Not a complaint - but I'm curious what you all think.

I thought a few of them just about went in and sometimes they were able to get the puck afterwards so it wasn't all for not.

How did people feel about the "shoot from anywhere" approach to Lindback last night? I understand the strategy of pressuring a goalie who isn't known for great control, but I also wonder whether such a strategy takes players off their game, in the sense that they keep taking low-percentage shots instead of creating a higher-percentage play like they normally would. Given our domination in the TB zone, it's possible we might have scored more goals had we done the "normal" thing. In a weird way this might be showing the kid too much respect. If he isn't a great goalie, then don't alter your game plan because of him. Not a complaint - but I'm curious what you all think.

I think it made sense. Teams tweak their game plan based on goalies even during the regular season (shoot high or low, glove or blocker side, etc) so it makes sense to do it here until it stops working. Or, if you want to see a varied game plan, make TB defend more around the net by shooting from any angle and then switch back to a typical strategy where they look for the higher percentage play and have more time/space to do so with the Lightning d-men covering closer to the crease.

I thought a few of them just about went in and sometimes they were able to get the puck afterwards so it wasn't all for not.

I agree, chuck it at em from everywhere, he has been very sketchy all year and a nice weak one from below goalline may kill whatever last weeks performances confidence he got.

And if he normally sucks with rebounds, seems a good plan also.

From what TSN.CA is saying, Bishop is nowhere close to returning. He's skating in equipment, but isn't even taking shots.

How bad is that "upper body injury" that they're afraid to throw a few pucks at him?

I bet he's only skating to play mind games. Wouldn't surprise me if he's gone for the first round.

From what TSN.CA is saying, Bishop is nowhere close to returning. He's skating in equipment, but isn't even taking shots.

Apparently he took some shots today. Still, it sounds as if he'll miss a couple more games at least.

Ondrej Palat skated today for Tampa Bay and the speculation is that he will be available for tomorrow. Officially, he'll be a game-time decision. Bishop skated with the coaches and took some light shots but won't be ready for Sunday. No word on who starts Game 3 yet for the Lightning. J.T. Brown, who missed some time yesterday with a back issue, will play tomorrow

Not playing Tom Pyatt has been such a dumb move by Tampa. He always plays great against the Habs.

You are kidding right? played 9 games has 1 point(asst) is -1 .457f/o per centage ? That is his entire career against Montreal. Hell I hope they do play him, he got into all of 27 games this year with the bolts.

• Upvote 1

Say what you want about the officiating in this series (Tampa fans really feel they got a raw deal), but it does highlight one big difference in these teams.

The Habs scored 16 good goals in 4 games with no question as to their validity and no bad penalty calls helping out.

The Bolts scored 10 goals in 4 games ... some say 11. Of the ones that counted, 2 were on bullshit penalty calls, and one was by pushing puck and Price together into the net.

Tampa could barely put the puck in the net without the assistance of controversy. Montreal just quietly dominated the rest of the time.

Edited by Jeff Price (no relation)
  • Upvote 2

Say what you want about the officiating in this series (Tampa fans really feel they got a raw deal), but it does highlight one big difference in these teams.

The Habs scored 16 good goals in 4 games with no question as to their validity and no bad penalty calls helping out.

The Bolts scored 10 goals in 4 games ... some say 11. Of the ones that counted, 2 were on bullshit penalty calls, and one was by pushing puck and Price together into the net.

Tampa could barely put the puck in the net without the assistance of controversy. Montreal just quietly dominated the rest of the time.

yeah that is pretty much true.

The media wants to talk about french refs, and latvian goalies as reasons the Habs won. My rant on why its time to give the Habs credit for earning this win.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2014/04/23/time-give-habs-credit/

Excelent article!

You expressed my feelings exactly. Not one person from CBC or TSN is giving the Canadiens any credit for their sweep. All they do is bitch about the calls they thought should have gone the other way even when a retired Kerry Fraser ( who seems bias ) stands by and defends the calls. Notice how they never talk about or show video montage of the missed or soft calls that went in TB's favor. Not that I think the 2 controversial calls (we all know the ones I'm referring to) were even bad calls but hypothetically if they were, that still does not equate to Tampa being swept in 4! Even if the Habs dont get those calls, they could have easily come out on top in those games anyways.

Excelent article!

You expressed my feelings exactly. Not one person from CBC or TSN is giving the Canadiens any credit for their sweep. All they do is bitch about the calls they thought should have gone the other way even when a retired Kerry Fraser ( who seems bias ) stands by and defends the calls. Notice how they never talk about or show video montage of the missed or soft calls that went in TB's favor. Not that I think the 2 controversial calls (we all know the ones I'm referring to) were even bad calls but hypothetically if they were, that still does not equate to Tampa being swept in 4! Even if the Habs dont get those calls, they could have easily come out on top in those games anyways.

Not just one retired referee. Kerry Fraser, Paul Stewart, and Stephane Auger (yeah, yeah, I know) are all in agreement that the call fits the rule definition. (Paul Stewart has a serious beef with the rules, but nevertheless the rule it is.)

Excelent article!

Well said Ben. No doubt about it. Les Boys steamrolled them.