Round 3: Rangers vs Habs

dlbalr

With the 3rd round not set to start for another couple of days, let's get the discussion thread going. We don't know the full schedule yet but here's what is set in stone schedule-wise (all times EST):

1) Sat., May 17 @ MTL, 1 PM

2) Mon., May 19 @ MTL, 8 PM

3) Thurs., May 22 @ NYR, 8 PM

Useful stat or meaningless number? Lundqvist has a 4-5-2 record with a 3.87 GAA and a .876 SV% in 12 starts in Montreal. However, he hasn't played at the Bell Centre in over two years.

Yeah, I'm definitely eating some crow after game 7. I'm the wake of game five, I thought they were all done, and after being bullish on the Habs for the whole postseason, I lost the faith.

Oh well, I appreciate not having my nose rubbed in it. And with my comments about Bergevin, only to see him get Vanek, Weise and Weaver, there's plenty of fodder for the man who can use a search engine.

• Upvote 1

The vanek deal was the turning point. It was the message by management to the exam that they were going for it. It also the first time in a LONG time we went after an elite player still in his prime.

It was also a boast to fans like me sick if us signing or trading for grunts and has beens!

WhT was amazing was how little we gave up. Compare this moves to what we gave to get a washed up Schneider or a tanguay, who was clearly. It an elite player anymore.

The weaver, Weisse deals worked ot amazingly, but we're to to fill holes created by injuries. I doubt even management really thought they would replace the existing players.

Yeah, I'm definitely eating some crow after game 7. I'm the wake of game five, I thought they were all done, and after being bullish on the Habs for the whole postseason, I lost the faith.

Oh well, I appreciate not having my nose rubbed in it. And with my comments about Bergevin, only to see him get Vanek, Weise and Weaver, there's plenty of fodder for the man who can use a search engine.

The vanek deal was the turning point. It was the message by management to the exam that they were going for it. It also the first time in a LONG time we went after an elite player still in his prime.

It was also a boast to fans like me sick if us signing or trading for grunts and has beens!

WhT was amazing was how little we gave up. Compare this moves to what we gave to get a washed up Schneider or a tanguay, who was clearly. It an elite player anymore.

The weaver, Weisse deals worked ot amazingly, but we're to to fill holes created by injuries. I doubt even management really thought they would replace the existing players.

The Weaver and Weise deals remind me of Yzerman trading for Bishop. He was vaunted, but he made the same exact deal for Anders Lindback the year earlier.

I'm too confident. In a bad way.

Lundqvist sucks against Montreal historically, especially in the Bell Centre. He's on an incredible tear right now but Montreal he never plays up to. We dealt with the same thing when it came to Tuukka Rask. Makes me think we could run the King out of his crease onto an easy Cup finals appearance.

But there's also St. Louis and Richards who burned us when they were Bolts and the fact the Rangers have been slow starters in this post-season. I could see us going up 2-0, getting cocky and dropping games on the road instead of finishing them off, giving Lundqvist time to get his confidence back.

Ugh. I don't see in any world the Habs losing to the Rangers but I remember 1996. I was 11. That scarred me as a child. That team was way better than remembered. Turgeon, Damphousse, Recchi, Rucinsky, Koivu, Bure, Kovalenko, Savage, all made up a top nine that had huge potential. Won the first two games then proceeded to lose three straight one goal games before getting dumped in game six. The horror. The horror.

With the 3rd round not set to start for another couple of days, let's get the discussion thread going. We don't know the full schedule yet but here's what is set in stone schedule-wise (all times EST):

Useful stat or meaningless number? Lundqvist has a 4-5-2 record with a 3.87 GAA and a .876 SV% in 12 starts in Montreal. However, he hasn't played at the Bell Centre in over two years.

NHL.com only has Saturday's game. Where did you get the others ?

Cursory glances:

Habs-36 goals/11 games 3.27

NYR-34/14 2.42

Price-25 GA-2.15 GAA

King Henrik-27-1.99

Subban-4/8/12

Gallagher-4/5/9

Eller-4/5/9

Vanek-5/3/8

Richards-4/5/9

Zuccarello-3/5/8

Pouliot-3/5/8

St Louis-3/5/8

Poised for breakouts

Max Pac- 3/4/7

Nash-0/5/5

Some thoughts:

*Pacioretty is from New Canaan, CT, so he will have plenty of family on the road.

*The Rangers have a great cast of secondary scoring in Hagelin, Zuccarello and Brassard.

*Henrik is still King, but Price in without a doubt the "Prince in Waiting." Lol

*Rangers fourth line is the weaker of the two. Boyle-Moore-Dorsett.

*The Rangers lack offensive pop on the back end. Girardi leads defensemen with 5 points, and McDonagh has three. After that, they have stalwart Marc Staal, Anton Steal man, and either Kevin Klein, or John Moore. Unless Vigneault wants intangibles, Diaz will be on the sidelines.

I expect a fun, clean, fast-paced series, but I like the Habs in 6.

NHL.com only has Saturday's game. Where did you get the others ?

One of the TV broadcasts had the two hypothetical schedules, those were the dates that matched (assuming I remembered correctly from yesterday to now).

I saw the same schedule on RDS.

I also think this will be a close series. A low scoring series, however I do believe our boys should be able to win it in 6 games. Lundquist has problems in Montreal. It will be very important to score on him early...keep his confidence low. DO NOT take the Rangers lightly or else the Rags could take us out.

The reason why i believe we'll win in 6 is that from everything i've seen and read, our boys are concentrated and seem to be on a mission. I doubt they'll take the rangers lightly!

I'd actually say 5 games. Not because I'm taking the ranger's lightly, but I suspect either 5 or 7. If Montreal can win all their home games and steal one in New York, this is over in 5. Otherwise, I see no reason to think a series that close won't require Montreal to go back home to finish it off.

One of the TV broadcasts had the two hypothetical schedules, those were the dates that matched (assuming I remembered correctly from yesterday to now).

Your right, but I have no idea how they will ever play at MSG there are like 2 events every day in that building.

Therrien isn't about to let the team take the Rangers lightly, and neither is Price or Subban. We will work hard and win.... just like the first 2 series....

Your right, but I have no idea how they will ever play at MSG there are like 2 events every day in that building.

There's no basketball games to interfere this year as the Knicks missed the playoffs (and what a joy that was to watch them miss with that roster...). That should help a fair bit in terms of scheduling.

just praying we don't get Bob Cole doing the broadcasts. At 80, he's like my senile uncle. Tends to describe the game like he's calling radio. Doesn't know when to shut up going to commercials.

Also, sickened up here with the talking heads on Sportsnet (yes you Gord Stellick) defending Lucic's poor sportsmanship. Blaming Dale for telling what Lucic said to him. They must be getting discounts at Lucic Vasectomy clinic

I am sooo excited about the CH in the third round! It is a great time to be a Habs fan. It is going to be interesting to see how MT coaches against Vigneault. I think that it will be a very tight series.

Pouliot is playing with a chip on his shoulder against the Habs, and his line with Brassard will be dangerous against the Habs.

The first prediction is in!

Tim Wharnsby-Rangers in 7

Canadians/Canadiens on the board-how sour is the rest of the country now that the Habs are doing well? There must be some impressive confusion as to why MTL is the only Canadian franchise to have sustained, respectable success.

It will be interesting to see who the CBC announcers favor in this series. I for one, will be listening closely to their unbiased commentary !! (lol)

I will not be listening to cbc. My cbc days are over.

I sit Gally for the first game and see how it plays out. i make my decision for the second game. Gally has to go in, because you will need him before your done. Who needs to come out may be determined by injury or match ups or play. In the Pittsburg series, I think Kreider brought a lot to the mix. He will be tough to play against.

Guest Stogey24

I will not be listening to cbc. My cbc days are over.

Amen. Its actually pretty funny how biased they are.