Carey Price..Hart Trophy?

ICEWATER77

Notwithstanding the OT/SO thing, which (you could argue) is balanced out by playing in an era of parity/salary caps, it is an awesome achievement by Carey Price to become the winningest regular-season goalie in franchise history. We aren't talking about the Vancouver Canucks here; this is the greatest organization in the history of hockey, and to set a record like that, and be ranked among all-time greats in the sport such as Plante, Dryden, and Roy, is historic.

That said, only one prize really matters, and fairly or not, Carey will have to capture it before he can truly go down with them. But there is no doubt in my mind that he is as great a goalie as they were. I don't know that I've ever seen a goalie play at the sustained level of supremacy Price has achieved over the past two years. He is a bona fide superstar at his position.

It's not just the win number. It's the context.

Andrew Raycroft won 37 games with the Toronto Maple Leafs in 2006-07. That's only five less than Price. But he did it with a 2.99 goals against average and a sub .900 save percentage when it wasn't hard to be a .900 save percentage goalie in the league. Wins are a team statistic that goalies get credit for, sort of like pitchers in baseball. Raycroft didn't win those games. The Leafs did.

Carey Price can make a good argument on his wins. No goalie has had 40 wins with a save precentage in the .930s until Price. He was dominant in that crease. Those 42 wins cap off the fact he's the very best goalie in the world. Roy was only the best goalie in the world until Hasek and Brodeur showed up. Dryden had Esposito, Hall, Parent and Tretiak to compete with. Price went from being "one of the best goalies" to "definitely top two" to "the best goalie" and now it's unarguable. Dubnyk and Hammond are hot streaks. Price is pure consistency.

Context is everything.

It very well looks like Price is on his way to becoming the top goalie of his generation. And if he plays till he is 40 he just might take a run at the league all time wins record.

It very well looks like Price is on his way to becoming the top goalie of his generation. And if he plays till he is 40 he just might take a run at the league all time wins record.

Saw it coming by christmas. Hart Trophy winner.

Saw it coming by christmas. Hart Trophy winner.

Not sure why you responded to my quote about being a generational player with a shot at the all time wins record with that response.

That being said, this thread started January 21st, and at the time he wasn't the front runner he is now. He had a Vezina nominated worthy first half of the season and has followed it up with a lights out, MVP second half of the season. So two things have happened for him to be the favorite to win the Hart: 1) He has put together the best stretch of hockey at this level that he has ever played, and 2) No other player in the league has really separated themselves from their peers, which is a rarity. The leading scorer will finish with around 85 points, what?!

He would have to go like 23-4-2, 1.80 GAA, 9.50 SV and 6 shutouts down the stretch to be seriously considered.

I'm not too sure on what his actual numbers are from January 25th on, but I don't think I was too far off. I'm one of the biggest Price believers around and I still can't believe how well he played in the second half of the season.

Ovi is simply only other option, being so far ahead in goals scored.

But Bob Jughead McKenzie's informal GM poll, 20 of 20 picked Price (I think it was).

We will see in June.

I guess your definition of amazing is different from mine. He would have to go like 23-4-2, 1.80 GAA, 9.50 SV and 6 shutouts down the stretch to be seriously considered. You're the only person I have read online anywhere that has him as the front runner for the Hart so far. And considering that a goalie has only won the award 7 times in like 90 years tends to point that it is very rare for them to do so. But hey, if we all agreed on everything there wouldn't be much to discuss eh

no there wouldn't

Nope. Theodore posted a .931 sv% and the nearest goalie was Patrick Roy at .925. If you look even further down the list to goalies who were clear-cut starters, Sean Burke is the next best goalie with a .920 sv%. That's .6/.11 points away from the pack. A monumental difference.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/leagues/NHL_2002_goalies.html

In 1998 Hasek posted a sv% .10 points away from the nearest starter, Tom Barrasso. He also played 72 games out of 82. Incredible.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/leagues/NHL_1998_goalies.html

In 97, Hasek's numbers were pretty close to Brodeurs, but he took them from 12th in the conference ( http://www.hockey-reference.com/leagues/NHL_1996.html ) to second place in the conference. ( http://www.hockey-reference.com/leagues/NHL_1997.html )

The first year he won the Hart, the leading scorer of the Buffalo Sabres was Derek Plante with 53 points. Their leading goal scorer, Donald Audette, scored 28 goals. Their defense corps was Gary Galley, Alexei Zhitnik, Bob Bougher, Mike Wilson, Darryl Shannon and Richard Smehlik.

THAT IS AN MVP!

Let's look at Price:

-Last year the Habs finished 4th in the conference. Right now they are fourth in the conference.

-Right now Price is in-between Rinne and Anderson in sv% for goalies that have over thirty games played. (.931/.929/.927)

When examining exactly WHY these goalies won MVP, the no-brainer candidates for MVP are Rinne and Luongo.

Price isn't even in the conversation.

:rofl:

For the guys who fed it to me when I predicted Price would keep up his stellar play in second half of season, and continuing to be front runner for Hart Trophy. Any other questions?

For the guys who fed it to me when I predicted Price would keep up his stellar play in second half of season, and continuing to be front runner for Hart Trophy. Any other questions?

Why did you start this thread? There's also a question mark at the end of title, so even the guy who started this wasnt' sure, it was a legitimate discussion topic that you used as a backhanded way to complain about Therrien. Thank you for your contributions.

Why did you start this thread? There's also a question mark at the end of title, so even the guy who started this wasnt' sure, it was a legitimate discussion topic that you used as a backhanded way to complain about Therrien. Thank you for your contributions.

Your welcome. :thumbs_up:

1.Price is a very good candidate. Adds 20 points to habs by all star break alone.

2.Giordano absolutely dynamite for Flames, Norris leader as well.

3.Patrick Kane is quietly within reach of winning a scoring race. But he does have quiet the surrounding cast.

4.Rinne on Nashville will get consideration, rightfully so.

5.Weber a beast.

6.Hutchison in Winnipeg, they are raving that without him Jets not in play off contention.

7.Getzlaf a long shot as over all team very strong.

8.Nash only if Rangers end up first in east and he scores 50.

9. Markov cause I love the guy and we would be hurting without him....ditto PK.

10. Giroux and Volchek could saw trophy in half.

Looks like you listed ten potential candidates, with your vote being for Giroux, however I'm not sure who this Volchek is?

Habs 30/31 the Claude Lemieux of Habs world. :)

LOL Thanks hr

Looks like you listed ten potential candidates, with your vote being for Giroux, however I'm not sure who this Volchek is?

and as the thread went on and i predicted price would win.

however keep digging sore loser :thumbs_up:

Did he win yet? I'm confused? I'm overtired today. Apparently, I Rip Van Winkled my way through the playoffs, damnit! How did the Habs do? Is Therrien fired?

"price not even a consideration, the no brainer candidates are luongo and rinne" did they win it yet?

thanks for comin out! :Bulldogs:

Everyone here knows that you were first on that bandwagon and most boisterous about it. Looks like you were probably right (we'll see officially in June), nicely done. No need to brag about that though; replying to posts that disagreed with you 2.5 months ago is just angling to start yet another fight. And that's really the last thing we need or want to deal with.

lol, what's happening there?

Probably Price telling himself something like "Omg, I didn't get anything of what he asked me in English..."