Question: Will the Habs have the money and desire to sign Jeff Petry?

REV-G

Just not a fit if want to upgrade scoring and $$wise, but we will see if Bergevin is a miracle worker?

It all depends, Bergevin just has to be creative. He saved the team $5.15m on the cap with his in season moves of dumping Bourque and Moen. There are a few other bodies he can move to save some more cap space if needed. Then with Petry he is just now entering his prime so if you are thinking about giving him a 5 year deal maybe you give him 6 to knock his AAV down a bit.

I want this done. A strong top 3 is critical. Markov ain't getting any younger but Beaulieu really looks like he can develop to be a #3 or #2 in this league. There is room to improve at forward for sure, but Petry is on the team and everyone knows he's a good fit.

I agree with Habnut, I like Petry and pretty much his entire game for our 2nd pairing, he is a good fit and in his prime with good skills at both ends of the rink.

I agree with Habnut, I like Petry and pretty much his entire game for our 2nd pairing, he is a good fit and in his prime with good skills at both ends of the rink.

He is basically the upgrade of Gorges we've been looking for. He will probably get somewhere between what Anton Stralman got last year at 4.5m and Niskanen at 5.75.

He is basically the upgrade of Gorges we've been looking for. He will probably get somewhere between what Anton Stralman got last year at 4.5m and Niskanen at 5.75.

Exactly what I figure.

Buy out Parenteau and you have the space to sign him, Beaulieu, Galchenyuk, Flynn, Mitchell (13th forward sub-$1M) and replace PAP's spot with a prospect.

Forget about it; Bergevin aint shelling out $30- to - $40.25m to simply bolster an already good defense. Some GM will.

If he wants to add a big salary, maybe trade for a Sharp, Backes or the like, someone who can actually help put more pucks in the net, which is more important than anything else for this team to improve.

Isnt it?

Forget about it; Bergevin aint shelling out $30- to - $40.25m to simply bolster an already good defense. Some GM will.

If he wants to add a big salary, maybe trade for a Sharp, Backes or the like, someone who can actually help put more pucks in the net, which is more important than anything else for this team to improve.

Isnt it?

When you have Gilbert playing your defence has a hole. He needs to go. We are paying Gonchar to do nothing so there is a bunch of the money you need to sign Petry.

Actually Gilbert has kinda grown on me, never will be big fan of a soft ?-decision making d-man; but he has had more + plays than - for awhile and 1 more year wont hurt Habs to have him.

Give up the Petry dream. He is very good, but is the cap world.

Will be;

Subban-Markov

Emelin-Beaulieu

Francois Beauchemin-Pateryn

Tinordi

Crystal ball says...Petry will become a Red Wing! :ph34r:

Guest Stogey24

I think if the Habs resign Petry, one of the conditions should be that he cuts his Bruce Jenner hair.

Maybe he has the same feelings inside as Brucey :0

Petry is great, but with his career high of 25 points, how does that solve any scoring issues? He sucks on the PP as well.

This would be the exact move Bergevin is famous for: doubling down in areas of strength. I want MB to be brave this offseason. Take some risks.

Guest Stogey24

Petry is great, but with his career high of 25 points, how does that solve any scoring issues? He sucks on the PP as well.

This would be the exact move Bergevin is famous for: doubling down in areas of strength. I want MB to be brave this offseason. Take some risks.

Who\where is this so called strength in the four spot on this D core? I think if you have to solidify the top four and now is the chance

Actually Gilbert has kinda grown on me, never will be big fan of a soft ?-decision making d-man; but he has had more + plays than - for awhile and 1 more year wont hurt Habs to have him.

Give up the Petry dream. He is very good, but is the cap world.

If you think Gilbert, alias the give away factory, is ok, then you just don't care who plays defence. I want a guy who won't give the puck to the opposition right in front of Carey. Carey has enough on his plate being the savior.

Who\where is this so called strength in the four spot on this D core? I think if you have to solidify the top four and now is the chance

Well, the gamble in letting Petry walk may be that Beaulieu can step up into a clear top-4 role.

My own belief, though, is that you build from the net out. Even if Nate the Great does step up, Markov is done as a top-pairing defenceman. So I'd have no problem at all with Zoot 'doubling down' on the blueline. I see Petry as Roman Hamrlik Redux - not a huge point-getter, but an all-around stabilizer on the back end. The type of guy who is quietly extremely valuable. Subban-Petry-Beaulieu = a bloody nice trio of defencemen who can move the puck. Throw in Markov in a diminished role and we've got four who can do that.

I also hate the thought of throwing away a 2nd and 4th round pick and getting nothing for it except 6 games against Tampa Bay.

Well, the gamble in letting Petry walk may be that Beaulieu can step up into a clear top-4 role.

I've said before, if Tinordi or Beaulieu were right handed, they would have had spots in the roster made for them. Instead we signed Gilbert and traded for Petry.

When the year started, Therrien tried to put Markov on the second pairing and Emelin on the first pairing. It didn't work, Markov had to be played a ton and he clearly burned out. This year I'm feeling they try again, and this time with Beaulieu:

Beaulieu - Subban

Markov - Petry

Emelin - Gilbert

Pateryn, Tinordi

In other words, Petry has nothing to do with it. He's a RD. Beaulieu is a LD. His competition is Markov and Emelin.

I've said before, if Tinordi or Beaulieu were right handed, they would have had spots in the roster made for them. Instead we signed Gilbert and traded for Petry.

When the year started, Therrien tried to put Markov on the second pairing and Emelin on the first pairing. It didn't work, Markov had to be played a ton and he clearly burned out. This year I'm feeling they try again, and this time with Beaulieu:

Beaulieu - Subban

Markov - Petry

Emelin - Gilbert

Pateryn, Tinordi

In other words, Petry has nothing to do with it. He's a RD. Beaulieu is a LD. His competition is Markov and Emelin.

Good analysis, thanks. I all too often forget, for some reason, that R/L is even more important on D than it is up front. And looking at the pathetic state of our D on the right side only strengthens the case for signing Petry.

Dietz. Thrower, Lernout, Bennett and Nygren are all right side d, and realistically we can say 2 of the 5 make the jump down the road. Let the 3 young guys that will be up already get a year in. Then we can let Gilbert go and move in the first out of the next crop. That would make sense long term to me. Out of the gate I expect this. I expect it to look different after next deadline though.

Markov Subban

Beaulieu Gilbert

Emelin Tinordi

Pateryn

That is going to be a hard hitting 3rd pairing.

Save the money we are going to need it. Funny, Hamilton's going to have the opposite problem 4 R hand D. Ellis just got buried pretty deep in Wheeling and I understand why Nygren went home.

Is July 1st the earliest a UFA can sign? What if he were to re-sign with us, does he still have to wait until july?

If Petry were to re-sign, it can happen at any time, they don't have to wait until July.

My own belief, though, is that you build from the net out. Even if Nate the Great does step up, Markov is done as a top-pairing defenceman. So I'd have no problem at all with Zoot 'doubling down' on the blueline. I see Petry as Roman Hamrlik Redux - not a huge point-getter, but an all-around stabilizer on the back end. The type of guy who is quietly extremely valuable. Subban-Petry-Beaulieu = a bloody nice trio of defencemen who can move the puck. Throw in Markov in a diminished role and we've got four who can do that.

I also hate the thought of throwing away a 2nd and 4th round pick and getting nothing for it except 6 games against Tampa Bay.

This analysis echoes my sentiments exactlyl...bang-on.

I think if the Habs resign Petry, one of the conditions should be that he cuts his Bruce Jenner hair.

Don't you mean Belinda Jenner!?!? ;)

Dietz. Thrower, Lernout, Bennett and Nygren are all right side d, and realistically we can say 2 of the 5 make the jump down the road. Let the 3 young guys that will be up already get a year in. Then we can let Gilbert go and move in the first out of the next crop. That would make sense long term to me. Out of the gate I expect this. I expect it to look different after next deadline though.

Markov Subban

Beaulieu Gilbert

Emelin Tinordi

Pateryn

That is going to be a hard hitting 3rd pairing.

Save the money we are going to need it. Funny, Hamilton's going to have the opposite problem 4 R hand D. Ellis just got buried pretty deep in Wheeling and I understand why Nygren went home.

You can cross off Nygren ever becoming a Hab pretty much.

That said, you have the right idea on what the Habs are trying to do in the prospect pool.

2015-2016 has four D signed with Subban, Markov, Emelin and Gilbert. Five if you include Pateryn. Tinordi and Beaulieu are RFAs.

2016-2017 has three D signed with Subban, Markov and Emelin. Tinordi and Bealieu will have new deals and Pateryn will be up as an RFA.

2017-2018 has only two D signed with Subban and Emelin, barring the new deals on the others.

2018-2019 has only Subban signed depending on other deals.

Going into next season we have 7D if we don't re-sign Petry and go with the youngsters but one D will be in the AHL if we sign him. Two years later it's about an RD spot on the third pairing open and that probably means a guy like Pateryn locking down a spot. 2017-2018 is when it's about if Beaulieu has developed into replacing a probably retiring Andrei Markov on a long term deal. By that point we're looking at some upgrades from within or signing a free agent.