Petry 6 year deal!

DON

Calm down. Time to take Hockey Defence 101:

Jarred Tinordi plays on the left side of the rink and is left handed.

Jeff Petry plays on the right side of the rink with a right handed shot.

We had absolutely nobody in our system who could come up in the next two years to play Top 4 D on the right side. That's why people on certain blogs were artificially hyping up Nygren so much. He was about it when it came to right handed defensive prospects. Guys like Dietz, Thrower, Ellis, Lernout, none of those guys are going to become top four D-men in the next three years. Maybe none of them even become third pairing defencemen.

Nathan Beaulieu and Jarred Tinordi are our best D prospects right now and they are both left handed shots and left pair defencemen. Petry does absolutely nothing to cost them jobs in the NHL.

Exactly. What he should of said..

OMG I can't believe this is the end of Emelin!

He hasn't been the same since he bounced off Lucic.

Changed my Avatar yesterday.. any requests?! lmao

Let me put it this way-I hate this deal so much and what it means for Tinordi, their scoring problems and their style of play that I'm considering forgoing Center Ice to start following the Panthers full time.

I guess the "blue chip" D prospects were chocolate chips or busts or something.

Come watch the Habs eek out regular season games 2-1. JOKE

You do realize Tinordi and Beaulieu are both left handed and play the left side right? This signing has nothing to do with keeping them out of the lineup.

I like the deal but am a bit worried since I've only seen him the short time with the Habs. Hoping it's not a guy playing over his head during his UFA year

I am very happy with this deal. I think the contract is fair (expected more via open market), he's still young only 27 so we still haven't seen the best of him, and a key is he showed he can be a good player in Montreal. Lets not forget this is 6 years of prime years we're buying Petry on and not 2 prime years and 4 decline years.

While some people think this deal might hurt the young D I actually think it's going to help them. Now that Therrien has guys he trusts to play 20+ minutes you can allow these young D to develop at their pace on the bottom pairing since he won't need them logging 18-20 minutes. I have a feeling Gilbert will be dealt for a pick at draft and we'll see Subban, Petry, and Pateryn in our opening D on the right side.

Still plenty of work to do but I think this is a good starting point.

Does anyone here think this deal improves the team, because Petry in his own words said "this is the best hockey I've played in my career" and they got smoked like a cheap blunt in the second round?

Truthfully, Anderson in the first two games means a first round exit. The team can't score, and they're pitiful on the PP. So they spend half of their cap space on a guy with a career high of seven goals.

This is emblematic of the Bergevin regime, doubling down in areas of strength while neglecting obvious holes.

Still plenty of work to do but I think this is a good starting point.

This club has had two major holes it has tried to fill forever. The first is having two top six right wingers. The second is having two right handed top four defenceman.

We've continued trying guys like Michael Ryder and Tomas Vanek on rentals, P.A. Parenteau and Danny Briere on junk contracts and Jiri Sekac and Devante Smith-Pelly as young kids not ready for the role. It's a hole not yet filled but there's a P.A. Parenteau still sitting around and taking up space.

On the right side we drafted Subban to cover one of the top four RHD spots but we've also traded for Wisniewski, acted like Diaz was better than he was, signed Tom Gilbert as a stopgap hoping he'd end up more and traded Travis Moen for Sergei Gonchar just to find someone to kickstart in that position. Now we got Jeff Petry, who fills the position perfectly, who played great and is now signed for six years. The hole is filled before the next issue is the left side (when Markov departs).

Just to finally clog that hole with something good is a nice feeling. We've solved a half decade old problem on the Habs. Praise be to Jesus Price.

Edit: Let this be clear to everyone that the habs have been scouted as being weak on the right side for years and teams have taken advantage of that all times P.K. Subban is not on the ice.

On the right side we drafted Subban to cover one of the top four RHD spots but we've also traded for Wisniewski, acted like Diaz was better than he was, signed Tom Gilbert as a stopgap hoping he'd end up more and traded Travis Moen for Sergei Gonchar just to find someone to kickstart in that position. Now we got Jeff Petry, who fills the position perfectly, who played great and is now signed for six years. The hole is filled before the next issue is the left side (when Markov departs).

I'll have you know that I have it on very good authority that Diaz is a top 4 defenseman (and Wiese is a plug).

Worth every penny imo. Was he or was he not our best D in the playoffs? And quite frankly, once he got adjusted to the trade/teammates/system/city he was brilliant. Kudos MB!

Yes he was our best and most consistent D in the play offs. Without a doubt.

Not a bad signing. I guess that we will let go of one defenseman on the left side. Maybe Emelin, although I think that it would be time to trade Markov. Emelin is still useful, because he is the only one who regularly throws his weight on the board. Markov has slowed quite a bit and is not getting younger. We also have to make room to Beaulieu and Tinordi...

It's a good move, Petry was excellent for the habs.

the top 4 is solid now. With beaulieu and Petry as the bottom pair. Injuries will happen and Tinordi and Pateryn will get ice time this year.

I do believe MB will move a soft forward and try and dign or via trade get a legit top 6 RW.

Not a bad signing. I guess that we will let go of one defenseman on the left side. Maybe Emelin, although I think that it would be time to trade Markov. Emelin is still useful, because he is the only one who regularly throws his weight on the board. Markov has slowed quite a bit and is not getting younger. We also have to make room to Beaulieu and Tinordi...

If Bergevin thinks Emelin is still a core piece moving forward, he won't move him and I can't see Markov going. Gilbert is probably someone that could be moved without taking salary back. I'm not sure that's the case with Emelin so in the end, there probably isn't a big difference in terms of net cap savings for 2015-16.

That would allow Beaulieu, Pateryn, and Tinordi (probably in that order) to round out the roster and give the coaches/management one more year to see if both Beaulieu/Tinordi are likely to reach their potential. If so, then they'd be more comfortable moving Emelin the following offseason. If one isn't, then they'll be thankful they kept Emelin around.

I'm not saying this is the likely scenario necessarily but it doesn't have to be a left shot D going.

Ok this is move 1, we have secured the right side defence, Subban doesn't have to play 35 minutes a night. That is good. Emelin Gilbert and possibly Markov( I doubt it but.....) are targets to go. Next lets get some offence for the front end. Pap can go too. We need a centre to cover till Mcarron gets here ( he is our big and I do mean big centre coming up) after this year.

Very good signing, I knew MB would come through. And anybody who wants to go watch Luongo and that group of miscreants is welcome to do so.

• Upvote 1

A small note on top of the breakdown in my write-up, $8 M of the $33 M will be paid as signing bonuses. These amounts get paid each July 1st.

15-16: $3 M

16-17: $1 M

17-18: $1 M

18-19: $1 M

19-20: $1 M

20-21: $1 M

It's a win for the habs. When you look at how week the Ufa on d was last year and how much they were getting and teams over paying. Petry would of got alot more and we would of over paid on a Ufa to replace him. Great move by mb.

Good signing. The guy's a quality all-around D-man. Considering the tax factor, he actually did sign at a discount; and great to hear that the summer's top UFA wanted to stay here rather than test his options. I don't get the negativity from some.

I was as wrong as dlbalr was correct and thought Petry wouldn't ever be signed by Habs, especially before testing free agency.

In Petry's interview, he had so many positive glowing things to say about Habs; mgmt, coaching, style of play, dressing room, top quality roster players, facilities etc etc.

With every comment he was as much endorsing Habs, as giving back-handed compliments to Oilers organization.

And was quite surprised to hear that Price and Subban reaching out to him was a big factor in his decision.

• Upvote 1

Someone mentioned he got Hamrlik $$, but at least Petry is only 27, drafted a year after Price and only has played 300 NHL games.

Guest Stogey24

So what's that like 25 million sunk into Subban, Emelin,Markov, Petry. Quite a bit of money, but guess had to be done.

Emelin will be odd man out and traded. And maybe Gilbert bought out. Don't see them trading Markov.

There's no way Gilbert gets bought out. He'd have a bit of value around the league as he is a serviceable third pairing player that's not on a crazy contract.

I also should remind everyone that Emelin has a full NTC. Keep that in mind when dreaming about sending him to bottom feeder teams.