2015-16 NHL Season Thread

dlbalr

That's only 3 less wins than Montreal with some overtime losses in there too....

Another day off for the team again yesterday. With all the defensive mistakes that were made, you'd think the team would be on the ice, but no they'll go golfing instead

3 wins in 6 weeks is pretty significant in the NHL.

Minnesota was also about to fire Yeo last year when they made the Dubnyk trade and went on a huge run of winning.

Montreal could just as easily only won 4 games with the two shootout wins going the other way.

Could have, would have, should haves can work both ways.... They could have won other games that they lost with a little more scoring, or with the goalies coming up with another save.

Well kinda sucks that Arizona, Canucks, Minni, Calgary and Sens all lose; again, if pulling for the tank.

Some of the teams they lost to, like Toronto, Philly and others help though.

Guest Stogey24

You don't want to lose Michel Therrien. Coaches like him are only available every offseason...inseason...during lockouts. Anytime ,really.

"The goalie who wins is the one who plays. We want to avoid playing musical chairs." - Michel Therrien. Modern day Genius

You think Guy Bouche, Marc Crawford or option C superior coach would be winning more with this team?

I'm not sure if they'd actually win much more, but they'd sure as hell play Desharnais a lot less...and that'd be a step in the right direction.

The case for firing Therrien isn't really that the team isn't buying in, or that he is a worse than average coach - it's the need to turn the page on this monstrous season and get a 'fresh voice' in the room. Basically, change for the sake of change, which makes sense when the status quo is atrocious.

I agree that his use of DD is remarkable considering the utterly pathetic quality of Desharnais's performances over a long, long span of time. I suppose it comes down to Chucky being better on the wing. Once Galy is out of the picture, it's DD as your 2nd C or bust, basically.

The case for firing Therrien isn't really that the team isn't buying in, or that he is a worse than average coach - it's the need to turn the page on this monstrous season and get a 'fresh voice' in the room. Basically, change for the sake of change, which makes sense when the status quo is atrocious.

I agree that his use of DD is remarkable considering the utterly pathetic quality of Desharnais's performances over a long, long span of time. I suppose it comes down to Chucky being better on the wing. Once Galy is out of the picture, it's DD as your 2nd C or bust, basically.

Exactly. This is his fourth season, and he's not the quality of coach like Sutter, Julien or Quenville that get rolled out year after year. He should have been fired a month ago, I don't care whom their goalie is.

We are in the same boat as when we discussed this before, the options to replace Therrien are much greater in May/June than they are today.

Indeed. When I say we should fire Therrien (not because he's a bad coach, but because the team desperately needs a big change), I don't mean we should do it now. The season is lost. Ride it out and replace him when your options are at maximum.

I'll be shocked if he isn't gone after the season.

I'm in the minority but I wouldn't be shocked if he was still around. Bergevin seems to be more loyal to his people than other GM's as evidenced by the fact that Sylvain Lefebvre somehow still has a job despite years of ineptitude or by the fact that no moves have been made with the assistants when many expected change last year. Deep down, I honestly think Bergevin believes Therrien is still (in his mind at least) the right fit for this team.

It's not an either or decision. They need to do both.

I think is much more important to success of team to add skilled players up front, than to fire coach.

It's not an either or decision. They need to do both.

I agree, but I *am* a little bit worried that MT will stick around. Most people who are not confirmed Therrien-haters seem to agree that the team has actually outplayed its opponents on many nights despite losing game after game, and that MT still has the room. I could just see Bergevin saying 'the problem is not coaching, so why would I fire the coach?'

Hopefully, though, he ends up showing the same ruthless attitude to coaches that he's shown to overpaid veterans, even ones that seem to be blood-and-guts guys (Gorges). The team needs a complete page-turn on this historically disappointing season, and keeping Therrien would be a big, big mistake IMHO.

My issue with Therien is his lack of ability to develop young players. If Galchenyuk doesn't become the #1 center he has all the tools and potential to be, it's on Therien. Therien is the only coach Galchenyuk has had since junior and therefor he is responsible for developing him. Therien doesn't seem to like to use his youngsters in important situations (where they can learn) and punishes mistakes (that are bound to happen with youngsters) by benching them or scratching them. Young players are more important than ever in a salary cap system and need to learn to play key roles wether the coach likes it or not. If the Habs fire Therien, I hope they are able to find a coach that can do a better job bringing along young players (and still win of course).

Coaching change not a big deal and overblown need.

And we all know whoever is next coach will sooner or later come to be hated by many of HabFans.

Sorry John B, disagree; Galchenyuk is a fine winger...period.

Treatment of rookies and their demotion/promotion is decided by Bergevin-Dudley-LaCarriere not Therrien.

Been hearing same argument forever, but if a kid makes the NHL or not is 99% on the player.

Bingo!! But than why does le genius need to develop galchenyuk when he has a stud like DD who is such an elite centre.

My issue with Therien is his lack of ability to develop young players. If Galchenyuk doesn't become the #1 center he has all the tools and potential to be, it's on Therien. Therien is the only coach Galchenyuk has had since junior and therefor he is responsible for developing him. Therien doesn't seem to like to use his youngsters in important situations (where they can learn) and punishes mistakes (that are bound to happen with youngsters) by benching them or scratching them. Young players are more important than ever in a salary cap system and need to learn to play key roles wether the coach likes it or not. If the Habs fire Therien, I hope they are able to find a coach that can do a better job bringing along young players (and still win of course).

I agree that demotions/promotions are on Bergevin not Therien, but how rosters players are used (including deployment) is on Therien. Therien doesn't seem to show any confidence in his young players, which intern adversely affects their confidence and performance.

It's not so much that Galchenyuk isn't good as a winger, it's that he was drafted to be the future #1 center and hasn't been given the opportunities to develop as such. It seems like every time the going gets rough, Galchenyuk's ice time as a center is cut back in favor of a veteran or he is moved to the wing. This year saw the longest stretch of games in his career as a center. How is not knowing what his long term position at the NHL level is going to be helping his development. A decision has to made on Galchenyuk's position so he can be properly developed, otherwise we are looking at a kid that will never hit his ceiling.

I agree that demotions/promotions are on Bergevin not Therien, but how rosters players are used (including deployment) is on Therien. Therien doesn't seem to show any confidence in his young players, which intern adversely affects their confidence and performance.

It's not so much that Galchenyuk isn't good as a winger, it's that he was drafted to be the future #1 center and hasn't been given the opportunities to develop as such. It seems like every time the going gets rough, Galchenyuk's ice time as a center is cut back in favor of a veteran or he is moved to the wing. This year saw the longest stretch of games in his career as a center. How is not knowing what his long term position at the NHL level is going to be helping his development. A decision has to made on Galchenyuk's position so he can be properly developed, otherwise we are looking at a kid that will never hit his ceiling.

You could be right. However, there's some axiomatic reasoning going on here - by which I mean you're ASSUMING that Galchenyuk just is destined to be a #1 C in the NHL and that Therrien is therefore mishandling him. But that assumption is not self-evidently correct. It may in fact be true that Galy does not have the tools to become a #1 C, period. The player I see, for example, is an individualistic player who tends not to use his teammates and plays a kind of 'torpedo' game based on dekes and shooting. That sounds like a winger, rather than a centreman, to me. Perhaps Therrien has reached this conclusion as well, or else tried to get Galchenyuk to develop those aspects of his game where he uses his teammates rather than makes the individual play all the time, and has concluded that it won't happen with the necessary consistency.

On the wider question, most coaches bring along young kids gradually if they have the option. I don't think Therrien is particularly unusual in this respect.

Yeah, he has no confidence in young players, like when he took the 20 year old Brendan Gallagher and gave him a prominent role in the team.

Or the fact he kept Galchenyuk in a top 9 role as an 18 year old.

Don't forget a 23/24 year old Subban winning the Norris.