2016 NHL Playoffs Thread

dlbalr

I don't mind the new unis. I didn't hate the old ones, though, which is odd, because usually expansion team uniforms are crap. The Avs are putrid, Nashville is only good as a device for blinding retinas, Tampa's are butt ugly, Carolina and Arizona are just boring - THEY should have been the ones to change.

I don't mind the new unis. I didn't hate the old ones, though, which is odd, because usually expansion team uniforms are crap. The Avs are putrid, Nashville is only good as a device for blinding retinas, Tampa's are butt ugly, Carolina and Arizona are just boring - THEY should have been the ones to change.

I used to like the expansion Phoenix jerseys a la Roenick era. They were very busy but my young mind thought they were something different. I don't mind the new Panthers jerseys either and I'm usually a traditionalist.

Risto Pakarinen @puckarinen

Trying to understand why Crosby not getting back at Joe is "keeping composure" but the Sedins not reacting to Bruins taunting made them weak.

That's a good tweet.

Risto Pakarinen @puckarinen

Trying to understand why Crosby not getting back at Joe is "keeping composure" but the Sedins not reacting to Bruins taunting made them weak.

That's a good tweet.

Love it. The backlash against Sedin for taking Marchand's punches was egregious - more of the tiresome semi-subliminal nativism that still runs through too much NHL discourse.

Would guess it to be some "Black Knight" theme if named that, so likely will be militaristic and assume somewhat like the London Knights logo.

Pens play mettalica seek and destroy as their entry song. Last night San Jose has Ulrich and trajillo open the door to let them out. They play seek and destroy as an entry song and then hetfield and hammet play the star spangled banner on guitar. Mic drop...

Penguins beat them. Nother mic drop.

I haven't watched any of the finals.

I've watched most of every game, amazed at how well the D playing for the Pens, Sullivan has a great strategy for team defense, and the players are working as hard as any team I've ever seen. Pens, to me, are the biggest surprise of this season...

Curry's team is beating LeBron's.

And, Lebron is wearing it well, arrogant dick...

Agree 100%. To me they look like an Olympic Jersey. Don't like them at all.

They actually look like Canada's Jerseys when they won gold in Sochi

Would guess it to be some "Black Knight" theme if named that, so likely will be militaristic and assume somewhat like the London Knights logo.

I fully expect the Vegas jerseys to be awesome in all honesty. They'll want to do their first pro team well.

I'm disappointed that San Jose has failed to make a series of it. Oh well.

The Penguins have zeroed in on Burns. The guy is playing hard but the Penguins defence is shutting him down. Thornton and Marleau's age is showing. Couture has been useless aside from whining about Crosby. Pavelski looks exhausted.

That three line attack is so dangerous. It's going to change how people build their NHL teams. Get a puck possession beast on every line.

The Penguins have zeroed in on Burns. The guy is playing hard but the Penguins defence is shutting him down. Thornton and Marleau's age is showing. Couture has been useless aside from whining about Crosby. Pavelski looks exhausted.

That three line attack is so dangerous. It's going to change how people build their NHL teams. Get a puck possession beast on every line.

The Pens really seem to be underlining the value of coaching, specifically coaching that tailors its vision to the players' strengths. They completely turned around when they changed coaches - although canny and aggressive GMing also helped.

As for 'three line attack,' that was sort of the idea that I hoped the Habs would realize - wave after wave of skillful puck-possession hockey. And we've done that at times. But there is no question that a team with Crosby, Malkin, and Kessel each on a different line is going to play that game better than a team whose lines are anchored by Pacioretty, Plekanec, and Eller. Sigh.

The other thing is that the Pens' 'attack, attack, attack' system would be very hard for our D to handle. Markov, Emelin, and Pateryn would all break down very quickly under that kind of assault, even with Price back there puck-handling. I really hope Therrien is taking notes, both to see what lessons can be applied to our team and to see how to counter Pittsburgh's approach.

Question: does anyone here now regret that we didn't get 'Conne Smythe' Kessel? Or is it safe to say the cost would have been crippling? Unlike the wise heads, I always liked Kessel and always suspected the various charges levelled against him were basically bullcrap. The guy is fast as a bullet, shoots like a cannon, and all he does is generate offence. Only in today's idiotic NHL culture would the fact that he doesn't work out terribly religiously make him a 'problem.'

What's funny is they stumbled into it. The original goal was Kessel with Crosby or Malkin. Then they put Kessel with Hagelin and Bonino when Malkin was hurt and the line was money. It was there that Johnson realized he now had three even strength lines that would have to be covered defensively. It's a huge reason they are in the finals and why Kessel will win the Conn Smythe.

It's definitely true that Therrien tried to do a three line attack as well but Flash - DD - Weise doesn't have a puck possession guy and Eller - Chuck - Semin only had one top line player. It was spreading thin. Right now a three line attack looks like

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Gallagher

Eller - Plekanec - Andrighetto

Carr - Desharnais - McCarron

Yuck. We definitely need a right winger from free agency.