2016-17 NHL Season Thread

dlbalr

14 hours ago, BlueKross said:

The KHL is in dire straits according to the main board. Got to be a lot of people looking for a pay check next year. I think we can do a lot better with 10M. The ball is clearly in MB's court.

$9.8m is two firsts, a second, and a third. Second rounders get wasted on guys like Andrew Shaw. Third rounder would get traded for a grinder anyway. Basically Leon for two firsts. Worth it.

$10m is four first rounders. That's a maybe. I think Leon is good enough but this team has to be 100% ready to compete for a Cup if that was the case, because if you don't compete for a Cup you are running with no future. 

34 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

$9.8m is two firsts, a second, and a third. Second rounders get wasted on guys like Andrew Shaw. Third rounder would get traded for a grinder anyway. Basically Leon for two firsts. Worth it.

$10m is four first rounders. That's a maybe. I think Leon is good enough but this team has to be 100% ready to compete for a Cup if that was the case, because if you don't compete for a Cup you are running with no future. 

10m isn't worth it in my opinion either. The next 4 years of firsts means there's nothing added to our already non-existent forward prospects. We have Scherbak and Hudon. That's about it. Next to no talent in the pipeline to support a guy like Leon when he's 26-onwards. Two firsts including this years 25th? Absolutely.

Theres no question I would offer sheet 9-9.8 mill to get him

1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Remember the 5 year rule that brian keeps posting

If its 9.8 per year, and you do a deal longer than 5 years, it becomes 10 for compensation purposes real quick. 

And Hell will freeze over before Bergy offers enough that Oilers wont match for their big 21 year old centre, who just had 16pts in 13playoff games. This isn't a Dustin Penner you are talking about.

13 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Remember the 5 year rule that brian keeps posting

If its 9.8 per year, and you do a deal longer than 5 years, it becomes 10 for compensation purposes real quick. 

Of course. $9.8 for five years. Pretty much the length of Price and Weber's usefulness.

3 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Given MB's track record in drafting and especially development, we might as well piss away picks (which MB will squander anyhow) for a sure thing who solves the organization's biggest problem in one fell swoop. Frankly, it's the cap hit I'd worry about, not the lost picks.

2 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Given MB's track record in drafting and especially development, we might as well piss away picks (which MB will squander anyhow) for a sure thing who solves the organization's biggest problem in one fell swoop. Frankly, it's the cap hit I'd worry about, not the lost picks.

Even if we suddenly draft and develop players right, I think if we added draisaitl, we'd be among the top 10, probably even top 5 teams in the league.  I doubt we'd find anyone near as good as draisaitl that low in the first round. We have 3 or 4 years before there will probably be a huge drop off in Weber.  I think we need a major addition now, otherwise we may as well as trade away price and Weber, because we'll always be just good enough to make the playoffs and possibly win a round.

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Imagine getting a point per game 21 year old for what the Habs currently pay for Plekanec/Emelin.

Nashville's no match for Pittsburgh. Anaheim would have been a better final.

4-1 Pittsburgh in the 3rd

1 hour ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Nashville's no match for Pittsburgh. Anaheim would have been a better final.

4-1 Pittsburgh in the 3rd

I hope this is sarcasm because Nashville has outplayed Pitt in both games. You can't win with a leaky goalie. 

Nashville still wins the cup, just a couple games longer than I expected. 

20 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Yeah, Rinne has been terrible... Nashville is outplaying Pitt but Murray is playing much better between the two.  The score was not reflective of the game. 

Despite rinne's play, it could be a different series if the subban goal wasn't disallowed in game 1.

1 hour ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

I hope this is sarcasm because Nashville has outplayed Pitt in both games. You can't win with a leaky goalie. 

Nashville still wins the cup, just a couple games longer than I expected. 

Not sarcasm at all. Their offense isn't good enough. Especially with Johanssen out. And they don't have players who have crossed the finish line before like Pittsburgh and Anaheim.

27 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Not sarcasm at all. Their offense isn't good enough. Especially with Johanssen out. And they don't have players who have crossed the finish line before like Pittsburgh and Anaheim.

Even without Johanssen they've outplayed the penguins.  The difference has been goaltending plain  and simple.

6 hours ago, Commandant said:

Switch the goalies and the series is 2-0 Nashville. 

Switch the forwards and the series is 2-0 Nashville

Switch the defense and the series is still 2-0 Pittsburgh

Keep the teams the same and it's still 2-0 Pittsburgh 

Pekka Rinne had been their best player coming into the Cup finals, they may not have made it there without him playing that well. 

13 minutes ago, illWill said:

Pekka Rinne had been their best player coming into the Cup finals, they may not have made it there without him playing that well. 

None of that matters if he craps out when it most counts. He is tarring his own legacy right here.

35 minutes ago, illWill said:

I'm not convinced on switch the forwards.... not if Nashville's goalie is still letting in shit goals, and letting in 4 goals on 11 shots.... or 3 goals in less than 5 minutes and putting up save percentages in the 700s.   Pittsburgh didn't get a shot on goal for 37 minutes for crying out loud in game 1 and the first shot goes in.  In game 2 Nashville dominates for 40 minutes again, and he gives up a shitty goal to tie it in the first, and then in the third he gives up a brutal rebound and its 2-1 ten seconds in. 

If the goaltending is even close to even in this matchup its a different series.   

But it doesn't matter how good your team is playing if the goalie cant make saves. 

4 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

To be fair Rinne has been carrying Nashville through pretty much every series they've played. He was a favourite for the Conn Smythe.

Sure, and the last two games he's shit the bed. 

1 minute ago, Commandant said:

Sure, and the last two games he's shit the bed. 

Well he looks tired he might have broke because of the load he has been carrying. He faced a tremendous amount of shots against Chicago and Anaheim and St. Louis series was no joke either.

Kinda like MAF did for Pitts but now Murray is in fresh as ever.

3 minutes ago, Commandant said:

And if you score three times and go almost two full periods without giving up a shot on net in game 1?

Well that is really hard on a goalie to try and stay sharp without facing a shot for that long a period. 

• dlbalr unpinned this topic