Carey Price appreciation thread

illWill

13 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Lovett's post is hilarious :lol:

It's a great point on rebound control...I swear sometimes Price manages to direct the rebound in such a way as to actually start the transition game. In fact I'm pretty sure this happens more with him than any other goalie.

It's funny to think...fans were mad at Gainey when he drafted him ('how could he not pick surefire star Gilbert Brulé????'). Then they were mad at Goat for not trading him instead of Halak. The fans actually booed Price at one point. It's a nice example of the old saw that if you listen to the fans, pretty soon you'll be sitting up there with 'em.

More often than not Fans don't know what they're talking about! That's why people like Gainey and Bergevin get the big bucks to be the G.M. and to make the right decisions. 

I don't think there should be any doubt that the habs made the right choice in 2005(when they drafted him) and in 2010(when they traded Halak). Carey Price is the MVP in this league. End of discussion!

On 10/31/2016 at 10:46 AM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I watched Patrick Roy for years, and nobody can touch Roy as a playoff goalie (except in game sevens, bafflingly) or a Presence whose mere existence in net could psych out the opposition. He was awesome. Marty Brodeur was damned impressive too, not unlike Price in his calm command of things and the way he convinced you that you were only going to score on him if it was a perfect play. However, I can honestly say that one a game-in, game-out basis, Carey Price is the best goalie I have ever seen. His control is just superb - whether we're talking rebound control, or lateral movement, or economy of movement, or, importantly, puck-moving.

He just needs one great playoff run, one Cup, to cement his achievement and go down as one of the all-time greatest at the position. That's how good he is.

Once again, I completely agree. King Patrick was my childhood hero! Still is my favorite player all time. ( i got to play golf with him this summer! I was like a kid again!)  But the more I think about it, I think Carey is more talented. Probably the best ever...

1 hour ago, Habsfan said:

Once again, I completely agree. King Patrick was my childhood hero! Still is my favorite player all time. ( i got to play golf with him this summer! I was like a kid again!)  But the more I think about it, I think Carey is more talented. Probably the best ever...

I will wait till he gets his 1st Conn Smyth before going that far. Brodeur, Hasek, Roy (and likely some old timers as well?) likely would beg to differ and so would their fans no doubt.

Can Carey carry this team to a cup?

1 hour ago, DON said:

I will wait till he gets his 1st Conn Smyth before going that far. Brodeur, Hasek, Roy (and likely some old timers as well?) likely would beg to differ and so would their fans no doubt.

Can Carey carry this team to a cup?

When Hasek was playing his best hockey he didnt win a cup. The cup came after going to the red wings and by then he was not as good anymore. I really hope that a teamchange is not needed for Price to win.

2 hours ago, Habsfan said:

Golfing with St Patrick? I would have been so nervous I would have  crapped myself and not broken 200. I usually am 90 to 95. You a lucky dog. Hmmm need an emoticon for that. Damn can't find one maybe make one?

1 hour ago, Dalhabs said:

When Hasek was playing his best hockey he didnt win a cup. The cup came after going to the red wings and by then he was not as good anymore. I really hope that a teamchange is not needed for Price to win.

Hasek was simply out of this world good for several years with Sabres and might of had a cup with them if "Hull's toe in crease goal" was called back.

He was the simply most dominant goalie ever for that period, don't you think? (again cant speak for old timers who never saw play)

I think it is quite possible that Carey Price is the most technically sound, best 'game in game out' goalie ever. Of course, I can't speak with confidence to that. But it wouldn't surprise me to hear someone making that case. He seems that way to me. He's like the Tiger Woods of netminding (when Tiger was in his prime) in seeming to incarnate a higher order of supremacy at what he does.

DON is correct, though, that Price is going to have to make his mark in the playoffs if he wants to go down with the all-time absolute greats at the position. After all, he may be more technically sound and consistent than Roy (game in, game out, again), but a guy who repeatedly takes his team on his back and wins multiple Conn Smythes/Cups is ultimately going to trump they goalie who might have been better than him overall but never reached the promised land. So it's not just doing it, it's also when you do it. Price has never gone deeper than the semi-finals. As magnificent as he is, as dominant as he is, that's not going to cut it in terms of the annals of history. Maybe that's not fair, but that's the price of admission into the small list of the absolute all-time greatest careers at the position.

34 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I think it is quite possible that Carey Price is the most technically sound, best 'game in game out' goalie ever. Of course, I can't speak with confidence to that. But it wouldn't surprise me to hear someone making that case. He seems that way to me. He's like the Tiger Woods of netminding (when Tiger was in his prime) in seeming to incarnate a higher order of supremacy at what he does.

DON is correct, though, that Price is going to have to make his mark in the playoffs if he wants to go down with the all-time absolute greats at the position. After all, he may be more technically sound and consistent than Roy (game in, game out, again), but a guy who repeatedly takes his team on his back and wins multiple Conn Smythes/Cups is ultimately going to trump they goalie who might have been better than him overall but never reached the promised land. So it's not just doing it, it's also when you do it. Price has never gone deeper than the semi-finals. As magnificent as he is, as dominant as he is, that's not going to cut it in terms of the annals of history. Maybe that's not fair, but that's the price of admission into the small list of the absolute all-time greatest careers at the position.

I completely agree but the only thing that truly isn't fair when looking at it that way is that he got injured during his deepest run and didn't even play in the final loss of the season. If he were to retire today, I do think that would be something that should actually be taken into consideration. Considering he has so many years left in the tank though, that season probably won't even be a factor in deciding whether or not he was the greatest goalie of all time. By the end of his career, he seems a shoe in for the Hall of Fame. But if he does not win a cup? He won't have been the best goalie ever. 

I just wish that when talking about the best goalie ever, people would at least mention Ken Dryden...what a career.

Carey Price is the best goalie of his time, and he probably will win a cup or two, best technique ever, redefining the position of goaltender, like Roy did in his day.

14 minutes ago, KoRP said:

I just wish that when talking about the best goalie ever, people would at least mention Ken Dryden...what a career.

Carey Price is the best goalie of his time, and he probably will win a cup or two, best technique ever, redefining the position of goaltender, like Roy did in his day.

Dryden's rep probably suffers a bit from having had such a machine in front of him. But yeah, as careers go, it's kind of astonishing what he accomplished.

1 hour ago, KoRP said:

As a kid I thought Dryden was one cool dude and they just won so often it was pretty sweet...but with so many hall of famer skaters on those teams, it is hard to give him as much credit as Roy winning with a couple of fairly average rosters, Brodeur kept just playing and playing forever at a high level and Hasek who was in the zone flipping and flopping stopping everything for 5 or 10 years and was carrying a fairly mediocre Sabre team also.

But Dryden is my sentimental favourite for sure.

1 hour ago, Trizzak said:

Carey Price is really dreamy. I'm not gay, but if he tried to kiss me I'd probably only resist a little bit...

Just giving a different kind of Carey Price appreciation.

Bahahaha. That's funny right there.

1 hour ago, Trizzak said:

Carey Price is really dreamy. I'm not gay, but if he tried to kiss me I'd probably only resist a little bit...

Just giving a different kind of Carey Price appreciation.

If it makes you feel any better I'd flat out make

out with him if he could guarantee me a trip to the final. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Dryden's rep probably suffers a bit from having had such a machine in front of him. But yeah, as careers go, it's kind of astonishing what he accomplished.

I'd consider Dryden (followed by Bossy) to have the best short careers in NHL history. Nobody accomplished more in less time. Carey has already played two seasons more than Dryden.

Dryden also suffers (unfairly) from a mediocre Summit Series performance. 

(Best goalie of all time for me is still Hasek)

21 hours ago, habs rule said:

Golfing with St Patrick? I would have been so nervous I would have  crapped myself and not broken 200. I usually am 90 to 95. You a lucky dog. Hmmm need an emoticon for that. Damn can't find one maybe make one?

Not only did I get to play golf on the same foursome, but I had supper with him and his buddies later on that same night. He's a pretty down to earth guy. Was having fun with his childhood buddies from Q.C. who had come down to MTL to play Golf with him!

Anyways, it was a glorious day for me. At the end of the evening I shook his hand(I couldn't resist) and told him he was my favorite player growing up!! He said that he hoped he didn't disappoint...I said never!

Not only did I get to play golf on the same foursome, but I had supper with him and his buddies later on that same night. He's a pretty down to earth guy. Was having fun with his childhood buddies from Q.C. who had come down to MTL to play Golf with him!

Anyways, it was a glorious day for me. At the end of the evening I shook his hand(I couldn't resist) and told him he was my favorite player growing up!! He said that he hoped he didn't disappoint...I said never!

amazing. You are my hero.:D

20 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Absolutely true. Dryden probably had the best team ever assembled playing in front of him. You could put a pee-wee goalie in front of the Habs net in the 70's, and they would've won just as many cups. I will however admit that according to many knowledgeable hockey people, Dryden STOLE the 1971 Stanley Cup!

44 minutes ago, Habsfan said:

Absolutely true. Dryden probably had the best team ever assembled playing in front of him. You could put a pee-wee goalie in front of the Habs net in the 70's, and they would've won just as many cups. I will however admit that according to many knowledgeable hockey people, Dryden STOLE the 1971 Stanley Cup!

Not really evidence of Dryden 'stealing' the Cup, but this footage is incredible - first, you see him make a whack of good saves and ultimately outdo Tony Esposito at the other end; and second, when you see the number of odd-man rushes and grade 'A' scoring chances, and just how much open ice there is, you really realize how crushing defensive systems and scientific coaching have drained so much excitement and beauty from the game. I can't recommend this footage enough.

41 minutes ago, Habsfan said:

Absolutely true. Dryden probably had the best team ever assembled playing in front of him. You could put a pee-wee goalie in front of the Habs net in the 70's, and they would've won just as many cups. 

Definitely not true. That's why the Habs lost in six games without Dryden in 74. Bunny was good but he wasn't great like Ken. That said if they never made that fateful deal with Boston to bring him over, the starting spot would have been Rogie Vachon's, who was a great goalie for his time. Montreal would have still been dominant (though in that scenario Dryden is a Bruin. Yikes!)

57 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Not really evidence of Dryden 'stealing' the Cup, but this footage is incredible - first, you see him make a whack of good saves and ultimately outdo Tony Esposito at the other end; and second, when you see the number of odd-man rushes and grade 'A' scoring chances, and just how much open ice there is, you really realize how crushing defensive systems and scientific coaching have drained so much excitement and beauty from the game. I can't recommend this footage enough.

Esposito also played pretty well in that footage. Lemaire's goal was crazy. Seems that would be an underrated moment in Canadiens' history for me. 

I wonder how many people would change the draft order in 2005?  It would be interesting, I'm guessing there are some people (me possibly one of them) that in retrospect would take him #1.

Yeah. You can argue about Sid the Kid vs. Carey Price, but Anaheim, Carolina and Minnesota sure missed an opportunity there.

(not to take the spotlight away from Carey, but the real steal for goaltenders that year was Jonathan Quick, drafted 72nd. Sure, Carey is better, but not 67 draft places better.)