Pre-Expansion Draft Discussion

Trizzak

Just now, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Danault is crazy to demand 6 plus million, especially during the current cap climate. 

He is a beast for certain but you get paid to score. Evans can shut down the opponents too. 

Good luck to whoever gives him 6+ million 

6 was just an example.  I have no information that is what he's demanding. 

I'm just saying Bergevin has an upper limit and if Danault is asking beyond that, he's saying I won't go beyond my final offer.  you can look at other teams but the offer remains on the table (for now).

I can see Van salivating at signing Danault - assuming they can clear out some of their absurdly high quota of dead cap space. True to form, they would overpay. On the other hand Danault would clearly be their #3, a role he claims not to want despite his offensive mediocrity. My guess is that he would take the money, however.

I agree with Commandant (and by extension Bergevin). Don’t overpay for a checker.

Interesting trade idea via twitter.

Colorado has no goalie worth protecting (Grubauer is UFA right now).

Allen to Colorado for Nazem Kadri, with Naz replacing Danault.  Would you do it?  I would.

8 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Allen to Colorado for Nazem Kadri, with Naz replacing Danault.  Would you do it?  I would.

No, don’t like his antics 

44 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I do this without hesitation. 

Kahdri’s antics are born of playoff compete levels. He isn’t a dirty bastard doing dirty bastard things. 

Then we sign one of the several UFA goalies available 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

With Kadri, you buy one year for 4.5 million, and hope that Evans or Poehling is ready for that third line role in one year's team.  If not you can try to re-sign Kadri. 

56 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Kahdri’s antics are born of playoff compete levels. He isn’t a dirty bastard doing dirty bastard things. 

The thought of Kadri had occurred to me as well (although not in the Allen context) ... I would do it.

Grubauer was a Vezina Nominee this season (co-leader in shutouts, 2nd in GAA and wins) ... but then had a mediocre playoffs ... whether COL wants to risk losing him to Seattle may well depend on what PG is asking for (i.e., how likely is it that Seattle would sign him, whether to play or be trade bait).

As for Kadri, in his 2nd-4th full-time seasons he was suspended once each season, for a total of 11 games (November 2013: three games for interference with Niklas Backstrom; March 2015: four games for an illegal hit to the head of Matt Fraser; April 2016: four games for cross-checking Luke Glendening)    ...     But since then it has been only in the playoffs (April 2018: 3 games for a hit on BBs Tommy Wingels; April 2019: remainder of the Bruins – Maple Leafs series (3-5 games) for a dangerous hit on Jake DeBrusk; May 2021: 8 games for hit on Justin Faulk.).

One could also hope that with a balls-out but rarely crossing the line example like Gallagher (and hopefully Perry) on his team, Kadri might learn how to properly walk the line with his aggressiveness.

3 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Kadri’s antics are born of playoff compete levels. He isn’t a dirty bastard doing dirty bastard things. 

Six league suspensions, two league fines, and a team suspension. Only Tom Wilson is a dirtier player in the league right now. (Edit: Oh, and Brad Marchand.) And you can't ignore the fact that THREE of his suspensions have resulted in his team being eliminated while he is sitting in the press box. It is bad for that to happen once, but three times in inexcusable. He cannot be relied upon.

May 21, 2021-Suspended by the NHL for 8 games (did not play again).
Apr 15, 2019-Suspended by the NHL for the remainder of the first round.
Apr 13, 2018-Suspended by the NHL for 3 games (did not play again).
Apr 04, 2016-Fined $88,172 by the NHL.
Apr 04, 2016-Suspended by the NHL for 4 games.
Apr 01, 2016-Fined $5,000 by the NHL.
Mar 18, 2015-Suspended by the NHL for 4 games.
Mar 13, 2015-Missed 3 games (disciplinary).
Nov 14, 2013-Suspended by the NHL for 3 games.

Edited by Fanpuck33

Another, cheaper option, would be Jared McCann, who IMO would put up at least 40 points in a Danault role, and has had excellent defensive analytics in Pittsburgh. 

Rumours are that the Penguins will leave him unprotected amongst their 7 forwards. 

Rumours also indicate that the Penguins only have 2 defencemen that they want to protect. 

What about Kulak + a pick for McCann?

24 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Another, cheaper option, would be Jared McCann, who IMO would put up at least 40 points in a Danault role, and has had excellent defensive analytics in Pittsburgh. 

Rumours are that the Penguins will leave him unprotected amongst their 7 forwards. 

Rumours also indicate that the Penguins only have 2 defencemen that they want to protect. 

A good option, and certainly more cap-friendly ($2.94M) for next season ... wouldn't mind giving up Kulak ... nice player but don't see not much of a role next season unless he or someone else plays out of position of the right-side ... which is not ideal.

1 hour ago, Fanpuck33 said:

Six league suspensions, two league fines, and a team suspension. Only Tom Wilson is a dirtier player in the league right now. (Edit: Oh, and Brad Marchand.) And you can't ignore the fact that THREE of his suspensions have resulted in his team being eliminated while he is sitting in the press box. It is bad for that to happen once, but three times in inexcusable. He cannot be relied upon.

May 21, 2021-Suspended by the NHL for 8 games (did not play again).
Apr 15, 2019-Suspended by the NHL for the remainder of the first round.
Apr 13, 2018-Suspended by the NHL for 3 games (did not play again).
Apr 04, 2016-Fined $88,172 by the NHL.
Apr 04, 2016-Suspended by the NHL for 4 games.
Apr 01, 2016-Fined $5,000 by the NHL.
Mar 18, 2015-Suspended by the NHL for 4 games.
Mar 13, 2015-Missed 3 games (disciplinary).
Nov 14, 2013-Suspended by the NHL for 3 games.

I should have looked this up because I only remembered the three playoff suspensions. Two with the leafs and one with Colorado and those were in the thick of hard playoff play. 

I like players with jam and he has it but this is indeed a concerning trend for him. 

Im humming and hawing over this but I think that I’d still make the trade. 

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

How many times has "Make It So" been demanded by anyone other than Picard?  - Science Fiction & Fantasy Stack Exchange

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Commandant said:

With Kadri, you buy one year for 4.5 million, and hope that Evans or Poehling is ready for that third line role in one year's team.  If not you can try to re-sign Kadri. 

With a Kadri, you hope he will help to get you into the playoffs, but you better have someone ready because he is just dumb enough to get suspended in the playoffs.

10 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

How is norm for playoff compete, when he does something stupid every playoff and isn’t available TO compete???

7 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

How is norm for playoff compete, when he does something stupid every playoff and isn’t available TO compete???

He plays really hard and all 3 of those playoff suspensions were quick plays that have also been ruled as non suspensions all season long. 

KK has been suspended in similar plays and KK has been the recipient of similar hits that results in no suspensions. 

Khadri isn’t running around head hunting people 

3 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

He plays really hard and all 3 of those playoff suspensions were quick plays that have also been ruled as non suspensions all season long. 

KK has been suspended in similar plays and KK has been the recipient of similar hits that results in no suspensions. 

Kadri isn’t running around head hunting people 

Yes, he absolutely is. Four, and arguably five, of his suspensions have been for head hunting where he consciously went after the head. Three of them were, in fact, retaliatory plays.  This is a guy who loses control and repeatedly hurts his team when it matters the most. With the kind of beating the refs let Gallagher take game in game out, you think Kadri is a guy who is going to stay within the rules to stand up for him?

Suspension 1: His first suspension is his least egregious and not even the league believed it was intentional. He was driving hard to the net with his focus on the puck and ran over the goalie. This one actually is just the result of playing hard. This was, indeed, just a quick play.

Suspension 2: His second suspension could have gone either way as to whether or not it was intentional. Was he trying to squeeze by to avoid contact or did he intentionally leave his elbow out? Either way, he was focused solely on the player and not the puck. Even if he did try to avoid contact at the last moment, he was going for the hit coming around the net.

Suspension 3: The first of his retaliatory hits. He and Glendening are really going at it and Kadri loses it and goes right for the face with a crosscheck. This isn't a guy just playing with intensity.

Suspension 4: This is an extremely dirty retaliatory play. Wingles got his elbow up into Marner and Kadri goes right after him. He sees WIngles on hit knees and doesn't hold back at all. He drives the entire weight of his torso into Wingles' head. He could have broken his neck or worse. This was an absolutely disgusting hit and was not just a quick play or a guy playing hard.

Suspension 5: This is kind of a combination of the last two. You've got DeBrusk laying a questionable hit on Marleau and you've got Kadri losing his temper and deciding to handle it by cross checking a guy in the face/neck. Again, this was not just a quick play or a guy playing hard.

Suspension 6: The most recent hit on Faulk. I'm not aware of any retaliatory motivation, but again, this isn't just a quick play from a guy playing with intensity. It is a blatant and intentional hit to the head. When you've been suspended 5 times already for hits to the head, there is no more benefit of the doubt. He knocked the guy out cold.

Also, when has KK ever been suspended?

1 hour ago, Fanpuck33 said:

Yes, he absolutely is. Four, and arguably five, of his suspensions have been for head hunting where he consciously went after the head. Three of them were, in fact, retaliatory plays.  This is a guy who loses control and repeatedly hurts his team when it matters the most. With the kind of beating the refs let Gallagher take game in game out, you think Kadri is a guy who is going to stay within the rules to stand up for him?

Suspension 1: His first suspension is his least egregious and not even the league believed it was intentional. He was driving hard to the net with his focus on the puck and ran over the goalie. This one actually is just the result of playing hard. This was, indeed, just a quick play.

Suspension 2: His second suspension could have gone either way as to whether or not it was intentional. Was he trying to squeeze by to avoid contact or did he intentionally leave his elbow out? Either way, he was focused solely on the player and not the puck. Even if he did try to avoid contact at the last moment, he was going for the hit coming around the net.

Suspension 3: The first of his retaliatory hits. He and Glendening are really going at it and Kadri loses it and goes right for the face with a crosscheck. This isn't a guy just playing with intensity.

Suspension 4: This is an extremely dirty retaliatory play. Wingles got his elbow up into Marner and Kadri goes right after him. He sees WIngles on hit knees and doesn't hold back at all. He drives the entire weight of his torso into Wingles' head. He could have broken his neck or worse. This was an absolutely disgusting hit and was not just a quick play or a guy playing hard.

Suspension 5: This is kind of a combination of the last two. You've got DeBrusk laying a questionable hit on Marleau and you've got Kadri losing his temper and deciding to handle it by cross checking a guy in the face/neck. Again, this was not just a quick play or a guy playing hard.

Suspension 6: The most recent hit on Faulk. I'm not aware of any retaliatory motivation, but again, this isn't just a quick play from a guy playing with intensity. It is a blatant and intentional hit to the head. When you've been suspended 5 times already for hits to the head, there is no more benefit of the doubt. He knocked the guy out cold.

Also, when has KK ever been suspended?

You might be right about Khadri. I just see the same plays ruled as clean throughout the season. 

KK I believe was suspended two seasons ago and he was ejected again last playoff for the same type of hit but did not get suspended a second time. 

Am I mis remembering the KK suspension?

The whole argument could be cleared if we had consistent standards in all rules. 

4 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

You might be right about Kadri. I just see the same plays ruled as clean throughout the season. 

KK I believe was suspended two seasons ago and he was ejected again last playoff for the same type of hit but did not get suspended a second time. 

Am I misremembering the KK suspension?

The whole argument could be cleared if we had consistent standards in all rules. 

The NHL's inconsistency about suspensions doesn't make a dirty player/hit clean, it just means the Department of Player Safety is garbage.

I do recall an ejection or two for Kotkianiemi, but I don't find any mention of a suspension in his transaction/injury/suspension history. I also don't think his hit on Sanheim compares at all to Kadri's hits. Sanheim's head did hit the glass, but the primary point of contact was the body. All of Kadri's suspensions involve direct contact to the head.  JK's hit was a tad late, but the only reason the hit was to the back was because Sanheim saw him coming and turned. He was lined up for a shoulder-on-shoulder hit by the time Sanheim was done with the follow through on the dump in, but Sanheim then gave up his back. That should have just been 2 minutes.

All that being said, until this last suspension I would have been willing to give him a shot. Part of me forgave him because the playoff hits were on Bruins, and part of me forgave him because playing for the Leafs would certainly be rage inducing. Especially when he went all last season without a suspension, I thought maybe he'd gone to anger management or something. But a third playoff-ending suspension in four years.... Three strikes and you're out.

seems we got one right

On 7/15/2021 at 10:19 AM, tomh009 said:

The Athletic is predicting they take Hill and Vanecek.

On 7/14/2021 at 8:19 PM, Commandant said:

Drieger

Adin Hill 

and Vanecek

If they don't take Allen.

On 7/14/2021 at 7:22 PM, alfredoh2009 said:

Ok, looking at very likely unprotected goaltenders that may be taken by the Kraken besides Allen. Who would you pick?

image.png

Vanecek

image.png

Campbell

image.png

Nedeljovic

image.png

Hill

image.png

Driedger

image.png

DeSmith

image.png

Or Allen?

I am pretty surprised by this. I know his first season in Columbus went poorly, but I can't believe they value Eric Robinson and Kevin Stenlund enough to lose him for nothing. I thought they would try to unload Gustav Nyqvist's contract.

So ............ unless MB has worked something out with Ron Francis it looks like Allen is likely gone ... personally hoping MB is just planning on looking for another backup ... Francis reportedly is asking for a top prospect and pick, or first and decent prospect, to not draft Allen ... wonder whether post-expansion draft we will find he will have "pulled off a Vegas" and stockpiled extra picks/prospects or overplayed his hand by asking for too much.

22 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

We'll see if they actually did or not - I'm surprised it even got considered.

I have wondered if they might give thought to it. It's hard to imagine an expansion team wanting to take on that age and contract for themselves, and the contract and NMC clause make selecting him just to trade him pretty difficult. Even so, it would certainly be a ballsy move. 

I bet Grubauer is hoping that they expose Price and he gets picked. Having a team with both need and cap space would give him a big boost in negotiating power.